2017 Post Mortem

dieter

I am devastated. After living through the Neeld era and daring to think we were out the other end and making our first finals in 10 years, to only have it ripped away by a) an insipid performance against Collingwood and then b) waiting until the last 3 minutes of the H&A season to know that the last 23 rounds were pointless really hurts. 

Here's the thing - can someone explain leaving out Frost, playing TMac back (when he had been really solid forward) and going with OMac over Frost yesterday? I understand that Pedo was in, I understand Watts was in, so the forward line would have been too top heavy, but I don't get the love for OMac over Frost. Am I missing something - (besides the Frost wants to leave rumours?). 

I am devastated about what could have been. About the fact that the team coped so well with all the bloody injuries - for nothing. I mean for FFS - Gawn, Hogan, Jones, Viney, Watts all out for extended periods of time throughout the year. 

Yes, there was improvement. But I am tired of waiting and people taking the [censored] out the team who still can't beat North. Who are mentally fragile and lose the games the outside football world expect us to win, but all us supporters expect to lose - you know the ones? Like Hawthorn, Freo, North etc etc. 

I am tired of it. And I await the abuse from those of you who think we should support through thick and thin. Of course, I will be back next year like the sucker I am. This team is like a hardcore drug addiction that you know is killing you but you can't quit it. Bloody hurts.

And on another level - we are kidding ourselves if we think this club and this team is an attractive option for out of contract, high profile players from other teams. I will be staggered if Lever or any of the other players we are apparently "into" come to us in the trade period. We are a joke. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Already talked about the disappointment yesterday but did actually watch the replay so now have a perspective both live and from Foxtel and have to say it looked almost identical.

Leadership has been an issue and there was a point in the match where Maynard and a group of magpies went after Oliver over the boundary line, our leadership group all stood around all within 20 metres of it and hardly any of them moved except for Gawn. Yes to Viney as sole captain and surround him with a couple of vice captains who believe in the club, I would go with Gawn and Petracca.

In terms of bad disposal yes we have a lot of ball butchers running around the paddock, the biggest of all on the weekend though hasn't even been mentioned. At one stage he took a free kick and managed to miss Lewis by a good 10 metres and other times he bombed in straight to the opposition, he couldn't hit the side of a barn and that was Gus. 

Others are playing in patches which is impossible to understand but needs closer inspection, take Hannon, clutch goals V St Kilda that turned the game and unbelievable at times in the last quarter yesterday but this is a four quarter game, it is inexcusable that a guy of his talent is going missing for so long in matches, he is a keeper but needs a kick up the arse.

Tmac had a shocker but let's not disregard all of his good matches this year, he has been generally good.

4 minutes ago, Is Dom Is Good said:

I really wish the club didn't send out that email mid week.

So embarrassing!

September is just around the corner. After 11 years, we’re knocking on the door of finals with the chance to be a part of something special. For everyone in the Melbourne family – from the players, the coaches and the officials – we are excited to share this journey with you, our loyal fans and club members. This is as much your moment as it is ours. Months of hard work have brought us to this point and we now need your support more than ever.

- Co-captains, Nathan Jones & Jack Viney
bab2bfb4-44e1-44f3-9364-e2f1d54c8c80.png
7ea1385c-6433-4afe-b941-faa5c5bd6dac.png
eac8f1bb-17a5-48b2-984f-41288c0b344d.png
8fbb8eab-adfc-4009-8264-b8d17517c764.png
f027bfc6-11d3-4454-b647-ada1d5007192.png
As a Melbourne member, you have exclusive access to buy tickets before the general public. This priority period for week 1 matches will be from 9am-1pm Tuesday August 29 (venue local time). For weeks 2 & 3, the priority period will be from 9am-1pm the Monday before each Melbourne match.

Match details for each week will be announced at the completion of the previous week's games. All up-to-date finals ticketing information and links to buy tickets for all matches will be available at afl.com.au/finals.

Tickets from $35*
*Subject to availability. Tickets from $35 at the gate. Online ticket purchases will attract additional ticket agent transaction fees. For weeks 1 and 2 of Toyota AFL Finals Series only. Conditions apply, see afl.com.au for details.
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 2

Just now, Earl Hood said:

Can we at least keep Watts who is about the only bloke I trust with ball in hand. I know he has other issues but yesterday he showed up in the first quarter, while  a dozen others didn't. O Mac is getting better, TMac needs to play forward from now on so we need a key back replacement. Yes we need to trade and draft players who can kick and make decisions, our skill errors yesterday just killed us and me for that matter. 

Is Omac really getting better? Well 'better' at a rate that is acceptable. That dinky kick from him in the 3rd directly to the opposition was the exact moment my wife and I left yesterday. It was inexcusable. I dont want to single out individual players, but he exemplifies the standard we set. Its not good enough.

Hibbo had a shocker yesterday, but he should be the bech mark for our defense. Him and Jetta are really the only ones that can say they had a consistent year.

1 minute ago, lucifer said:

I am devastated. After living through the Neeld era and daring to think we were out the other end and making our first finals in 10 years, to only have it ripped away by a) an insipid performance against Collingwood and then b) waiting until the last 3 minutes of the H&A season to know that the last 23 rounds were pointless really hurts. 

Here's the thing - can someone explain leaving out Frost, playing TMac back (when he had been really solid forward) and going with OMac over Frost yesterday? I understand that Pedo was in, I understand Watts was in, so the forward line would have been too top heavy, but I don't get the love for OMac over Frost. Am I missing something - (besides the Frost wants to leave rumours?). 

I am devastated about what could have been. About the fact that the team coped so well with all the bloody injuries - for nothing. I mean for FFS - Gawn, Hogan, Jones, Viney, Watts all out for extended periods of time throughout the year. 

Yes, there was improvement. But I am tired of waiting and people taking the [censored] out the team who still can't beat North. Who are mentally fragile and lose the games the outside football world expect us to win, but all us supporters expect to lose - you know the ones? Like Hawthorn, Freo, North etc etc. 

I am tired of it. And I await the abuse from those of you who think we should support through thick and thin. Of course, I will be back next year like the sucker I am. This team is like a hardcore drug addiction that you know is killing you but you can't quit it. Bloody hurts.

And on another level - we are kidding ourselves if we think this club and this team is an attractive option for out of contract, high profile players from other teams. I will be staggered if Lever or any of the other players we are apparently "into" come to us in the trade period. We are a joke. 

I can't understand the toying with selection.  If Watts isn't a good fit, keep him out. It made as much sense to drop him as to bring him back. 

49 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

the issue isnt the list. Its the mental application that is hot some weeks and cold the next. Spend the off season understanding why and then fix it.

All clubs have a list issue. The mental side is part of it.

We have a list issue and the mental side to go with it...more on this if/when I can be bothered.

3 minutes ago, america de cali said:
September is just around the corner. After 11 years, we’re knocking on the door of finals with the chance to be a part of something special. For everyone in the Melbourne family – from the players, the coaches and the officials – we are excited to share this journey with you, our loyal fans and club members. This is as much your moment as it is ours. Months of hard work have brought us to this point and we now need your support more than ever.

- Co-captains, Nathan Jones & Jack Viney
bab2bfb4-44e1-44f3-9364-e2f1d54c8c80.png
7ea1385c-6433-4afe-b941-faa5c5bd6dac.png
eac8f1bb-17a5-48b2-984f-41288c0b344d.png
8fbb8eab-adfc-4009-8264-b8d17517c764.png
f027bfc6-11d3-4454-b647-ada1d5007192.png
As a Melbourne member, you have exclusive access to buy tickets before the general public. This priority period for week 1 matches will be from 9am-1pm Tuesday August 29 (venue local time). For weeks 2 & 3, the priority period will be from 9am-1pm the Monday before each Melbourne match.

Match details for each week will be announced at the completion of the previous week's games. All up-to-date finals ticketing information and links to buy tickets for all matches will be available at afl.com.au/finals.

Tickets from $35*
*Subject to availability. Tickets from $35 at the gate. Online ticket purchases will attract additional ticket agent transaction fees. For weeks 1 and 2 of Toyota AFL Finals Series only. Conditions apply, see afl.com.au for details.

Yep, no Melbourne logo when you click the play button.

I left this bit out. Absolutely sick.

THE FINALS
Edited by america de cali
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

Positives to be taken out of this.

1. I'll be removing the sports package on Foxtel tomorrow so that'll save me some money.
  2. We just moved two places up the draft order
  3. I truely believe that the faster a team moves up the ladder (Port 2013/14, Bulldogs last year) the quicker they drop back down. Am happy to steadily improve as we seem to be. 

Sorry, that's all I got.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Earl Hood said:

Can we at least keep Watts who is about the only bloke I trust with ball in hand. I know he has other issues but yesterday he showed up in the first quarter, while  a dozen others didn't. O Mac is getting better, TMac needs to play forward from now on so we need a key back replacement. Yes we need to trade and draft players who can kick and make decisions, our skill errors yesterday just killed us and me for that matter. 

I see where you're coming from Earl, but Watts has been a three or four million dollar investment with a 300K return. I'd cut our losses now while he has some currency. He stood up in the first quarter but in the next two did nothing. A well skilled but not an instinctive footballer.

OMac has definitely improved but is far too laconic/slow for my liking. Would like him to have a nasty streak too. Has currency.

TMac I would use as part of Lever trade.

3 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

The completion will only be even more even next year, we cannot simply assume we will improve.

It's really important to remember this. We are not on an Island as an improving football team. I saw a lot of sides look better this year, to assume the clubs under us on the ladder will be down there again is just foolish.

1 minute ago, mrtwister said:

Positives to be taken out of this.

1. I'll be removing the sports package on Foxtel tomorrow so that'll save me some money.
  2. We just moved two places up the draft order
  3. I truely believe that the faster a team moves up the ladder (Port 2013/14, Bulldogs last year) the quicker they drop back down. Am happy to steadily improve as we seem to be. 

Sorry, that's all I got.

For what it's worth, no.3 is a pretty good point.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

Why is Watts crucified for poor games when Vince sits back in defence each week doing [censored] all and doesn't have to be rejuvenated at Casey

• Like 2

Post Mortem:

How about we do a bit a 'compliment sandwich'...

Amazing wins against Crows, Bombers, WBs, and WCE all away from home.

Unforgivable losses against Freo, Haw, and NM (x2)

Goodwins exciting gameplan

Goodwins baffling blunders in windy conditions (NM and GWS)

Aggression all year at the ball and man

Suspensions to key players that cost us wins (and percentage? Ooooh, too soon?)

The greatness of Oliver, Jetta, and Hibberd

The development of ANB and Oscar McD 

The patchiness of Tyson, Harmes, Pedersen, Hannan, Petracca, Melksham, Lewis, Bugg, Garlett, Tom McD, and Hunt

The stalling of Salem, Watts, Gawn, Brayshaw, Stretch, Kent, Frost, Weideman and JKH

The decline of Vince

The injuries to Garland, VDB, Jones, Hogan, Viney

The existence on the list of Wagner, White, Kennedy, Spencer, King, Hulett

These are the things that come to mind to explain why we have failed once again; failed when we shouldn't have.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Biffen said:

Jack Watts can shoulder the blame for all of it.

WHY ?????

Yesterday he was one of our few good playersa in the 1st Q

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, america de cali said:

I left this bit out. Absolutely sick.

THE FINALS

Insane.

The club is still run by morons.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rpfc said:

Post Mortem:

How about we do a bit a 'compliment sandwich'...

Amazing wins against Crows, Bombers, WBs, and WCE all away from home.

Unforgivable losses against Freo, Haw, and NM (x2)

Goodwins exciting gameplan

Goodwins baffling blunders in windy conditions (NM and GWS)

Aggression all year at the ball and man

Suspensions to key players that cost us wins (and percentage? Ooooh, too soon?)

The greatness of Oliver, Jetta, and Hibberd

The development of ANB and Oscar McD 

The patchiness of Tyson, Harmes, Pedersen, Hannan, Petracca, Melksham, Lewis, Bugg, Garlett, Tom McD, and Hunt

The stalling of Salem, Watts, Gawn, Brayshaw, Stretch, Kent, Frost, Weideman and JKH

The decline of Vince

The injuries to Garland, VDB, Jones, Hogan, Viney

The existence on the list of Wagner, White, Kennedy, Spencer, King, Hulett

These are the things that come to mind to explain why we have failed once again; failed when we shouldn't have.

Fair summary.

I would just add the overall complacency of our players.

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

8 minutes ago, lucifer said:

I am with you on OMac, there is no way anyone can convince me he is any good.  If we do get Lever next year, he should be at Casey for the majority of the season and only come in as depth player.