Cool light of day

pitmaster

On 9/18/2023 at 6:54 PM, WalkingCivilWar said:

I’ve been told by a reliable source that Goody unleashed a scathing verbal attack on the whole team straight after Friday’s match. He didn’t hold back, it was brutal, he ripped right through them

I can't even image Goodwin giving a scathing brutal attack.  I thought that wasn't his style of coaching.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, greenwaves said:

I can't even image Goodwin giving a scathing brutal attack.  I thought that wasn't his style of coaching.  

It’s not his style of coaching, but he is human, just like everyone else. Anyways I’m just passing on what I’ve been told. 

5 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

It’s not his style of coaching, but he is human, just like everyone else. Anyways I’m just passing on what I’ve been told. 

it'll be interesting to see if he does bring them back to the training track earlier

i don't know what that will achieve personally

our fitness base and desire for the contest is not in question; our skills and composure most certainly is, the latter of which is mental

being berated after choking the way they did and then whipped on the track is not consistent with the leadership tropes goodwin has displayed previously

• Like 1

Just now, whatwhat say what said:

it'll be interesting to see if he does bring them back to the training track earlier

i don't know what that will achieve personally

our fitness base and desire for the contest is not in question; our skills and composure most certainly is, the latter of which is mental

being berated after choking the way they did and then whipped on the track is not consistent with the leadership tropes goodwin has displayed previously

Oftentimes things said in the heat of the moment aren’t the same as those said in the cool light of day. It was immediately after the game, heightened emotions and all that. 

Old school football "sprays" like the late great coach (and player) Ronald Dale Barassi used to do probably aren't very helpful if done constantly.

In the 1970s and 1980s it was very different too. No soft stuff back then! Coaches screaming at teams was done well into the 2000s. But this new generation is different and it won't work if done too much.

The problem with screaming is that it has no effect if you blast players constantly. Players just think you're an  unhinged [censored]!

I am also assuming Mark Neeld did that alot to no great effect! Dennis Jones way back in 1978 used to scream at the players too from what I was told. That's why he only lasted one year! Neale Daniher gave a few decent sprays too!

Anyway, as much as I am sure the Melbourne players didn't enjoy getting a spray from Simon Goodwin. I am sure Simon Goodwin didn't enjoy giving the spray either.

However, we as supporters probably feel the players "deserved" to be sprayed after what happened in the last 2 minutes of the game against Carlton. Especially because if we had held our composure we would of won!

I actually like hearing that Simon Goodwin "cracked it" as he is often too robotic at times in his media conferences. I prefer a more emotional Simon Goodwin.....on an occasional basis.

Plus, Simon Goodwin, as well as the players were devastated and they knew they "blew it" and you can't always be nice and pat them on the back and say "ohh good try!". I am sure Simon Goodwin will make amends with the players. The best thing the players can do now is forget about football for a while and go on holidays overseas or something. Come back refreshed and fit for Pre-Season. Then be determined to go all the way and win the flag in 2024.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2023 at 9:00 PM, manny100 said:

I think we actually gave it a good shake given the circumstances. Healthy teams win finals and premierships. In the lead up to the finals we lost Petty and Melksham who was in career best forward form.

The we lost Brayshaw in the opening minutes of the game against Collingwood which forced Petracca to play more mid further knackering our forward line.

Still we had the better of the magpies for the last 3 quarters.

JVR lost it and copped a week suspension further knackering our chances against Carlton where we kicked ourselves out of a win.

Agree with this.

On 9/21/2023 at 10:31 PM, greenwaves said:

Timing is everything..

After the season was over?

On 9/16/2023 at 12:25 PM, leave it to deever said:

Tx for mentioning the umpiring.  I know ultimately we lost it by poor kicking but with some balanced umpiring we would have won. Carlton got some very soft fries that directly caused goals. Umps were red hot on rolling over on top of the ball but for some reason just stopped paying it.

Carlton got a lot of 50 m penalties and we had none despite their infringements.

It wasn't just the many more frees paid to Carlton it was the many more they ignored paying us.

To add injury it got worse in the last quarter. Suspicious.

ive been saying for man years we need to invite the umpires down to have a discussion.

not questioning them but rather just saying we are doing something wrong. How do we rectify our style of play. look at some examples, those we give away and those we dont get that other teams do in the same situation. Im sure it wouldnt take much to find a good sample size. After friendly cooperation we could examine other teams as well.

JUst involving the umpires in the dialogue may make them aware how much we value them.