• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: Rd 10 vs Yartapuulti

Demonland

13 hours ago, bobby1554 said:

I doubt Brown comes if Petty misses. Goodwin said at his presser during the week that he still needs to work on some things, I assume that to be in the VFL. So either TMac or Smith get that role. Personally would like to see Smith in. If Petracca is rested, then JJ is in the 22. The only changes for mine.

I am sure many here would just love to see Joel Smith get a run up forward, BUT only if he is match fit.  He has had (I think) only one competitive outing in nigh on 12 months. 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 8:21 AM, spirit of norm smith said:

Yes likely no change.   Possibly BBB for Petty if the foot issue rules him out.  

Agree that Hunter has dropped off a little.  Zero tackles (several missed) shows his defensive work is below par.  Often also taking too long with disposals that slows down ball movement.  Will stay in despite JJ deserving a start. 

Spargo just a game.  His late goal gives him relevance.  Goody loves him so he stays in.   

Would like to see the “round 1” Kozzzy return (minus the suspension). He’s going his hands to footy but either fumbling or in heavy traffic. Needs to work on being front or behind packs for crumbing.  His pressure rate is still high with another 5 tackles this week. 

JVR is a beauty but still raw.  Got pushed aside and under the footy by Sicily.  Needs support.  Petty was good in first half and hope is fit for next week. 

Port at home.  A huge test.  We’ve been ok against moderate to low teams so this is a pressure week. 

Yep good call except I guess JJ in now with Sparrow suspended. From the footage it did look dangerous. Maybe Bbb or J. Smith the sub. 

Spargo is an interesting one. He always seems to grab a goal for us at such critical times and his disposal is elite. The issue is his clear lack of possessions. He stays in for his goal power but would love to see him more involved. 

• Like 1

With Sparrow out means JJ in the side and Harmes comes back as sub. If Petty out I would like to see TMac (or BBB) in to get an idea how that works with JVR. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

Huh? Yeah, because if the Suns and Giants has thought us anything it’s that the AFL loves to backflip on new sides. They announced it, it’s happening, no matter how mean spirited you continue to be about it.

Hmm, what's mean spirit about discussing the fact that a large part of the Tassie community don't want their money spent on a football stadium? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/14/2023 at 1:04 AM, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Compare that to Collingwood who have played Geelong, Port, Brisbane and St Kilda.

You can only play who you're scheduled to play so I guess no use making comparisons until we play these teams. However it would be nice to play Geelong and Port at the G rather than at their grounds which of course Collingwood has the luxury of. In fact they get Geelong twice at the G. Oh and wouldn't mind their travel schedule as well...

• Like 2

I've been doing a little research on the name "Yartapuulti" and it apparently relates to that time when Port Adelaide draped entire bays at their ground with tarpaulins in an attempt to disguise the small attendances.

32vIuEY.jpg

Roughly translated, the word means "Yer tarps are ugly".  

To this day, Port Adelaide supporters pay homage to their heritage by singing along to the classic song "Never Tear Up The Tarps" before each home game.

• Like 4
  • Haha 7
  • Clap 6

Petty is starting to look the business at CHF clunking grabs, would big a key structural loss if his foot doesn't recover in time for Friday Night's blockbuster.

Takes away the oppositions best intercept defender ever week in a move designed over the summer to stiffle the marking influence of Moore, Stewart, Andrews and the like.

This is where Gawn and Grundy become so important come finals time floating into our forward line.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Did anyone actually see the incident on Petty?

Did it just get stomped on?

I think it was after he kicked his first goal.

I saw him limping off after kicking it and thought it was a corky or something.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

I’d have to watch the replay but I saw a guy sprawling in to the ground with minimal resistance. 

I would love to drop Fritsch again. His defensive efforts were once again abysmal and the way he goes at the ball in ground contests with one arm just wafting is so far below the team standard it’s not funny. 

He should’ve had 3 shots at goal in the first quarter from very good forward play but he fluffed the marks and then was largely invisible until junk time. He sure did look great when the game was well and truly over though.

I challenge anyone who doesn’t agree with me about how poor Frisch is defensively to get a good seat with a nice aerial view and watch how often his man is the pressure release valve for the other side.

And now I’ll get accused of hating him or some such nonsense. Nothing could be further from the truth. He’s an exceptionally talented forward and I love his skills and strong aerial work. But if he could just get up to AFL standard when the ball is on the deck or with his defending he could go from a very good to a great player. 

Fritsch did need to improve his defensive efforts some time back and he did so and now I agree he has reverted. But I think you need to take into consideration that he's hampered by injury reading between the lines of @WalkingCivilWar posts. His performance is affected by this, possibly more than other players, but that's what you get. 

We could leave him out to recover and play say Joel Smith in his place but I expect the FD believe we have enough tall forward experimentation going on and want to keep one variable constant.

Edited by old55
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/13/2023 at 8:40 PM, Roy Boy said:

Went to the game tonight, surprised Langdon had 22 touches. Seemed very quiet to me.

As did Chandler 

Langdon did his deeds quietly and efficiently: agree about Chandler - 2 quiet games in a row...

• Like 1

Can't wait for this game. We were 8/9 against the top 5 in 2021. Didn't win a game against the top 4 in 2022. How you go against the other contenders is a good indicator. Not saying Port are a contender but they are going pretty well atm and this will be a good test.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

Petty is starting to look the business at CHF clunking grabs, would big a key structural loss if his foot doesn't recover in time for Friday Night's blockbuster.

Takes away the oppositions best intercept defender ever week in a move designed over the summer to stiffle the marking influence of Moore, Stewart, Andrews and the like.

This is where Gawn and Grundy become so important come finals time floating into our forward line.

Cain Cornes was asked what PAs weakness was vs Dees

he said tall defenders

so petty fwd makes sense plus Dixon and Marshall may be out anyway 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robbie57 said:

With Sparrow out means JJ in the side and Harmes comes back as sub. If Petty out I would like to see TMac (or BBB) in to get an idea how that works with JVR. 

I wonder if it might be the other way around. Jordon may appear to be ahead of Harmes because he (JJ) was sub and Harmes didn't play at all. But I suspect Harmes will play the Sparrow role better than Jordon. On the other hand, if it was Viney or Oliver who needed to be replaced, I would expect Jordon to play ahead of Harmes. It's all about the role being played.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Did anyone actually see the incident on Petty?

Did it just get stomped on?

That's what I though happened early in the game.

He kicked a goal, went off slightly limping, but returned to score again.

Didn't return after half time.

I think it was precautionary, with Port on Friday and the Hawks game looking pretty safe.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, dino rover said:

Cain Cornes was asked what PAs weakness was vs Dees

he said tall defenders

so petty fwd makes sense plus Dixon and Marshall may be out anyway 

Marshall will be out with concussion and hopefully Dixon too, though he could have been saved for us. He has had foot issues all season.

Is Jonas still out?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

Steven May - 200 out of the way; now only 23 more before he has played 100 for MFC, and his offspring become father son / daughter material. 

For those still around to find out. I think my travelling bags will be packed and ready to go on their last journey. 

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Redleg said:

That's what I though happened early in the game.

He kicked a goal, went off slightly limping, but returned to score again.

Didn't return after half time.

I think it was precautionary, with Port on Friday and the Hawks game looking pretty safe.

I went back and had a close look at the first time you see him limping is when he’s walking back towards goal as Spargo lines up to kick the first. The limping as he leads out when the kick goes to Fritsch before the stoppage and his subsequent goal.

Just before that he’s in a big marking contest as Bowser pumps it in but didn’t appear to be stood on or in pain when he lands. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Monbon said:

Langdon did his deeds quietly and efficiently: agree about Chandler - 2 quiet games in a row...

Chandler plays a role where you will have quiet games. Small forwards have the hardest role in footy in terms of getting big stats. Sometimes they'll kick 3, sometimes they'll touch it twice a game. It's just luck of the draw and really depends on how the rest of the side is playing. 

I think as long as Chandler keeps up his defensive role, he is perfectly fine. 

BTW he had 12 touches, 3 score involvements and 3 clearances. These are super similar stats to Spargo, but Spargo kicked 2 and that's how the dice rolled this week. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

I think it was after he kicked his first goal.

I saw him limping off after kicking it and thought it was a corky or something.

It was in a pack with several players around the ball. Someone def stood on his ankle/foot ..not sure who ..

• Like 1