NON-MFC: Rd 03 2023

Demonland

There’s not enough mongrel in modern day AFL. Not anything illegal or thuggish, but just genuine physical aggression. Daicos keeps being left along at half back to do what he wants. Collingwood would send Maynard to him and rough him and make him earn it, so why doesn’t anyone else? It’s odd to me. Throw them off, go after him. Rattle them a bit. It’s all way too nice. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

16 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I hate games like this: the lesser of the two evils get your hopes up a couple of times only to go down to the greater of the two evils. 😑

And it becomes the evil in your living room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mincho Mania said:

What does McRae's success say about FIGJAM?

Right? Honestly very little has changed. He won’t get another job as a coach. The turnaround was embarrassingly quick. Within weeks they looked infinitely better, and the list was the same, or arguably worse.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

There’s not enough mongrel in modern day AFL. Not anything illegal or thuggish, but just genuine physical aggression. Daicos keeps being left along at half back to do what he wants. Collingwood would send Maynard to him and rough him and make him earn it, so why doesn’t anyone else? It’s odd to me. Throw them off, go after him. Rattle them a bit. It’s all way too nice. 

And the only time someone does it is when Ken Hinkley puts a young HFF on him who really isn't suited for it. You almost need a midfielder type doing it.

47 minutes ago, ANG13 said:

Collingwood remind me of Melbourne in 21, not the style but the team buy in and pressure. I can’t believe people are still doubting them, they look like they will be better this year than last year. 

They also remind me of Melbourne in 2022.

First month of the season and most people have them well in front of anyone else.

But they play a physically taxing style and will need to sustain it for another 5 months just to get to the finals starting gate. 

If they're playing like this in September, then outside of Sydney the rest of the competition has a lot of ground to make up to compete for the flag.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, layzie said:

And it becomes the evil in your living room.

Hey! That’s my son you’re talking about! JK as if that boy would ever leave his bedroom. Not sure he even knows where the living room is. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

First month of the season and most people have them well in front of anyone else.

But they play a physically taxing style and will need to sustain it for another 5 months just to get to the finals starting gate. 

If they're playing like this in September, then outside of Sydney the rest of the competition has a lot of ground to make up to compete for the flag.

Yep I can certainly understand your view on that and I hope they do follow our path of 22. I am not concerned about how taxing their game style is though as they seemed fine at the end of last year, unless they get smashed up with injuries of course. 

Agree with you on the Sydney bit. Personally even if we beat Sydney and Collingwood during the season I won’t feel confident about playing them in finals, their styles seem to really trouble us. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ANG13 said:

Yep I can certainly understand your view on that and I hope they do follow our path of 22. I am not concerned about how taxing their game style is though as they seemed fine at the end of last year, unless they get smashed up with injuries of course. 

Agree with you on the Sydney bit. Personally even if we beat Sydney and Collingwood during the season I won’t feel confident about playing them in finals, their styles seem to really trouble us. 

It definitely helped them having next to no injuries in 22 compared with us. 

24 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Exactly 

• Like 1

How long can they keep that style up for?  It’s a long season, and kamikaze football looks all conquering….for now.  Collingwood have sore Cox and a shafted cam (Eron).  Teams need to pressure about 4 players, and make the backs accountable.  The rest is a high wire act.

hopefully system beats mayhem on Charlie’s day.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Action Jackson said:

That may very well be an ACL injury for Darcy Cameron.

Looked like one of those very innocuous knee issues, like what happened to Tomlinson and Lever.

McRae reckons an MCL, but they’ll be without a recognised ruck for the Brisbane game next week.

15 minutes ago, ANG13 said:

When was the last time any side kept up blistering form for 23 weeks?

Even if they stay fit enough to play like this through winter, they have to stay in form whilst sides start targeting them in more depth. We didn’t cope well with that last year. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Boots and all said:

Just not sure we have the pace @Sir Why You Little. That's my biggest concern.

That’s why we did 30 minutes of running after the St.Kilda practice match. We have to find it. 
I honestly think MaCrae has watched and studied the ‘21 GF. 

It is all out attack all over the ground, what we did in The ‘GF 3rd Quarter was run in lines, with Back up ON BOTH SIDES, Left and Right options. 
That 2nd Quarter from the Filth was extraordinary, apart from the Scoring aspect. 
We ran in Waves in that 3rd Quarter and Footscray did not touch the ball. 
The Filth are doing the same, including the Backline. 
The only way to beat them is to take them on. Keep possession of the Ball and run with Left and Right options. 

Good on MaCrae. This is the absolute opposite of Ross Lyon/Paul Roos Lockdown footy 

We have the midfield to do it. I hope we play this way against Sydney 

Take them on

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

The Filth don’t need to win every game. They would be targeting Top 4. 
I agree injuries are a Major factor, but i bet there VFL side is playing in the same style. 
Goodwin has mentioned often than 9-10 players will rotate through the midfield. I am still angry at Pickett for his Brain Fade. He is a huge x factor to have running both ways 

Sunday’s game will be very interesting. They have been our toughest games for 2-3 years 

• Like 4

The Pies are in trouble. They’ll lose a couple in the next 1-2 months. Cox in the ruck is ineffective as well so their rucks problems will be extensive - they may find a way, but stoppage clearance is an important scoring avenue for them (averaging 4 goals a game, which is ridiculous aside)

Will be interesting if o see how they pull up playing on a hard GABBA deck next week but I definitely think the Lions will take air supremacy and dominate. 

• Like 1