• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: Rd 12 vs Carlton

Demonland

english language purists insist that the ph sound ends up being an f sound when you combine it. but i can’t hear it

puuhh hhhuh is not fffuh

how does anyone learn english as a second language? it’s a nightmare 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

As others have already pointed out, Lever is a competent second tall but an intercepting marvel as a third tall working his way onto a small or mid.  Tomlinson is starring at Casey.  It defies logic to leave him out. McVee gets squeezed out.

Hunter comes back in.  Chandler goes back to Casey and Spargo to emergency but a toss-up really. 

Two forward spots for TMac, Van Rooyen, BBrown and The Love Shack.  I wouldn't overthink this.  Just who ever has run the most kms in their last game.  None of them are setting the world on fire.  With a qualifying 12 disposals at Casey or 8 in the Seniors.  That lets TMAC out.

12 minutes ago, redandbluemakepurple said:

As others have already pointed out, Lever is a competent second tall but an intercepting marvel as a third tall working his way onto a small or mid.  Tomlinson is starring at Casey.  It defies logic to leave him out. McVee gets squeezed out.

Hunter comes back in.  Chandler goes back to Casey and Spargo to emergency but a toss-up really. 

Two forward spots for TMac, Van Rooyen, BBrown and The Love Shack.  I wouldn't overthink this.  Just who ever has run the most kms in their last game.  None of them are setting the world on fire.  With a qualifying 12 disposals at Casey or 8 in the Seniors.  That lets TMAC out.

I don't know if it's enough, but McDonald and Schache both have an advantage over Brown and van Rooyen in that they can be played in defence. While Petty is missing that might give them an edge in selection decisions. 

1 hour ago, redandbluemakepurple said:

Tomlinson is starring at Casey.  It defies logic to leave him out.

Players aren't picked on logic but on performance - and this year, Tomlinson has been fairly ordinary (I'm being kind) at AFL level.

But we shall see.

• Like 1

Seems we are selecting these days the same way we play....   i.e trying not to lose as opposed trying to win.

If it's as i suppose it would account for the close loses as opposed close wins.

Selection will be revealing later today.

Edited by beelzebub
Spelling

17 hours ago, Winners at last said:

I was at the 1987 PF too. Yes, it was so, so bad. I woke up the next morning hoping it had been a bad dream.

Having said that, it didn't cost us a flag. We would have been thumped in the GF the following week by (coincidentally) Carlton.

I wasn't at the game, my experience was far worse, and I attribute it to child abuse.  I was 16, staying with my grandparents (Hawthorn supporters) while my parents were in Queensland.  We were listening to the game on the radio, and I was listening in shock to the final moments, and as soon as that goal was kicked I burst into 16 year old temper tantrum tears, to which Pa started to laugh at me, prompting me to do the whole dramatic storm to the bedroom, slam the door shut, throw myself on to the bed with my face buried in the pillow bellowing horrible tears. In the meantime I could hear Pa laughing, Grandma saying to him, "Leave her alone you big bully!" and him trying to defend himself.

Not my most shining moment in life.

And I agree, if we had've made the grand final we would have lost to Carlton, they were too strong.  However I maintain that the experience of being in the GF may have given us a greater chance in 1988, where we were an experienced team thumped by Hawthorn.  Badly.

Edited by Katrina Dee Fan
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

15 hours ago, picket fence said:

I nominate this as the BEST POST OF THE YEAR!!!!!

Not to mention the manufactured game day experience. No 'crowd' anymore.... just loud announcers and music controlling the messaging. Just watch Everton's  last game in EPL, by way of comparison. 

31 minutes ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

I wasn't at the game, my experience was far worse, and I attribute it to child abuse.  I was 16, staying with my grandparents (Hawthorn supporters) while my parents were in Queensland.  We were listening to the game on the radio, and I was listening in shock to the final moments, and as soon as that goal was kicked I burst into 16 year old temper tantrum tears, to which Pa started to laugh at me, prompting me to do the whole dramatic storm to the bedroom, slam the door shut, throw myself on to the bed with my face buried in the pillow bellowing horrible tears. In the meantime I could hear Pa laughing, Grandma saying to him, "Leave her alone you big bully!" and him trying to defend himself.

Not my most shining moment in life.

And I agree, if we had've made the grand final we would have lost to Carlton, they were too strong.  However I maintain that the experience of being in the GF may have given us a greater chance in 1988, where we were an experienced team thumped by Hawthorn.  Badly.

KDF, i was 14yo, at the game with my uncle who got me into barracking for the Dees.

After the game was over, we sat ant VFL in our seats for at least 20 minutes, couldnt believe what we had just seen.

But we had our chances to put then away early in the last and i think we kicked 4 or 5 points in a row.

A day that most on here will never forget, but had we won, Robbie wouldnt of played due to the broken shoulder and we would of got beaten up by Carlton, maybe not as bad as 1988 but i would not have been pretty.

As for this weeks game, BBB simply has to come in. I dont think that its any coincidence that the Fritch Magnet had gone off the boil since BBB has been out of the team. I know BBB isnt much good when the ball hits the ground but isnt that what Kozzie, Spago and Chandler are in there for?

We must play a third tall in the backline, we won a premiership with this structure and have barely used it this year. Play Disco Turner for the rest of the season and tell him that 1 bad game is not the end of him playing at AFL level. Not much point drafting these kids if they never get much of an opportunity to prove they are good enough. I rather loose teaching kids for the future than loose just going through the same motions as before.

And if someone on here could pass this onto Steven May, please dont continue to kick the ball to the same spot after a point, im pretty sure that the other 17 clubs know exactly where you are going to kick it. Furthermore, could you ask Gawn and Grundy to lead to the opposite sides of the ground, wouldnt that be a nice option to have.

Bring in the Woewodin lad, need some legs speed since most of our elite runners seem to have concrete boots on.

I understand its not in Goodwins nature to make so many changes but we need a change up

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Deestinga2 said:

As for this weeks game, BBB simply has to come in. I dont think that its any coincidence that the Fritch Magnet had gone off the boil since BBB has been out of the team. I know BBB isnt much good when the ball hits the ground but isnt that what Kozzie, Spago and Chandler are in there for?

We must play a third tall in the backline, we won a premiership with this structure and have barely used it this year. Play Disco Turner for the rest of the season and tell him that 1 bad game is not the end of him playing at AFL level. Not much point drafting these kids if they never get much of an opportunity to prove they are good enough. I rather loose teaching kids for the future than loose just going through the same motions as before.

And if someone on here could pass this onto Steven May, please dont continue to kick the ball to the same spot after a point, im pretty sure that the other 17 clubs know exactly where you are going to kick it. Furthermore, could you ask Gawn and Grundy to lead to the opposite sides of the ground, wouldnt that be a nice option to have.

Bring in the Woewodin lad, need some legs speed since most of our elite runners seem to have concrete boots on.

I understand its not in Goodwins nature to make so many changes but we need a change up

Sad to say but we have the least points scored against for kickins and the most scored from kick ins. 

8 hours ago, bing181 said:

Players aren't picked on logic but on performance - and this year, Tomlinson has been fairly ordinary (I'm being kind) at AFL level.

But we shall see.

I'd like to see Tomo back with both May and Lever in the team, that hasn't happened this year. I thought his game against the Dogs was very good, and he wasn't horrible against the Lions or Dons, but height beat us both times but we were one of May or Lever down in both those games. We need 3 talls at the back, and while I think all our smaller backs have played well individually this year, as a team we play better with the 3/4  mix, rather than 2/5. Not sure who misses out, but unless we play Rivers as a full time mid, then I'd be tempted to rest Hibberd off a 6 day break or McVee. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, redandbluemakepurple said:

I imagine that the Ancient Greeks did not give a stuff, with Constantinople having fallen on April 29, 1453.  (Yes, desperate but certainly not dateless).   

However, the educated class in the 19th Century, was mad for Ancient Greek (as well as Latin).  They coined new words based on the Ancient Greek language, e.g. phonogram, telephone, phoneme, saxophone. 

The alternative explanation that those were just the letters that came out of the scrabble bag, seems rather far-fetched.

I would pay big money to see you sit among the Collingwood mob on June12  in a demon scarf trying to drum up conversation about the last Constantine who got whacked by Mehmet 11 in 1453 giving rise to the Ottomans.  They would seriously think you were picking them to a fight.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Deestinga2 said:

I agree, we need to drop TMac for BBB.  I don't understand the discourse around BBB being too old, past it, etc, he had a boomer of a time in the first two matches, kicked 8 goals. Okay, he only kicked 1 in the Brisbane game, but hey, name a Melbourne player that night that actually played well.  Since his back niggle he's been doing really well in VFL, it's time he came back into the team.  I also agree about Disco and Woewodin, time Disco was brought in and given a chance.  I'd go so far also to suggest Laurie - like Disco, we can't punish these kids for having the odd bad game, let's develop them and give them a go.  

• Like 1

We need a good tall in Defense, more so now since I watched Jake Lever present himself for many marks which he dropped last week. They than became leaked goals. I havent seen this mentioned but Im not one to scour through reviews. If we only play Tomlinson then we need good ground assists down back. McVee has been missing in comparison to the 1st couple of game but Im encouraged by Salem and Hibbo. Bowie goes missing. Id like to see Spargs tried there. I hope Petty comes back in defense for his solid marking, May IMHO has been very good but a lone pair of hands. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

I agree, we need to drop TMac for BBB.  I don't understand the discourse around BBB being too old, past it, etc, he had a boomer of a time in the first two matches, kicked 8 goals. Okay, he only kicked 1 in the Brisbane game, but hey, name a Melbourne player that night that actually played well.  Since his back niggle he's been doing really well in VFL, it's time he came back into the team.  I also agree about Disco and Woewodin, time Disco was brought in and given a chance.  I'd go so far also to suggest Laurie - like Disco, we can't punish these kids for having the odd bad game, let's develop them and give them a go.  

I'm curious - have you watched any of the VFL games that BBB has been "playing well" in?

His performance last week against Werribee was an improvement but still not great. He isn't in the AFL team because he allows opposition defenders to intercept mark too often and is easily out positioned by key defenders. When the ball is on the ground, unfortunately he doesn't seem capable of applying tackling or chasing pressure. These are non-negotiables if you want to get a game in an AFL forward line and it's the reason we have to play a 20 yo JVR atm because at least he competes hard in every contest.

I'm perplexed by the weekly commentary about a number of players at Casey that should be promoted when the reality is that as a team their form is just ok but not great and individually many just don't warrant promotion. This includes Howes, Laurie and Woewodin. I'm not suggesting they will never play AFL football simply that atm their form is not consistent or at a high enough level to justify promotion. I agree Turner is one player that could be promoted if the opposition called for another tallish intercept defender - this week may be another chance for him.

Our Casey team is where we develop our youngsters and where we play senior players back into some form - we shouldn't be doing that in the AFL squad IMO.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2023 at 10:45 PM, Redleg said:

I am 71, have loved the game and especially the MFC, since I was about 5 and I am now at the stage, where I only want to go to games, to be with my kids and grandkids.

I detest what I see happening to the game, which is run imo purely for money.

People are ripped off at every turn by the AFL.  AFL members are forced to pay $10.00 on top of membership for a seat at the G, for many games, instead of just being allowed to walk up.

The fixturing is completely unfair and of its own, makes the whole competition a compromised sport.

The umpiring is inconsistent.

The MRO and Tribunal are a joke.

The media because of accreditation are sycophants, too scared to report honestly.

Everything is a deal, or fixed by a deal.

Players now are unsure how to play the game and as an example, against Freo, I watched Melbourne players actually hesitate before going for the ball or tackling.

Games being played on school nights, so families are denied the ability of attending.

Blasting music so loud you can’t talk to people next to you.

Excessive Politicising of the game.

My love of the game has been severely diminished by its administrators, who couldn't run a BBQ without giving everyone food poisoning.

I detest the direction of the game, that these people have taken it in and I am not referring to efforts to make it safer.

Yes they have improved the viewing facilities, with some new grounds and refurbishments, but they have imo achieved little else.

At least I have my memories of hard, tough,skillful footy, umpired reasonably, with penalties at Tribunals that were pretty consistent and people loving the game and actually living for it.

Couldn't argue with a single point. Spot on.

Should end it to the AFL although they wouldn't care. They would just point to the Broadcast rights deal and attendances. And then pay themselves a gazillion dollars more.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Roost it far said:

Bring Schache in and tell him if he wants to play with the big boys then shut down Curnow. 

I actually dont mind Schache as a defender, he's playing well as a forward but i would play him higher on Mckay and May on Curnow.

Suspect that the brains trust will go with Tomlinson before Shaq though. Thommo also is good form.

We definitely need to form the defensive triangle 🔺️ of May, Lever, Petty or Thommo again.