Maynard must get at least four weeks

leave it to deever

27 minutes ago, Supreme_Demon said:

Besides Viney I didn't see enough Demons players have a crack at Maynard afterwards.

The dog act Maynard did could of killed Bradshaw. Especially due to his history of concussions.

He should of been ironed out. Back in the 1980s or 1990s we would of gotten pay back and knocked him out. Thuggery needs to be responded with thuggery. To not do so makes us look weak.

Anyway, as you can tell, I am still extremely angry!!!! I will be BOOING the scumbag Maynard for the rest of his football career! 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

I am with you @Supreme_Demon

I wanted players to really go at Maynard.  To fly the flag for their mate.  It didn’t happen. Viney is the only tough guy clearly in the team.  I know we can’t throw punches but really strong tackles is the go. Go hard. We didn’t see it at all. 

Maynard is a piece of vile vomit as a bloke. Thug. Turns his shoulder to hit Brayshaw in the head. He wasn’t protecting himself. Duty of care.  Careless. Severe. Head high. That’s 3-4 weeks.  

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

I fall out of love with football just a little more every season.

Melbourne being a good side is keeping me going. But I am holding on for dear life.

I 100% get that.  I used to watch every game I could.  Now, I very rarely watch anything other than our game.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Bates Mate said:

I think the AFL will orchestrate the following.

Maynard gets 2 weeks (maybe 1or 3). That way the AFL can be seen to be protecting the players from concussion and litigation down the track.

The verdict gets appealed. Maynard plays in the prelim.

And that is exactly what is likely to happen! Can you imagine all the commentators if Maynard doesn't play in a GF? The AFL will act to protect itself and be seen to be doing something about it. We all know it's BS. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mrtwister said:

I've been caught in the air plenty of times in sport. If you're going to land on someone and there's a risk of injury, you 'catch' them with your hands as you come into contact to reduce the impact. It's not hard.

Was a footy act until he turned his body when the ball went passed. Then it became careless, high and severe.

Unfortunately, I've had to endure an entire morning of listening to Collingwood supporters aggressively going on and on about how there was NOTHING Maynard could have done to avoid what happened. One even claimed it's not his fault that Brayshaw has concussion history and if it was anyone else they would have just gotten up and played on. Claims that Maynard is the victim here. Hope I get through the day without going Walter Subcek at work.

I heard some of this [censored] as well with the so called [censored] host supporting them and killed the stream immediately.

That's the last time i ever bother.

Ever since Hutchy bought it out it's a paid AFL mouth piece so what you hear on there will also be the likely narrative at AFL HQ.  They're just parroting similar rubbish.

My gut feel from the Collingwood lead MRO ....

"An unfortunate incident.  Nothing he could do.  Cleared to play"

or a suspension later cleared on appeal as per the above

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1

MRO (pies premiership player)  will likely flick this straight to the tribunal. 

The AFL then has loads of time to figure out how to get him off or at the very worst a 1 week suspension misses prelim only.

Brayshaw was stretchered off the ground.  4-6 weeks suspension for a small club player.

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

I'm in the camp where accidents will happen on the footy field, but this was avoidable. The camera shot behind Maynard is damning. There was no reason for him to brace on contact. He was in no danger of being injured by a collision with Gus, if he just kept his arms up or straight ahead.

The correct penalty should be minimum of 4 weeks, but we know how the MRO and tribunal chook lotto works. He'll get off.

Edited by mo64
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Stiff Arm said:

Press and radio this morning softening the incident. Most saying it was a football act, he was already in the air and he was bracing for impact. 

Demon fans: prepare for a dismissal with Maynard becoming the victim

Brace for what impact??? Brayshaw was defenceless. Maynard had the option of not rotating his body and simply land. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The heart beats true said:

There’s an angle on The Age website from behind the goals…

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-finals-2023-collingwood-magpies-into-preliminary-final-brayden-maynard-faces-days-of-nerves-over-clash-20230907-p5e2xz.html

Maynard bunches up after the smoother. He just needed to put his hands out and push into a Brayshaw and both would have been fine. You can see he has the time, because Mitchell runs by in the same footage at speed and puts his hands up as the contact happens.

This is damning vision. He wanted to make sure brayshaw got hurt. What an absolute thug 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Stiff Arm said:

Or using his hands to catch or deflect Brayshaw rather than drop the shoulder

This is how I see it, 

Arms out, softens the blow, would lessen the blow whilst still offering an element of protecting for both players. 
Turns the shoulder, endangers the opposition player, only one outcome given the momentum 

Still see him avoiding a ban though

4 minutes ago, roy11 said:

This is how I see it, 

Arms out, softens the blow, would lessen the blow whilst still offering an element of protecting for both players. 
Turns the shoulder, endangers the opposition player, only one outcome given the momentum 

Still see him avoiding a ban though

How can you see him avoiding the ban when you just said he had another option?

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/finals-2023-melbourne-demons-angus-brayshaw-concussed-collingwood-magpies-brayden-maynard-clash/29d57409-a2ce-41f9-b82e-7a3ffb8ab77c

Hard to read this...how shattered he is but then talks about how innocent  he is.

Maybe taken out of context but all the pundits defending him too gives me the s12ts. So any one can smother by launching themselves 4ft in the air at breakneck speed ( lucky it wasnt) at a player with their arms in tge air and land by completely taking off the head of an opponent. 

Even with tge benefit of doubt how can this act not be negligent. How could one not think it may be dangerous?

If the afl is one percent fair dinkum about head injuries he will get a minimum of 3 weeks. No ifs and or bits. And Richo can go and GS.

• Like 1

This rubbish about it being simply an attempted spoil with an unfortunate accidental outcome.  I have never seen a spoil with that outcome before.  I don't mean the concussion, I mean the front on contact with the player.

Edited by sue
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, bandicoot said:

How can you see him avoiding the ban when you just said he had another option?

it's my opinion that he had another option but others may vary, personally I think he deserves a suspension but at the end of the day I don't have a lot of faith in the system. 

• Like 2

He's my tip  so that you carry on disliking me

Guilty careless, severe;2 weeks or whatever the rule says.

Appeal because now there is this  "football act" invention

Overturned  on appeal free to play

All that is in doubt is whether is a speedy process or it takes to the Thursday before the Prelim