Demons Defence Best Since 1965

Demonland

This statistic would have been even more impressive if the opposition had not been exceptionally accurate in the limited opportunities they have gotten. Its not just points for and against. We have conceded 47 goals and 31 behinds for fewer scoring shots on goal conceded than every other club.

Edited by John Crow Batty
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, John Crow Batty said:

This statistic would have been even more impressive if the opposition had not been exceptionally accurate in the limited opportunities they have gotten. Its not just points for and against. We have conceded 47 goals and 31 behinds for fewer scoring shots on goal conceded than every other club.

Welcome to 2019. Except we're still winning despite the opposition's accuracy.

The amount of games we lost that year because of the opposition's insane accuracy...

The two West Coast losses come to mind.

• Like 3

In 1965, as reigning premiers, we started 8-0 thanks to a series of close victories. It all came to an end on Queen's Birthday Monday when we were smashed by St Kilda by 63 points at the MCG. Nothing but misery since.

It was the day made famous by Allan Jeans masterstroke of selection when he swapped Verdun Howell from FB to FF and Bob Murray from CHF to full back.

Murray went on the become a highly regarded full back whereas Howell was already a champion having lost to Bob Skilton in the 1959 Brownlow on countback (it was subsequently awarded to him when the Brownlow rules changed).

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

We have the best backline in the comp. Both in player ability, talent and balance but also with the structures and schemes set up to assist the backline from midfielders and Max.

Best starting 6 currently

B:      Hibberd   May       Tomlinson

HB:   Salem      Lever     Hunt

Int: Hunt

Depth: Petty, Jetta, Lockhart, Daw, (and if not for injury Smith and Hore)

Rivers to me was the key missing link with his versatility and attack on the contest.

Settling Tomlinson into a one on one tall back to contest the second/best forward frees up Lever and even May at times. Plus excellent user of the ball.

Moving Hunt back has given us a different look also. Our depth is also exceptional. As long as he plays within himself with his limited foot skills he'll be ok.

The battle between Jetta and Hibberd for the last spot will keep both sharp I think. I'd throw Hunt in this as well in order to maintain consistency.

• Like 4

The back 6 last year was by far our best unit, they have continued to improve and have the opportunity to be together for the next 3-5 years outside May, Lever, Tomlinson, Rivers, Hunt, Salem still have a lot of footy ahead of them.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Yung Blood said:

We have the best backline in the comp. Both in player ability, talent and balance but also with the structures and schemes set up to assist the backline from midfielders and Max.

Best starting 6 currently

B:      Hibberd   May       Tomlinson

HB:   Salem      Lever     Hunt

Int: Hunt

Depth: Petty, Jetta, Lockhart, Daw, (and if not for injury Smith and Hore)

Rivers to me was the key missing link with his versatility and attack on the contest.

Settling Tomlinson into a one on one tall back to contest the second/best forward frees up Lever and even May at times. Plus excellent user of the ball.

Moving Hunt back has given us a different look also. Our depth is also exceptional. As long as he plays within himself with his limited foot skills he'll be ok.

The battle between Jetta and Hibberd for the last spot will keep both sharp I think. I'd throw Hunt in this as well in order to maintain consistency.

Difficult for Hunty to play within himself when he's the interchange for himself. He'll be stuffed.

• Haha 4

In 1965 the match against St Kilda was the 9 round and 2 of our major defenders left the club Brian Roet and Trevor Johnson to pursue their Jobs Overseas both were in exceptional form and never could be replaced.

Brian was the CHB and Trevor was in the BP covering the Rucks, we also lost McLean to Carlton who was playing CHB.

Late we lost Tony Anderson later and Brian Leahy.

The MFC defence never recovered fron these loss in 1965.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, durango said:

In 1965 the match against St Kilda was the 9 round and 2 of our major defenders left the club Brian Roet and Trevor Johnson to pursue their Jobs Overseas both were in exceptional form and never could be replaced.

Brian was the CHB and Trevor was in the BP covering the Rucks, we also lost McLean to Carlton who was playing CHB.

Late we lost Tony Anderson later and Brian Leahy.

The MFC defence never recovered fron these loss in 1965.

We had become complacent. 
Not ruthless enough to replace topline players with talent from elsewhere. 

A lesson we we must never repeat again 

• Like 2

Love it when a plan comes together.

Love that it was clearly an unambiguous 'here's what we need to be premiership contenders' plan.

We paid the price to get what was needed and not only did we get what we needed we got a whole lot of triumph in hindsight, too.

Imagine; Lever, May, Hibberd and Tomlinson could instead have been Begley, Fogarty, Stocker, Hogan and blank.

Now that the rest of the team is making a good fist of applying pressure and making the opposition's attacks less precise and more predictable, the game-reading ability of May and Lever and Hibberd (and recently Salem, too, which is nice) is really paying off.

Kudos to the long term vision and the courage it took to pay what it took at the time.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

1965 is also the last time we started a season 6-0.

I hate to mention this but my first time at the football was going to that round 9 match with my brother, a St Kilda supporter. He was 11 and I was 8. I decided I would follow the Dees because they were the reigning premiers. 

My first visit to the footy was the beginning of the subsequent disaster for the club. 

I am the jinx. I am the curse. I am responsible for everything bad that has happened to the club since.

I see it clearly now !!!!

Sorry !

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2
  • Angry 1

4 minutes ago, pineapple dee said:

I hate to mention this but my first time at the football was going to that round 9 match with my brother, a St Kilda supporter. He was 11 and I was 8. I decided I would follow the Dees because they were the reigning premiers. 

My first visit to the footy was the beginning of the subsequent disaster for the club. 

I am the jinx. I am the curse. I am responsible for everything bad that has happened to the club since.

Sorry !

You must kill yourself Pineapple ? 

A sacrifice for the common good ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

In 1965 when the MFC sacked Norm Smith my father who also barracked for the Demons said the MFC will never win another premiership in his life time he died in 2007 but he lived to see 11 premiership and he was perfectly correct unfortunately.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

You must kill yourself Pineapple ? 

A sacrifice for the common good ? 

No sacrifice is too great for a chance to hold the Holy Grail. 

I will do it after the dees win a flag or two weeks after Hell freezes over, whichever comes first. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, durango said:

In 1965 when the MFC sacked Norm Smith my father who also barracked for the Demons said the MFC will never win another premiership in his life time he died in 2007 but he lived to see 11 premiership and he was perfectly correct unfortunately.

1926-64 was a fine run

it must be replicated. We have paid the hefty price. 
We need to win some Norm Smith Medals ? dammit!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tiers said:

In 1965, as reigning premiers, we started 8-0 thanks to a series of close victories. It all came to an end on Queen's Birthday Monday when we were smashed by St Kilda by 63 points at the MCG. Nothing but misery since.

It was the day made famous by Allan Jeans masterstroke of selection when he swapped Verdun Howell from FB to FF and Bob Murray from CHF to full back.

Murray went on the become a highly regarded full back whereas Howell was already a champion having lost to Bob Skilton in the 1959 Brownlow on countback (it was subsequently awarded to him when the Brownlow rules changed).

Not to mention Ian Cooper taking big speccies on the backs of our players when Saints went wild in the 3rd quarter. 

1 hour ago, pineapple dee said:

Sorry !

Our family went overseas for all of 1965. Come back in 1966 and no Barass, no Tarax show and no Dees.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, deelusions from afar said:

I think the credit should go to Mark Neeld - he said he wanted Melbourne to be the hardest team to play against.  Finally his master plan is coming into fruition!

I'm pretty sure Neeldy was misquoted.

What he actually said was that he wanted Melbourne to be the hardest team to watch play.

He left when he achieved his goal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

58 minutes ago, bush demon said:

Our family went overseas for all of 1965. Come back in 1966 and no Barass, no Tarax Show! and no Dees.

Ease up BD ? ! Sold our souls in a deal with the devil demon to resurrect the “show” in 2010 on DL. When El Diablo called in the bet we were  ‘condemned’ to remain MFC supporters, a life sentence.

1 hour ago, bush demon said:

Gerry Gee, a suspicious character possibly a poison dwarf?

Let's leave jockeys out of this !!!!!