Farewell Neville Jetta

hardtack

Absolutely love Jetts as a player, between 2016 and 2018 possibly the best one on one defenders going around. Should have been an All Australian at least once.

Loved by the indigenous boys and a real mentor. Really hope we keep him on board in some capacity 

• Like 4

For all the attention Jonesy has been getting for missing this grand final, I’ve really had a soft spot for Nev missing as well. Just a champion of our club. His blanketing job that he did on a Dangerfield in the 2018 EF was one of the great defensive games I’ve ever seen.

All the best Nev for whatever you do next. I hope there’s something to do with the club involved, you are a high quality individual and would be sorely missed.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

A sad day. Nev was one of the greats. Gave his all, always. How often did he find himself one-on-one with someone 15cm+ taller than him?

Could easily have been AA playing a role that is difficult to master. Brought true leadership to the club, too.

Go well, Nev.

Yes, he always seemed to matched up on players bigger than him. The amount of crunches he took in packs and would just get up and go again.

Can't even imagine what it would have been like some years the way that footy would just keep on being rammed into our defense and he'd just keep putting his body on the line.

Always will be a favourite for me and I hope the club keeps him on.

• Like 3

I hope we employ him in some capacity. A development role with Casey perhaps? 
I know Matty Whelan already does the indigenous relations, but Nev just seems like such a wonderful role model. I really would hope we can get him doing something so he isn’t lost to the club. He’s too special. 

• Like 5

Love this thread. I hope Nev understands how loved and appreciated he is. 

Great defender, I never worried about smalls getting bags on Nev. Great role model. 

Hope he stays on in some role. 

• Like 4

I guess all good things come to an end - Nev was certainly a very good thing and one of our favorites

I'm sure he won't be lost to the club and continue to support MFC going forward as we have seen with so many great former players recently

Good luck with everything you do post playing footy Nev

• Like 1

All hail Lord Nev.

My favourite player, I'm devastated to see him go. What a bloody legend.

Years and years before his post-delisting renaissance, I remember a game super early in his career (one of his first few matches, I think, when they were giving him a go as a forward pocket) where we were getting pumped, and I was sitting high up in the third tier in a pocket of the 'G. Brad Green had the ball on the half back flank, we were fifty points down already, and the team had given up for the day. I had a perfect view down the wing and the entire forward line was stagnant, nobody moving to offer a lead, nobody trying to drag their defenders away from where they wanted to go. Just perfectly static, waiting for a long kick down the line to a contest that we would inevitably lose. Except for Jetta, who was leading, and doubling back and leading again, trying to offer something to his teammate, trying his hardest to do his bit when every other player on the ground had given the game up as lost.

For a kid in his first season to show that kind of heart, I've always remembered it, and he's been a favourite of mine ever since.

Nothing made me happier than Jetta turning himself into an elite defender and an MFC champion. A gentleman, an inspiration, and a bloody good footballer.

I'll miss him a hell of a lot.

• Like 4

Gee, after Saturday night I didn't think I had any tears left, but I was wrong!

Nev has been an outstanding role model, both on and off the field, and seems loved and valued by everyone.  You only have read the article on the Club website to appreciate what a quality person he is, and the high regard with which he is held..  All the very best to him and his family, for the next part of the journey.

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/1021995/neville-jetta-calls-time-on-career-in-red-and-blue

• Like 2

A champion of the club but an even better human being, the club, the AFL and the community are much better for your contributions. I wish you the best and really hope the club has a role for you going forward. A very sad day to see you go. 

• Like 2

Thanks Neville.

Great Career.

Appreciate all you did with us.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Thankyou Lord Nev

A Melbourne great…

That this video is a bizarre mix of small forward magic and "umm no you'll not get past me" small defender godliness is so unique, but the defender portion of Jetta's career was just so good.

Imagine Nev from 3-4 years ago in this defence. The other team would never score.

• Like 2

Thank you Neville Jetta what a great team mate you have been fierce defender one of the best one on one players we have seen for some time. Good luck to you and your family Nev, you will be sorely missed.💕💙❤️