CHANGES: Rd 15 vs Sydney

Demonland

49 minutes ago, CBDees said:

Why would you drop Hibberd? Reports after the match suggest he will not be unavailable because of injury. ?

injured - goodwin said post match that it had blown up massively

five days might be a touch too close

in terms of jones, i think it's just about workload; he looked cooked at the end

17 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

injured - goodwin said post match that it had blown up massively

five days might be a touch too close

in terms of jones, i think it's just about workload; he looked cooked at the end

Don't risk Hibbo this Thursday manage till next week after vs Freo.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GawnWithTheWind said:

Ins: Fritsch, Harmes, Lockhart

Outs: Jones, Kozzie (managed), Hibberd (managed/injured)

FB: Lockhart - May - Lever 

HB: Salem - McDonald - Rivers

C : Tomlinson - Viney - Langdon

HF: Melksham - Brown - Hannan

FF: Spargo - Weid - Fritsch

R: Gawn - Oliver - Trac

I: Brayshaw - Harmes - Lockhart - Wagner

Vandenburg?  Lockhart x 2 

I think you want Vdberg on the bench 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GawnWithTheWind said:

Forgot AVB Locky named twice!!

It’s hard to assess the changes based on last nights tv coverage. 
we won because we held our structure which could involved those with low stats simply doing their job, limiting the Saints options, and ensuring we win.

spargo, Vanders and Kozzie seem good at positioning and pressure.

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Demons11 said:

Are you kidding me? 6 changes to a winning side
If I hear one more person say play Bennell, I’ll spew up. He was well below average when In the side and has not been mentioned in the best in any of the scratch matches.  Why would you reward someone who is not playing well enough to earn his position. 

Ordinarily no but there’s reasons for 6 changes. 

1 Hibberd has a twisted swollen ankle.  Unlikely to be available for Thursday.
2 Pickett needs to be managed and get a break. 

Despite our great win over the Saints, there were some absolute passengers who were spectators and almost cost us on many occasions.  

3 Oscar was terrible.  Turnovers and missed tackles.  How on earth does he get a game?
Not needed versus the mid sized Swans forward line 
4 Hannan was ordinary and had no impact

5 Spargo created nothing. Still little impact despite time upfield. 
6 Vandenburg was poor and seems to be getting slower. Needs a break. 

Ins.
Lockhart replaces Hibberd.
Bedford replaces Pickett.
Bennell/Neal-Bullen/Hunt replace Spargo

Fritsch replaces Hannan

Baker replaces Vandenburg.
Harmes gets back in and please let him tag (Parker, Fyfe, Kelly, McGrath in next 4 weeks) 

I know Goody won’t do the six but they need to recognize that the Saints were all over us and we had 6/7 blokes who stood up as champions to win the day and others who were terrible. 

• Like 2

Ricoh said in his interview that players would be managed across this block of games.  Sydney are not hopeless, just not quite good enough so we want to play a good team each week.  We also should reward as many as we can who got the job done in the Alice.

Could see these being dropped: Jones, Kozzie, AVB, Hannan.

Managed: Hibbard (ankle)

Matchup:  OMac - may not have a tall to play on against the swans.

Maybe a few rotated/rested in like for like swaps.

Here's what i think will happen with selections (and also what i agree should happen):

Out:

Jones: needs a freshen up and two games in 9 games a perfect opportunity 

Kozzie: needs a freshen up and two games in 9 games a perfect opportunity

Hibbo: bad sprain, makes sense to give him at least the swans game to recover

Hannan: was given an opportunity with the late withdrawal of Jones last week and hasn't taken it. Kicking was terrible yesterday and could not stick a tackle (a caveat, i'm guessing he did work super hard to cover the switich and outlet kicks and if so Goody may well reward the work ethic)

In

Bennell: comes in for Jones and plays on the win. They will be thinking a week at time of course and not get ahead of themselves, but have to be planning for finals. If they want Harley available as an option for finals he needs some game time. With no disrespect to Swans and Freo these next two games are the best opportunity to give him some. Will need to be a lot more physical though than he was in the Crows game if he is to remain in the team. 

Hunt: the chance to return bit on the dees website is usually pretty close to to the mark in terms of who comes in (this week flagging Omac, Rivers and Wagner) and he was a player highlighted. Seems an obvious swap for Hannan, with the added bonus of a better tackler and more speed

Bedford: comes in to play the small forward's role (though i suspect Corey Wagner might also be a chance for this role)

Smith: a natural swap for hibberd. Wasn't nearly as bad as many suggested as he was given the role of a big. Sit him on Papley with orders to wear him like a glove crunch him at every opportunity. Papley is clever and will likely snag a goal or two but Smith has the speed and strength to go with him and make life difficult for him (lochart might also be a chance for this role)

11 hours ago, dees-picable said:

Bennell in for Pickett who was terrible tonight

Fritsch in for AVB

Harmes in as a forward for Hannan

Oscar out for Lockhart possibly or Jetta  

May to Canberra as Minister for Defence !

Nailed it. On all counts.

• Like 1

I don't think Jones adds enough and I think Harmes should be given the chance to play that role.

I'd bring Fritsch back for either Hannan or vandenBerg. 

If we can cope against Sydney without OMac, I'd drop him. I'd bring Lockhart in for him. If Hibberd's injured, we may retain OMac though.

11 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

Need to see a lot of changes IMO. I would prefer fresh depth players to be picked than our tired fringe players. We have to back up again 4 days later. 

Harmes, ANB, Tmac, Lockhart, Fritsch, Jetta, Bennell and Hunt should all be strongly considered for the Sydney match. 

We've had seven day breaks two weeks in a row now. We've rotated players already, with six changes this week.

The most likely players to be tired are the A-graders who aren't going anywhere.

I wouldn't be making lots of changes, I'd be focusing instead on just those changes that obviously improve us.

10 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

I thought Wagner and Brown were good.

I thought Brown was good and Wagner just OK. Happy for both to get another game.

My point was more that if anyone had posted on here pre-season that we'd be in the running for finals with a side in Round 15 featuring all of J Wagner, C Wagner, Brown and ANB (possibly Spargo too!), you'd have been called insane.

10 hours ago, Dr.D said:

I'm not going to let the marrow win paper over the cracks of some horrible skills and match selection mistakes.

Out: Oscar McDonald (He is so beneath the level of afl it's staggering he is on the list. His inclusion is s big reason that I don't believe Goodwin can coach).

Pickett: agree with most people here. Needs to find the footy more and not go to ground so easily. Needs to slow down in the mind when he has the ball.

Hannan: needs to hit the scoreboard.

In: Fritsch,  J.Smith. ANB

When will it end?

• Haha 1

we could probably make another half dozen changes on that performance .We would have lost by 5 goals if not for the herculean effort of May .A gobsmacking performance over the next big thing in football .Pickett and Spargo cant be played in the same side and there is no reason to retain either .Melksham has hardly played a decent game all year and on the rare occasions that Hannan gets a possession he just turns it over .Vanders is a great trier but too slow .omac is breathtakingly inept and would not be considered for any other AFl list .Harmes ,Fritsch ANB Smith  and even Hunt must come under close selection scrutiny .

12 hours ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

Fairly short break going up to the hot and humid Cairns.    Luckily the same day break as the Swans. 

There will definitely be a few changes.

It's raining and cold here at the moment.

Can I just say I've got tickets?

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

I don't think Jones adds enough and I think Harmes should be given the chance to play that role.

I'd bring Fritsch back for either Hannan or vandenBerg. 

If we can cope against Sydney without OMac, I'd drop him. I'd bring Lockhart in for him. If Hibberd's injured, we may retain OMac though.

We've had seven day breaks two weeks in a row now. We've rotated players already, with six changes this week.

The most likely players to be tired are the A-graders who aren't going anywhere.

I wouldn't be making lots of changes, I'd be focusing instead on just those changes that obviously improve us.

I thought Brown was good and Wagner just OK. Happy for both to get another game.

My point was more that if anyone had posted on here pre-season that we'd be in the running for finals with a side in Round 15 featuring all of J Wagner, C Wagner, Brown and ANB (possibly Spargo too!), you'd have been called insane.

When will it end?

We have 5 days, 4 days and 6 days between games, so we need to plan the next block in advance. And we will be playing in hot and humid weather.

Apart from Gawn, Petracca, Oliver, Langdon, Viney, May, Lever and Weideman all our players are interchangeable IMO. All the other players should be given at least one game off. We tried the continuity approach the first time and it was a disaster against Port. I want to see 8 changes. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

We have 5 days, 4 days and 6 days between games, so we need to plan the next block in advance. And we will be playing in hot and humid weather.

Apart from Gawn, Petracca, Oliver, Langdon, Viney, May, Lever and Weideman all our players are interchangeable IMO. All the other players should be given at least one game off. We tried the continuity approach the first time and it was a disaster against Port. I want to see 8 changes. 

Maybe Salem.

Not arguing with your assessment or about the talent in your list but a premier side needs more than 8  players that are certain starts.

Who is missing from 2017. Tmac...Hogan..Jetta?

3 minutes ago, GawnWithTheWind said:

As the siren sounded they went to Goodwin on the boundary line, on the bench were:

- Pickett needs a rest and also could do with a game in scratch/twos to get more of the ball, he will make it, but needs development.

- Jones a Demon warrior! Now slow and making critical errors, the miss in the backline with just over a minute to go before half time cost us two goals and nearly the game! A player of his experience should have made sure we killed the last 80-90 seconds of the quarter! 
- Hannan, his good is very good, but it’s 1 very good game, 1 average game, 3 poor games in every 5, he needs to improve his worst performances.

- Wagner played okay, but always makes you feel nervous, there are 4-5 other players I would select ahead of him in a half back role.

I felt it was telling they were on the bench when the match was on the line!

I’ve been very frustrated with Goodwin this season, particularly lack of moves against the Dogs, but credit where credit is due, the Demons won the strategy battle against the Saints.

So for me the definite outs:

- Pickett   In: Bedford like for like, give him a go!

- Hannan In: Fritsch

- Jones    In: Harmes get him to play forward and tag Swans back half playmaker

- Wagner.  In: Lockhart not sure why he was out

On the edge:, 5 changes on a four day break is acceptable, so possibly one more:

- Oscar, helps the structure, both May & Lever seem to play better when he is in the team, but he is a worry, slow running and slow to get rid of the ball, all bar his first game back last time, when he actually just went for it. Anyway I think his place will be dependent on Swans structure!

- VDB, another warrior incredibly courageous, but disposal ordinary at best, can accept as number 22, but a weeks break wouldn’t hurt his body

- Hibberd out only if ankle sore 

- Spargo low possession game, but had most tackles of the forwards, and also ball only went into forward 50 30 Times! A little like Weideman just give him 4-5 games in a row as long as he is doing the team things. If you look at forward pocket type role across the league, only the best play we’ll week in week out, tough role to play!

If one of the above is out, you have a range of options to select from:

- ANB - Runs and puts pressure on, but feels like top VFL player, needs to step up to make it at AFL

- Hunt was playing very well until he knocked himself out on the Crows ruckman hip, two years ago never been the same since, I would try see if he can do what Langdon does

- Smith to me could play as a defensive forward, has closing speed, can mark, can kick, just doesn’t have great football nous! 
- Bennell would just let Him keep building in the practice matches

Game plan - rotating Petracca and Viney in and out of the middle would make it tough for opposing sides to continually match up against!

1 minute ago, leave it to deever said:

Maybe Salem.

Not arguing with your assessment or about the talent in your list but a premier side needs more than 8  players that are certain starts.

Who is missing from 2017. Tmac...Hogan..Jetta?

Yes Salem as well. Obviously it also depends on recovery. 

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

IN: Lockhart, Bedford, Fritsch

OUT: Hibberd (inj), Kozzy (rest), vandenBerg

I like these changes.. I thought it was a mistake dropping Lockhart, but we covered his absence well. Hibbo has had a really good consistent year and we will miss him, but should be rested. And AVB is simply not having any impact at all.. its a tough one, i love his physical approach but 0 tackles last night, 1 v Dogs and 0 against Pies. Simply not doing what we want, might be positional, might be game plan, but its his 1 wood and its not being used. Give Bedford a run, Pickett is a bit lost. I think we can all see that he will get there, but he continues to not do the percentages.. tap ons, between the leg stuff, overrunning the ball at pace.. its all signs of a player that is trying a bit hard. i hope coaches sit him down and say, what we need first is impact, the highlights will come. 

Also hot in Cairns after Alice Springs, i think we need some freshness. Fritsch owes us and will be a good in.

I am a fan of Mitch Hannan, i think he is a good natural footballer, but last night he had a really poor game. He needs another week, some continuity to find his spot. I think Melksham is hanging by a thread but he has kicked 15 goals, last night only the third game he has not hit scoreboard so he stays. 

If you look at teh Swans, they used McCartin at CHB v Port yesterday. That leaves a pretty small Fwd line for them, Sinclair went fwd, as Allir did some ruck work. I cant find a match up for Oscar. Unless he plays on Reid and we free up May and Lever to be dual interceptors. Will be interesting selection, i hope its team selected for match ups rather than rewarding a team that won a game.

• Like 2

I think we need a squad mentality in this next set of 3 games.

I think our starting midfield needs some respite. I'd play Harmes in his former midfield role and retain Petracca, Oliver, Viney and Brayshaw but give them less minutes. That will probably keep Jones in the team despite his 2nd quarter coach killer error. Maybe ANB for midfield minutes, he was talked up in the scratch match.

i'd be tempted to play Preuss in place of Maxy, it's Sinclair/Allir this week and Darcy/Lobb next weekend so it would have to be against Sydney I think.

Brown and Wagner were fine - We're not going to drop a bloke that went back with the flight like that and then got straight back up and took the next mark (not paid because of some unrelated free).  JWags started out fumbly and I thought here we go, but he tightened up and played his best game for a few years.

Spargo's tackling pressure was good and as @PaulRB said - our zone was good so our whole team must've worked hard off the ball unseen on TV.

Kossie's pressure is good but he needs to take responsibility and win the ball, he's overawed as his tap on to Petracca showed. Just grab the thing, turn on the after burners and kick the goal.  He also falls over too much. Hopefully he's being coached on this. I'd give CWags, Bedford or Chandler a run in his place at least this week.

I thought Tomlinson was good, he was just solid and effective which is what we'd be hoping for. AVB was MIA until the last quarter. Fritsch has might come in for him.

Lockhart for the injured Hibberd. I'd retain Oscar for structure and what he enables May and Lever to do. But they might opt for Tomlinson back there again because the Swans aren't as tall as the Saints up forward.

I'm not a Smith or Hunt fan.

Edited by Pollyanna
  • Like 3

Maybe people feel they need to be softer on him but how the first out in every response here is not Jones is beyond me. He has been great for many years but he is cooked and is not even close to on the level the rest are playing at. Last night should be his last game barring deep injuries to our list. Consider these stats.

Game high clangers with 5 with the most obvious one completely shifting the momentum and nearly costing us the game.

Bottom quartile for pressure acts with 4.

The lowest metres gained of any player on both sides with +33 (is that even possible as a wing/flanker).

When the game was on the line in the last quarter did not register a possession.

We know where he is at and just like we have done with Jetta we need to back others in to add to our dynamic ahead of him. 

Edited by big_red_fire_engine
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Deeko2 said:

Fritsch back in for Kozzie. I’m a fan of the kid but his brain is working too quick for his body. I’d rather give him some games in the twos and kick a few bags. 

Bingo good pick up when this kid slows down and pick his moments he will be brilliant.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Demon3 said:

I like these changes.. I thought it was a mistake dropping Lockhart, but we covered his absence well. Hibbo has had a really good consistent year and we will miss him, but should be rested. And AVB is simply not having any impact at all.. its a tough one, i love his physical approach but 0 tackles last night, 1 v Dogs and 0 against Pies. Simply not doing what we want, might be positional, might be game plan, but its his 1 wood and its not being used. Give Bedford a run, Pickett is a bit lost. I think we can all see that he will get there, but he continues to not do the percentages.. tap ons, between the leg stuff, overrunning the ball at pace.. its all signs of a player that is trying a bit hard. i hope coaches sit him down and say, what we need first is impact, the highlights will come. 

Also hot in Cairns after Alice Springs, i think we need some freshness. Fritsch owes us and will be a good in.

I am a fan of Mitch Hannan, i think he is a good natural footballer, but last night he had a really poor game. He needs another week, some continuity to find his spot. I think Melksham is hanging by a thread but he has kicked 15 goals, last night only the third game he has not hit scoreboard so he stays. 

If you look at teh Swans, they used McCartin at CHB v Port yesterday. That leaves a pretty small Fwd line for them, Sinclair went fwd, as Allir did some ruck work. I cant find a match up for Oscar. Unless he plays on Reid and we free up May and Lever to be dual interceptors. Will be interesting selection, i hope its team selected for match ups rather than rewarding a team that won a game.

Yep Vanders is really struggling. I think he belongs up forward.

Hannan did have a poor game but I reckon he has played quite a few poor ones this year and like a few has lost his old form.

Lockhart was stiff but must come in to replace Hibberd. If the latter is ok then for Omac who wasnt great. (Seems slow like his brother) sorry Mrs Mcdonald.

Pickett needs to develop and Spargo after 2 rippers has evened it out with 2 below par but Im not sure who to replace either of them. This Highlights our lack of fast small players

1 hour ago, Fat Tony said:

We're a side that is building form as a group when we've struggled to get any continuity into our 22. 

We can't afford to chop and change the side as much as having 8 players in/out in one week. There's no need to rest players for Rounds 17 and 18, and/or finals, if we don't win Rounds 15 and 16.

4 changes, maybe 5, will be enough to rotate the bottom half of the squad and find fresher legs for some tired expendable legs. Otherwise, we have to back our fitness in.