Trade Rumours 2023

Nascent

the 'compensation' aspect of free agency pretty much negates the desire of those down the bottom of the ladder who lose a free agent to use the available cap space to tempt a similar free agent to come to them - it's all about maximising the compo

what a surprise that the afl would curtail player movement with arcane rules and bizarre set-ups... 

Edited by whatwhat say what
srsly, the word 're-tard' is banned? demonland as draconian as the afl!

20 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Putting Essendon’s odd list building to the side, McKay is a rare talent who can produce so much more. And he’s free. He’s always going to get a 25% + bump for being free! 

In terms of free agents netting first rounders he’s less suspect that Joe Daniher leaving Essendon having barely played for a few years. And maybe even Gresham. Not to mention the Motlop end of first rounder.

He is the twin brother of a "rare talent". Himself... not so much.

He struggled to play the style that Clarko wanted of him this year in playing in a zone. He plays ok one on one off of the back shoulder, otherwise he seems lost. 

McKay is just fortunate to be coming out of contract at a time where there is a shortage of key defenders around the competition. 

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

20 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Also doesn't make any economic sense to give North a leg up. They're a low drawing financially unsuccessful club with one of the weakest balance sheets in the competition. (Take out their leasehold improvement value on Arden Street and they would be in deep trouble. Want to buy some change rooms and a gym.)

Part of the North Tassie deal going on the table?

31 minutes ago, Willmoy1947 said:

Part of the North Tassie deal going on the table?

Post Tassie entry the North travelling money disappears or at the very least is significantly reduced. Will they sell home games to WA/Qld like we used to or will NT become their 6 games a year destination.

Hawks have the same problem but their supporter base is better

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Redleg said:

So why then would the AFL say no help to us over a few seasons, where they said we had good players and prospects, when both proved absolutely incorrect and we remained at the bottom of the ladder?

I acknowledge the Frawley pick and the Trengove pick, but that was about it as fas as I recall.

I am not against some help to perennially poor performers but it has to be measured not ridiculous.

Frawley I get, but Trengove was no different to Pies getting Pendlebury and Thomas, Hawks getting Roughie and Buddy, Ellis and Dowler, Tigers getting Tambling and Deledio and Dogs getting Griffen and Williams.

They were the rules at the time 

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

6 hours ago, Mach5 said:

Obviously we can’t question that, but I think we can question if enough is enough? Our own “handouts” weren’t without limit and I’d think their existing handouts are not held back by ineptitude, but by not allowing time for the potential to be realised.

The "handouts" that became Trengrove, Toumpas and $cully...

2 hours ago, Deebauched said:

Id sign him up for no other reason than to stop him belting our players.

Might be able to teach our fwds how to kick a football between two goal posts.

And how to throw elbows, specially against the Collingwood thug

4 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

The "handouts" that became Trengrove, Toumpas and $cully...

And I think blease or Strauss was our end of first round priority pick as well.  Just so many bad memories from that period, Morton, Gysberts, Cook, Watts.  Has a club ever stuffed up so many first round picks

10 hours ago, Ouch! said:

I expect that they will, but taking a key back out of the draft... you are not going to be playing that player for a few years at least... It will still be a weakness for them for a few years yet.

They may. But I think they may opt to package up their assistance picks for a ready made. They are minus McKay and Logue. From memory they only have one remaining KPD. 

5 hours ago, drdrake said:

And I think blease or Strauss was our end of first round priority pick as well.  Just so many bad memories from that period, Morton, Gysberts, Cook, Watts.  Has a club ever stuffed up so many first round picks

Who was head of our recruitment back then? I have repressed a lot of my memories from back then.

20 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Who was head of our recruitment back then? I have repressed a lot of my memories from back then.

Barry Prendergast.  He drafted guys who were rated at the time.  The development was horrendous. And a few had injuries like Blease who badly broke his leg before he started and Strauss who took a little while and just as he was beginning to look like the standard he busted his leg too. And then there were a few big misses.  A very forgettable time.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

9 hours ago, drdrake said:

All weren’t actually that bad (Cook aside as we never saw him at all). Massive upside we didn’t see. It subsequently came out the club’s training work rate and professionalism was unsatisfactory. We lacked any decent sort of leadership at the club. That probably led to the downfall of their careers. They’d probably all thrive if drafted to us now.

• Like 2