Farewell Brodie Grundy

Ouch!

1 hour ago, Mel Bourne said:

I reckon you made your point with the first comment. 

It’s just a comment on a supporter forum.  Honestly, this whole “never question the club” attitude that some people here embrace is so sycophantic, bordering on idolisation. Goodwin and his selectors mystified a lot of people who support them financially. An explanation as to why it was an non-activated Schache on our bench, and not an All Australian ruckman, is not unwarranted. 

I definitely don’t have that attitude. It’s just the ‘I demand an answer because it’s MY club’ type of comment really bugs me. You’re not going to get anything more than you’ve got at the press conference. That’s what they are for. But you’re right, I’m not flogging this dead horse further!

The decision to recruit Grundy and the non-selection of hin these past few weeks are two different things.

It bugs me how it appears he wasn't even considered for selection because his papers were stamped. If anything that was just another distraction for the team. 

Regardless of what was happening and where he is/isn't going, we had this guy healthy and at our disposal and did nothing. 

• Like 6
  • Clap 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, poita said:

The sooner we can move on from this debacle, the better. Nobody has won out of this (except possibly Collingwood), and nobody comes out smelling of roses. Grundy is ultimately most at fault because he has tethered himself to a contract under which he hasn't come close to fulfilling his end of the bargain at two clubs now.

I never liked the idea of tying so much of the salary cap in two aging ruckmen, but the signs from the pre season games were good. Grundy generally performed well in Gawn's absence in the early rounds, but his form and impact declined massively through the middle of the year. I called for him to be dropped weeks before it actually happened, and was not surprised that both Gawn and the forward structure performed better in Grundy's absence. However, circumstances changed and he clearly should have been selected for both finals, ideally starting but as sub at the very least. To think that either Laurie (QF) or Schache (SF) were ever going to contribute more than Grundy is just laughable.

I hope a fair deal can be struck on the opening day of the trade period to get Grundy to Sydney, and we can then focus on finding Max a backup / succession plan. There are plenty of options out there, but it needs to be someone willing to bide their time and learn from Gawn for 1 - 2 years. 

You have to got to be kidding. I have now heard everything. He is what he is. Not what you or the club thinks he should be.

How hard is that to comprehend?

• Like 3
  • Clap 2

As it becomes more apparent Grundy will appear in the red and white next year.

If Sydney’s second round selection at 22 isnt on the table as a straight swap. Would we be better to package Grundy and our 32 for Sydney’s 22 and 41. Effectively nets valuing Grundy @ 673 points (approx pick 28) but feels a whole heap better return than their 30. 

9 hours ago, SthSea22 said:

Is it possible Grundy and the FC came to a mutual agreement not to play once it was clear he was going to play elsewhere next season?

Risk of injury etc. 

I’m thinking along the same lines. Perhaps there was a fallout when he met Port publicly in the run up to finals. Perhaps him have so many close friends at Collingwood left him a bit in the outer both pre and post Pies game. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Colm said:

With regards to a trade with Sydney. A future second and pick 41 is prob about right and would probably give us the upper hand in getting pick 4 from the Suns. 

Depends on Dees appetite to accumulate picks and points this year to trade up.  

On 9/19/2023 at 11:00 AM, SthSea22 said:

What would you do if you were Grundy?

Want to play in a Premiership 

3 hours ago, Demonsone said:

Perhaps the real reason may never be revealed as to why he didn’t play 

I expect Grundy's version will come out when he's traded. Best for Melbourne to be upfront beforehand, else lose more face

• Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 9:24 AM, Mel Bourne said:

If there isn’t more to the story, then it’s just basic stupidity. So you either make your reasoning clear, or let your supporters just assume the worst. 

I reckon the club were fugged off (Grundy) was meeting other clubs (Port and Sidney) during the season, fair enough your manager but not yourself (Grundy) Not all in for the duration of the season.

If you truly believe a massive error was made in the non-selection of Grundy, instead of automatically blaming Goody for the decision, consider for a second that it may not have been his choice. Imagine if Grundy himself had decided he didn’t want to be selected for whatever reason and the Club made this public knowledge. What a [censored]-show that would’ve been, right?

• Thinking 3

On 9/16/2023 at 12:03 AM, DeeSpencer said:

He last quarter stint was no worse than the rest of his efforts and they didn’t trust Schache to do any better than that. 

Why pick Schache if he wasn’t trusted enough to do more, in Q4, than an incapacitated TMc?

On 9/16/2023 at 6:20 AM, dazzledavey36 said:

One of the all time recruiting blunders under Goodwins coaching tenure. 

Stevie Wonder could see that it was never going to work with two genuine number 1 rucks in the one team.

Get whatever compo we can for Grundy and learn from this lesson.

Perhaps they were reminiscing Northey’s use of Stynes and O’Dwyer.  That worked pretty well. 🤔

On 9/17/2023 at 9:19 AM, Demonsone said:

Goodwin said Schache was the sub only if Gawn got injured, unbelievable obviously a falling out with Grundy and not valued by him a complete 360 by the coach, frankly not acceptable if this is the case 

Demonstone - sorry to be pedantic (or maybe not all that sorry), but a 360 would have him back as enthused as he was to start with.  Maybe a 180 .. ?

On 9/19/2023 at 7:37 PM, Colm said:

With regards to a trade with Sydney. A future second and pick 41 is prob about right and would probably give us the upper hand in getting pick 4 from the Suns. 

Or if the Swans get North's future 2nd for Stephens we maybe able to secure this pick.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

If you truly believe a massive error was made in the non-selection of Grundy, instead of automatically blaming Goody for the decision, consider for a second that it may not have been his choice. Imagine if Grundy himself had decided he didn’t want to be selected for whatever reason and the Club made this public knowledge. What a [censored]-show that would’ve been, right?

Interesting … and not something I had considered. You’re right though,  IF that was in any way true, for whatever reason, it would have been front page news and derailed our preparation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, monoccular said:

Why pick Schache if he wasn’t trusted enough to do more, in Q4, than an incapacitated TMc?

Perhaps they were reminiscing Northey’s use of Stynes and O’Dwyer.  That worked pretty well. 🤔

Demonstone - sorry to be pedantic (or maybe not all that sorry), but a 360 would have him back as enthused as he was to start with.  Maybe a 180 .. ?

Mono i know you're very forgiving but just say what you're really thinking 

'Decapitated' is fine

Harry Potter Magic GIF by WBGames

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Hope all the "why didn't Goody play Grundy!?" landers see this.

Even then i suspect some will keep asking 😅

Would love to know the 'Schache, no Schache' reasoning though.  Very costly imho.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 11:00 AM, SthSea22 said:

What would you do if you were Grundy?

Risk injury and then stuck in the VFL?

Surely not his choice he is contracted and plays if picked What's in it for the Dees not to play him

Much bigger story in the back ground I think Hope this isn't some sort of personality clash

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wells 11 said:

Interesting … and not something I had considered. You’re right though,  IF that was in any way true, for whatever reason, it would have been front page news and derailed our preparation. 

as if our preparation was perfect Far from it

5 hours ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

I reckon the club were fugged off (Grundy) was meeting other clubs (Port and Sidney) during the season, fair enough your manager but not yourself (Grundy) Not all in for the duration of the season.

still doesnt explain not subbing Schacke

• Clap 2

50 minutes ago, Kent said:

still doesnt explain not subbing Schacke

Yep. That's 100 per cent on Goody.

Laurie was a poor choice in the Qf too.

Also there are some players like Chandler that seem to be on auto select. And others that struggle to get a look in.

We have also recruited poorly in not finding fwd alternatives to Bbb and Tmac. Their issues and form were evident last season. 

This year's finals losses were a combination of several factors and Goody in my knowledge making some poor selections was a reasonable part of it. 

He's still a premiership coach though,  so I guess he's entitled to make a few.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

6 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

The guy is being paid 20 grand a week! He was attending training, etc. and not injured. It'd be beyond unprofessional for him to declare himself unavailable for senior selection. 

• Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

5 hours ago, monoccular said:
On 9/17/2023 at 9:19 AM, Demonsone said:

Goodwin said Schache was the sub only if Gawn got injured, unbelievable obviously a falling out with Grundy and not valued by him a complete 360 by the coach, frankly not acceptable if this is the case 

It wasn't me!

• Haha 3