PREGAME: QF vs Collingwood

Demonland

I don’t think Smith can do the job on Moore, as Melksham said in his interview with Andy the role is to get dangerous yourself but also be in range of the defender so you can get to them and spoil/interfere when required - I don’t think Smith has the awareness to manage his position as well as Melksham, or other more natural forwards. 

I would think Fritsch would be the one again, and with a bit of luck Moore might feel some hamstring tightness trying to go with Fritsch on the lead.

I would expect TMac to come in for Melksham and play his normal game of leading up to the wings and giving us a target with JVR out of the square. 

• Like 5
  • Thinking 1

I would be sending Oliver to De Goey at stoppages, as he is the key for Collingwood beating us. Oliver has been kept quieter than normal in the last two games and I think Pendlebury or Cripps will otherwise go to him at stoppages. Oliver is a good run with player and has done jobs on Cripps (R1 2020) and Bontempelli (H2 GF 2021).

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1

17 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Just watching the replay of the Kings Birthday game. Worth watching.

Collingwood had won 23 of their last 25 H&A games

They were on fire and we smashed em. Just couldn't kick straight

Yep.

The first half of last year's round 22 clash is well worth a watch too. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, slimecat said:

I just had a dream that Clayton Oliver kicked from the pocket to Ben Brown (?) standing right on the goal line who slotted it in to put us 35 points up halfway through the third quarter. MAKE OF THAT WHAT YOU WILL.

I've had so many footy dreams with a myraid of results over the years. None have come to fruition. Especially the one where I was the one who won us the match.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, 58er said:

We met in 1989 it has been mentioned but it certainly was in a semi in 1988 at the G which we won. 

We were not the two best sides in it that year...

On 8/27/2023 at 11:48 PM, Wadda We Sing said:

Since 1980 we have played Collingwood twice in finals and won both.

1989 EF Melbourne 2.1 5.4 14.6 17.9(111) dftd Collingwood 3.2 6.7 10.7 13.10(88) Waverley Park Sep 9 (Sat)

1988 SF Melbourne 3.8 8.11 10.13 13.17(95) dftd Collingwood 2.5 5.6 9.7 12.10(82) Melbourne Cricket Ground Sep 11 (Sun)

For the 40+ year olds on the forum, which finals win over Collingwood did you enjoy more?

The 1988 semi final at the MCG or the 1989 elimination final at Waverley?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

For the 60+ year olds on the forum, do you remember those games? (I'm over 60 and I don't.)

I don’t either though I believe I attended at least one of them.

19 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

If the small forwards can deliver 5 goals between them we win. The others will do the rest

Agreed. We need Kozzie and Chandler to hit the scoreboard to win I feel. Defend the corridor on defense and the Pies become more stagnant and manageable.

We’ve got this. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

For the 60+ year olds on the forum, do you remember those games? (I'm over 60 and I don't.)

Yes was at both and enjoyed them a lot. Guess the semi in 88 as it put us into another Prelim Final. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, binman said:

Yep.

The first half of last year's round 22 clash is well worth a watch too. 

Agree - the second half wasn't too bad either - the only reason they got in front was a cheap free to Ash Johnson who kicked 4 for the game 

We kick straighter we probably win that game.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

They have just re-signed him so there goes that theory

That's a shame - I was really keen on Georgiades and it was the only thing I would actively want to facilitate the Grundy trade to get.

Not sure why we'd move him on now.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, drysdale demon said:

Today's herald sun early teams has MFC with Grundy and Jordan In, jordan as sub and Melksham and Laurie out.

HS, or BS??

12 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Please don't listen to the HS.

I will put my house on those not being the changes.

As I said, HS or BS?

10 hours ago, drysdale demon said:

Most likely but it wouldn't me if there was a surprise or 2.

Surprises tend to surprise one by their very nature. 

7 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

For the 40+ year olds on the forum, which finals win over Collingwood did you enjoy more?

I was at both - equally enjoyable a year after a long finals drought. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

The 88 Semi was great, first final I'd been to I believe - I may have gone in 87 but too young to remember. 89 elimination final was good too but not as good as 88, the game wasn't as good, it was at Waverley instead of the G and was an EF rather than a SF. Still good to knock the Pies out of September though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brendan said:

Would love to see kozzy have a big game, if your interested in losing some brain cells head over to big footy and read the pies v dees thread on main page 

Quaynor has Koz's number big time, so we'll need to find another avenue to goal I think. Has him well covered for speed, strength, height, jump and weight. Plays kozzie extremely well does IQ. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Just now, fr_ap said:

Quaynor has Koz's number big time, so we'll need to find another avenue to goal I think. Has him well covered for speed, strength, height, jump and weight. Plays kozzie extremely well does IQ. 

Can’t play on him if Koz plays in the middle 

The One Where Estelle Dies Episode 15 GIF by Friends

• Like 4