• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Trade Rumours 2023

Nascent

Ralph's H/S article mentions.

Hail Mary Targets - O Allen, B King, T Lynch

Godfather offer - H McKay

Realistic - M Chol, J Finlayson, J Darling, O Lord, J Waterman, C Burgess, J Koschitzke, A Johnson

Left field - L Breust

• Vomit 1

17 minutes ago, SthSea22 said:

Lord has a ready to go AFL body, close to 100kg if not already. 

He wouldn't be in our best 23 

We’d be in the prelim if we had Lord over T Mc the last two weeks. But I cant see Port giving him up with their current tall forward. Would be like us giving up JVR 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

We’d be in the prelim if we had Lord over T Mc the last two weeks. But I cant see Port giving him up with their current tall forward. Would be like us giving up JVR 

More chance they let Finlayson walk if they are picking up Rata, Sweet and ZT

2 hours ago, 2021 said:

There is an article titled “Allen? McKay? Lord? Where Dees could spend $2m war chest” in the Herald Sun. Could anyone give a summary?

Don't bother looking for it too much. The article mentions the usual suspects and then says they are unobtainable or not suitable.  The only one that might be relevant was McKay and Lord. It was a nothing article. 

• Like 1

Has anyone listened to this?

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/whateley/id1198117448?i=1000628352262

Suggests Melbourne be bold and try and shake a Tom Lynch or Jeremy Cameron type from their contract.

That we have unique draft position and salary cap, for a club that has finished in the top 4 in the last 3 years and whose window is still well and truly open, (but only for another couple of years)

Does Richmond win 2 more flags without Tom Lynch? All teams with dynasties have been super smart at upgrading their lists to extend their window.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

23 minutes ago, MrFreeze said:

Would anyone throw a pack of chips at Freo for Tabener?

I think Taberner has too many weaknesses in his game. He is a decent mark and kick, but poor on the ground, slow and a poor pressure player. We want to target forwards with elite finishing, the ability to compete in the air, speed and defensive intent. They need to tick at least three boxes (if not all four) and Taberner is a cross for two boxes.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KLV said:

Suggests Melbourne be bold and try and shake a Tom Lynch or Jeremy Cameron type from their contract.

That we have unique draft position and salary cap, for a club that has finished in the top 4 in the last 3 years and whose window is still well and truly open, (but only for another couple of years)

Does Richmond win 2 more flags without Tom Lynch? All teams with dynasties have been super smart at upgrading their lists to extend their window.

I would love to see us going for Jeremy Cameron, Tom Lynch would be handy also. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KLV said:

Good discussion. Whateley has a very sound footy mind. 

If we do go down this path then Tom Lynch is a yes for me. Of all the suggestions it just makes sense given our unique draft hand and Richmond’s need to regenerate their list. We would also be able to keep pick 5 in a Lynch deal. He’s not costing more than a mid to late first round pick. 

Harry McKay is a no. The Blues would absolutely demand our two first rounders (5 & 13) straight off the bat. If it was Charlie Curnow sure you’d do it but not for Harry. He’s just too shaky in front of goal. Not at that price. 

I also like what Gerard said about Mabior Chol. “Melbourne already have a few of that type of mediocre forward. That’s not what they need. They need a game changer.”

Will be so interesting to see what we do. They even mentioned shaking Jeremy Cameron out of the final three years of his deal at the Cats. That was really left-field but I do hope our FD is having these serious discussions. Whately is correct in his assessment that we’ve probably got two more seasons, two more cracks at winning another flag. 

Petty & JVR as your twin pillars. It’s a concern. I’m just not sure that’s going to be good enough. 

• Like 5

Should throw 900 a year at Jamarra Ugle Hagan, or some sort of offer he can’t refuse. Dogs have to sign up Naughton and English on close to a million next year, Jamarra is out of contract next year as well. They have Darcy and now Croft waiting in the wings as key forwards too, that’s too many with Lobb as well. Dogs are after high draft picks this year, pick 5 + whatever else we have could get it done. Don’t see anyone in this draft as talented as him at our pick.  Long shot but as Gerard said, shake the tree! 

• Like 12
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1

33 minutes ago, BaliDemon said:

Petty & JVR as your twin pillars. It’s a concern. I’m just not sure that’s going to be good enough. 

Mihocek and McStay
Hogan and Ricciardi
Daniher and Hipwood
Curnow and McKay

I think they can easily be better than 2 out of 4 as soon as next year and not too far from the Brisbane and Carlton combinations that are amongst the best in the league.

Unless we get one of the 5 or so genuine stars of the comp we need depth and particularly someone who can go in the ruck to take the load off JVR. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Mihocek and McStay
Hogan and Ricciardi
Daniher and Hipwood
Curnow and McKay

I think they can easily be better than 2 out of 4 as soon as next year and not too far from the Brisbane and Carlton combinations that are amongst the best in the league.

Unless we get one of the 5 or so genuine stars of the comp we need depth and particularly someone who can go in the ruck to take the load off JVR. 

I don’t know about that. JVR/Petty is not as good as the Lions, GWS or Blues combos, maybe the Pies duo yes but still a big gamble placing that much pressure on JVR in his second year. Can we afford to take a gamble like that with two solid years left of a premiership window? I’m not sold on it. 

Get Tom Lynch. 

• Like 1

But sure about chasing a big name like lynch, what we do need is just a bit of luck with our forwards, if petty and melksham didn’t get injured we would be playing GWS This week that I have no doubt, would rather use our picks to get as high up the draft as possible and get more elite talent with skills being the number 1 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, BaliDemon said:

I don’t know about that. JVR/Petty is not as good as the Lions, GWS or Blues combos, maybe the Pies duo yes but still a big gamble placing that much pressure on JVR in his second year. Can we afford to take a gamble like that with two solid years left of a premiership window? I’m not sold on it. 

Get Tom Lynch. 

I'd have GWS 4th. Hogan beating up on bad Saints and Power* defenders is starting to overrate him.

It's the strength of Petty and JVR together that will see them flourish IMO. 

Unless the deal was great I'm not that keen to pay for Tom Lynch's physical decline and injuries.

Edited by DeeSpencer
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, brendan said:

But sure about chasing a big name like lynch, what we do need is just a bit of luck with our forwards, if petty and melksham didn’t get injured we would be playing GWS This week that I have no doubt, would rather use our picks to get as high up the draft as possible and get more elite talent with skills being the number 1 

In one respect  a 'problem" with the forward line stocks is even with the likes of Milky (retained ) Roo and Petty ( if he is indeed to live forward permanently )  is we're ...imho...still one decent sized KPF short.   Whereby we had the likes of Big Benny and Tommy  alas I would think those halcyon days are passed.  Had we a more mature and experienced Forward I doubt that Roo would have been chucked in the deep end as he was.

Other than Fritta we dont have too many who live and breathe forward craft.  Smith isnt too bad.. but not what I think we're looking at as being the KEY forward. Petty might get there...but he's still learning imo.

It is someone like Hogan (oh the irony ) that we need... Not the Lynchs or the like...just a good solid meat and 3 veg realiable PROPER forward.. Will only likely need for 3-4 years.

We dont need a silver bullet...just add to the silver already on hand

6 hours ago, roy11 said:

Miers also also kicking it to more consistent forwards.  Wonder what Spargo stats would have been like if we had a well oiled forward line.

Can't underestimate the negative impact of a constantly changing forward line. The best teams have played together for years.

• Like 3