Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: Rd 10 vs GWS Giants

Demonland

R10-Match-Info-Hero.png

Round 10
Melbourne v GWS Giants
Sunday May 26, 1.10pm AEST
MCG

Gates.png

11.00am: MCC Reserve opens

11.30am: AFL and Public Reserve opens

Ticketing.jpg

Members

Members with match access can scan in using their card or Digital Membership in the club app.

General admission

Tickets to the game can be purchased via Ticketek.

Getting-There-Header.jpg

Public transport

Train

There will be planned outages on the Sandringham, Frankston, Sunbury and Werribee line, with buses replacing trains.

Use the PTV Journey Planner to view disruptions and plan your trip to the MCG.

Tram

The MCG is well serviced by trams along Wellington Parade (route 48 + 75) and the Olympic Park light rail (route 70).

Car parking

Parking is available in the Yarra Park precinct:

• Gate 3: 9.00am
  • Gate 5: 11.00am
  • Gate 6: 10.00am
  • Gate 7: 8.30am (pass holders only)

For the latest parking information, visit the MCG website.

Seating-Header.png

General admission seating bays

Great Southern Stand
M1 (Rows A-Z)
M2 (Demon Heartland)
M3-M12
M12 (Rows A-Z DRY)
P5-P7
Q1-Q15

Ponsford Stand
M28-M36
Q29-Q36

Olympic Stand
M53-M54 (Rows A-Z)
M55-M57
Q49-Q57

Please note the general admission areas are subject to change.

Look out for the screens displaying the map of available general admission areas on a match day, located inside each entry gate.

Cheer squad bays

Melbourne: M3 Rows A-T
GWS GIANTS: M33 Rows A-D

Demon-Shop-Header.png

Purchase your 2019 Indigenous Guernsey at the Demon Shop, located on Brunton Avenue.

The shop will be open from 10.30am until 30 minutes after the final siren.

MFC_Indigenous_Assets_940x200.jpg

Broadcast-v2.png

TV times

All broadcast info in local times.

Melbourne: Fox Footy – 1.00pm
Sydney: 7mate + Fox Footy – 1.00pm 
Brisbane: Fox Footy – 1.00pm 
Adelaide: Fox Footy – 12.30pm 
Perth: Fox Footy – 11.00pm 
Tasmania: Fox Footy – 1.00pm 
Canberra: 7mate + Fox Footy – 1.00pm 
Darwin: Fox Footy – 12.30pm 

For all other regions and radio info, refer to the AFL Broadcast Guide.

Online Coverage.png

Mobile app

Live scores, stats and match highlights are available at the tap of a finger in the club's mobile app.

Download it for iOS or Android.

Social media

Match hashtag: #AFLDeesGiants

Follow the club on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for live match coverage and a behind-the-scenes insight into match day.

Casey-Info-Header.png

VFL and VFLW double header

VFLW Round 3
Williamstown v Casey
Sunday May 26, 11.30am
Downer Oval, Point Gellibrand 

VFL Round 8
Williamstown v Casey
Sunday May 26, 2.00pm
Downer Oval, Point Gellibrand 

Admission prices

Melbourne/Casey Demons Members: $5 when you present your card on entry
Adult General Admission: $10
Concession/Pensioner General Admission: $5
Children Under 15: Free

Broadcast

Radio: Casey Radio 3SER 97.7FM will provide play-by-play coverage of both matches from 11.00am

GIANT HEADACHE by The Oracle 

It seems so long ago that Melbourne took an unchanged line up into a game on the MCG against the Greater Western Sydney Giants and cleaned them up to the tune of 45 points. 

In truth, the event occurred literally half a season ago in the final home and away round of the 2018 season and marked the Demons’ return to the finals with more triumphs to come in the weeks ahead. Of course, back then, it was the Giants who were wracked with injuries as they stumbled into the finals series facing their hoodoo on a ground where they rarely play well.

This time, it’s GWS that’s flying while Melbourne is not only licking its injury wounds but seems to be struggling for form at both ends of the ground.

That super attack of last year is simply not performing and, despite having far more opportunities than its opponents virtually on a weekly basis, the team is beating itself by its failure to convert.

At the other end of the ground, the defence is leaking to many goals - the opposition is finding the goals to easily, especially at the business end of things. The last three weeks have seen a total Melbourne score for of 6.10 in the final quarters of its matches against 14.1!

It seems that it’s always left to Max Gawn to dominate the rucks and afford his midfielders like Clayton Oliver, Jack Viney, Angus Brayshaw and James Harmes to get the first use of the ball to even stay close in the tussle - this will naturally be of paramount importance against the Giants on Sunday.

Last week, Melbourne came close to bringing its season back on track but it faltered when the game was on the line. While the Demons showed signs against West Coast they were returning to their exciting 2018 form they couldn’t do it for the full four quarters and their wastefulness in front of goal prevented them from having a big enough lead at the final half to enable them to control matters in the final term.

The dilemma has given Simon Goodwin a giant headache and he has obviously been worrying himself sick trying to work out that something different to give his team the winning edge back. He’s also waiting for that long injury list to go down to manageable levels but relief still appears a few weeks away.

In the meantime, I’m tipping a 9 point win to the Giants.

THE GAME 

Melbourne v GWS Giants at the MCG, Sunday 26 May, 2019 at 1.10pm 

HEAD TO HEAD 

Overall – GWS Giants 5 wins Melbourne 6 wins 

At The MCG – Melbourne 4 wins GWS Giants 1 win 

Past five meetings – Melbourne 3 wins GWS Giants 2 wins 

The Coaches – Goodwin 1 win Cameron 1 win

THE MEDIA 

TV - Fox  Footy Channel, Live at 1.00pm 

RADIO - SEN ABC  

THE LAST TIME THEY MET 

Melbourne 15.12.102 defeated GWS Giants 8.9.57 at the MCG, Round 23, 2018

Melbourne had to win to secure its place in the finals in 12 years thanks to Max Gawn’s ruck dominance and the strong work of the midfield headed by Angus Brayshaw and James Harmes, the Demons broke away with a five goal to zip  third term to romp home by 45 points.

THE TEAMS

MELBOURNE 

B Jay Lockhart Sam Frost Josh Wagner
HB Matt Hore Oscar McDonald Jayden Hunt
C Angus Brayshaw Jack Viney Oskar Baker
HF Nathan Jones Tom McDonald Harry Petty
F Jeff Garlett Tim Smith Christian Petracca
FOLL Max Gawn Christian Salem Clayton Oliver 
I/C Bayley Fritsch James Harmes Billy Stretch Corey Wagner
EMG Jordan Lewis Braydon Preuss Charlie Spargo Sam Weideman

IN Corey Wagner 

OUT Alex Neal-Bullen (concussion)

GWS GIANTS 

B Adam Kennedy Phil Davis Nick Haynes
HB Heath Shaw Sam Taylor Brett Delidio 
C Brent Daniels Harry Perryman Lachie Whitfield 
HF Matt de Boer Harry Himmelberg Toby Greene 
F Jeremy Finlayson Jeremy Cameron Sam J Reid
FOLL Shane Mumford Tim Taranto Josh Kelly
I/C Stephen Coniglio Isaac Cumming Jacob Hopper Adam Tomlinson 
EMG Jackson Hately Lachlan Keeffe Daniel Lloyd Dawson Simpson

IN Stephen Coniglio Isaac Cumming 

OUT Daniel Lloyd (omitted) Zac Williams (hamstring)

Injury List - Round 10

Mitch Hannan (knee) – available
Jay Kennedy Harris (knee) – available
Alex Neal-Bullen (concussion) – test
Christian Salem (concussion) – test
Tim Smith (concu ssion) – test
Charlie Spargo (foot) – test
Sam Weideman (hips) – test
Michael Hibberd (collarbone) – 1-2 weeks
Steven May (groin) – 1-2 weeks
Kade Kolodjashnij (concussion) – 1-2 weeks
Jake Melksham (foot) – 3-4 weeks
Joel Smith (groin) – 4-6 weeks
Aaron vandenBerg (foot) – 4-6 weeks
Neville Jetta (knee) – 7-9 weeks
Guy Walker (shoulder) – indefinit e
Aaron Nietschke (knee) – season

• Thanks 1

Win this and we're well and truly back in the hunt.

The 8th place side (Adel, Port or Freo) could very well be 5-5 while we'd be 4-6.

Makes last week even more frustrating as we could've been nearly 8th if we win this week.

Still, will be a tough assignment with GWS near full strength while we've made no inroads with our injuries, and infact could be worse off with our concussion victims.

Speculation of Lever possibly returning is surely nonsense. 7 possessions after 12 months out of the game would suggest he's not ready.

• Like 1

Go DEES!!   I'm up and about after seeing us play some good footy for the first time this season

hopefully 9 day break is enough for the 3 concussed guys, especially Salem.  GWS's midfield is probably the best in the comp and is on form.  we will need to pressure and tackle and swarm them all day. and our fwd's need to stand up and kick straight!

I'm taking my son for his first game on sunday.  he is pumped. auskick in the morning and then off the the G  ?

• Like 13
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

I'm taking my son for his first game on sunday.  he is pumped. auskick in the morning and then off the the G  ?

Then the boys need to get the job done lest he be scarred for life.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Win this and we're well and truly back in the hunt.

The 8th place side (Adel, Port or Freo) could very well be 5-5 while we'd be 4-6.

Makes last week even more frustrating as we could've been nearly 8th if we win this week.

Still, will be a tough assignment with GWS near full strength while we've made no inroads with our injuries, and infact could be worse off with our concussion victims.

Speculation of Lever possibly returning is surely nonsense. 7 possessions after 12 months out of the game would suggest he's not ready.

Will be very interesting to see how we follow up on last weeks effort.

A win is possible at least.

• Like 1

A win is certainly possible as long as Maxy is on plus Oliver, Gus, Harmes  and Viney play their role we are a good chance. Played well apart from our kicking for goals and some dubious decisions from the maggots against WCE.. 

Due for a big game as we match up well against the GWS and their record at the MCG is poor so hopefully this will help us. Preuss is needed to help out Max and to use as a focal point   up forward.  Let's do the job.

Edited by nosoupforme
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, DubDee said:

Good luck DD.

I have lost my son and now grandsons to this failing club.I however remain strong. Forward we march.

• Like 2

It was heartening seeing us return to the footy that made us great to watch last week. I'm not sure where that was for the first few rounds but it gives me hope that it's still there. 

Scoreboard pressure early is crucial, we were on top for the first 10min last week but failed to make it count, which ended up being the theme for the whole game. If Tom, Trac, and Jeffy can get on the board early, get their confidence up it could be what wins us the game. 

Just on Jeffy, did anyone else feel like there were more glimpses of his old self last week? Hitting the crumbs hard with pace, and looking to be creative, his finishing still isn't quite right but for the first time in a while he looked like a danger. 

• Like 2

GWS, it's one thing beating up on carlton but the week before they could only score 38 points at the G against Hawthorn. If we're on we can beat them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, loges said:

GWS, it's one thing beating up on carlton but the week before they could only score 38 points at the G against Hawthorn. If we're on we can beat them.

Unfortunately loges, we haven't been "on" all season. Even our best game of the week last week saw us turn the ball over more than any other time this year, with more players producing clangers than any other time. And we lost.

This is going to be a low-scoring mess of a game. No doubt we can win this but I just don't see it.

Coniglio is too big of an in for them. I would’ve half rated our chances against a weakened Giants midfield but they’re gonna be far too strong. 

21 hours ago, DubDee said:

Go DEES!!   I'm up and about after seeing us play some good footy for the first time this season

I hope to see the same good footy,   just feel we are about to play the same as last year.    BUT this is surely child cruelty  the start of   or has all that started.. unfulfilled attachment to the Mighty Demons    Sorry could not help myself,   Go Dees   good luck with your boy on Sunday   Cheers

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, 640MD said:

I hope to see the same good footy,   just feel we are about to play the same as last year.    BUT this is surely child cruelty  the start of   or has all that started.. unfulfilled attachment to the Mighty Demons    Sorry could not help myself,   Go Dees   good luck with your boy on Sunday   Cheers

what do you mean cruetly? since he has been interested in the Demons, we have not ever missed finals!!  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, nosoupforme said:

A win is certainly possible as long as Maxy is on plus Oliver, Gus, Harmes  and Viney play their role we are a good chance. Played well apart from our kicking for goals and some dubious decisions from the maggots against WCE.. 

Due for a big game as we match up well against the GWS and their record at the MCG is poor so hopefully this will help us. Preuss is needed to help out Max and to use as a focal point   up forward.  Let's do the job.

It would be nice to think that GWS will utilise their mobile backs covering Preuss and Tracca, and to some extent, TMac who must have more freedom with 'up there' support - freedom to himself be more mobile into space rather than as a sitting bull swatting at flies going past or buzzing his over-manned head. Preuss does not have to stay in position as a deep forward but can assist Maxy in the ruck across the game so that the latter can slip off to the backline for a rest and a few timely marks, intercepts and/or taps to advantage. 

3 hours ago, praha said:

Unfortunately loges, we haven't been "on" all season. Even our best game of the week last week saw us turn the ball over more than any other time this year, with more players producing clangers than any other time. And we lost.

This is going to be a low-scoring mess of a game. No doubt we can win this but I just don't see it.

Have to disagree, as long as we kick straight. If Hawks can beat them easily we certainly must be a big chance.

3 hours ago, praha said:

I'd argue we were painfully close to being "on" vs WCE, the last piece of the puzzle is converting goals and we're back on track 

I received an email for the MFC yesterday saying I can bring a friend for free on Sunday.

They must think the numbers going are going to be low.

Probably because we are playing GWS and our form is ordinary on our best days this year.

No joke with this but I asked a friend if he wanted to go and he said " will you buy lunch and a few beers"?

Hmm rapidly becoming an x friend.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, McQueen said:

Coniglio is too big of an in for them. I would’ve half rated our chances against a weakened Giants midfield but they’re gonna be far too strong. 

Zac Williams is out though.  he is a big out off back back.  Whitfield might have to play HB

4 hours ago, loges said:

Have to disagree, as long as we kick straight. If Hawks can beat them easily we certainly must be a big chance.

Hawthorn played possession footy with good ball use by foot.

We can't play that game style so it's like comparing apples and oranges.

For us to win we have to play on at all costs, quick ball movement and limited turnovers

1 hour ago, old dee said:

I received an email for the MFC yesterday saying I can bring a friend for free on Sunday.

They must think the numbers going are going to be low.

Probably because we are playing GWS and our form is ordinary on our best days this year.

No joke with this but I asked a friend if he wanted to go and he said " will you buy lunch and a few beers"?

Hmm rapidly becoming an x friend.

I got the same

Good PROMO to share on this site, a few tickets could be shared I'm sure (subject to there being any demand)

8 hours ago, loges said:

...and even though they struggle at the 'G', we're not so great there ourselves.

So I wouldn't bank that as being an advantage.

GWS near full strength and us still lite makes for a tough one to win I would think

...but stranger things have happened.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rjay said:

...and even though they struggle at the 'G', we're not so great there ourselves.

So I wouldn't bank that as being an advantage.

GWS near full strength and us still lite makes for a tough one to win I would think

...but stranger things have happened.

They're way better on the outside than us.    It'll be interesting,  to see how we matchup to them...  as they are starting to mature.