POSTGAME: Rd 03 vs Sydney

Demonland

Unbelievable response from the team, got off to a flyer then were challenged by a well drilled team but finished off the stronger of the two to win by 50 points!

Spewing I couldn't be there to revel in the performance, be there for Clarrys milestone and witness JVR's debut, this kid is gonna be something 😍

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Hibberd didn’t finish the game and appeared injured, so that probably makes things easier re:Kozzie coming back in.

Hibbo looked to be cramping up badly before going off. Hopefully that’s all it was. 

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, Orion said:

One those wins where there were few passengers.  We also don't need Petracca or Oliver to get big numbers in order to win.

but it helps - Tracc with 33 and Ollie with 25

• Like 5

1 minute ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Hibbo looked to be cramping up badly before going off. Hopefully that’s all it was. 

Am hoping it’s nothing sinister. He’s one of the few I have zero worries with when the ball is in his hands in the back line.

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Grundy was good around the ground but his ruckwork was largely ineffective. Oliver was clear BOG.

You are wrong - Grundy’s ruckwork was terrific.At the end of the game , when he walked past Melbourne supporters, he got a standing ovation.I was there - cheering .

• Like 22
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, Demonsterative said:

What I really loved about today, was the in experienced players who played well. The usual suspects provided their usual influential games. Clarry, Trac, Viney, May, Lever etc etc. when they play well it allows others in the game.

Chandler is a pocket rocket. When he doesn’t have the ball, he harasses, gets in good positions, defends, and has impact. He is the Goodwin mantra - defence equals attack… 3 goals from limited possessions, but was BUSY all game. 

Mc Vee. Did not see this coming. Love how he plays to his strengths and has influence. An AA under 16 year old player and Taylor picked the teeth and got a player here.

JVR, We all saw this coming. His cameo’s were at important times in the game. Experience will create consistency. 3 goals, WOW!! 

JJ, important and unassuming as a midfielder. Keep him. Meat and pototoes. I love protein and carbs. 

Sparrow was good too. Was he tagging? He was in centre bounces a lot today. 

Petty is a tall strong athletic KPP. I thought he was dangerous. As a forward you never discount him. In the air, on the ground, or as defensive forward. He can compete, he can run. Naughton like. But not saying he is as good. The dynamic up forward was dynamic with him there. We were more mobile.

I saw a mean steak to Petty that i hadn’t noticed before. Not miserly, mean

Excellent

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, adonski said:

Grundy excellent around the ground....his tap work, not so much...

Oliver unbelievable

JVR a positive debut

McVee excellent

Langdon & Hunter both elite

James Jordon should never be left out of the side again

If you watched his tap work improved markedly in the second half 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

Goodwin clearly out-coached Longmire

arrested the clearance issue.

team was focused and intense all gone  

Petty up forward was a great decision. I'd been calling for it without thinking there was any chance it would happen, especially when Tomlinson was dropped. Makes us look so much more dangerous with another mobile marking forward up there.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Great game Clarry, was getting hit by the Swans at every opportunity.  Loved his steal when the Swans, Ladham I think, attempted a handball. 

I thought moments defined us, hard ball wins, defensive structure and changing the angles of attack to create marking chances.

Started winning the centre clearances.

Took our opportunities, when the Swans couldn't (looking at Buddy).

Great tackling in our forward 50.

Swans had trouble getting any rhythm and couldn't slice us apart, except for a few plays.

Swans also made many stupid errors, brought on by our pressure and contest. They couldn't play a manic style of footy and we seemed composed most of the time.

Good teamwork MFC, working for each other. 

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, binman said:

One of life's great pleasures - getting home from watching a win like that, and watching the replay.

Hashtag me too Binnny! I gotta watch the replay every week since I miss so much of the action. Very happy to say that today I saw a grand total of pretty much bugger all (We won, right?). 😁

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Pendlebury is my fave oppo player because he’s just classy, no nonsense and has loads of time

McVee is looks similar

strap yerselves in we might have another Time Lord

On the replay - a 30 second passage from the 14minute 50second mark, in the second quarter - I had those exact thoughts when I saw it live...! I just watched in repeat a few times :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

On the replay - a 30 second passage from the 14minute 50second mark, in the second quarter - I had those exact thoughts when I saw it live...! I just watched in repeat a few times :)

Such a smooth mover. Loved his contested mark in front of Buddy too. The injection of youth brings so much excitement.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DubDee said:

the most enjoyable win i’ve watched since the 2021 GF!

Also, the first time we've kicked 21 goals since the GF.

What a ripper today was.

JVRs debut was so exciting. I loved the Petty move and he'll be better for the forward game this week.

All of a sudden, JVR and Petty could be the power forwards, with Jefferson developing and waiting in the wings.

Grundy, Clarry and Trac all excellent. I reckon Trac has at least another few gears to go to as well. While Clarry was Clarry.

Loved Grundy's work around the ground, once the ball hit the deck and I thought his ruck work for the most part was very good.

The mobility of Grundy and JVR at ground level in ruck contests was really noticeable and Petty's mobility compared to Brown makes us a more dangerous prospect forward of centre too.

Note, I do think there is still a place for Brown as well, but today showed we can afford to give a TMac or a Brown a rest and still kick big scores.

Finally, two other special mentions. I'll start with Charlie Spargo. He's really stepped up his game. I've always been a fan and defender. His ball use is elite, but now he's starting to be really dangerous at ground level and he's getting involved more. 

The other is Chandler. I didn’t think he'd make it, but today he won me over. A top notch performance with great tackling, neat and efficient kicking. And like Fritsch, he knows how to generate scoring shots.

A week's a long time in footy and can't wait for next week.

Edited by A F
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Went today with eldest brothers family. They've all but given up on carlton hahah. And after todays result it looks like my nephew will be Dees fan forever 😄

what makes it even sweeter is   my brothers both played  a lot of  footy with  Claytons   old man

• Like 4
  • Love 4

27 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Pendlebury is my fave oppo player because he’s just classy, no nonsense and has loads of time

McVee is looks similar

strap yerselves in we might have another Time Lord

I don’t know if Juddy will cut it in the midfield, still plenty of water to go under the bridge there. But he has incredible balance, I find it hard to describe just how smooth he is. 

• Love 1