Judd McVee and the Rising Star Award

alpha33

8 hours ago, dee-tox said:

Judd has probably been our biggest positive for the year. A pleasure to watch. Speed and smarts wrapped in silk

Salem's return to form is a distant second.

Gee we have some Salty old mean and twisted D/Lers.

At their stages of their career any award is a recognition of some achievement or level of standard.

Its virtually a Brownlow for all the "Best First Year" club winners. Oops suppose you all want that Club award sent to the bottom of the ocean also.

Get a bit of life and joy for the draftees recruits etc. and offer some hope. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, dee-tox said:

Judd has probably been our biggest positive for the year. A pleasure to watch. Speed and smarts wrapped in silk

Salem's return to form is a distant second.

Yeah but we'll happily take both stories!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

How many players have won a Brownlow without getting a 3 voter in the first 9 rounds? 

How many players have won a Best and Fairest without getting full votes in the first 9 rounds?

You cant seriously be equating the Brownlow voting process to the way the Rising Star award is chosen ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jnrmac said:

You cant seriously be equating the Brownlow voting process to the way the Rising Star award is chosen ?

Every week, there's 20-30 Rising Star candidates, one of them has to be best afield from that group. The player that is best afield gets the weekly nomination.

Every week, 44 (or 46 but I've yet to see a sub get brownlow votes) run out and the best player gets 3 votes. You don't win the Brownlow if you aren't putting up good voting games early in the year is my point.

There's flaws in both systems. But I don't understand your qualm. The best player out of any group is highly likely to announce themselves with strong performances early in the year. 

Most of the winners being nominated early in the season and a few defenders getting nominated later as their body of work starts to shine through is exactly what you'd expect for the award.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Every week, there's 20-30 Rising Star candidates, one of them has to be best afield from that group. The player that is best afield gets the weekly nomination.

Every week, 44 (or 46 but I've yet to see a sub get brownlow votes) run out and the best player gets 3 votes. You don't win the Brownlow if you aren't putting up good voting games early in the year is my point.

There's flaws in both systems. But I don't understand your qualm. The best player out of any group is highly likely to announce themselves with strong performances early in the year. 

Most of the winners being nominated early in the season and a few defenders getting nominated later as their body of work starts to shine through is exactly what you'd expect for the award.

It would be an interesting exercise to break the season into four parts (ie, approx 6 game blocks) and see whether there's any uneven distribution of votes for Brownlow medallists within each block. In theory, there's no logical reason why a winner should necessarily get more than 25% of his votes in any particular quarter of the season. However, if there's a statistically significant number of Brownlow medallists getting more than 25%of their votes in the same quarter of their winning season, it raises a question as to whether umpires are somehow being influenced in their decisions. 

• Like 1

Far bigger stronger more experienced defenders get themselves in big trouble when Charlie Cameron gets them in that bench press position, he usually works them up the ball then escapes out the back.

Judd has so much composure just to stay in the contest, read the drop, get a fist in. 

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

5 stars. 
Would draft again. 

… eh … waste a draft pick on a bloke we already own. JT you ain’t!

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Presumably someone else will play a more exciting game and get the nomination but [censored] me this guy is incredible. 

Shut down arguably the most dangerous small forward in the game. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He is a calm and very smart footballer.  I think on stats he is the least beaten players in the league 1:1.

Unlikely to win the rising star, but he's the natural replacement for Hibbo on those super dangerous small/med forwards we have been looking for. 

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

15 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

his defensive workrate and ability to read the ball in flight is outstanding

I think think his efforts this year have been outstanding. PLUS we are seeing the emergence of Rivers, Bowey . ( plus to a degree Jordon & Sparrow & Van Royen )  The future is looking bright !!!

How good is that for the future !!

• Like 3

On 7/11/2023 at 9:17 AM, Little Goffy said:

He's an excellent kid with a long and bright future at AFL level, but he doesn't play 'standout' games or a role that draws attention.

The Rising Star award is about hype, and Judd McVee isn't about hype.

Judd "Boobie Miles" McVee: "Hype is something that's not for real. I'm ALL REAL!"

• Haha 1

Enright. Wanganeen. More recently Jadyn Short. I believe they all started as back pockets but used the ball so well they got shifted up the ground.  It's not going to be this year I'll concede, but as the pre seasons go by this kid has to be given a run further up the field to see what his full upside is. 

• Like 6
  • Clap 1

21 hours ago, dee-tox said:

Wow, give McVee the whole bloody thing. What a gun!

Credit to those who recruited him. Credit to those who have developed him. And credit to himself for being my new favourite player!

Smooth mover, quick and clean thinker and assessor of the flow of play ahead.  Good disposal by hand and by foot.  Accountable.

What is there not to like?  

Salo, McVee, Rivers are a beautiful medium defensive combo - if Hibbo comes good could we release Judd, or Bowey further up the ground?   

• Like 6