• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Goodwin shows some emotion...finally

NQLDemon

1 hour ago, Clint Bizkit said:

He’s finally getting team selections right (or close to).

Yes selections making a difference. Get Weideman in. Get Bennell in. Get Vandenburg in.  Also the media criticism was definitely noted. We are not in the red zone so much. 

• Like 1

I liked seeing it from him, we were 48 points up and cruising but he didn’t like seeing that passage of play and that says he’s not interested in seeing the team coast. He wants them playing right the entire game. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

Today showed how far off being a good coach he is. I'd love a please explain as to why Weideman wasn't in the team when he clearly makes us better. 

Or, on the flip side of that, did he make the right decision in keeping Weideman out of the side until now?  He has come in and really made an impact, which could very well be down to how we have managed him up to this point.

I won't argue that we clearly should have been going with two talls, especially against both Geelong and Richmond, but I think Weid has come in ready to go and some of that has to be down to how the coaches have managed him.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

I was told by my source that he normally hits the underneath of the desk in an upward motion. He was told to make it more overt by raising his fist and hitting the top of the desk with a downward motion. Make of it what you will. 

I was told the real reason for Goodwins unusual display of emotion was that he lost a multi on points margin.

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

44 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

Today showed how far off being a good coach he is. I'd love a please explain as to why Weideman wasn't in the team when he clearly makes us better. 

You may recall Goody kept Angus Brayshaw out of the side at the commencement of the 2018 season. After concussion concerns in the previous season and an indifferent pre-season for a number of weeks. Seemed to be astute coaching, as Angus returned all cylinders firing and completed that season so well.

Edited by Tarax Club
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Or, on the flip side of that, did he make the right decision in keeping Weideman out of the side until now?  He has come in and really made an impact, which could very well be down to how we have managed him up to this point.

I won't argue that we clearly should have been going with two talls, especially against both Geelong and Richmond, but I think Weid has come in ready to go and some of that has to be down to how the coaches have managed him.

I have been critical of selection but you have to agree that Weed and OMac have come back reborn and have benefited from having to fight for their place. Hopefully, they are both now a constant presence in the side for a long time to come.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

We were about 5 goals when we did that. I immediately said to my missus that was legit the first time I've seen the coach actually show some anger.

I personally loved it!

Me too. Because he was right to be annoyed as we started getting a harlem globetrotter and not taking our chances

Make no mistake percentage will be critical this season.

12 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

The same might be true of Omac

• Like 1

I love watching half the dudes here jumping on and off the train based on weekly results.

A coach showing emotion in the box means nothing. His game plan either works or it doesn't.

The game plan we've played with in the past two games is exactly the same as we've been playing since Goodwin took over. It's a good one when we execute.

Go Dees!

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Dr.D said:

I don't think it was that clear until today.

34 minutes ago, Cheesy D. Pun said:

I love watching half the dudes here jumping on and off the train based on weekly results.

A coach showing emotion in the box means nothing. His game plan either works or it doesn't.

The game plan we've played with in the past two games is exactly the same as we've been playing since Goodwin took over. It's a good one when we execute.

Go Dees!

Not from wear i'm sitting CDP.  Goody has been experimenting with a variation of the rolling zone (loose to tight variants) and the high press (half press and somewhat higher press, no spare out the back, a spare out the back etc) since 666 came in last season.

Since the match against the Cats we moved away from pretty much giving up the front half of the ground in a pretty loose rolling zone (with no spare) from the get go till nearing the end of the 3rd (when the game was pretty much lost), and effectively conceding the match early.  We then moved away from a loose zone in the front half, tightened up, pressured down hard on the man but still lost pretty badly trying to come from too far behind.

Compare this to after the match against the Cats. Mostly playing man on man / or a tight pressure down zone (early on...and staying in the game early) to maintaining a slightly tighter zone once the game opens up (usually much later in the match but we are still in it or in touch).  The exception was the Tigers, where the change to a pressure down style took place early.  We stayed in the match and with them early before their cleaner disposal and better conversion in front (vs the reverse of those for us for much of the match) took its toll after quarter time.

This change up in game style, particularly team defence early, means we have our teeth into the match (or have been) since the get go post the match against the Cats and, in my view, this began to pay dividends from the first quarter against the Tiges and has improved each week since then culminating in today's result.

The replacement of T-Mac with Weid has also seen a big improvement inside 50.  Giving the team a genuine leading target (structure / options coming inside 50, options out the back on occasions with room being created when Weid is dragging his opponent out on the lead) and bringing the ball to ground at the feet of our smalls and small mediums like Hannan & Kozzy a little closer to goal instead of the many shallow entries we were seeing up until the match against the Tigers (but no genuine in form KF to take advantage), along with the return of Harley and some manic tackling inside 50 / return to form from the likes of Hannan.

Langdon and Salem (pushing up through the middle) have also been outstanding (Langdon all season....Salem in the last two matches)  and added some outside run / class that wasn't there last season.  As has Harley of course as he ramps up his game time slowly (75% last two matches vs 50% in his first match).

Hibb's run off HB and the return of a much improved O-Mac (vs last season) has also been a huge help across HB.  Lever has also begun to hit a bit of form.  May in his best form (for us) so far.  Added together, this has taken our back 6 to another level, making us even more difficult to score against.  I would argue our back 6 is now better than what we had in 2018 which augers well going forward.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 11
  • Love 1

37 minutes ago, Cheesy D. Pun said:

Go Dees!

That’s just rubbish and clearly not correct.  There has been a clear change in personnel, structure and game style over the last 3 weeks.  I can also tell you that in a very positive exchange recently between Goodwin & some senior players, the Coach was asked to be “a little harder on the same players making the same mistakes repeatedly”.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

No i don’t name sources 

That is not cool, my info was off the record. It’s not my opinion, i was told information. You can choose to deny it. 

Not denying it, just asking you to back up a claim you made

Are you in contact with those in the Manly Hub or Bartlett or Pert, coz he would only listen to either Richo or those 2, if in fact he has been told at all

Coz if you are not in contact with those 3, you are getting it second hand

Whereas when Chaplin was asked the question, he answered directly to those online

1 minute ago, goodwindees said:

That’s just rubbish and clearly not correct.  There has been a clear change in personnel, structure and game style over the last 3 weeks.  I can also tell you that in a very positive exchange recently between Goodwin & some senior players, the Coach was asked to be “a little harder on the same players making the same mistakes repeatedly”.  

Which contradicts the vision last week where Goodwin said 'I won't be sending messages out 're execution'

1 minute ago, dworship said:

What kind of things?

It was along the lines of, 'well Simon, some of the more over emotive types on Demonland would like you to be a little bit more animated in the box, coz the broadcasters need vision of you going ape****, to give those boring as bat****  commentators and media hacks something to talk about, ok?'

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Satyriconhome said:

It was along the lines of, 'well Simon, some of the more over emotive types on Demonland would like you to be a little bit more animated in the box, coz the broadcasters need vision of you going ape****, to give those boring as bat****  commentators and media hacks something to talk about, ok?'

I don't really expect an answer from SWYL. No doubt it will be Chinese whispers from his media contacts and by definition will be without substance.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Not from wear i'm sitting CDP.  Goody has been experimenting with a variation of the rolling zone (loose to tight variants) and the high press (half press and somewhat higher press, no spare out the back, a spare out the back etc) since 666 came in last season.

Since the match against the Cats we moved away from pretty much giving up the front half of the ground in a pretty loose rolling zone (with no spare) from the get go till nearing the end of the 3rd (when the game was pretty much lost), and effectively conceding the match early.  We then moved away from a loose zone in the front half, tightened up, pressured down hard on the man but still lost pretty badly trying to come from too far behind.

Compare this to after the match against the Cats. Mostly playing man on man / or a tight pressure down zone (early on...and staying in the game early) to maintaining a slightly tighter zone once the game opens up (usually much later in the match but we are still in it or in touch).  The exception was the Tigers, where the change to a pressure down style took place early.  We stayed in the match and with them early before their cleaner disposal and better conversion in front (vs the reverse of those for us for much of the match) took its toll after quarter time.

This change up in game style, particularly team defence early, means we have our teeth into the match (or have been) since the get go post the match against the Cats and, in my view, this began to pay dividends from the first quarter against the Tiges and has improved each week since then culminating in today's result.

The replacement of T-Mac with Weid has also seen a big improvement inside 50.  Giving the team a genuine leading target (structure / options coming inside 50, options out the back on occasions with room being created when Weid is dragging his opponent out on the lead) and bringing the ball to ground at the feet of our smalls and small mediums like Hannan & Kozzy a little closer to goal instead of the many shallow entries we were seeing up until the match against the Tigers (but no genuine in form KF to take advantage), along with the return of Harley and some manic tackling inside 50 / return to form from the likes of Hannan.

Langdon and Salem (pushing up through the middle) have also been outstanding (Langdon all season....Salem in the last two matches)  and added some outside run / class that wasn't there last season.  As has Harley of course as he ramps up his game time slowly (75% last two matches vs 50% in his first match).

Hibb's run off HB and the return of a much improved O-Mac (vs last season) has also been a huge help across HB.  Lever has also begun to hit a bit of form.  May in his best form (for us) so far.  Added together, this has taken our back 6 to another level, making us even more difficult to score against.  I would argue our back 6 is now better than what we had in 2018 which augers well going forward.

Great post Rusty.

I'd add that another change has been playing more tempo footy and being a bit more patient with our ball movement.

We are still looking to pull the trigger though, which makes us an exciting team to watch when it comes together as it has in the last couple of weeks where have scored goals with quick, aggressive ball movement - as we di so often in 2018.

And like 2018 when on we run in waves with 2 or 3 players in a line as the ball sweeps forward as an option for the handball.

The thing that remains the same is the commitment to pressure, tackling and contest out footy. Footy built for finals.

• Like 2