• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: QF vs Collingwood

Demonland

1 hour ago, Tarax Club said:

BT in prison strip running around after Danny Hughes at Her Majesty’s MCG gave the keystone cops a run for their money. We were most amused!

Robbie Flower took a terrific pack mark and kicked a goal (of course) at the Jolimont end during that match.

I'm totally confused. I thought the discussion was about finals games against Collingwood in 1988 and 1989. Flower's last game was in 1987. So, when was this Danny Hughes/BT game?  

22 minutes ago, Garbo said:

Only day rain predicted in the next fortnight is Thursday, pies must be out there doing a rain dance 

At the moment the forecast is 6% chance of rain on a somewhat windy day, although it can always change.

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/australia/melbourne/ext

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Does it every time we play them he is an absolute scumbag, hopefully the club has pointed this out to the AFL. Fairly certain he did it on QB 2022 which contributed to Maxys injury.

He will do it again and nothing will be done.

First centre bounce he will try to go for Gawn's ribs.

We just need to be prepared, because it will happen.

Cox is a bog ordinary footballer who thinks he's a big tough guy, one of my most hated players in the AFL. Hope Viney lays a Viney tackle on him. 

• Like 6
  • Angry 1

13 minutes ago, fr_ap said:

He won't be in the middle for any more than 5/10% of the game - so yeah, he can (& will) play on him on the night. 

For sure, which is why Kosi needs to play deep. The Pies get a lot of drive from him at half back.

If Kosi is playing out of the square, ala Charlie Cameron, it becomes a totally different proposition because you cannot take your eyes off of him for even one second when he's hovering around the goals. It worked well last week when Melksham came off and I hope to see it again next Thursday.

I have a feeling we are going to pull a few new things in finals. Kosi will play more midfield and then go deep, and I think Gawn will float behind the ball more to help out the defenders, especially if Tmac comes in.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Just now, Jaded No More said:

He will do it again and nothing will be done.

First centre bounce he will try to go for Gawn's ribs.

We just need to be prepared, because it will happen.

Cox is a bog ordinary footballer who thinks he's a big tough guy, one of my most hated players in the AFL. Hope Viney lays a Viney tackle on him. 

Viney needs to have a chat to him. ..or get Kozzie to put knee into his back a few times.

There will of course be those pure of thought who detest 'thuggery'...  well.. Footy ,like a lot of contact sport at its highest level can attract a bit of niggle. There are strangely enough quite a few Bully Boys out there that like to play a bit naughty.

Bullies are dealt with the same everywhere

As long as Cox and his ilk think they can run amok unfettered..... they will...and do.

Some will suggest either let the scoreboard do your bidding...or rely on the umps.

Well..never rely on maggots...  and the scoreboard won't help your team-mate as he's on his knees gasping after some dog act.

Without doubt Cox or other will be given instructions to touch up a few of us...esp if we do nothing.

That's a mind game win right there.

Dont let it happen Melbourne 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Young Angus said:

Grundy sub I say!

Has an interesting machination potential about it.

Going to be a very interesting game.

12 hours ago, Jumping Jack Clennett said:

I think I remember Danny Hughes and  Brian Taylor not getting on well in the MCG game.

Also, I think I remember Collingwood kicking  a goal a millisecond after the half time siren, and we won by less than a goal!

It was a very tough game 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Young Angus said:

Grundy sub I say!

It would be bold but this is why I suggested it on Sun. I don't want any situation where we wish we had him in there. There are a ton of people saying we need to stand up to Cox and all the other Max snipers but if Max his rucking on his own that plays more into this not less. You've also got someone who has intel on the opposition and probably used to bathe these little tikers at training on a weekly basis. 

It is not my preferred lineup to bring Grundy in but it would give them something else to think about as they think of pummeling Max all day. 

And if this isn't the way to go the no problem but what else should we do because the cavalry WILL be coming for Max. You can bet on it. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 7:18 PM, demon3165 said:

And they had Sidebottom, DeGoey, Ginnivan, Elliott and Howe out and they say some had the flu whether that was true or not who knows, still should be a good game.

That's a heck of a lot of quality to come back for them...unfortunately.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Young Angus said:

Grundy sub I say!

I'm sure given pies playing 2 rucks that grundy will at least be named emergency and may comeinto 23.

max being attacked is one or our very few achilles heels.

Could be good insurance.

Goody and Yze will know what to do.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, rpfc said:

The forward line this year has been a fascination to me - some in the media intimate it’s a massive issue and liability and I would have agreed a couple of months ago due to two things; no Fritsch, Brown, TMac, and Melksham meant not much forward craft and nous, and our forward connection was really down with little delivery to options, but the remedies have been impressive. With one addendum that Jake Melksham won’t be there to take pressure off Fritsch and provide ‘interceptor engagement’ of which is so good at. 

But back to the remedies;

Petracca - obvious one and a powerful one made even more so with Oliver coming back.

Chandler in the team - allows another speed forward in Pickett to get up the ground and also play out of the guts.

Smith being trusted - I came down for the Carl-Freo-Coll games and he was avoided in 1-1 contests like the plague but now there is more trust there.

Pickett out of the square - last week against the Swans he was a 5’8 Tony Lockett putting the fear of god into people kidneys coming out of the square. SCG is a unique ground but there is another option that Kozzie is more than happy to execute. He never can mark it so he may as well knee someone in the back of the head.

What we are left with after the last 8 weeks is a really potent number of options regardless of if they go small or tall with TMac. IF our forward connection is good enough and we look to hit the option and not blast away, we have a good enough forward line to kick a winning score.

Well done to Goodwin and Stafford. 

Pickett out of the square 💯 Charlie Cameron did a number on Issac Quaynor playing out the square.

Looks very susceptible playing that close to goal.

Edited by YesitwasaWin4theAges
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Taylor and Hughes were deadly serious. The Umpire just stood there!

Back in those days the Goal Umpires could Report Players 

He was a tough hombre Hughes a proper tough customer, how good was Jimma flying the flag.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Taylor and Hughes were deadly serious. The Umpire just stood there!

Back in those days the Goal Umpires could Report Players 

Don't remember that, wow imagine if they had that power now the goal umpires.

Can't even determine if a ball has hit the post or a ball has missed a hand by a foot.

2 minutes ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

He was a tough hombre Hughes a proper tough customer, how good was Jimma flying the flag.

That Northey Side were tough, we lacked a gun CHF to go the next level, but John was a fabulous Coach

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

4 hours ago, John Crow Batty said:

He didn’t have much success as a coach but he put a hardness back into the team which was pussycat soft before he came over. 

Single-handedly! Thud! 'Leave the boys alone...I'm watching you from now on....'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I'm totally confused. I thought the discussion was about finals games against Collingwood in 1988 and 1989. Flower's last game was in 1987. So, when was this Danny Hughes/BT game?  

Late in the 87 season.

• Thanks 1

I’m 51 and remember both 88 and 89 vs Pies.

Loved 87 as it was our first finals in my lifetime but 88 was also special knocking off two big clubs in Pies and Blues in consecutive finals

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

Pickett out of the square 💯 Charlie Cameron did a number on Issac Quaynor playing out the square.

Looks very susceptible playing that close to goal.

That's a great call. 

Assuming Quaynor goes to Koz, in addition to perhaps challenging him defensively, playing Koz out of the square also negates the offensive impact of Qualynor, who loves to intercept and bounce of half back (which is even more crucial with no Nick Daicos) and means Koz is always close to goal and a chance of scoring. 

I suspect Goody actually wants koz to fly for pack marks rather than stay down. He has been doing it all season and would have stopped doing so if Goody told him to. Playing out of the square means Koz can continue to fly for pack marks and crunch the oppo defenders. Might even take a speccy for the ages too at some point!

• Like 5
  • Thinking 2

I just watched the replay of the KB match. It seems to me that unfortunately Cox can get Max, usually by pretty poor tactics. On the other hand, Grundy treats him with contempt - he knows just how to play him. So I think he should be picked, as a ruckman, to share with Max. Normally I like to have Tommo in the backline but if we play Max and Grundy, Max can probably drop back and be the third tall in defence,

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1