PODCAST: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

Demonland

The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Tuesday or Wednesday, 13th or 14th May @ 8:30pm. Join Binman, George & I as we analyse the Demons nail biting win over the Magpies.

You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show.

If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human.

Listen & Chat LIVE: https://demonland.com/podcast

Call: 03 9016 3666

PodcastRd132023.pngodcas

• Like 4
  • Love 5
  • Clap 1

With Thommo and Smith playing so well, what are your thoughts on what to do with Petty when he returns, presumably immediately post-bye? I prefer him down back and with Smith offering a point of difference forward perhaps we can put the Petty fwd experiment to bed?

• Thanks 1

We were fantastic and if not for our inaccuracy we should have won that game from anywhere between 4 to 10 goals yet our inaccuracy almost cost us the match. We were the most accurate side in the competition by a country mile in the first 9 rounds yet our inaccuracy in the past 3 to 4 matches has cost us and nearly cost us again. Any thoughts as to why drop off?

Edited by mandeelorian
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

I just wanted to give my appreciation for Binman's analysis and insights, they are very good! I was very intrigued at how confident he was that we were going to dismantle Collingwood's gameplan but am now even more impressed as most of what he said came to fruition.

It is easy to get caught up in the individual games but we are a seriously good team and have improved from 2021/22 in my opinion.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

How big was the smile on your face @binman when you got to say "i told you so"

Great win, GREAT win. should have been bigger.  not a lot of passengers which was good.  Spargo getting subbed out and Oliver/Bowie still to come back in raises the question again about too many small fwds in the side.  Thoughts?

Tommo and Smith had great games, what happens with Petty? personally i think he is a defender, but Tommo is a better defender than any of our fwd back up options are as forwards.  Do we stick with Tommo and put Petty fwd? (Smith holds his spot for now, but eventually i think he will need to be replaced)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How good was Hunter’s bump on Hoskin-Elliott in the first quarter?

Thought it typified our desire to wrest back momentum in the game and set the tone for what was a physical encounter with the Pies. 

Edited by OhMyDees
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Demonland said:

Good possibility I won't be able to do the Podcast tonight as we forgot we had tickets to Michael McIntyre tonight. Will know later today. Podcast may be tomorrow night now so keep the questions coming.

Should be a good show, have fun!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, layzie said:

Should be a good show, have fun!

When booking things I always keep an eye on whether it's a weekend (footy) or a Monday (podcast) but when we booked months ago I thought Tuesday would be fine.

• Like 1

The more we missed chances in the last quarter the more I thought it may not be our day as I knew Collingwood were going to have their own opportunities and we'd seen them chase teams down over and over again. 

We hear the phrase 'bad kicking is bad football' all the time and teams lose games because of inaccuracy much more often than not, is it almost more impressive when you've missed chances but hold on for wins like these against quality opposition? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do we need to have a chat about Pickett's form of late?

In the past 4 weeks he has had 29 possessions; 6, 11, 6 & 6.

With the exception of 2 exceptional goals in the Freo and Carlton game he has not shown the brilliance we know he can produce. Having said that he is still averaging a goal a game over this 4 week period with 1, 2, 1 & 0 goals. He has also been inaccurate during this time missing some easy set shots at crucial times.

During this period he is averaging 3 tackles a game.

In addition as someone mentioned on last week's podcast he has a penchant for attempting the elusive speccy at the cost of being at the fall of the ball.

I'm by no means calling for him to be dropped but he certainly needs to lift his output. I would love for him to spend more time in the middle, minutes here and here, to get into the game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What a game.  The crowd noise was much improved for the Dees this week, and Goody even acknowledged it.  By half time I was satisfied with what we were doing - we were showing a finals level of intensity and even with terrible goal kicking, we were well and truly in it. We were dominant from about half way through the first quarter until time on in the last.

A couple of questions:

1. Spargo - subbed out, will he now have to go back to Casey?

2. Brayshaw - big hand in at least 3 of their goals by turnover /poor decisions and delivery.  What is his value to the squad if he cost us nearly half the opposition score?  Could JJ be a better replacement?

3. Tommo played great - in the RIGHT role. As Second tall, he allows may and lever to get to work.  Where then for Petty?

4. Not too many pushed their case at Casey.  Who do you think will get a debut this year?

Thanks for the great podcast, and go the mighty Dees!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Last week many had put a question mark on Tomlinson in defence but I thought he played an excellent game against the Magpies showing some of his early 2021 form pre-ACL. He had 15 possessions, took 10 marks, had 4 Intercept possession, 2 intercept marks, 3 tackles and 2 spoils.

It will be interesting whether he keeps his place in the team post bye and Petty returning as well no doubt play 3 talls and Hibberd in defence against Geelong. I am positive that Petty will be used in attack which opens another can of worms in terms of Smith's place in the team but I thought he played well too and no doubt you will touch on him at some point as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought Smith had a really solid game this week. He has a great pair of hands and took some telling marks. 6 which is great for a forward. Kicked then 1 goal but could have easily have been 3 but for the inaccuracy that has infected the whole team. 3 goals and we'd be hailing his selection as a masterstroke.

What happens when Petty returns?

Edited by Deeminion
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Can we please give Jack Viney the credit that he so richly deserves? He is heart and soul, is at the bottom of every pack, throws his weight around, is a monster tackler, can extract the ball and get the clearances. Just pure guts and determination. His blind turn was just sublime. He was simply immense in this match and often flies under the Petracca/Oliver radar. We are so blessed to have him and this midfield surely is amongst one of the best in the modern era. We now just need to add some more silverware to the cabinet to ensure that their names are etched into immortality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 5

Was this Goody’s best ever coaching performance? It was great to hear the media talk about how we developed the “blueprint to beating Collingwood”. Last year the talk was that we had been found out and Goody had no plan B. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Demons Rule said:

Would be interested to know who the 3 wise men (Andy, George and Binman) would select as our starting line up assuming that no one is unavailable due to injury.

Love all the work you put in and Binman's positivity certainly helps my MFCSS! 

Might save this one for the Mid Season Review next week during the Bye.

• Like 4

5 points 

1. The game plan. Protect through the corridor.  Own and embrace the corridor.  It worked 😀😀.  Our pressure and tackling were the highlight of the day.  Goody certainly showed good planning and the players executed. 

2. Jack Viney. Wow. He’s a star. 32 possessions. 19 contested.  11 tackles. 1 goal.  We’re lucky to have him onboard.  Courage. Strength. Desire to win the footy. His tackles and pressure were immense. His work in tight to win the footy, spin through a tackle and deliver to JVR was elite footy. Great game.    

3. Big Freeze. Neale Daniher.  I had goosebumps during the guard of honour.  Oh boy. Nearly in tears.  We have to as a civilization find a cure to this horrible horrible beast of a disease. It’s crippling. Bec is a star. And The Reverend. Oh boy. Neale is one of the most courageous people you would meet.  I met him 23 years ago during a MFC function and he was so down to earth.  What you see is what you get. No BS. 

4.  How good was Salem.  He was a ripper in the 2021 GF and we sometimes forget how good he is. Great to have him back.  He was skilled, tough, composed and when needed to defend he did. 83% kicking efficiency. And through the corridor.  Just behind JV as our best on the day. 

🥔🥔🥔🥔🥔🥔🥔🥔🥔🥔🥔🥔🥔🥔🥔🥔🥔🥔

5. our goalkicking. I had to book in to see my cardiologist.  It was so frustrating.  We nearly lost the unloseable game.  We should have won by 6 goals or more.  Surely as professional full time athletes, it’s such a crucial skill.  But goalkicking is actually looking harder and worse than ever. We were the masters of the art earlier in the year.  Is it just confidence ? We must rediscover our goalkicking mojo.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your thoughts on this as a potential forward line going into the future:

JvR because he is a developing champion

Petty because Goodie has made it clear that’s where he wants him, pre knee Tomo may be back and gives us two solid talls up front

Fritsch because he is a goal machine

Kossie because he’s Kossie

Now it gets harder:

I love Chandler and think he is an intelligent player. I love Spargo’s delivery inside but given Smith can play fast and small as well as tall, one of them out for him.

So I see it as possibly JVR, Petty, Fritsch, Smith, Kossie, Chandler. Spargo as first drop.

Alternatively Smith could be permanent sub given his flexibility.

Thoughts?

• Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

20 minutes ago, DeeMee said:

I love Chandler and think he is an intelligent player. I love Spargo’s delivery inside but given Smith can play fast and small as well as tall, one of them out for him.

If Smith plays it will be as a tall, not alongside 2 talls, a ruck and a Fritsch.

As well as he moves for a tall he doesn’t have the skills, the anticipation, the contest to contest work rate or the creativity of a small.