• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Cool light of day

pitmaster

21 hours ago, BDA said:

During the finals campaign of 21 we were purring. Moving the ball with purpose and freedom and belief. What inspired that? Where has that gone?

We play with too much fear now. The balance is slanted too much towards defence in my opinion.

I don’t know if its in Goody’s make up or not but the players have to be allowed to express themselves sometimes. There’s a weight holding them down the last 2 seasons. It’s all system system system. And system is important, don’t get me wrong, but players need to be let play. I think the straight jacket is impacting our decision making. We take the safe option or wrong option too often.

And I might just be talking through my hat. But if I’m a player I’d rather die with my boots on than be caught out playing the percentages over and over and losing in the same way.

I agree to an extent taking the last two years as a whole but I thought we came out against Carlton playing with more movement and freedom, ie quick play on, using the corridor etc. So is it a coaching thing or do the players revert to the safer options when games tighten up?

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Dodos Demons said:

We have a few off half back. Just be nice to have (or recruit) some forward of centre. My fear is that we are in the premiership window now so don’t have too many years to find and refine. I have faith in our recruiters. Important trade period. 

Bowey to half forward

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

I agree to an extent taking the last two years as a whole but I thought we came out against Carlton playing with more movement and freedom, ie quick play on, using the corridor etc. So is it a coaching thing or do the players revert to the safer options when games tighten up?

I don't know. We just seem to tighten up. There's a weight there. I can feel it, the crowd can feel it. There's a mental block or burden there which needs to be overcome. Thats my sense anyway. could be wrong of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tracca said:

Add to the fact we literally had no ruck in our f50……. Petracca rucking wtf give me a spell

Exactly.  So many in the box getting paid the big $$ and none of them could see it from half time onwards.

Shacky had to come on for T-Mac and take the ruck while Maxy rested up forward (or on the bench resting)

Visa versa when Maxy rucked.

I didnt write much in the game day thread but certainly mentioned this at half time.

We even trialled Kozzy at FF for a large chunk of the third.  Not sure about the fourth as i was behind the goals Punt Rd end

Edited by Demon Dynasty

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Bowey to half forward

Yes this should at least be on the radar in the off season.

Trial Bowsa, Salo and also AMW as HFs in the off season competing for the Chandler & Spargo roles.

Chandler was super ordinary in the 2nd half of the season and needs to go back to VFL and work on some aspects of his game.  Particularly crumbing and goals.  Rarely hits the scoreboard.

Spargo also rarely bothers the scorer but can add value in other areas.  But is that enough.  Can we get similar output from Bowsa or or Woe (both!!) and occasionaly hit the scoreboard!?

Start blooding Howes and / or Woe onto one of the wings as soon as they show some solid form in the VFL.

I'd even consider playing both if Lingers doesn't hit the ground running early in 24.

There's no transitional run or overlap happening on the Hunter side so i'd start there with Howes.

Even if we don't trial Woe on a wing i'd still have him on rotations through the middle behind Sparrow.  Still a little ways off but with another pre-season and a bunch of early games at Casey to tighten up the decision making / disposal and improve the tank.

Kids got some decent toe & classy by foot when he's in form.  He'll take time to get used to the tempo and physical side but lets get some games into him once he hits form at Casey and see where he's at.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1

Tomlinson proved his worth once again.  He's no May or Lever but he plays such an important role and that will only be magnified if Petty becomes the forward we hope he will be. Of all of the players spoken about moving on he is the one we need to keep. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

To say the season is a waste is wrong. JVR alone made it worthwhile. The defensive game plan fails if you don’t covert. Bad kicking can’t be underestimated as a cause of the loss. It hurt but reviewed the last quarter.Two decision were particularly appalling. Sparrow legitimately tackles a guy over boundary and then is attacked. Tries to protect himself and is pinged. Example one of complete lack of game awareness by the umpire. TMac jumps over a player and is pinged by umpire 22 incredible decision. He then yells at Clarry who clearly doesn’t hear him and give 50. Example two there 96000 people screaming and it does not occur to that primped up little xxxx he might not have heard him. Cost us a chance at goal and led to Carltank second last goal. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Older demon said:

For those who haven't seen it please look up Russel Robertsons post on Facebook and Insta. He made me feel a whole lot better with a calm measured assessment of the season and the need to have team stability and continuity which we didn't have as well as the new blood injected into the team. He said everything I hope Goodwin would say but didn't. Well done Robbo, he is hurting and details how much it hurt losing finals in his day.

Disappointed that all Goodwin could offer is one of his motherhood statements about dealing with adversity and learnings, I am so sick of hearing his corporate speak.

Yes, we need Goodwin to show more "guts" otherwise feels like a rehearsed speech and gives us no certainty of "learnings".

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ned said:

Maybe try and get Whitfield? Great decision-maker and kicker. Just a thought.

He was available last year, pretty sure I got vomit and face palm emoji’s for suggesting we go after him. His strengths would have complemented our list greatly in my opinion. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

We were 7 points up with a minute to play…

Good Sides don’t lose from there. 
We have lost 4 Finals in 2 years on the MCG. That is a Failure, and big changes must occur over Summer

Changes need to occur but we won't be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. We have a lot that is right, just need to address some of our deficiencies.

That last 90 seconds reminded me of the last 90 seconds against the Blues in 2022 but with roles reversed. We did everything wrong and they took advantage.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Changes need to occur but we won't be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. We have a lot that is right, just need to address some of our deficiencies.

That last 90 seconds reminded me of the last 90 seconds against the Blues in 2022 but with roles reversed. We did everything wrong and they took advantage.

Oh yes i agree. The correct changes need to be made. Careful consideration…

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

We were 7 points up with a minute to play…

Good Sides don’t lose from there. 
We have lost 4 Finals in 2 years on the MCG. That is a Failure, and big changes must occur over Summer

Yeah, we don’t need to go all Elon Musk here. Given your inside mail, the club will be forced to make some changes. That in itself could have big impact. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Doug Reemer said:

I’m all for GWS knocking the pies out in a prelim. 

Yes me too. But the person mentioned that we are Port in 2001-03 and called us chokers. Well if we are, then Bris beating Pies again like in 02/03 ain't so bad a result either. Hence the response 

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1

On 9/16/2023 at 8:29 AM, Dingo said:

If Grundy was the sub ,He could have gone into the ruck in the last quarter.Take McDonald off and put Max into the forward line.

Christ I and a few others said the same thing!! BRAINLESS team selections

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Demons11 said:

Give the bloke a break FFS.  They hit those pressers straight after the game and I can only imagine the disappointment and anger he feels and has to hold it all together.  Do you really want him to come out and blast the players or make injuries as an excuse.  

Read what Robbo said! I never said I wanted him to blast players or make excuses nor did Robbo. He knows there is a presser and he says the same stuff every week. He is a well paid experienced coach and post match press conferences come with the territory and this was the 4th final in a row this experienced team has lost. Robbo put it beautifully when he said you need consistency and stability in finals and the facts of the matter are we had neither. 

• Like 1

Genuine question - why is there so much hate for us on the socials? Sure we won a flag, but I don't get it. It's mainly from supporters of clubs who have been nowhere near it for years.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Ill play devils advocate. 

Not being a pedant, but genuinely curious.  

In your view....what DO we have right ?

( not for a moment suggesting there's nothing right )...but what is ?? 

4 minutes ago, Clintosaurus said:

Genuine question - why is there so much hate for us on the socials? Sure we won a flag, but I don't get it. It's mainly from supporters of clubs who have been nowhere near it for years.

Demographics, we're seen as toffs from the top end of town so people revel in our misfortune.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Ill play devils advocate. 

Not being a pedant, but genuinely curious.  

In your view....what DO we have right ?

( not for a moment suggesting there's nothing right )...but what is ?? 

Our defence, our midfield, our structures - even our forward line I think we have a good mix but not much depth in key position stocks. TMac and Brown got us a flag but it was their last crack, they are now finished.

We have a very very good head coach who has won a flag and got us top 4 after H&A 3 years running. He has developed a great rapport with the players which has seen all our key players sign long term despite significant interest elsewhere. He has developed a gameplan which is sound and stacks up with the best teams.

Where we fail is in our execution, we could do with a couple of elite ball users, one in the midfield, one at half forward. We need a back up ruck considering Grundy is gone.

I would shuffle our assistants, Stafford should go, Yze will go, we could use a ball movement coach ala Caracella. I think Goodwin could do with some freshing up in the coaches box, some new ideas to challenge/reinvigorate him.

Off-field we are kicking goals, Pert has done a great job, Roffey has been very good. 70k members, a potential home base at Caulfield.

We have a lot going right and fell short by a kick in two finals. Yes we can and should review and address our deficiencies but we have a lot going right, it is hard to finish top 4, harder still to win a flag. Had Petty stayed for we may have achieved that.

• Like 5
  • Thinking 1