Jump to content

  • Podcast     

  • Podcast     


Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, Cheesy D. Pun said:

They're pretty consistent with the way they judge these.

Form across multiple weeks outweighs one big game. To be honest, I don't mind it.

Quaynor hardly has a string of notable games to fall back on.

I think what they've done here is recognise Quaynor for 2 reasons:

1. Sholl and Rivers were impossible to split and both are likely to be eligible next year, whilst Quaynor is not.

2. The AFL stuffed up, didn't check studs on boots and Quaynor missed 3 weeks as well as suffered a fair bit of pain because of it.

I don't mind Trent being made to wait until next year given this funny season we are having. He can build his tank and come out next year and light it up.

  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Riccardi turned 20 in November so despite having played a season in the VFL last year, he qualifies and would be a certainty this week. Rivers is next in line on ability and in alphabetical order. 

Seriously good player this kid. Plays with the poise of a 100 game player in his first season. Last night's game should completely shut the gate on the Harmes at half back experiment 

This bought tears to my eyes, but that might be because you're an onion.

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Quaynor hardly has a string of notable games to fall back on.

I think what they've done here is recognise Quaynor for 2 reasons:

1. Sholl and Rivers were impossible to split and both are likely to be eligible next year, whilst Quaynor is not.

2. The AFL stuffed up, didn't check studs on boots and Quaynor missed 3 weeks as well as suffered a fair bit of pain because of it.

I don't mind Trent being made to wait until next year given this funny season we are having. He can build his tank and come out next year and light it up.

don't rule him out earning it against the peptides

Link to post
Share on other sites

A few Crows’ players left bewildered about Sholl missing out and have made their feelings known publicly. Not suggesting we should have done the same, just liked the support for a young kid that probably deserved the nom this week.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

A few Crows’ players left bewildered about Sholl missing out and have made their feelings known publicly. Not suggesting we should have done the same, just liked the support for a young kid that probably deserved the nom this week.

Also this strange tweet from the Crows. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

What a joke!! Quaynor.  
 

1- Rivers kicks the winning goal in a tough elimination finals type game and he misses out.  Rivers kicks two crucial goals.  Even Rivers spoil in the last 15 seconds showed his heart and toughness to match his skill and run.

2- Quaynor got 17 possessions against Rivers 16 possessions.   Often running past for a handball.  Trent Rivers got 8 contested possessions compared to Quaynor 4 contested. 

3- Sexton kicks 3 goals in the first quarter on Quaynor who gets moved.  Somehow that must have been missed !! 

 

There is bias in the decision. Just my opinion. 

I'm afraid you'll be hearing from Gil & Eddie's press secretaries shortly SNS...

2100511840_EddieMcguireAFLPreliminaryFinalRichmondzBK9LVScosdl.jpg.c402c0505add4210343d4308b0b35222.jpg

  • Haha 3
  • Angry 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

At the end of the day another nomination would have been nice, but i'm just thrilled we have Trent on board. What a future he has (hopefully all at this club!)

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

I'm afraid you'll be hearing from Gil & Eddie's press secretaries shortly SNS...

2100511840_EddieMcguireAFLPreliminaryFinalRichmondzBK9LVScosdl.jpg.c402c0505add4210343d4308b0b35222.jpg

Wish a vomit reaction button came with the website upgrade here :p  

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

A few Crows’ players left bewildered about Sholl missing out and have made their feelings known publicly. Not suggesting we should have done the same, just liked the support for a young kid that probably deserved the nom this week.

I didn't mind it either. I think it's good to have in a group that is rebuilding. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/30/2020 at 3:08 PM, Rusty Nails said:

He's a real footballer's footballer this kid but also has the spring and toe to be something extra.

He's averaging 74% efficiency, just above AFL average, and our 5th best intercept player this season behind some significant seniors up top.  Looking forward to watching this young fella's career develop.

Heart in mouth, maybe with more experience and some excellent development and encouragement, we may have another Hardeman coming along. For me, Gary was the best CHB I have ever seen, and since then, we have had quite a few greats in that position. He is not a Neitz, but smaller like Hardeman and has that poise coming along, nicely. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

How the hell did Quaynor get it Sexton kicked his first 3 goals on him. Rivers won the game he was robbed!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway, I know who out of Quaynor, Sholl and Riv that I want on Melbourne's list for the next 15 years.  That will do me just fine thanks!

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

16 hours ago, DubDee said:

Ridiculous decision that makes a mockery of this award. Rivers won us the game. Quaynor got pantsed by his opponent and had 17 touches

wouldnt have minded Sholl getting it but Quaynor???  wtf

I haven't been following, but maybe poor old Colonwood hasn't had one yet, or not enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a dumb award the way it is currently

If you are going to have a best 1st year player award then make it so with everyone elegible, not just those who win a weekly award.

It has strayed away from its original purpose as is usual with many things AFL

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s stupid how it is awarded weekly but the argument that IQ got it for consistency of performance doesn’t hold. Hasn’t performed any better than Rivers (Sholl’s season averages are a bit down on those two). Collingwood factor

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

Its a dumb award the way it is currently

If you are going to have a best 1st year player award then make it so with everyone elegible, not just those who win a weekly award.

It has strayed away from its original purpose as is usual with many things AFL

 

A weekly award is nice. Gives recognition to a lot of players and is something for fans - especially of rebuilding clubs to care about.

There's 23 (or 18 this year) chances to nominate the overall best player, the odds of the winner not having a standout game are astronomically low. Unlike similar awards that run on the back of 'player of the month' like the A league version. 

Quaynor didn't get the nomination because he's going to win the thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

 

Quaynor didn't get the nomination because he's going to win the thing.

No one that gets the weekly award now will win the RS. This late in the season they just make up the numbers.

I’d still give it to Rowell though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

A weekly award is nice. Gives recognition to a lot of players and is something for fans - especially of rebuilding clubs to care about.

There's 23 (or 18 this year) chances to nominate the overall best player, the odds of the winner not having a standout game are astronomically low. Unlike similar awards that run on the back of 'player of the month' like the A league version. 

Quaynor didn't get the nomination because he's going to win the thing.

23 chances to get nominated in a regular year. MOst clubs have at least 2 good contenders each year so there is at least 13 that miss out.

I disagree with your assertion that a potential winner is likely to have a standout game. FOr a start he could have it on the wrong week when someone does something freakish. When Rankine was nominated it woudn't have mattered who else had a good game. Rankine was always going to get it.

GWS and GC have been 'favoured' in many cases as the AFL wants to give their fans some hope. That has reduced the number from other clubs that could be nominated.

I say make it clearer what the award is for. If its for a star of the future as it originally was then that could be someone who has a 7/10 game every week but gets beaten every week by a standout game from another club.

If its for a best 1st year player (which is what its morphed into) then reward consistency

The weekly award is fine. The annual award as it stands is dumb.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

No one that gets the weekly award now will win the RS. This late in the season they just make up the numbers.

I’d still give it to Rowell though.

Analysis of the RS award I did a few years back shows that those awarded in the first 8 rounds have a significantly higher chance of winning. I recall that there were only 2 or 3 from later rounds.

That's a joke. Everyone should be eligible that qualifies. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

23 chances to get nominated in a regular year. MOst clubs have at least 2 good contenders each year so there is at least 13 that miss out.

I disagree with your assertion that a potential winner is likely to have a standout game. FOr a start he could have it on the wrong week when someone does something freakish. When Rankine was nominated it woudn't have mattered who else had a good game. Rankine was always going to get it.

GWS and GC have been 'favoured' in many cases as the AFL wants to give their fans some hope. That has reduced the number from other clubs that could be nominated.

I say make it clearer what the award is for. If its for a star of the future as it originally was then that could be someone who has a 7/10 game every week but gets beaten every week by a standout game from another club.

If its for a best 1st year player (which is what its morphed into) then reward consistency

The weekly award is fine. The annual award as it stands is dumb.

 

Obviously there's confirmation bias at play but the top 13 in the betting market have all been nominated. The first without one is Bailey Scott at $81 which really should be $8001.

Very rarely is there a Rankine like performance and especially later in a season when most of the standouts have been nominated. The impact of betting alone means the AFL won't let a genuine contender go without a nomination as the season rolls towards the 20 week mark.

The most likely case is a chronically underrated key defender who doesn't get a lot of stats but these days key defenders are racking up intercept marks and possessions so it really won't be an issue.

It's not the worlds best design award by any means but that doesn't mean the best player from those eligible won't get a nomination at some stage.

The far greater concern is the impact the media and group think has on the award and the judges. Serong $1.50 and Anderson $4 despite nearly identical seasons is a great example of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    WASH, RINSE, SPIN, REPEAT! by George On The Outer

    Although the Demons got over the line in their must win final round game against the hapless Bombers, they ensured it was Groundhog Day for their supporters who well remember what happened three years ago (although, this time they at least enjoyed the success of victory). Melbourne had its customary start dominating play and having plenty of chances in front of goal, only to find itself down on the scoreboard at the first change. Inaccurate kicking, particularly from set shots would have pu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE LUCK OF THE DRAW by Whispering Jack

    The long awaited clash between Melbourne and Essendon is almost upon us. Thirty-seven rounds of AFL football have passed by since the two clubs met on a balmy early April night last year in a game that produced a high scoring shootout at the MCG with the Bombers prevailing by 18 points. It was their only meeting for 2019 and happened at a time when the pandemic was something on the far distant horizon. Several months later when the 2019 season ended, the AFL issued the first of its fixtures

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THERE’S STILL A HEARTBEAT by George on the Outer

    When bottom side Adelaide scrapped together a win over the Giants last week, a tiny glimmer of hope opened up for the Demons’ finals chances. The patient was in intensive care but not quite finished — there was a faint pulse, a heart beating ever so slightly but was it enough when two more wins and other results were needed to fall their way? The first step was the resuscitation of a team that had lost its last two matches against sides then sitting fifteenth and sixteenth on the ladder. On

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 1

    THE FINAL HUMILIATION by The Oracle

    On Sunday, the Melbourne Football Club that won three consecutive games by in excess of 50 points last month returns to the Gabba, the scene of the last of those victories which was a 56 point drubbing of Collingwood. The Demons got off to a good start and won every quarter with a ruthless and powerful brand of football. They kicked 16 goals that day, their accuracy in front of goal a tribute to the skills the put on display throughout the afternoon and evening. In the four matches playe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    GIVEN THE OLD HEAVE HO’ by George on the Outer

    Fremantle gave Melbourne the old heave ho’ from playing finals in 2020, in conditions that the Demons yet again failed to handle.   With the whole season on the line and the need to win to stay in contention for finals, what the fans saw was much the same as they have been witnessing so many times before — a complete debacle and capitulation against a side that sat 15th on the ladder before the game.     Promises made after the loss to the 16th placed Sydney Swans were rendered h

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    GETTING THE HEAVE HO by Bananabender

    The ute barely made it up to Cairns in time for us to check into the motel, fling a cane toad out the bathroom. and head over to Cazaly’s Stadium where we took up our position on the wing. There, we saw a completely different Melbourne to the one we watched on the screen only a few nights earlier from Alice Springs. This lot wore similar colours and Maxy dominated the ruck but the similarities ended there - the Demons were simply dreadful against the Swans. They started sluggishly, were spe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A CLANGER IN CAIRNS by George on the Outer

    Having fought back into finals contention, the Demons had it all before them when facing a lowly Sydney in Cairns.  But in typical Melbourne fashion, they threw away the opportunity to cement their spot in the eight with a clanger of a game.  Right from the start, there was little to enthuse from the Melbourne players, who appeared to think that they only had to turn up, enjoy the North Queensland sun, and take away the four points.  Compared with the furious ground wide pressure of the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TEN MINUTES LATE by Whispering Jack

    The late Norm Smith, who played in four Melbourne premierships and coached another six, was a strong disciplinarian. Known as the Red Fox for his auburn hair and his cunning, Smith was a man of a different age to the here and now. Born during the Great War, he survived the Spanish Flu Pandemic, grew up in depression times, played mostly through the Second World War and its aftermath and coached in a period of rebuilding and recovery to a time of prosperity. Smith’s success was built on team

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SAINTS HELL IN DEES HEAVEN by GOTO

    The last of this year’s indigenous games was played in the red heart of the country and could well have determined Melbourne’s finals aspirations but it was St Kilda that had its top four hopes dashed after a nail-biting finish in Alice Springs which saw them unceremoniously marched out of the position in football heaven occupied by them for much of this season. It all came down in the end to a goal-line decision as to whether a freakish shot by Christian Petracca was touched and the goal u

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DO OR DIE by The Oracle

    Melbourne is, not for the first time, paying for lapses in matches whereby the club leaks multiple goals without answer and which usually cost the club in those all-important eight point games as it did last week against the Western Bulldogs which replaced the Demons in the AFL top eight. And this week, they come up against a team that reputedly plays in the same mode as the Bulldogs but has been able to prevail over better opponents than Melbourne. It’s not that the Demons are out of form

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    GIVE THE DOGS A BONE by George on the Outer

    The winner of the game is in the top eight and the loser out. Had Melbourne won, it would have consigned the Bulldogs season to the scrapheap given their remaining fixture which still includes a bye. The Demons led at half-time but they gave the Dogs a bone which was willingly accepted — they notched 6 goals in the third quarter and dumped the Demons out of the eight. This game simply saw all the bad habits return for Melbourne players.  When they serve up dinky kicks, dinky handballs, litt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    FRENZY by Whispering Jack

    The Melbourne Football Club should hand out an award to the person who came up with the concept of the 20 day football frenzy the football world experienced from Round 9 to the completion of Round 12 on Monday. When the AFL fixture was moved into a state of perpetual motion, things changed so quickly that it was difficult to fathom exactly what was happening to the competition but the Demons have been one of the beneficiaries to date. The flogging the team received at the hands of Port Adel

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews


×
×
  • Create New...