• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: SF vs Carlton

Demonland

5 hours ago, mauriesy said:

"Bombing" comes about because sides are too slow moving the ball in transition after a turnover. The opposition gets all their players back in the defensive half, and then when the ball carrier looks up (often under pressure) all they see is a congested forward line with no space to lead into. Port Adelaide had the same problem last night.

Move the ball faster and the forward line will open up more.

And more direct ie use the bloody corridor

2 hours ago, old dee said:

I not sure why everyone fails to understand the simply facts of winning and losing. If you dont score more than the opposition you lose. You might have actually played better but they did not put a winning score on the board

I always thought we would struggle with Tmac and JVR as our key forwards. As I expected we got very little from Tmac and not much more from the Roo.

This week we don't even have JVR, to be honest I think The Bun with give us more as a ruckman than JVR and as much as a forward. I hope we put on a good effort but I don't expect us to win. Again No good KPF's IMO you need as an absolutely minority One KPF to be  playing well in finals games. Carlton have a good backline if our KPF's give us nothing we lose.

Yet if Fritsch converts two pretty straightforward set shots we win despite our lack of KPF. Of course it would be easier with a gun KPF but it's not impossible without one.

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

23 minutes ago, DEE fence said:

I also don't think a week off for JvR is the end of the world, he needs a reset, has some work to do for the prelim. Wasn't happy with his game at all.

With so many forward injured or out of form we can't afford to lose him to suspension. Very undisciplined on his behalf. He's young so I'll cut him some slack but he needs to get that nonsense out of his game. It's costing us.

If we are going to win, the midfield, wings and half back players need to be kicking goals.

This game will be a carbon copy of the last time we played, and Thursday nights. We will need to score more than 80 points to win, this 60 points BS and expecting to win is BS.  

defensively we are great, we need to find at least 5 more goals. 

I know Im preaching to the converted here, Im a bit drunk and still ****ty with Thursday night. 

#godees #demonspirit #footballisstillcominghome

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

3 minutes ago, cookieboc said:

If we are going to win, the midfield, wings and half back players need to be kicking goals.

This game will be a carbon copy of the last time we played, and Thursday nights. We will need to score more than 80 points to win, this 60 points BS and expecting to win is BS.  

defensively we are great, we need to find at least 5 more goals. 

I know Im preaching to the converted here, Im a bit drunk and still ****ty with Thursday night. 

#godees #demonspirit #footballisstillcominghome

100% - we've got to post a winning score against an opposition who features two gun fwds....job for the coaching staff to sort this out...c'mon Goody - let's see what you've got.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, rpfc said:

Yeah, First Crack isolated the stilted and stifling play off half back where we went sideways and didn’t reward blokes that got free in the middle - culprits were the backs and the wingers. 

This is not surprising and extremely disappointing that we seemingly didn’t use the last 6 weeks to learn new habits to win games at the risk of losing them.

And now we have enabled our own demise not looking to expose and be bold. We are tight and worried and that is not the definition of a flag winning team.

Can Goodwin release them? Is not this why you are on the bench like a soccer manager? 

Because one manager I know used to yell at his Celtic team to “pass it [censored] FORWARD!”

Can anyone share this vision, if accessible please? Thanks.

1 hour ago, Nascent said:

Any word if we're challenging or accepting JvRs ban?

I’d say we’ll accept and take responsibility for the obvious suspensions.

They’d only challenge to have the impact downgraded from medium to low and thus a fine. But McStay went off for assessment which basically implied  medium impact.

9 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Can anyone share this vision, if accessible please? Thanks.

I'm not sure you want to see, it'll make you rethink that our method is fine :) 

Honestly though it's not hard to drag out 2-3 incidents where players make a poor decision in a game of football. I do agree that we could afford to be more attacking considering the quality of our defence.

Edited by Roost it far

This is pivotal 666 replies to this topic. Is there a reckoning in the wings? (the devil made me do it).

Edited by Tarax Club
ouija edit
  • Haha 1

Just now, layzie said:

This is the worst Sunday night I've had in a very long time..

As flat as I’ve felt about football in a very long time. 

I have contemplated not bothering with Friday’s game, but I know I’ll be raging at Ticketek tomorrow morning, despite losing all hope in this season and football in general. 

• Like 4

Just now, Jaded No More said:

I have contemplated not bothering with Friday’s game, but I know I’ll be raging at Ticketek tomorrow morning, despite losing all hope in this season and football in general. 

Since Thursday night I was honestly thinking the same thing. I just thought this time might be different and we could go straight through to a prelim and do something else next week. I love going to the footy but that doesn't mean it's always easy.

Having said that I'll obviously be there. Ready to do it all again! (Someone tranquilise me)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

I'm getting the tickets tomorrow and I'm not sure Id care if I missed out. Sitting with 60,000 rabid Carlton Fans is my idea of a nightmare.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Deespicable said:

A couple of amendments to my earlier team, which was based on Harmes playing and he's now out.

There are two big changes required this week.

The first is to drop the red mist - a term Garry Lyon dubbed on our dump long kicks three years ago before we turned it all around in 2021 and used the short low pass to pry open defences. Moore et al had a field day with the long bombs on Thursday night and Weitering, who loves to sag back, will be salivating at the prospect of such an assault. Unfortunately our best lateral thinker - Brayshaw - will be out and our best lead-up player Melky is out. Our best two clever chip kicks from 2021  weren't around either on Thursday - Spargo (overlooked) and the Christian Salem we used to know.

So the first thing to do is for Goody to have a long confidence-building chat with Salem and ask him to take the game on and take risks like the old Sallo did. And the other thing is to bring Spargo in and that means Chandler has to go - we can't have four vertically challenged guys in our forward line - it's the wrong balance. A chat with our biggest distributor Olly about looking inboard or for the lead-up option wouldn't hurt either.

The second change is to the forward make-up. Three players kicked 14 goals against Richmond six weeks ago, but none of them will be playing on Friday, so it's a tricky reconfigure. But here's my fifty cents worth.

We are all hoping that Grundy plays like a forward for once, but why are we doing that when we know it won't work because he's not quick enough to lead-up and he's not a great leaping aerialist. But he is a genuinely good ruckman - we saw that first hand when Gawny was injured. So, it's time to go back and playing him there and putting the pressure on the skipper to take a hit for the team. Gawn has to play a forward for almost the entire game. For once Goody has to make Grundy the main man and Gawn the key man. We all know Gawny will mark it if not held down, so Carlton will have to deploy Gov and Weitering close to him to stop him.

The second change to our forward mix has already been alluded to by Goody who made it clear that Angus going down, forced him to play Trac in the middle. It didn't actually because Rivers was an option but we chose to go small with the sub, when we knew the Pies were much taller than us. The advantage with Trac is that he demands the ball and means that players will be more willing to try the chip kick when he's around up there.

Ultimately the rest of the magnets don't matter so much as once you have your best two players down there, along with your two other livewire goalkickers - Pickett and Fritsch - you have a combo that will kick a winning total.

But for arguments sake - Jordon has to play and in the guts. And Rivers has to be given a run in there early as well. Sparrow plays hard on Walsh, Rivers tags Cripps and follows him when he goes forward.

A decision on whether to play Turner in our back mix is needed as well, although that depends on whether Durdin comes in for McKay. Carlton has bunch of quick tackling forwards who aren't much chop but because they all work their butts off, they are dangerous - Cunningham, Fogarty, Motlop, Owies and Cottrell. May takes Curnow, Hibberd takes Motlop and McVee takes the quickest who I think is Owies and if Durdin plays then Lever has a good match-up. With McKay out, TDK will play more as a forward so either Turner or Smith are required top counter his height a bit. 

And the choice of the sub has to be debated long and hard at the selection table.

There are a few choices - we can make Chandler the sub and hope that we don't lose a big to injury early. Or if we drop T-Mac as I suspect we will, then both he or Schache may be required as sub, because that means we gone mega small and having another small on the bench is as stupid as it was the other night.  The thing with T-Mac is that he's still smart, he's just way too slow. But coming on late his lack of pace is negated a bit because everyone is tired.

Out: Brayshaw, van Rooyen, T-Mac, Chandler.

In: Jordon, Grundy, Turner, Spargo

B: McVee May Hibberd

HB: Bowey Turner Lever

C: Langdon Rivers Hunter

HF: Smith Gawn Spargo

F: Pickett Petracca Fritsch 

Ru: Grundy Oliver Viney

Int: Sparrow (mid), Jordon (mid), ANB (fwd), Salem (def)

Sub: Chandler or T-Mac/Schache - decision based on whether Carlton goes big or small - Durdin or Hollands for McKay.

Top post. Super.

• Like 1