• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The 2018 Membership Ladder

Demonland

Seriously how are some of those clubs recording such massive jumps in memberships? Would love to see a breakdown of membership type.

Also, how the frog does St Kilda have more members than us???

Edit: how many games does a full membership get you into? All home only?

Edited by —coach—
  • Like 1

The Bulldogs have paid dearly for their Premiership Hangover.  Down 9.2%!

Hard to see how Carlton and St Kilda have increased by 11.3% and 10.1% respectively. 

This article gives a breakdown of memberships http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-02/thanks-a-million-new-membership-benchmark

Of the 1,008,494 claimed members 456,633 are Full Club members.  Would love to see a breadown of those by Club. 

Our increase of just 4.8% means we are falling further and further behind most other clubs?

While it will undoubtedly help I don't think growing membership will be as simple as winning more games or even just one premiership. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

The full breakdown is:

I would guess the one-game memberships are in the 'Reduced-Access' figures.  I recall reading that Collingwood has a huge i/state and o/s memberships and would be in that category.  Ditto the StKilda $1 memberships.

It is the above figures by club, that Ch7 use to determine the premium time slots so the 500,000+ Non-Full Member figures are really important as they are the ones who stay at home and watch on TV.  And really important for Clubs as that is where the potential for conversion to Full members lies.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 2

It would be interesting to understand the difference in marketing approach and membership package composition between the MFC and its VIC peers to pick apart the big uplift the likes of STK etc have had.

Having a quick look at some of the for-like memberships, the MFC inclusions - for the armchair/digital as a quick example - equivalents are lesser but for more money. Price and inclusions are obviously not the only factor, of course, but they could be a factor.

Does anyone have any insight into the difference in marketing approach? The SKFC, Carlton, EFC and Geelong increases are substantial. SKFC and Carlton especially so.

Edited by -Ⓥ-
  • Like 2

I can think of a few things that might have caused our membership to not increase as much as might be expected. 

Unique items to 2017/2018 and in no particular order of significance:

• the way we missed the finals going down without a whimper in rnd 23.
  • the 'get your finals tickets' campaign fiasco before we made finals.
  • the lack of communication plan from the club for those possibilities
  • the loss of our much loved #4. 
  • restructuring the membership options to 'force' new members into 'packages' eg for reserved seats and GF guarantee.  
  • price increases, especially in the lower categories and of the GF guarantee. 
  • Home MCG games vs not very exciting opponents = questionable value of membership.
  • Time slots of Home games.

Those things won't stop the loyal, die hard demons on this site from buying memberships but there would be more easily disillusioned supporters out there who would react to one or more of the above.

Interestingly, we had massive record attendances at our games in 2017 but for some reason only a very small %'age were converted to memberships. 

As I noted in another thread I'm rapt with the 25% increase in members since the Jackson/Roos era started.  But we cannot continually go backwards relative to other clubs who are also vying for sponsors and broadcast airtime/slots. 

It will be interesting to see what initiatives Pert comes with.  Growing membership will be his biggest challenge and hopefully his major KPI. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

This is from St Kilda's website just now:

1851156152_ScreenShot2018-08-02at9_27_32am.png.78aa915100a0dec687b9df4213376b2e.png

I'm guessing the AFL then adds the AFL members, Auskick members etc. to the memberships sold/reported by each club to reach the AFL wide total of 1,008,494.

Which begs the question why the figure the AFL reports for mfc is the same as that on our website...something isn't adding up...

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

A thought for Gold Coast. 

What will their number look like next year if they lose Lynch             ( highly likely) and May ( possibility)?

Edited by Dee Zephyr

Another stat that fails to tell the real story ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

The Bulldogs have paid dearly for their Premiership Hangover.  Down 9.2%!

Hard to see how Carlton and St Kilda have increased by 11.3% and 10.1% respectively. ? [...]

Yeah, that drop is shattering for the Bulldogs. I know they invested a lot of resources - financial and otherwise - into membership marketing post-2016, in an attempt to capitalise on the flag. I wouldn't be surprised if their numbers dropped again next year.

RE: Carlton and Saints, have a look at what happens to the figures in 2019.

Edited by Rogue
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

The full breakdown is:

image.png.6aaa8d8055c3260214e68b322234e3d5.png

I would guess the one-game memberships are in the 'Reduced-Access' figures.  I recall reading that Collingwood has a huge i/state and o/s memberships and would be in that category.  Ditto the StKilda $1 memberships.

It is the above figures by club, that Ch7 use to determine the premium time slots so the 500,000+ Non-Full Member figures are really important as they are the ones who stay at home and watch on TV.  And really important for Clubs as that is where the potential for conversion to Full members lies.

The perfect recipe to destroy smaller clubs... and then the competition.    More short-sighted visual media execs.

I've been saying for years these numbers are a load of crap, and this data further supports it.

Either report in actual dollars received from memberships or in 11 game equivalents (ie 3.67 x 3 game m/ships = 1 x 11 game m/ship), or just don't bother.

I'm sure a club like St Kilda is boasting about increased member numbers, whereas their membership revenue would be significantly reduced and their crowd numbers are well down on last year.

• Like 2

Just now, poita said:

I've been saying for years these numbers are a load of crap, and this data further supports it.

Either report in actual dollars received from memberships or in 11 game equivalents (ie 3.67 x 3 game m/ships = 1 x 11 game m/ship), or just don't bother.

I'm sure a club like St Kilda is boasting about increased member numbers, whereas their membership revenue would be significantly reduced and their crowd numbers are well down on last year.

Ditto all crap Whorethorn,Pies, Ess = pet memberships/ 3 game memberships love to see the real figures for 11 game memberships.

36 minutes ago, Win4theAges said:

Ditto all crap Whorethorn,Pies, Ess = pet memberships/ 3 game memberships love to see the real figures for 11 game memberships.

You think interstate/international/armchair members should be excluded? They are not insubstantial given the $.

If you had 2000 (of 45,000 or so) paying $80 for a digital membership, it is 160k of membership revenue less the cost of a lanyard, membership card and posting it out to them.

Same logic for interstate/international (with a higher membership fee than non access).

• Like 1