PREGAME: Rd 15 vs Geelong

Demonland

6 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

IMO, Geelong should play all 11 home games at GMHBA and that should therefore require those bigger clubs to go down there. Hawthorn is arguably a smaller club than us these days, and if it weren't for the Easter Monday game should be down in Geelong most years, particularly through this current rebuilding phase. Carlton and Essendon have been down there recently too whilst they've been weaker on-field.

Hawthorn should do a bit of heavy lifting for the usual minnow VIC clubs and be fixtured an away game down at GHMBA next year, for a side that's gone 5 years without finals action.

Hawthorn are the designated home team for Easter Monday next year, so there's no reason why they can't be fixtured an away game later in the year at GMHBA.

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

OUTS: Spargo, Nah, still can't find the other OUT. 

INS: Oliver, Bowey

Reckon both Smith and Tomlinson should stay in the side. I'd like to see a few weeks of Smith, JVR and Petty all playing forward with Fritsch, Koz, ANB and Chandler as sub

Bowey might have to start back as the sub.

3 weeks ago we were bemoaning our lack of depth! Jordan,  Woewodin, Howes, Turner all pressing for best 22, Spargo might join them as of this week. The improved form of Tomlinson gives us the real opportunity of adding Smith and Petty forward.

• Clap 1

Yes it’s rubbish we play Geelong at Geelong every year, yes it’s rubbish no where near the number of fans that would’ve attended will be there (I’d suggest this game gets 50k at the G next week), but let’s just win! Should Geelong lose to Port and then us then their game against Sydney in Sydney becomes a de facto elimination final with Geelong as many as three games out of the eight! It would be simply beautiful to put them out of contention. I think this was part of the reason for our angst after the Freo game, we had the chance to put them down where they belonged, we’ll still make top 4 but Freo outside the 8 when we have their picks would’ve been simply stunning. Let’s do it to Geelong!

I’m waiting for the injury report before even trying for selection. Atm Spargo out Oliver in looks likely, Bowey, Petty, let’s see if there’s a mystery injury of the week, hopefully not but it would make selection easier…

Edited by deejammin'
  • Like 1

Isn’t it great having both Smith and Tomlinson both up and about!

This with all the ‘mids’ it now gives us a depth of talent (as well as flexibility) across the field. 

Hope everyone holds / improves their form.  This will allow us to test / rest / manage players over the coming weeks. Also an opportunity to refine / test our systems….and keep the opposition guessing.

Ultimately, come finals selectors will pick players in best form as well as ‘best fit’ depending on who we play.

It’s a tough gig if you don’t make the final 23. In my mind it is the squad that wins a premiership, not just the final 23.

Edited by Wodjathefirst
  • Like 2
  • Clap 1

If Port can beat Geelong, as they should this week, we'll have the opportunity to inject a world of hurt into them the following week and send them to 6-8, then needing to go 7-2 to make finals.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, old55 said:

If Port can beat Geelong, as they should this week, we'll have the opportunity to inject a world of hurt into them the following week and send them to 6-8, then needing to go 7-2 to make finals.

And there is nothing more beautiful in this world than inflicting pain on Geelong n

The 2021 prelim was 120 minutes of the purest joy I’ve ever felt. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

2 minutes ago, old55 said:

I like your thinking but……Sort of wanting Geelong to beat Port and then for us to beat Geelong. My logic is I want us to secure second spot on the ladder (from Port) by the end of the home and away season.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, old55 said:

I'd prefer they beat Port and we beat them. I want top 2

• Like 10

32 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

I'd prefer they beat Port and we beat them. I want top 2

And if they can’t beat Port, I hope Port beat them physically and they’re dragging their old carcasses back to Geelong. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Abyssal said:

Neal-Bullen

You are correct.

I don’t understand what he does for the team.

It’s been said on this forum he has a ‘great tank’, also you need to be ‘at the ground’ to appreciate his worth.

Ultimately however a player should be judged on their ability to win the ball and what they do with it. 
That is the essence of the game since it was conceived. 

And here I thought I was the least knowledgeable about footy on this forum. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 3

8 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

And here I thought I was the least knowledgeable about footy on this forum. 

WCW that was his/her reply to my post,which confirmed he had no idea what he was posting about .I replied ,and thanked him for supporting me and Nibbles🤣

• Haha 1

Cats are clear favourites for our game. bizarre 

they are 1-3 in the last 4 losing to tigers freo and giants 

Getting Danger back doesn’t fix that

• Like 2

I've done the ladder predictor twice, one losing to Collingwood and one winning, both times we finished second with Geelong battling to make the eight.

• Like 4

On 6/13/2023 at 8:54 AM, drysdale demon said:

Yeah, sure LOL

You don't think Pickett will be dropped? The other 2 surely will be dropped. That leaves Chandler to be dropped and I think he has been better than Pickett. OK we will go with Pickett not getting dropped. The more I think about it the more I think Bowey won't play. Chandler as sub.

B: Lever, May, McVee

HB: Salem, Tomlinson, Rivers

C: Hunter, Oliver, Langdon

HF: Petracca, Petty, Neal-Bullen

F: Fritsch, van Rooyen, Pickett

FOLL: Gawn, Brayshaw, Viney

IC: Hibberd, Grundy, Sparrow, J.Smith

SUB: Chandler

EMERG: Bowey, Jordon, Spargo 

2 hours ago, DubDee said:

Cats are clear favourites for our game. bizarre 

they are 1-3 in the last 4 losing to tigers freo and giants 

Getting Danger back doesn’t fix that

Good.

I don't think it's a coincidence that we found that hunger and defensive pressure buy-in in our first game as underdogs since who knows when.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, old55 said:

Do we want that though? I want to catch Port for top 2, and IMV, Geelong are not the team of last year.

Beat me to it, @Wodjathefirst and @Roost it far.

Edited by A F
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Kozzie4PM said:

I like going to the games in Geelong. Nothing like an away trip!

Sure, but I was there for 186.

We're going down to that terrible place again as usual. Got tickets yesterday. 

Edited by A F
  • Like 3

On 6/12/2023 at 7:06 PM, adonski said:

IN: Oliver, Petty

OUT: Spargo, Smith

Big SparGod fan but Chandler presents more upside. ANBs photographic collection of Goody ensures he remains in the 22, too.

Smith unlucky

Pretty disrespectful to Nibbler, arguably our hardest worker and a crucial component to our success with the pressure he provides.  Smith, similarly, has been critical to our last 2 wins; shutting down intercept defenders, applying pressure and even kicking goals.

Petty will come back via the twos.

Oliver is definitely straight in, I wouldn't mind seeing JJ, Laurie or Woewoeden have a go in the high half-forward role.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, D Rev said:

Pretty disrespectful to Nibbler, arguably our hardest worker and a crucial component to our success with the pressure he provides.  Smith, similarly, has been critical to our last 2 wins; shutting down intercept defenders, applying pressure and even kicking goals.

Petty will come back via the twos.

Oliver is definitely straight in, I wouldn't mind seeing JJ, Laurie or Woewoeden have a go in the high half-forward role.

You can't give me two IN, with an OUT, your Lordship! 

12 hours ago, A F said:

I confess I was skiing at Mt.Hotham that weekend.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, A F said:

I'd love to go down but Thurs night is just too much of a wrench. 

Cheer loud for us.

• Like 3

On 6/14/2023 at 8:36 AM, Abyssal said:

Neal-Bullen

You are correct.

I don’t understand what he does for the team.

It’s been said on this forum he has a ‘great tank’, also you need to be ‘at the ground’ to appreciate his worth.

Ultimately however a player should be judged on their ability to win the ball and what they do with it. 
That is the essence of the game since it was conceived. 

In 1858 did player just stand around in position after the had a disposal?

Do they do that now?

Even the best half forward flankers are going to get the ball at most about 15 times a game.

Those contests and disposals do matter, but the defensive running when the other side has the ball matters far more. In every position but especially at half forward where you have to run off an opponent to make space then close down those same opponents.

You can value it differently, that’s fair enough, but if you don’t even understand it then you do need to watch and think about games differently.

• Like 4