• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Every Heart Beats True Documentary

Wilson7

11 hours ago, DubDee said:

A bit harsh no defenders got an interview, especially as our defence won us the flag really. One of May, Lever, Sales should have been included

I believe still to come is certain players re watching the game while commentating on it, that they have done in previous years. Id assume that will include defenders.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Grimes Times said:

I believe still to come is certain players re watching the game while commentating on it, that they have done in previous years. Id assume that will include defenders.

is that happening?!  that would be awesome.  cheers

• Like 1

Was a good doco from Mike Sheahan.

I do wish we could graduate to the NFL Films style of doco at some point…

You can’t talk about the drought breaking flag without talking about the drought, so I think that was fine, and good context for the 100000 new Dees fans that we will gather over the next couple years.

”You like Track? That’s nice… NOW WATCH THIS AND SHARE THE PAIN… welcome!!! xoxo”

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just watched it then.

I found the ‘history lesson’ segment spanning 1964-2013 a bit eyebrow raising as there was one glaring distortion by omission (the merger didn’t stop exclusively because some nebulously defined ‘good people’ prevented it) as well as some historical revisionism by others appearing on camera. I won’t go into specifics besides that and won’t elaborate here if pressed as now is not the time to do so. I’ve pretty much forgiven most people from the past and there’s no point resurrecting  those arguments.

What I liked the most about this doco was the second half focusing on 2021. We’ve rehashed the past enough and I doubt there’s anything new we can find out. I’ve disliked in finals campaigns of previous years how the papers and broadcast media get inundated about stories of Froggy Crompton’s goal, Jimmy running over the mark and all the other nostalgia based palaver that got trotted out then. All I wanted was to focus on the team on the field.

The bit in the doco when we finally got to the GF really had the blood pumping and the tears flowing again. If we ever repeat with this group (and there are no guarantees), I’d love to see a doco where they just talk about the year that was. I appreciate the need to talk of the historical burden on the club as a whole, but there was so much that could have been explored on the journeys of some players. For example, Tomald was on the chopping block at the end of 2020 but only stayed on because there were no takers. Ditto ANB. BBB not only had the trauma of being jettisoned from North but also experienced a family tragedy as well just before he left (though he may for very understandable reasons not want to talk about that). Kozzy as well lost family at the start of this year.

There are so many stories in that group that deserve their own microscope and if there is a sequel to this (fingers crossed), then the whole hour and a half should and will be devoted to that.

• Demonland changed the title to Every Heart Beats True Documentary

6 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Just watched it then.

I found the ‘history lesson’ segment spanning 1964-2013 a bit eyebrow raising as there was one glaring distortion by omission (the merger didn’t stop exclusively because some nebulously defined ‘good people’ prevented it) as well as some historical revisionism by others appearing on camera. I won’t go into specifics besides that and won’t elaborate here if pressed as now is not the time to do so. I’ve pretty much forgiven most people from the past and there’s no point resurrecting  those arguments.

The "good people" part really jumped out to me as well... good Hawthorn people haha.

• Haha 1

The first 1/3rd of the doco depressing for obvious reasons but it set the scene.

Still hard to believe that we won a grand final and, in that manner, too. Will watch this again, but might skip the sad stuff aha.

One part did make me laugh tho was the vision Merger meeting with Brian Dixon saying they didn’t want to go to inferior Glenferrie Road facilities and want to have the best facilities in the league. Hopefully we get there soon!

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, roy11 said:

The first 1/3rd of the doco depressing for obvious reasons but it set the scene.

Still hard to believe that we won a grand final and, in that manner, too. Will watch this again, but might skip the sad stuff aha.

One part did make me laugh tho was the vision Merger meeting with Brian Dixon saying they didn’t want to go to inferior Glenferrie Road facilities and want to have the best facilities in the league. Hopefully we get there soon!

Have you been to AAMI Park or Casey? 

IMV the 57 years of pain elevates the joy of finally winning, no complaints from me there. I would have liked to have seen more behind the scenes footage, also think Darren Burgess deserved a mention. All in all a decent effort.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mo64 said:

Aside from Jack Viney having a crack at his teammates when he was 18, there was nothing really ground breaking in the doco. It wasn't enjoyable reliving our tragic history post 1964.

I think Garry Lyon used a bit of poetic license when describing Jimmy Stynes running through the mark in the 1987 prelim. Dipper was the Hawthorn player who was unmanned in the forward pocket. I was behind the goals and screaming for someone to pick up Dipper, when Jimmy ran to man him up. And the siren hadn't gone at that stage, as Garry described.  The players who all missed gettable shots at goal, which would have sealed the game, were more at fault than Jimmy. Yeats, Jackson, Eishold and Campbell were the real culprits.

I would have loved to have seen a doco that just related to our entire 2021 season, with behind the scenes footage that included Darren Burgess' training methods. As a sports lover, I find the ESPN 30 for 30 docos fantastic. Unless you are a Dees supporter, this was a pretty average doco to be honest.

I am so glad someone else is sharing the blame.  I have worried for decades that it was just my voice Jim heard which caused him to run through the mark.

• Haha 4

Sadly it was another thing that seems to be covid impacted.

Digging out the file footage and interviewing a select number of former players was easier to do. 

I love the rewatching the game aspect, but it’s best done with a group or groups of players, rather than individuals.  

Fritsch and Gawn joking about spoiling that mark. Petracca, Oliver and May recounting their interaction in person. Harmes and Viney taking us through the spillage and kick that turned the tide. Pickett and Spargo on the pressure to create first term goals etc etc.

Unfortunately I don’t think we’ll ever see that kind of documentary made for this flag. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Bimbo said:

I am so glad someone else is sharing the blame.  I have worried for decades that it was just my voice Jim heard which caused him to run through the mark.

Who was on the mark? They should have shifted over to cover Dipper, the person on the grassy knoll.. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

I was hoping they’ll have more inside footage of like the addresses at half time or Gawn out on the field in the huddle at 3/4 time. 
It was a bit same same. Lucky I love watching us win flags. 
An easy watch. Would watch us win again. 10/10. 

I reckon they will save that for a special edition 2021 season  blue ray/dvd. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

Who was on the mark? They should have shifted over to cover Dipper, the person on the grassy knoll.. 

Was Grinter wasn't it?

I thought the doco was good, did it's job but not outstanding. I watched with my son who just kept asking "how could that happen? Why did that happen? Why would they sack him (Norm Smith)??" Haha so young and naive.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, rpfc said:

Have you been to AAMI Park or Casey? 

Oh understand the facilities are good at the above, just found it funny years later in 2022 we're still trying to source a training base/facility.

That being said if we did merge, would the club be training at Dingley, Glenferrie Rd or have jumped in before Collingwood to secure whatever its called now.

• Like 4

I enjoyed it. Unlike some, I liked the historical context to the Flag. It is one of the great football stories and Flower, Barassi, Stynes etc needed to be a part of it. 
The documentary was made for a general audience, not just the fan base who are all too familiar with the painful past. The Norm Smith dismissal is just as perplexing as ever. There has to be a backstory and maybe an archeologist will find the full story engraved on a stone tablet hidden in a dark corner somewhere. I hope so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, roy11 said:

Oh understand the facilities are good at the above, just found it funny years later in 2022 we're still trying to source a training base/facility.

That being said if we did merge, would the club be training at Dingley, Glenferrie Rd or have jumped in before Collingwood to secure whatever its called now.

Would you still be supporting the Club, if we had merged?

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Would you still be supporting the Club, if we had merged?

In '96 I was turned 12, so there would have been some sadness without being fully aware of the ramifications but would continued to follow. 

But as Jack and Todd discussed, going through the struggle made the grand prize more rewarding.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, roy11 said:

In '96 I was turned 12, so there would have been some sadness without being fully aware of the ramifications but would continued to follow. 

But as Jack and Todd discussed, going through the struggle made the grand prize more rewarding.

I was 33 in 96 so had gone through a lot of the pain

I don’t think I would have supported anything with Whorethorn in it…

they have inflicted too much 

• Like 4

Having endured all the pain, l thought re-living some of it through the documentary was important, to provide context for just how momentous 2021 was in the history of our great Club, and our supporters old and new.
My eyes were stinging with tears for much of it, as I rode a ‘roller coaster’ of contrasting emotions:  from the joy of 1964 to Norm’s ill-considered sacking a few months later;  from the ‘poetry’ of Robbie, to heartache in the knowledge that he is no longer with us;  from the despair of the potential merger, to the elation when it didn’t proceed;  to the unforgettable journey, and ultimate tragedy of Jimmy’s story;  ………… and then to the trepidation, followed unadulterated joy of September 2021.

Outstanding doco imo.  Never to be deleted!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Two comments about issues raised in the doco.

1. Some of us at the ground clearly heard the siren before the umpire paid the penalty forJimmy's infraction. The noise of the crowd was so loud that it is not unreasonable to accept that the umpires did not hear it but it still rankles. On the other hand, facing the lolly blues the following week in high temperatures without Robbie might have been too much.

2. The merger did not go ahead because not only the the dorks did not agree but also, and more importantly, Joe Gutnick came aboard and promised money to keep our club afloat. Otherwise, according to the advice we received from a club legend and committee man, the club was financially stuffed and had no future.

Overall the doco was highly enjoyable and, for those who are nit picking about the content, there was only 90 mins and I believe that they filled the time wisely.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I heard from a good authority (ie close family member) that Norm Smith's disgust at the committee resulted from their failure to support him in legal action brought by an umpire.

Norm obviously felt that the club should support their coach in any football and match related issues and was naturally disappointed that the then committee would not. The committee failed Norm and all the supporters.

It was never the Norm Smith curse, it was always the curse of the faceless men that doomed us to 57 years of misery.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1