• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Five most improved players

Deespicable

Hard to pick 5, I don't think here have been that many mainly because the benchmark is high already with most players and maybe some haven't quite come on how we want yet.

1. Rivers

2. McVee

3. Chandler

4. JVR

Leaving it at 4. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, leucopogon said:

Kozzy, Angus, Gawn, Lever, May, Brown, Tmac ,Langdon, Spargo and even Petty have all regressed to differing extents since the premiership. We have little hope of a repeat flag. No hunger to improve and a few look very comfortable with their long term contracts. Add to that our best player out for a huge chunk of the season. I reckon GWS will roll us this week.

A bit tough on May and Lever.. rarely beaten the whole year 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, joeboy said:

A bit tough on May and Lever.. rarely beaten the whole year 

True joeboy May is down a bit this year but Lever is having a better year than 2022.

4 hours ago, Deespicable said:

Our five most improved for 2023

1 Trent Rivers: A massive pre-season saw him look stronger and more confident after a dismal 2022. He really looks the part now intercept marking and his thumping kicks have meant that the coach now occasionally deploys him on the ball in the hope he can kick over the lines. We may have lost to Freo again, but he did overcome his Michael Frederick demons winning or squaring most contests with him this time around. To me, he’s one of the few players who can be deployed to help solve our forward problems, being quick enough to apply tackles and capable and tall enough in the air to provide a third-man up contest when needed. But under Mr “conservative” Goody that won’t happen this year.

2 Tom Sparrow: With Olly out, we’ve had a really good look at whether he’s up to the midfield level required in the AFL now and there’s no doubt he is. He’s a battering ram and he tags as well as almost anyone in our side – from Ben Cunnington to Max Holmes – he’s a real nuisance for opponents. His games against the Blues and Pies showed he can also provide run and drive from clearances – I reckon it’s just a matter of time now before he has a really breakout game by the numbers – ie: 30-plus disposals etc. 

3 Jake Bowey: It’s hard to believe this guy spent a week in the VFL as a result of backing into Jake Lever’s knee against Carlton. Like Rivers, he’s shrugged off the flag lethargy and shown he’s even more committed and clean with his hands. His size means he’s going to be beaten occasionally in the air, but once the ball hits the dirt, it’s advantage Bowey – he’s reminiscent of Richmond’s Liam Baker with his quick vision. I also reckon he deserves a shot at Nibbler’s high half-forward/midfield conduit role because he’s a better kick than ANB, but as with Rivers, don’t worry, it won’t happen under our ‘devoid of risk’ coaches.

4 Judd McVee: Chris from Camberwell was a big wrap for this bloke on SEN even if he couldn’t figure out how to pronounce his name after his game against Carlton and he’s not alone. He was handy at best in the VFL last season and most of us were shocked when he got a gig pre-season against Richmond. But a super game on Bolton that day stamped his round 1 papers and since then he’s shown he’s AFL level. Given that Goody gave away Jayden Hunt, his extra pace is crucial to our defensive line-up and he’s also an elite, quick kick. He’s also why we can now send Bowey or Rivers forward if we want to.

5 Jacob van Rooyen: The Roo’s received a lot of publicity which is understandable given his role up front. As with any kid, he’s a bit up and down but as we saw with his last quarter cameo against Richmond he keeps buttering up for a contest and he can be a matchwinner. His game against the Blues showed he had enough vision in traffic to play a little higher and his goal that day from 50m out on the members flank confirmed to me, and others, that he can kick the ball almost as far as Neiter when required. 

A good synopsis Deespicable, however I found the constant bagging of our coach took away from what you were writing.

• Like 3

Impressive effort by the OP to use a '5 most improved' list to include three separate digs at the coach.

Anyway, our most improved;

Rivers - from a respectable starting point to a serious player.

Chandler - from question mark to exclamation mark, just needs to recalibrate his radar back to the early season level.

Salem - not sure it counts when he's already shown it in a grand final, but the return to form is a big deal.

A few others like Bowey, Van Rooyen, and of course McVee seem more like 'the kids are going along nicely' than any specific or surprising improvement. I'd also say that Viney reached his new level during a stellar mid-season period last year and has simply carried on with it.

I don't see the alleged improvement from Sparrow. I think he's just pushing along at a level, which is legitimate AFL level but not outstanding.

Just quietly, I think Tomlinson should get a mention among the improvers. Fingers crossed he re-establishes himself in the team after basically two seasons of injury and post-injury poor form.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For me :-

Rivers is the standout youngster huge improvement 

McVee coming off a base of 0 is the big surprise 

Chandler was massive earlier, needs to pick it up again ASAP.

JvR our only Rising Star is a genuine future star.

Sparrow has cemented his place in the 23 and has an expanded role in the team,

Also agree that Salem, Lever and Tomlinson are now fully recovered and have shown improvement on their 2022 form.

• Like 2

I see Rivers as our next captain. His growth this year has been  off the charts, he is vocal, and his on-ground leadership is on display in big moments. I have to admit to surprise because he had a shocker last year. 

McVee

Chandler

JVR.

I also see growth in Sparrow and can see him as a 200 gamer, but not enough to see him on this list yet.

• Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Shocked 1

Sadly Rivers is the only bonafide best 22 player from last year that's improved. Everyone else has gone backwards or plateaued and is not performing to expectation with the exception of Petracca. Viney and Lever are having decent seasons, but not their best.

Chandler started the year well but has been ineffective the past 6 weeks or so. 

McVee has been good for debut season. JVR has had a good debut season too considering his role as a tall forward target. Without tall support around him he is struggling to impact games though.

Biggest disappointments with form drops this year considering potential and previous output have been Gawn, Kozzie, Petty, Langdon, Brayshaw. I would've put May in here too, but he's had some decent patches of form. Brown and TMac I wouldn't bother rating as they're injured and cooked now.

The Gawn and Grundy combo hasn't worked and as a result Gawn has gone from a top 5 player in the league to a below average player. Statistically he's having his worst season since 2014 and I'd say the stats line up to his lack of impact as either a forward or ruckman.

It's a weird season. We're still top 4 and could potentially contend, but it feels like we're going backwards and all players are down on form. Given our good injury run heading into the season compared to last year, this season has been more disappointing than last IMO. It feels like we're wasting a big opportunity to claim another flag as this is probably the weakest season in living memory. There isn't a single team I'd consider a strong team when compared to previous years. Whoever wins the flag this year will be remembered as a weak team IMO. 

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

Jeez LT MFCSS has really eaten into your confidence, mind you if we drop the next two games I may join you.🙏😳

• Like 1

Some of the criticism makes me wonder what’s going on. Is it the weight of expectation? Unrealistic expectation? Or, nostalgia rewriting the form of players in 2021?

We got rolled by 2 bottom sides in our premiership year. Players form fluctuated (often dramatically). We came within a kick of having to go and play Port at home in our first final.

It may have all felt like a fairy tale thinking back on it, but it wasn’t.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Abyssal said:

Throw in Sam Weideman, Oscar Baker and Toby Bedford !

Weid & Baker have regressed back to their original forms....Bedford would be a handy option though, but not convinced he's been a great loss

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Diamond Tim said:

C'mon mate, I sat on Barassi's knee and bought a pair of Ron Barassi plastic boots out at Chadstone in the early 60's. Have no recollection of he '64 flag and have lived through decades of darkness with Demons. The '21 flag was a magnificent occurrence. We get to experience a Redlegs flag in our lifetime - the players who facilitated our euphoria are now eternal legends. They are Icons such as Trac, Clarry, Max, Kozzie and Fritta and are now etched into our  lore.  Chin up mate - we've got it made.

Like you @Diamond Tim I'm still on a high 640 dayz later.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

In no particular order:

McVee - Who'd a thunk? Apart from excellent disposal under pressure, this dude manages to extract himself and the footy from the most unlikely situations. His hand-eye coordination must be off the charts. He seems to always manage to paddle or toe-poke the loose pill away from his opponent. I love watching him in action.

JVR - He keeps presenting and presenting and his follow-up is excellent. He's slotting them too and will get more rewards for his efforts in time.

Rivers - He's taken his game to another level after what I'm sure he'd consider a disappointing 2022. Unfortunately his kicking hasn't followed suit, but I'm super excited about where his game is headed. Loving his intercept marks!

Chandler - his stats indicate he's doing everything he should except slot them (Thanks Wheelo!). He's just got the yips and will be fine. His early games were outstanding (another Who'd a thunk?). He's a clever player and will get back to his best.

Salem - A level above his form over 2021 and 22. We've got the old creative, slick Salo back!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also no particular order

McVee.     from lucky to get on a list to surprise first round choice and now his name inked in before any other consideration. Just does it so well.

Rivers. Love how he has improved his game

Salem.  Since coming back almost to his 2021 level.       I think.

Tomlinson.  Has overcome injury and small selection setbacks (joke)

best game for the club against the pies. And then not selected WTF.

Hunter.    A better wingman than Langdon at the moment.

if only our forwards or those doing delivery. Could be said to have some improvers. Gone backwards in my opinion.

JVR will end up a champion but has some learnings to gain yet.   I hate learnings !

Edited by 640MD
Extra
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Hopeful Demon said:

If I'm being honest Rivers has probably been our only player who's taken a big step since last season.

Hopefully you are excluding JVR and McVee only because they didn't play in 2022.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MoeSyzlak said:

Sparrow year vs year stats for those interested 

8B5EF497-92DA-4BFA-A0A4-1FA0346F1A17.png

AC287D94-81D7-4CDC-BCAA-E0ED9A7F2A4A.png

Stats back up the eye test. He’s plateaued. Five seasons in with a mature body and midfield opportunity and he’s still below AFL average. If he doesn’t improve over the next 12 months he’ll be out of the best 22 permanently you’d think. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

41 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Stats back up the eye test. He’s plateaued. Five seasons in with a mature body and midfield opportunity and he’s still below AFL average. If he doesn’t improve over the next 12 months he’ll be out of the best 22 permanently you’d think. 

classique good ordinary afl level player

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Roger Mellie said:

In no particular order:

McVee - Who'd a thunk? Apart from excellent disposal under pressure, this dude manages to extract himself and the footy from the most unlikely situations. His hand-eye coordination must be off the charts. He seems to always manage to paddle or toe-poke the loose pill away from his opponent. I love watching him in action.

JVR - He keeps presenting and presenting and his follow-up is excellent. He's slotting them too and will get more rewards for his efforts in time.

Rivers - He's taken his game to another level after what I'm sure he'd consider a disappointing 2022. Unfortunately his kicking hasn't followed suit, but I'm super excited about where his game is headed. Loving his intercept marks!

Chandler - his stats indicate he's doing everything he should except slot them (Thanks Wheelo!). He's just got the yips and will be fine. His early games were outstanding (another Who'd a thunk?). He's a clever player and will get back to his best.

Salem - A level above his form over 2021 and 22. We've got the old creative, slick Salo back!

It's up to his 2021 best ever form the last 3/4 games. Agree but HD was a revelation in our flag year, 

• Like 1