Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

TRAINING: Friday 29th January 2021

Deespicable

8 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

Probably my biggest surprise was that Rivers wasn't playing with the A grade defenders side.

Thanks for braving the elements and for the writeup deespicable! Very much appreciated on what I'm sure was a day where it would be hard to see silky skills on display and your eyeballs would have needed windscreen wipers.

On your point above, I reckon the coaches would have a couple of probable A Team candidates on the B Team to keep them hungry....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

You would have to be a puffin muffin to drive all the way down to Casey (about 45minutes down the freeway from the city and on to Clyde Rd) on a day like today.

And yes it certainly wasn't like Gosch's Paddock when I arrived - no coffee shop nearby, no Saty, no  guys video recording behind the goals, no bike riders cycling through the park.

In fact, aside from coaches, fitness guys, players and physios, it is fair to say no-one attended at all - except of course for a silly old fool like me standing behind a fence in a rainjacket at the Wilson's Prom end like a Mexican in Tijuana trying to cross the border.

The roads around Casey have been improved since my last visits there about five years ago for an intraclub practice match that featured a demoted Lynden Dunn playing on Jesse Hogan. It was incredibly windy that day and if you ever watch Casey games on TV or club footage, you will know that wind and Casey Fields go hand-in-hand like Scotland and rain.

This morning, however, the constant rain seemed to scare the wind away. We are in the middle of summer and the first thing I saw as players did a circular kicking drill was Trac in a long jumper taking a one-hander and as my gaze followed him, he kept hitting his targets with ease. He wasn't alone in the long sleaves - Gawny, Kossie, Rivers, Salem had them and plenty of others as the morning progressed and the rain got heavier asked for a jumper switch. 

A quick look at the rehab group saw Bowey, Smith and Mitch Brown doing various leg drills and soon after Angus came wondering around walking laps - most likely a layday for him on his road to recovery from all those onions he ate at Gawny's. Melky was also a late starter for the scratch match, but a trainer told me he was fine. Hibbo wasn't sighted at all.

As I'm sure we all do, the first thing I wanted to do was have a look at Ben Brown and yes he's big, but his prominent mop top was lessened because of the rain. His first touch wasn't a good one - he spilled a mark like you or I would and it's fair to say it wasn't his morning - the rain rarely is friendly to the talls and when the scratch match started he was pitted against Steven May. In fact there wasn't much joy for any of our bigs because Lever is mega-disciplined at training and had Weid or Fritter covered while Tomlinson is also aware that he has to perform to stay in ahead of Petty and therefore was staying close to his man.

Just before we get to the match, let me make a quick observation. There is one coach who has a loud voice. He's 62 years old and he was out there in shorts while others were rugged up.  "Pick easy targets, not long and wide - that sort of thing just doesn't happen" he bellowed to make his point crystal clear. It could have been Tom Hafey reincarnated, such was his vehement passion for the game. You all know who it was. Mark Williams will annoy the [censored] out of Goody and Ooze and our other coaches all year with his comments, but he will inspire the players with his gung-ho spirit and love for the game. I was almost about to jump the fence for him.

But let's get to the bit you all want to read - the match practice. Such was the constant rain that it ended up being two 30-minute halves before training was called off early. In terms of matchups our No.1 defenders were pitted against our No.1 attackers while our No.1 mids were up against our Casey-headed mids, so it gave me a clear insight as to Goody's current thinking. A lot can change between now and Rd 1 though.

Prior to game starting Olly was sent off with the rehab group to work on the oval across the road - obviously they didn't want to risk him yet, although he did all the other drills - just not the game. Viney also seemed to disappear as well - sorry I am not even sure if he started in match practice game - I somehow missed his departure.

The first half was a bit like watching the last quarter of the 1987 preliminary final again - everybody was missing the big sticks. One nice passage of play saw Harmes (who was fairly prominent in the middle) kick long to Trac, but sure enough he missed from about 40m. I think it was 0.5 to 0.3 with the A grade defenders with the B grade forwards and mids ahead. Sparrow, Bedford and Kobe Farmer were among those to miss, while Rivers almost nailed a long bomb early for the A grade mids and forwards team, but eventually the drought broke early in the second half when Neiter (Aaron Neitschke) had  a bit too much time and sent a long bomb home from the 50m. Moments later a clearance from Swallow ended with Kobe who got on his left and snapped a clever goal. Both Neiter and Kobe were mobbed.

There weren't too many goals though - Spargo snagged one from a good crumb by ANB and T.Mac set up ANB for another, but really the game was a mass of fumbles, tackles and outnumbered forwards at both ends. Jonesy got injured at one point and went off for a check before returning, while Brown was crunched by May a couple of times on the lead. Rivers getting caught by Jackson was another highlight - although I'm sure Trent wouldn't say so.

If I was giving Brownlow votes on the game I probably would have 3 Gawn (even though Jacko was also prominent on him), 2 Spargo (yes, he did surprise me and was clever and looked a tad quicker than normal and 1 to either Harmes or Swallow - the two most prominent mids IMO. Honourable mentions also to both May and Petty who were dominant full-backs for their two teams.

As to the most interesting duels aside from May on Brown, it was probably the wings. Langdon was up against Rozman and T.Mac (playing for the As) was up against Baker. All four got plenty of it and T.Mac was probably the most influential of the four and gave his team a longer marking outlet.

Rosman, sporting the No.19 top, was clearly the most interesting to watch and most of his kicks got a chorus of cheers from the coaches area - I think it was Goody, but given I was 150m away in the dugout, it might have been our man Chocco letting rip with praise. Rosman is an undoubted talent and is a thumping left-foot kick - whether he is another Brent Grgic just bombing it onto his boot is yet to be determined, but at least he will have good coaching. Such was Rosman's game that I reckon, given Goody's previous annual ritual of promoting players way before they are ready at the expense of his senior men, that we might even see him in Rd 1. Bailey Laurie was also quite prominent and clever in his role as a high half-forward for the B team. 

Based on the side that was picked today, here's your Rd 1 combo (not my team, how the A Teams lined up today). Excluded because they weren't out there at game time are Olly, Angus and Melky. Spargo played more as an onballer today and was lively - hence my votes for him above. Probably my biggest surprise was that Rivers wasn't playing with the A grade defenders side.

B: Lockhart May Lever

HB: Hunt Tomlinson Salem

Centres: T.Mac Trac Langdon

HF: ANB Weid Fritsch 

F: Spargo B.Brown Pickett

Ru: Gawn Harmes J.Jordan 

As the rain strengthened the players split into gps of about 8 and finished with some one-on-one tackling drills and there was one voice bellowing encouragement to his gp - yep that 62yo guy from Port Adelaide. Could be our best recruit of all this year.

With my shoes soaked I wondered off through the puddles back to my car. As I threw off my wet gear I noticed the COVID testing centre, which is located 100m from our ground. I then let out a huge sneeze. I think it was from the rain and chill - but maybe I'm coming down with COVID-19 or maybe I was taking away some excitement from our new covert operations No.19 - Goody picking Rosman for Rd 1.

Brilliant Deespicable, thank you. 

You can go and report again any time you want. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

You would have to be a puffin muffin to drive all the way down to Casey (about 45minutes down the freeway from the city and on to Clyde Rd) on a day like today.

And yes it certainly wasn't like Gosch's Paddock when I arrived - no coffee shop nearby, no Saty, no  guys video recording behind the goals, no bike riders cycling through the park.

In fact, aside from coaches, fitness guys, players and physios, it is fair to say no-one attended at all - except of course for a silly old fool like me standing behind a fence in a rainjacket at the Wilson's Prom end like a Mexican in Tijuana trying to cross the border.

The roads around Casey have been improved since my last visits there about five years ago for an intraclub practice match that featured a demoted Lynden Dunn playing on Jesse Hogan. It was incredibly windy that day and if you ever watch Casey games on TV or club footage, you will know that wind and Casey Fields go hand-in-hand like Scotland and rain.

This morning, however, the constant rain seemed to scare the wind away. We are in the middle of summer and the first thing I saw as players did a circular kicking drill was Trac in a long jumper taking a one-hander and as my gaze followed him, he kept hitting his targets with ease. He wasn't alone in the long sleaves - Gawny, Kossie, Rivers, Salem had them and plenty of others as the morning progressed and the rain got heavier asked for a jumper switch. 

A quick look at the rehab group saw Bowey, Smith and Mitch Brown doing various leg drills and soon after Angus came wondering around walking laps - most likely a layday for him on his road to recovery from all those onions he ate at Gawny's. Melky was also a late starter for the scratch match, but a trainer told me he was fine. Hibbo wasn't sighted at all.

As I'm sure we all do, the first thing I wanted to do was have a look at Ben Brown and yes he's big, but his prominent mop top was lessened because of the rain. His first touch wasn't a good one - he spilled a mark like you or I would and it's fair to say it wasn't his morning - the rain rarely is friendly to the talls and when the scratch match started he was pitted against Steven May. In fact there wasn't much joy for any of our bigs because Lever is mega-disciplined at training and had Weid or Fritter covered while Tomlinson is also aware that he has to perform to stay in ahead of Petty and therefore was staying close to his man.

Just before we get to the match, let me make a quick observation. There is one coach who has a loud voice. He's 62 years old and he was out there in shorts while others were rugged up.  "Pick easy targets, not long and wide - that sort of thing just doesn't happen" he bellowed to make his point crystal clear. It could have been Tom Hafey reincarnated, such was his vehement passion for the game. You all know who it was. Mark Williams will annoy the [censored] out of Goody and Ooze and our other coaches all year with his comments, but he will inspire the players with his gung-ho spirit and love for the game. I was almost about to jump the fence for him.

But let's get to the bit you all want to read - the match practice. Such was the constant rain that it ended up being two 30-minute halves before training was called off early. In terms of matchups our No.1 defenders were pitted against our No.1 attackers while our No.1 mids were up against our Casey-headed mids, so it gave me a clear insight as to Goody's current thinking. A lot can change between now and Rd 1 though.

Prior to game starting Olly was sent off with the rehab group to work on the oval across the road - obviously they didn't want to risk him yet, although he did all the other drills - just not the game. Viney also seemed to disappear as well - sorry I am not even sure if he started in match practice game - I somehow missed his departure.

The first half was a bit like watching the last quarter of the 1987 preliminary final again - everybody was missing the big sticks. One nice passage of play saw Harmes (who was fairly prominent in the middle) kick long to Trac, but sure enough he missed from about 40m. I think it was 0.5 to 0.3 with the A grade defenders with the B grade forwards and mids ahead. Sparrow, Bedford and Kobe Farmer were among those to miss, while Rivers almost nailed a long bomb early for the A grade mids and forwards team, but eventually the drought broke early in the second half when Neiter (Aaron Neitschke) had  a bit too much time and sent a long bomb home from the 50m. Moments later a clearance from Swallow ended with Kobe who got on his left and snapped a clever goal. Both Neiter and Kobe were mobbed.

There weren't too many goals though - Spargo snagged one from a good crumb by ANB and T.Mac set up ANB for another, but really the game was a mass of fumbles, tackles and outnumbered forwards at both ends. Jonesy got injured at one point and went off for a check before returning, while Brown was crunched by May a couple of times on the lead. Rivers getting caught by Jackson was another highlight - although I'm sure Trent wouldn't say so.

If I was giving Brownlow votes on the game I probably would have 3 Gawn (even though Jacko was also prominent on him), 2 Spargo (yes, he did surprise me and was clever and looked a tad quicker than normal and 1 to either Harmes or Swallow - the two most prominent mids IMO. Honourable mentions also to both May and Petty who were dominant full-backs for their two teams.

As to the most interesting duels aside from May on Brown, it was probably the wings. Langdon was up against Rozman and T.Mac (playing for the As) was up against Baker. All four got plenty of it and T.Mac was probably the most influential of the four and gave his team a longer marking outlet.

Rosman, sporting the No.19 top, was clearly the most interesting to watch and most of his kicks got a chorus of cheers from the coaches area - I think it was Goody, but given I was 150m away in the dugout, it might have been our man Chocco letting rip with praise. Rosman is an undoubted talent and is a thumping left-foot kick - whether he is another Brent Grgic just bombing it onto his boot is yet to be determined, but at least he will have good coaching. Such was Rosman's game that I reckon, given Goody's previous annual ritual of promoting players way before they are ready at the expense of his senior men, that we might even see him in Rd 1. Bailey Laurie was also quite prominent and clever in his role as a high half-forward for the B team. 

Based on the side that was picked today, here's your Rd 1 combo (not my team, how the A Teams lined up today). Excluded because they weren't out there at game time are Olly, Angus and Melky. Spargo played more as an onballer today and was lively - hence my votes for him above. Probably my biggest surprise was that Rivers wasn't playing with the A grade defenders side.

B: Lockhart May Lever

HB: Hunt Tomlinson Salem

Centres: T.Mac Trac Langdon

HF: ANB Weid Fritsch 

F: Spargo B.Brown Pickett

Ru: Gawn Harmes J.Jordan 

As the rain strengthened the players split into gps of about 8 and finished with some one-on-one tackling drills and there was one voice bellowing encouragement to his gp - yep that 62yo guy from Port Adelaide. Could be our best recruit of all this year.

With my shoes soaked I wondered off through the puddles back to my car. As I threw off my wet gear I noticed the COVID testing centre, which is located 100m from our ground. I then let out a huge sneeze. I think it was from the rain and chill - but maybe I'm coming down with COVID-19 or maybe I was taking away some excitement from our new covert operations No.19 - Goody picking Rosman for Rd 1.

Only a hardcore demon would brave today’s weather. 10 out of 10 for commitment to the cause.

Can’t wait to see Rosman play. By the sounds of it Round 1 is more than a possibility.

• Like 4

• Demonland changed the title to TRAINING: Friday 29th January 2021

Great write up How did Kobe go? I think your talking about Sparrow not Swallow 

3 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

Great write up How did Kobe go? I think your talking about Sparrow not Swallow 

Kobe looked lively at times (more so than Bedford), but missed a really good opportunity early in the game, although made up for it later on with his goal. 

I was actually more impressed with Deakin Smith, who played small defender for the B side and was clean. Both however are not long kicks which could be problematic in a side with Spargo.

And yes, my bad on Sparrow over Swallow - although both flew in and out of the play.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Kudos to Deespicable not just for his excellent report but for his stoicism in hanging out in Casey in inclement weather.

Also, I see Demonland re-named this thread as "TRAINING: Friday 29th January 2021" and in doing so avoided the temptation of going the cheap humour route of writing "RAINING: Friday 29th January 2021".

Well done to both.

• Haha 5
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, Baghdad Bob said:

Many thanks, what an effort in that weather!  Did Petty play?

4 hours ago, Deespicable said:

onourable mentions also to both May and Petty who were dominant full-backs for their two teams.

Looks like he will be pushing Tommo all the way to round one with a bit of luck 'Bob'...

Edited by rjay
  • Like 2