dieter

2017 Post Mortem

Has anyone put any thought into the absolute mauling we've managed to avoid? Hogan hamstring means Weed would have played.

We might have broken records.

2 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Of the 10 games we lost this year, 5 were to teams in the bottom 7.

The season in a nutshell.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SaberFang said:

We missed finals because we were regularly caught napping in the last 30 seconds of quarters.

Very good point. This happened a heck of a lot of times, when will we have that Roos influenced disciplined well drilled side?

• Angry 1

1 hour ago, america de cali said:
September is just around the corner. After 11 years, we’re knocking on the door of finals with the chance to be a part of something special. For everyone in the Melbourne family – from the players, the coaches and the officials – we are excited to share this journey with you, our loyal fans and club members. This is as much your moment as it is ours. Months of hard work have brought us to this point and we now need your support more than ever.

- Co-captains, Nathan Jones & Jack Viney
bab2bfb4-44e1-44f3-9364-e2f1d54c8c80.png
7ea1385c-6433-4afe-b941-faa5c5bd6dac.png
eac8f1bb-17a5-48b2-984f-41288c0b344d.png
8fbb8eab-adfc-4009-8264-b8d17517c764.png
f027bfc6-11d3-4454-b647-ada1d5007192.png
As a Melbourne member, you have exclusive access to buy tickets before the general public. This priority period for week 1 matches will be from 9am-1pm Tuesday August 29 (venue local time). For weeks 2 & 3, the priority period will be from 9am-1pm the Monday before each Melbourne match.

Match details for each week will be announced at the completion of the previous week's games. All up-to-date finals ticketing information and links to buy tickets for all matches will be available at afl.com.au/finals.

Tickets from $35*
*Subject to availability. Tickets from $35 at the gate. Online ticket purchases will attract additional ticket agent transaction fees. For weeks 1 and 2 of Toyota AFL Finals Series only. Conditions apply, see afl.com.au for details.

F$&@k whoever sent that out last week must be RETRENCHED TOMORROW!!!

• Like 3

Massive massive fail, I hope the players get totaled on mad Monday and spew Bile! 

What a are a wretched club! I'm over it!

we seriously lack depth, having said that we have often been our own worst enemies in games, kicking it directly to the opposition, fumbling, failing to lay tackles, giving away dumb free kicks and 50 meters, etc.. If we could improve our skills and kicking/marking and tacking efficiency, i would suggest we would win a lot more games than we currently do. Turnover costs us biggly all year. maybe a lot more effort has to focus on our skills, and training under greater pressure so that players get use to it.

12 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

F$&@k whoever sent that out last week must be RETRENCHED TOMORROW!!!

In my moment of anger I emailed back to the club and said maybe wait until finals are confirmed before you send out this crap. Then wrote something along the lines I hope the players are happy they wasted another season. 

I know the  person who will probably read it isnt responsible but someone chose to email that out. Surely PJ wouldnt have approved it. It's something Schwab would have done. 

I suspect the club may get a few emails and phone calls tomorrow. 

Port - 10-0 (100%)

St Kilda - 8-0 (100%)

Richmond - 9-1 (90%)

Geelong - 8-2 (80%)

WB - 7-2 (77.78%)

Essendon - 8-3 (72.72%)

GWS - 5-1-1 (71.42%)

Adelaide - 5-1-2 (62.5%)

WC - 5-3 (62.5%)

Sydney - 5-4 (55.56%)

Melbourne - 5-5 (50%)

That's the record of the top 11 against the bottom 7.

We're the only club not to be in the positive, and only Sydney is close to us on W-L.

Also of note is how easy Essendon's fixture was (the maximum number of games playable against the bottom 7 is 12, assuming all 5 of your repeat games are against them. Essendon had 11 games against them. Compare that to GWS who only had the minimum, 7 (meaning all 5 of GWS' repeat games were against the top 11).

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Angry 1

I like how Richmond now beats teams they are meant to. Wonder if we can learn something from them somehow

• Like 2

1 minute ago, layzie said:

I like how Richmond now beats teams they are meant to. Wonder if we can learn something from them somehow

This. All the anti-Richmond angst around Demonland is tiring. This year they had to put up or shut up.

And guess what? They put up. Well done to them. More than I can say for our heartless mob.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

Has anyone put any thought into the absolute mauling we've managed to avoid? Hogan hamstring means Weed would have played.

We might have broken records.

Yeah because Hogan was having such a huge impact on the game before he went off.  Buddy Franklin he ain't !

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

The unpredictability and pace of Frost was badly missed yesterday. He would have run off some of the slower big men of Collingwood and sent us forward instead of the panicked handballs or dinky kicks, that ended up as turnovers, close to their goal.

I think it was a mistake not playing him in the last two games.

100% agree. 

There were lots of baffling selections or non-selections throughout the year. 

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

It was Pies fans.

Correct. Booed him because of his goal on QBD and his post game celebration in front of them. Joffa hates him because of that.

9 minutes ago, Sydee said:

Yeah because Hogan was having such a huge impact on the game before he went off.  Buddy Franklin he ain't !

He went off after a quarter. What did you expect? You think he couldn't have still kicked a bag?

So that's the requirement now? They all have to be Buddy?

Fair dinkum. He kicked 6 last week with almost no preparation. He'd have made a huge difference.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, frankie_d said:

I agree completely. Viney plays the last 2 weeks - we play finals.

Our kids are fine - Trac, Gus, Oliver, ANB, Hannan, Hunt. Even Wagner, Strech. They're just talented kids.

Our leaders (excluding Viney) are poor .  Jones - love him, but cant seem to inspire. Vince - nuff said. Lewis - useful organiser, but not a leader. Tmac - should be, isn't. Pelo - doing his best. Hibberd - great, but not a leader at the moment. Nev - wonderful, but not a leader.

That's the issue, and the answer is Viney. 

Get fit, kid!

Max - can't lead from in front of the camera.

Handing out 'fines' on Game Day and dishing up fairly obvious zingers on the Footy Show does not a leader maketh

Edited by the rolling fog

If Goodwin didn't mention that finals was on the line and just talked the players through their normal routines and OM before the game, then that's baffling and a crucial mistake which would be attributed to the horrible first qtr.  

• Like 2

I'm actually getting more annoyed the more I think of Mad Monday tomorrow. Could they not just delay this and maybe stew over what has happened some more?

• Angry 1

well realistically the whole team deserved to be booed not just watts. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. k!!!!! 

the healing process might take a while for me... ergh 

Settle down Dappa - just stating facts no need to tee off at me - we had plenty of passengers for the first 30 mins - you can't argue with that 

18 minutes ago, layzie said:

Max could learn a thing or two from Jack Riewoldt's self imposed media ban

It's infuriating to me that players are probably texting each other right now sorting out plans for Mad Monday, while the rest of us plebs go back to the usual Monday slog at work.

• Like 1

Just now, SaberFang said:

It's infuriating to me that players are probably texting each other right now sorting out plans for Mad Monday, while the rest of us plebs go back to the usual Monday slog at work.

5 minutes ago, layzie said:

I'm actually getting more annoyed the more I think of Mad Monday tomorrow. Could they not just delay this and maybe stew over what has happened some more?

If Peter Jackson does not call every single player and coaching staff member in for some soul searching and finger pointing tomorrow I'll be filthy! 

• Like 1

Not sure any team has missed the finals by a smaller margin in terms of percentage - 10, 11 points?

Another forgettable record which we'll no doubt hold for yonks.

In a lot of ways this was the opposite of '87 ... back then we had to beat another contender to give ourselves a chance and we needed another result to go our way (Hawks defeating another contender (Geelong) to  pave the way)

This time around we needed only one of 3 things to go in our favour and not one of those 3 happenings occurred.  And you just knew it was going to happen that way too.

We're going to have to wear this one for a while ... but hope springs eternal.  A boom recruit or 2 will brighten things up.

Bring on the off-season!

• Like 2