Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: SF vs Carlton

Demonland

So, no McKay and Martin (He always plays well against us)

Does this mean we don't bring in Tomlinson? De Konig and Pettinot will play forward when swapping from the Ruck with Curnow as the only Big Forwards. 

2 minutes ago, SthSea22 said:

So, no McKay and Martin (He always plays well against us)

Does this mean we don't bring in Tomlinson? De Konig and Pettinot will play forward when swapping from the Ruck with Curnow as the only Big Forwards. 

Carlton has called their lawyer. Martin is odds on to get off.

• Vomit 1

1 minute ago, Jaded No More said:

Only if we can get the same lawyer on our payroll 

A Carlton player hasn't been suspended since 1976

Just had another look at the incident and there is no chance he gets. off

Hit him flush

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rpfc said:

Yeah, First Crack isolated the stilted and stifling play off half back where we went sideways and didn’t reward blokes that got free in the middle - culprits were the backs and the wingers. 

This is not surprising and extremely disappointing that we seemingly didn’t use the last 6 weeks to learn new habits to win games at the risk of losing them.

And now we have enabled our own demise not looking to expose and be bold. We are tight and worried and that is not the definition of a flag winning team.

Can Goodwin release them? Is not this why you are on the bench like a soccer manager? 

Because one manager I know used to yell at his Celtic team to “pass it [censored] FORWARD!”

That was damning and showed a real structural problem

May and Lever pushed high up the ground Hill or the other Coll fwds would sprint as soon as the Pies won possession and outnumber us in our D50. They had multiple players free on many occasions and they kicked straight.

We let them use the corridor and we were stagnant and refused to look inside. they showed vision where - a number of times - we had multiple players free in the middle but we stopped and then kicked long down the line. Absolutely to instruction.

We are out in straight sets again unless he changes something.

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

44 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

May and Lever pushed high up the ground Hill or the other Coll fwds would sprint as soon as the Pies won possession and outnumber us in our D50. They had multiple players free on many occasions and they kicked straight.

We let them use the corridor and we were stagnant and refused to look inside. they showed vision where - a number of times - we had multiple players free in the middle but we stopped and then kicked long down the line. Absolutely to instruction.

For 2 and a half quarters the corridor didn't exist to us. We looked like we were just sticking with the system and hoping things would change at some point. The moment we dared to take it on through the middle was when we had the most fortune scoring. 

We needed to vary the entries into 50, even some quick and messy balls in at least hitting the deck in hard to defend situations would have been better than the same old slow long ball to stationary forwards approach. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

7 minutes ago, layzie said:

For 2 and a half quarters the corridor didn't exist to us. We looked like we were just sticking with the system and hoping things would change at some point. The moment we dared to take it on through the middle was when we had the most fortune scoring. 

We needed to vary the entries into 50, even some quick and messy balls in at least hitting the deck in hard to defend situations would have been better than the same old slow long ball to stationary forwards approach. 

I have found that with teams I coach - those that run and get into good positions and get ignored - they end up not bothering because why would you? Why would you do that extra running and effort only to get ignored?

Team sports, and the roles within, are about empathy and trust - in yourselves and in others. And we talk about being ‘defence first’ too much - to the point where we do not trust ourselves to kick it to where we might advantage ourselves because it will also heighten the risk that it may disadvantage ourselves. 

May needs to stop yelling and screaming at mistakes, Lever needs to play on at all occasions, McVee and Rivers need to be assisted to drive us forward, Goodwin needs to stop saying the D word and we need to get it quickly to our best forwards - who are good enough to get us a winning score.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 3

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

The risk of pressing so high is that we get caught over the back occasionally but our defence was excellent for the most part. But Collingwood only had 15 shots for the whole game and just 9 shots after quarter time. I wouldn't be changing the way we defend.

The issue with our tactics is much more with our ball use inside 50 (and our forwards competing better to get the ball to ground).

• Like 7

Posted elsewhere, but realised it probably sits better here...

I have been bummed for a few days but right now, I'm feeling OK. 

There are really only one of two ways the first bounce goes this Friday.

Either we breathe FIRE from the first second - because the reality is we entered the finals better than last year (aside from the decimation of our forward line - but we were finding ways to score, and our defence is solid) - and the boys will know that and will not let the blues take this from us. They may have a few obviously solid guns, but we are a better team, even without a forward line (with a forward line we destroy the Pies, and GWS/Port en route to the GF... ), in our last game they played out of their skins, we were average and we only lost due to arc madness. With everything on the line, I think the Blues are tiring and we have a statement to make. It's overdue now. 

OR we come out the same way against the Pies. Sleepy, late, sloppy, bombing balls into the 50 with no learnings at all, having to chase, in which case we likely lose, because the Blues will bank on that, and will probably expect it. Then we have to deep dive over summer because skills aside, there's a mental issue - 2 straight sets with our list is v bad.

BUT - I think it's the former. We come out and raise hell for 4 quarters and give the Lions something to think about. 

(I think we beat the Lions, we just have to get there)

• Thinking 2

45 minutes ago, old dee said:

Changed your mind Mr. Leg?

Or just put a full stop on it @Redleg?

As for team selection, I'm not saying that we should pick Schache, but if we don't then it does beg the question as to why he's on the list. If it is for insurance / break-glass-in-case-of-emergency situations then how much emergency is required and how thick is the glass?

• Haha 1

On 9/10/2023 at 11:33 AM, Deespicable said:

A couple of amendments to my earlier team, which was based on Harmes playing and he's now out.

There are two big changes required this week.

The first is to drop the red mist - a term Garry Lyon dubbed on our dump long kicks three years ago before we turned it all around in 2021 and used the short low pass to pry open defences. Moore et al had a field day with the long bombs on Thursday night and Weitering, who loves to sag back, will be salivating at the prospect of such an assault. Unfortunately our best lateral thinker - Brayshaw - will be out and our best lead-up player Melky is out. Our best two clever chip kicks from 2021  weren't around either on Thursday - Spargo (overlooked) and the Christian Salem we used to know.

So the first thing to do is for Goody to have a long confidence-building chat with Salem and ask him to take the game on and take risks like the old Sallo did. And the other thing is to bring Spargo in and that means Chandler has to go - we can't have four vertically challenged guys in our forward line - it's the wrong balance. A chat with our biggest distributor Olly about looking inboard or for the lead-up option wouldn't hurt either.

The second change is to the forward make-up. Three players kicked 14 goals against Richmond six weeks ago, but none of them will be playing on Friday, so it's a tricky reconfigure. But here's my fifty cents worth.

We are all hoping that Grundy plays like a forward for once, but why are we doing that when we know it won't work because he's not quick enough to lead-up and he's not a great leaping aerialist. But he is a genuinely good ruckman - we saw that first hand when Gawny was injured. So, it's time to go back and playing him there and putting the pressure on the skipper to take a hit for the team. Gawn has to play a forward for almost the entire game. For once Goody has to make Grundy the main man and Gawn the key man. We all know Gawny will mark it if not held down, so Carlton will have to deploy Gov and Weitering close to him to stop him.

The second change to our forward mix has already been alluded to by Goody who made it clear that Angus going down, forced him to play Trac in the middle. It didn't actually because Rivers was an option but we chose to go small with the sub, when we knew the Pies were much taller than us. The advantage with Trac is that he demands the ball and means that players will be more willing to try the chip kick when he's around up there.

Ultimately the rest of the magnets don't matter so much as once you have your best two players down there, along with your two other livewire goalkickers - Pickett and Fritsch - you have a combo that will kick a winning total.

But for arguments sake - Jordon has to play and in the guts. And Rivers has to be given a run in there early as well. Sparrow plays hard on Walsh, Rivers tags Cripps and follows him when he goes forward.

A decision on whether to play Turner in our back mix is needed as well, although that depends on whether Durdin comes in for McKay. Carlton has bunch of quick tackling forwards who aren't much chop but because they all work their butts off, they are dangerous - Cunningham, Fogarty, Motlop, Owies and Cottrell. May takes Curnow, Hibberd takes Motlop and McVee takes the quickest who I think is Owies and if Durdin plays then Lever has a good match-up. With McKay out, TDK will play more as a forward so either Turner or Smith are required top counter his height a bit. 

And the choice of the sub has to be debated long and hard at the selection table.

There are a few choices - we can make Chandler the sub and hope that we don't lose a big to injury early. Or if we drop T-Mac as I suspect we will, then both he or Schache may be required as sub, because that means we gone mega small and having another small on the bench is as stupid as it was the other night.  The thing with T-Mac is that he's still smart, he's just way too slow. But coming on late his lack of pace is negated a bit because everyone is tired.

Out: Brayshaw, van Rooyen, T-Mac, Chandler.

In: Jordon, Grundy, Turner, Spargo

B: McVee May Hibberd

HB: Bowey Turner Lever

C: Langdon Rivers Hunter

HF: Smith Gawn Spargo

F: Pickett Petracca Fritsch 

Ru: Grundy Oliver Viney

Int: Sparrow (mid), Jordon (mid), ANB (fwd), Salem (def)

Sub: Chandler or T-Mac/Schache - decision based on whether Carlton goes big or small - Durdin or Hollands for McKay.

I partly agree with this side but no to Turner Spargo  Make Smith the Sub keep Chandler and recall Grundy Jordon  Schache  as a Defensive Forward on Weithering  outs Tommy Mac Angus Van Rooyen Play Bowey on the Ball  and 

Replace Goodwin with  our AFLW Coach he listens to his assistants and has flare and daring

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, TRIGON said:

Or just put a full stop on it @Redleg?

As for team selection, I'm not saying that we should pick Schache, but if we don't then it does beg the question as to why he's on the list. If it is for insurance / break-glass-in-case-of-emergency situations then how much emergency is required and how thick is the glass?

The problem is in the games he has played he has contributed very little. Vs picking ah all Aust ruckman who has played some good games and occasionally kicks a couple of goals. Easy choice for me. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jnrmac said:

The other thing i noticed was that Collingwood had about 5-6 players sitting at the top of their D50 arc waiting for a turnover. They clearly have the fitness to continue its execution, however i dont see how they can beat the lions with this gamestyle.

I agree with Goodwin in that we played the right way and that the Pies were really lucky with their conversion and ability to convert when they got out the back. If we do somehow getup against the Blues and Lions, i think we will get the Pies on GF.

• Like 2

Just now, old dee said:

The problem is in the games he has played he has contributed very little. Vs picking ah all Aust ruckman who has played some good games and occasionally kicks a couple of goals. Easy choice for me. 

I don't disagree @old dee (hey, that rhymes). I do question the timing of the contract extension, perhaps we could have waited a few weeks?

52 minutes ago, Ferghus31 said:

I partly agree with this side but no to Turner Spargo  Make Smith the Sub keep Chandler and recall Grundy Jordon  Schache  as a Defensive Forward on Weithering  outs Tommy Mac Angus Van Rooyen Play Bowey on the Ball  and 

Replace Goodwin with  our AFLW Coach he listens to his assistants and has flare and daring

Flare and daring...gee, guess which other coach this year comes to mind with these two words...give you a clue...they finished on top!