• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

Demonland

2 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

image.thumb.png.1bd53101f7b7f8e1e82e1ce4bd553fc6.png

Seriously how is he even running given he almost lost his leg and was discharged from hospital over the weekend? 

I was hearing that Geelong was even potentially even in doubt at one stage.

Also @WalkingCivilWar what was the secret thing the guys were training? The only really difference I noticed was the high press on the ball carrier. 

There was a bit more corridor usage today but nothing anomalous. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Persevere with Smith

athletic

Closing speed

tackling

• Like 12
  • Clap 2

You beaut, juicy fruit!

Just about the perfect result, because we haven't completely shown our hand. What do I mean by that? We have a few more gears to go to yet IMO. Not only if we kick straight do we win by 8+ goals, but if we moved the ball quicker still, we'd be getting out the back against them more often. This ball movement is still not totally instinctive and it robs us of points. I'm hoping we can use the back half of the season to fine tune that and find that killer instinct with ball movement.

As for our defensive system, it completely strangled and panicked Collingwood after half time. There was a heap of inferred pressure and Collingwood skill errors, fumbles etc as the game wore on and I thought in the 3rd, we lifted our intensity around the ball and pressure rating even more. I'd love to know what our pressure rating in the 3rd was.

Loved that we started manning up the spare (often Daicos) in the last quarter. Will watch the replay tonight, but I don't think we started 1v1 at all stoppages until last quarter. We essentially let them have +1 at contest and sat our +1 a 20m kick behind play, so mostly just in front of the next 1v1.

That very first goal of the match was textbook Collingwood though and we failed to get the job done there defensively. Daicos kicks out. Kicks short, gets the handball receive, hits a target on defensive wing and bang, it's up the other end for a goal. But after the first 15 minutes, we settled and tidied up across our half forwardline, and we no longer allowed that ease of ball movement from back to centre wing. 

One of Viney's best games ever. For a guy whose disposal I often lament, I thought he was A+++ today. He was clean, tough and showed excellent disposal all day. One of his greatest games IMO.

Despite what I just read in the match day thread, I thought our tall forwards were excellent. Max played his best game for the season. He, along with JVR, Smith and at times Grundy, were brilliant at bringing the ball to ground (often against -2 or in Max's case -3). Our small forwards applied great pressure, but struggled with their cleanness, which cost us further scoring opportunities. That Quaynor is a bloody good player 1v1 and he saved them 3 or 4 goals. So the next time we meet them, either his opponent (likely Kozzy) has to get the job done or we avoid kicking it near he and Moore.

As the game wore on though, our forward and midfield pressure pushed them wider and wider and they couldn't handle our press. They dump kicked into the corridor a number of times, and gave us great looks on turnover. We need to utilise those opportunities better next time.

Our defenders held up really well. After giving up 2 early goals, May played a superb half of football, and then started to drop simple uncontested marks again, that opened the door for them. But I thought Tomlinson was really good, McVee is a beauty, love his composure and ball use. Salem is back to his elite 2021 form. He's found his feet quickly this season, and his cleanness and disposal makes our backline soooooooo much better.

I've been really impressed with our midfield the last two weeks, minus the best contested player in the game. If you'd said earlier in the year that we'd beat Collingwood without Clarry, I'd have been rubbing my hands together. But Petracca stepped up last week, Viney this week and Sparrow is giving them superb back up, loving his season. Despite his iffy disposal, I thought Rivers was decent too, moving inside more and took some important intercept marks too.

Overall, we've shown that we can suffocate their ball movement and turn the ball over in the corridor, as well as force them wide. Kick straighter and we're looking at 15+ goals, and I'd say from where we want to (and can) get to, we were running out about a 6 or 7 out of 10.

It will be interesting to see what the competition learns from Goody today.

Edited by A F
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2
  • Clap 3

31 minutes ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

Was surprised to see my Sunbury line train home packed to the gills with their supporters. They must breed like rats. 

Ah make that false teeth rats and u might be onto something😇

5 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Not sure if it’s just a coincidence but, 

Rd 3 I flew down and we won.

Rd 6 I flew down and we won.

Rd 13 I flew down and we won.

A pattern is emerging….

Please ensure you fly down for all finals games 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Seriously how is he even running given he almost lost his leg and was discharged from hospital over the weekend? 

I was hearing that Geelong was even potentially even in doubt at one stage.

Also @WalkingCivilWar what was the secret thing the guys were training? The only really difference I noticed was the high press on the ball carrier. 

There was a bit more corridor usage today but nothing anomalous. 

Best I don’t expand on that, GtG. The reason being it wasn’t really implemented today but no doubt will be sometime soon. 👍🏽

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Thinking 1

Great coaching.

Stopped their inside change of angle, balls. Amazed by some of our reading of that play.

Our pressure was there for the 4 quarters.

They were so confused about how to play against our structures. Playing the game in the forward area, with the defenders intercepting or halving their rebound, forced that.

They had to use the boundaries most of the time when they had it.

Hard and desperate footy. Late in the 1st quarter we started taking control and answered their goals, so they didn't get too far away from us.

Was worried when we hit the front, that the Woods would start going harder. They didn't or couldn't find that gear. 

Good hard game, had them hearing steps, and double guessing themselves. Forcing the other to play ugly, which they aren't used to. We will win ugly, with smiles on our faces.

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 23
  • Love 2

Smith incorrectly freed against for a "dangerous tackle" on Murphy. Maynard storms in to intimidate Joel and quickly finds his butt ugly Pie face being marched backwards by a ferocious Roo.......we have an enforcer.

Edited by Diamond Tim
typo
  • Like 19
  • Love 4
  • Haha 1

Im still trying to.process this game..

Still organising how friends and family can organise their 'debts'  ( 4 bottles of Port and still checking ;) )

Many take aways...

For the moment 3 things.

1) fantastic for Adam..   well done lad.

2) Joel....pleasant surprise...and what a day to bring your A game 

3) 8:18 .. i mean  ...wtf..   Fix it !!

Oh a p.s.

4) Simon Goodwin and Co...take a bow.. You Out Coached the Pies 👏👏👏

That wasn't our Grand Final...    might give us an idea how we'd go 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Viney....not human  ( lucky us ) 

Today was good.

The heart has recovered 

• Like 13
  • Love 2
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, deanox said:

He seems like a big moment player doesn't he? Loves the challenge and loves the celebration.

Reminds me of a young Ox in that he not only wants to be the player with the ball in hand in the big moments but relishes it when it is him and knows he is the right person to be in that spot. 

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

A pattern is emerging….

I hope you've bought your grand final guarantee.

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

A pattern is emerging….

You better fly down to Geeeeelong in a couple weeks then 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Red But Mostly Blue said:

WHAT A WIN, SEASON FIRED UP!

We kept top of the table to 62 points and had we kicked straight we would have won by a lot more.

The first 4 qtr effort for the year and maybe in a long time. Against quality oppo.

So proud of the boys, MORE of this pls!

Grundy is GRINNING! 

Go Dees!! 

I'd say it was a 3 and a half quarter effort. We started vvvvvvery slowly and let them play their game.

Lots of room for improvement, which is what's so exciting!

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Diamond Tim said:

Smith incorrectly freed against for a "dangerous tackle" on Murphy. Maynard storms in to intimidate Joel and quickly finds his butt ugly Pie face being marched backwards by a ferocious Roo.......we have an enforcer.

(G'day, Tim2!😄)

Yeah, noticed that! There was a nanosecond of hesitation, but then he did that bounce-stepping thing into the confrontation. I reckon that's a primal thing, both giving the stepper confidence and adding to the threat being directed.

He's a confident lad, that one: ref. his smirk, referred to elsewhere here, during his approach to his goal.

All positively Roo-tiful!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Hopefully Goodwin recognises that either Tomlinson or Petty if he isn’t fwd has to play down back for us to get the most from May and Lever. It’s was like been transported back to 2021 watching the backline today. If the forward line can just be more effective with there shots on goal we will be in great shape come finals. 

• Like 7

Our turnover game looked fantastic today we were getting the ball in really dangerous attacking positions just a shame we couldn’t finish off all that good work…still I agree with Goody that will come, all in all a very enjoyable day at the G

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BW511 said:

I’ve got a mate that works for CFC, it was a thing

Maybe you could take a hit for the team and contract a virus around finals, take your mate out for many beers and let him sneak a man flu in to his workplace.

• Haha 7

5 minutes ago, BDA said:

I hope you've bought your grand final guarantee.

I have mate thanks, my wife and I are Redlegs. As special as 2021 was we along with thousands of others would love nothing more than to see us win a Premiership live.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

Not sure who it was but prior to Roo’s goal, should be cited for going the man (McVee) in the centre square.

Pretty sure it was Mitchell. How the feck was that not a free kick to McVee? 

3 hours ago, chook fowler said:

Like Tomlinson down back - is very reliable and good for Levers game. 

He's good for May's game too, because if Tomlinson can take the bigger bloke, it frees May up to be able to outmuscle the 2nd KPF. 

I was wrong on his match up too, I thought May would go to Cox, but despite giving away a head and a half, Tomlinson did so well on Cox.

• Like 8

I am always nervous about Melbourne crowds (size and noise wise). I am also aware that on this forum there is a bit of a ‘us’ and ‘them’ views on this matter (other view being, that is just us we are quiet and refined etc).

After hearing Goody’s press conference I am so much more convinced that the team really are hanging out big time for buy in from our supporters in terms of fronting up and making NOISE! (He / they appreciated the pick up of both this game).

So….I repeat once again (for those of us that can), keep turning up on game day, get behind our boys and be LOUD.  That simply is the most tangible way we can actually help our lads on game day. GO DEES!!!

• Like 12
  • Love 1