• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: Rd 22 vs Carlton

Demonland

3 minutes ago, Macca said:

It's a bit like when Nutbean was accused of waffling on too much so he changed his avatar to a picture of some waffles

Haven't seen Nutbean here for an age.  Hope he's ok

I never knew that's why he had waffles in his avatar! Haha, brilliant.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

I never knew that's why he had waffles in his avatar! Haha, brilliant.

I'll give you one guess as to who accused him of waffling on too much (not that it was any big deal, Nutbean took it in the right spirit)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Macca said:

It's a bit like when Nutbean was accused of waffling on too much so he changed his avatar to a picture of some waffles

Haven't seen Nutbean here for an age.  Hope he's ok

Unfortunately he hasn't been online since March the 1st 2022..

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Deebymistake said:

Ever considered it is the standard and quality of women's soccer that is getting consumers fired up about it? 

100%.

@Deebauched the growth of women’s soccer has nothing to do with the US soccer team, and everything to do with the calibre of player currently playing for Australia. They are easily one of the strongest national teams we have, and on top of their talent they play an attractive, dynamic game style. 

Good teams draw good interest. It’s that simple.

Also, I’ve done a bit of work with US  National women’s soccer players and even in the US a lot of them found it hard to make a living. We need to be encouraging female athletes, not trying to find a reason not to like them.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I believed, like others here, that Brodie’s absence from the AFL team was as much to do with fitness as it was to do with ‘forward craft’. He looked like he was running in concrete against GWS and St Kilda. Coupled with the observations in pre-season about his fitness levels compared to Max and others (likely due to his long term injury in 2022) it’s not surprising he struggled during our loading period. 

My theory is that they’ve been using this four/five week period to build his endurance and/or power to get him primed for Finals. I’ll put my money on Brodie having a really strong six weeks 😊 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Binmans PA said:

Did you watch the King's Birthday game? 

They can work together. We just need to bring the ball to ground and create a contest forward of centre, so the likes of Kozzy, Trac, Chandler and even ANB can get on the end of a few.

Grundy's ruckwork is far less predictable to the opposition than Max's and Max's tap work in D50 still leaves a lot to be desired.

I think they're both really good ruckmen though. Gawn's elite because of his around the ground ability, Grundy is elite because of his follow up work.

Different styles of ruckmen, but they can be weapons in the same team too.

Watch this space...

I was at the game.

And all the other home games.

Grundy is ok around the ground.  Not as influential at CBs as Max imo.

I've watched enough games to know that as soon as Grundy spends significant time at CBs, the oppo starts to gather momentum, by evening up or winning the clearance count.

Many of the oppo's come backs from deficits have started when Grundy spends major minutes in the middle.

Play him forward, play him around the ground if needed for a chunk of time.

If Goody's learned anything about the duo, he won't play Grundy in the middle for significant minutes at any stage.  With one exception...the result's beyond doubt and we can afford to 'manage' Max on the bench.

• Like 3

Just now, dazzledavey36 said:

Unfortunately he hasn't been online since March the 1st 2022..

Nutbean is either taking an extended break or has moved on from forums

I can understand either stance

Plenty have come and gone so the above 2 explanations is probably the main reason

Just on Nutbean, he is a real music aficionado ... front row seats for nearly every time a contemporary music artist (or artists) that have come to this country.  As well as the classic performers from the past

He'll be front and centre for McCartney

• Like 5

Great to have Clayton back in the team his absence has forced us to utilise JV better increase Sparrow and Jordon’s role in the team and freed Brayshaw up to help increase our midfield rotations, these changes have made us a fitter and stronger unit. Also happy to see Brodie back in the side to good for VFL, we have to make this work and provide better support for our skipper over the next six weeks, this is crunch time.!!!!

• Like 5

Happy with the team, coaches have shown selection nous all year, if they are trying Grundy, it's not out of bloody mindedness. I really feel for Grundy the media drivel around him has been verging on vicious, totally undeserved. 

The bruisefree jibe about us always annoyed me, I felt like we've always made Carlton pay for it ever since. I can see either a close win or a blow out, have fond memories of 2018 seeing Lever play and torching the Blues by a 100 points, feeling in my bones like we are going to be on pressure style like the KB game, hopefully with better kicking for goal. Watch all the mouth breathing journos jump on the band wagon if we win, and the stories will switch to something unfair favoring Melbourne.

I really hope they play the game on the big screen for no other reason than it feels like a Cathy Freeman moment, will be watching here In Somalia. (Allthough I was policing Carlton the night Italy cheated against Australia in a World Cup game, and got rivers of abuse about Australia losing from the Carlton crowd, who were very Pro Italy, not sure how much they love the Matildas). 

I mean this in a jocular way and not too seriously, but did you ever consider by drafting Grundy we don't have to play against him? So while we might not be getting full advantage of his skills because he replicates what Max brings, He has more than held his own over the years against Max. But imagine Grundy at Port or Brisbane (i reckon he's better than Oscar), for one of the sides we are competing against. Would go a way towards nullifying one of our weapons. This might have been said elsewhere but haven't read everything. He is an expensive insurance policy but I see it working in more than one way

Lastly +1, love the idea of the Melbourne Football club having a soccer team, I see synergies, always thought with our name we could be a much larger sporting organization (Aussie Rules always has primacy though).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Should be a great game can’t wait to see Clayton back in action and see what Brodie can bring to the side after his recalibration….I thought the ruck pairing wasn’t too bad myself before he was left out, and it’s certainly helped keep Max fresh for this run into finals

• Like 2

Was Grundy put to pasture to freshen up and improve his fitness base….like a mini preseason? I like to think that but still wonder whether he’d get a game if Petty was fit. Glad he’s back in the side. I reckon an extra tall in finals will be most helpful. Have track watchers seen any changes to the way he and Max are setting up around the ground? Has Goodwin got a plan?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

I hope Brodie tears the next few months apart. C’mon big fella.

Hope eternal A good test for an emerging forward.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stu said:

I believed, like others here, that Brodie’s absence from the AFL team was as much to do with fitness as it was to do with ‘forward craft’. He looked like he was running in concrete against GWS and St Kilda. Coupled with the observations in pre-season about his fitness levels compared to Max and others (likely due to his long term injury in 2022) it’s not surprising he struggled during our loading period. 

My theory is that they’ve been using this four/five week period to build his endurance and/or power to get him primed for Finals. I’ll put my money on Brodie having a really strong six weeks 😊 

great theory hope its true

• Like 2