Jump to content

dieter

2017 Post Mortem

Recommended Posts

Listening to SEN at the moment because I'm a gluton for punishment, and there's talk suggesting MFC supporters were booing Watts yesterday.

I didn't pick up on this, albeit in the member's - anyone else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, P-man said:

I hope they feel foolish. They blew it. Completely blew it.

There is no excusing that first quarter effort yesterday.

That probably sums it up as to the position we were in.

Granted we had a difficult year with a fairly tough fixture, 4 games in 18 days with interstate trips a prime example, a poor injury run, the worst suspension games loss in the AFL, an unbelievably shocking personal year for our ff and some narrow defeats and yet it came down to our last game. Let's examine that.

Aside from our co-captain, we had our strongest side in for the year, against a side missing 8 of their best players and playing for nothing but pride.

Playing on the G on a nice day, we needed to come with the strongest intensity we could muster, to show the Pies this game was ours.

We all know we are not a highly skilled side, actually ranked 16th for disposal efficiency in the AFL.

Our big weapon has been our desire and effort as we don't have the skill to dominate sides generally.

So what happens, in the first quarter we don't turn up. No tackles for 11 minutes and only 2 in the first 20. A lack of run to create space. One armed, half hearted attempts to tackle. A complete absence of pressure on the opposition. Then combine that with wilting disposal under pressure, which will always happen to a side that is poor in disposal in the first place and you have a flying start to the opposition, a 5 goal deficit and a real belief in the opposition that they have us. We did the same in the Hawthorn game. What did we learn, absolutely nothing. I don't want to hear that is a learning experience, as only idiots make the same mistakes more than once. To hear a player say we didn't apply pressure, in a do or die game, is just mind boggling. They are meant to be professional sportsmen, what is professional about that?

As P-Man said above, there is absolutely no excuse for that lack of effort in the first quarter. Forget the year, our finals were there for the taking against an undermanned, no incentive, youthful and inexperienced Pies side. I repeat there was no excuse for that, it just shouldn't have happened.

The players and to a lesser extent Coaches must share blame for allowing this to happen. NO EXCUSES. we were playing for our first finals in 11 years.

It tells me one thing for certain, some of the personnel must go.

Train harder, learn to tackle, get fitter, change the game plan, stop the handball at all costs game, whatever, but accept that some of those involved should not have another chance, they have lost the right. 

We need to accept that we aren't good enough and the list must be changed to improve. We have turnover experts who get possessions but kill us every week. The hard decisions must be made, these guys won't change. We have non tacklers and guys who refuse to apply pressure. This can't be tolerated if we expect to improve.

I hope missing the finals burns in the players guts, like it burns in ours.

 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, the rolling fog said:

Listening to SEN at the moment because I'm a gluton for punishment, and there's talk suggesting MFC supporters were booing Watts yesterday.

I didn't pick up on this, albeit in the member's - anyone else?

Im pretty sure it was the pies fans. I would be disappointed if it was melbourne fans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

What we needed in 2017 was for it to be 2018. And people have been saying it all year. The kids are just kids. Nothing to worry about. We'd still be the envy of most lists.

I see our list development being behind the Bulldogs by about 12-18 months.  They went backwards this year, but maybe being the hunted rather than the hunter had something to do with that.  I was hoping we'd make eighth and try to replicate what they did last year starting with Port, but to be honest it would have been difficult given how poorly we were playing.

I can't remember who it was, but there was a theory that we'd hit the wall at the back end of the season the way we did last year due to the fatigue of our list and that's clearly the way its looked.  There's also no doubt that we are still mentally not consistent enough, but I actually think that's been the product of the season as well.  Certainly I think for the first half of the year we improved massively on previous years, in terms of intensity and pressure. The second half of the year was far more patchy and similar to the past couple of seasons.  Injuries also helped rob us of a lot of momentum as well.

 I think Goodwin was certainly treating the year as a development year and clearly players like Weideman and O Mac have been gifted games to get senior experience into them. Unlike others I think both are tracking relatively well considering their age and positions. I see Petracca, Hogan and Oliver and I see elite talent.  We also have a core of younger players to support them.  

It would have been nice for Jones to have another shot at finals this year, but overall in terms of the ultimate prize it doesn't hurt to reinforce the playing group the consequence for not being 'switched on' in those crucial matches.

I think with a better run of injuries to our better players and a more favourable draw that if we continue the same rate of improvements that we have been, then next year will see a much more consistent year.

That doesn't mean that we don't have deficiencies to address.  Firstly in terms of outside run and secondly in defence.  Hopefully DE% will improve with further experience and practice with the game plan.  

Goodwin is all about competitiveness so I would expect some trades for those that don't measure up. 

In terms of the fixture for next year I hope we get North and Hawthorn in the first couple of rounds. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, the rolling fog said:

Listening to SEN at the moment because I'm a gluton for punishment, and there's talk suggesting MFC supporters were booing Watts yesterday.

I didn't pick up on this, albeit in the member's - anyone else?

WTF? It was the Pies fans booing I thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, JV7 said:

Give me the Neeld years back.. At least their was no crushing blows like this...

Yep, that's where I'm currently at

No way. Bailey years perhaps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This from the AFL website:

'How can the team that goes on the road and flogs Adelaide and beat West Coast turn up its toes twice against North Melbourne and then barely lay a tackle in the opening quarter against Collingwood on Saturday with it all to play for? That's the first question Simon Goodwin will address this off-season and there would seem to be no obvious answer.'

Exactly my thoughts.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, the rolling fog said:

Listening to SEN at the moment because I'm a gluton for punishment, and there's talk suggesting MFC supporters were booing Watts yesterday.

I didn't pick up on this, albeit in the member's - anyone else?

It was Collingwood supporters. The booing was coming from around their cheer squad area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, the rolling fog said:

Listening to SEN at the moment because I'm a gluton for punishment, and there's talk suggesting MFC supporters were booing Watts yesterday.

I didn't pick up on this, albeit in the member's - anyone else?

I thought it was all Collingwood fans, but the volume of it made me believe there was some incident in-game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About a third in, we were looking pretty irresistible with clearances and handballing forward.  Then we choked as expected.

The first part is the easy part.

Trade Watts - he consumes too much of the club's attention and is difficult to keep out as a number 1 pick.  Kennedy, old man Trengrove, KH all perform better at VFL.  If contractually (or otherwise) entitled to be picked, he should tried at CHB where we could drool at kicks I50.

Trade Bugg.  Troublesome and still has currency.

Offer and then delist if required Vince, King, Spencer, Lewis, Kent, Hulett, Garland, Trengrove

Rookie a ruckman from Box Hill.  That is where we got our good ones from.

Only recruit KPP's over 195 cm.  Hullett, Smith, Smith, Kielty are unlikely.

The second part is harder being an apology from the Board that we did not reach our full potential.  An acknowledgement from the football department that they were gooses in picking players which they could not trust.  The players don't gate-crash. They are picked without immaculate disposal in the VFL and reasonable in the AFL.  They are picked while not running to contests in either.

Revelations --

Hannan - looked good when filling in in the midfield

TMac up forward

Hunt

Rubbed our noses in it - 

Kent

Don't give up yet - OMac, Frost, Wagner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Je Roos Salem said:

No way. Bailey years perhaps.

Nah we had some potential in those years... I just want to be bottom of the barrel again when their were no expectations & no let downs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

Im pretty sure it was the pies fans. I would be disappointed if it was melbourne fans. 

It was Pies fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ding said:

Goodwin will probably not win a premiership with MFC, He has no idea how to motivate a team to perform against opposition it SHOULD put to the sword. So far he has been a huge mistake.

Give me Northey or Danners any day of the week.

 

 

Why do these players need motivation? It is obvious isn't it? But they do they need direction. That should be Goodwins only job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, america de cali said:

It was Collingwood supporters. The booing was coming from around their cheer squad area.

For them to suggest it was Melbourne fans is a little insulting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, grazman said:

I see our list development being behind the Bulldogs by about 12-18 months.  

Good post.

While I agree with that, that sort of is a given. They won a flag last year and their mature players are the core... It's not like they were the Saints... bottomed out at the same time as us and climbed quickly. They've got some list structure questions to sort out, but will be better in 3 years than they are now or were last year. Them leapfrogging us next year wouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

But yes to everything else. The important bits and pieces are all there. And many more besides. Would you call Hibberd, Hunt, Lewis, Melksham, Frost, Jetta, Garlett, Harmes core? Possibly not. But all have done good things. Most would be walk up starts at all the other clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JV7 said:

Nah we had some potential in those years... I just want to be bottom of the barrel again when their were no expectations & no let downs

And absolutely no one turned up for games and we were a laughing stock. We had potential but low expectation and more attractive football

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our list is nowhere near good enough to be a true contender.  I'm not sure that we're much better or worse than about 10 clubs who occupy the guts of the ladder.  We could regress unless we greatly improve the list.

So, improve the list and we'll win more games.

You can't turn the proverbial into strawberry jam and we've got too many players on our list who are simply not good enough.  We lack height down back and in the forward line - it is a glaring weakness and it needs to be addressed pronto.  We also need another a decent back-up ruckman and players who possess real pace. 

We are too slow and we've been found out too many times when we're not on our game.  On top of that we had about 8 players who had average (or worse) season's.  Tyson,  Gawn,  Viney,  Watts,  Garlett,  Hogan,  Vince & Salem. In terms of consistent good performances,  not one of those 8 players did enough (in terms of expectations)  Injuries played a part of course but I'm more talking about actual outcomes.

The club needs to get to work on the list.  I'd be astonished if Goodwin & co didn't see things the same way. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can only imagine what the like of David Schwarz and Garry Lyon will say on there show tomorrow.

I think tomorrow will be all about Melbourne. 

The thing is I look at the top 8 and think who would I want to see win it. There is really no one. 

May as well give the brownlow to Dusty now and cancel brownlow night to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mike said:

This from the AFL website:

'How can the team that goes on the road and flogs Adelaide and beat West Coast turn up its toes twice against North Melbourne and then barely lay a tackle in the opening quarter against Collingwood on Saturday with it all to play for? That's the first question Simon Goodwin will address this off-season and there would seem to be no obvious answer.'

Exactly my thoughts.

 

Ill tell u where I'm at, at the risk of saying I have an ex association with the club!

We need to trade aggressively and get blokes that bleed MFC BLOOD!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

Good post.

While I agree with that, that sort of is a given. They won a flag last year and their mature players are the core... It's not like they were the Saints... bottomed out at the same time as us and climbed quickly. They've got some list structure questions to sort out, but will be better in 3 years than they are now or were last year. Them leapfrogging us next year wouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

But yes to everything else. The important bits and pieces are all there. And many more besides. Would you call Hibberd, Hunt, Lewis, Melksham, Frost, Jetta, Garlett, Harmes core? Possibly not. But all have done good things. Most would be walk up starts at all the other clubs.

The unpredictability and pace of Frost was badly missed yesterday. He would have run off some of the slower big men of Collingwood and sent us forward instead of the panicked handballs or dinky kicks, that ended up as turnovers, close to their goal.

I think it was a mistake not playing him in the last two games.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, steve_f said:

Offer and then delist if required Vince, King, Spencer, Lewis,

I stopped reading right there.

Stupidest post I've read on here in a while.

Fair dinkum. I know everyone is upset. But you don't go blind when you're upset.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Macca said:

Our list is nowhere near good enough to be a true contender.  I'm not sure that we're much better or worse than about 10 clubs who occupy the guts of the ladder.  We could regress unless we greatly improve the list.

So, improve the list and we'll win more games.

You can't turn the proverbial into strawberry jam and we've got too many players on our list who are simply not good enough.  We lack height down back and in the forward line - it is a glaring weakness and it needs to be addressed pronto.  We also need another a decent back-up ruckman and players who possess real pace. 

We are too slow and we've been found out too many times when we're not on our game.  On top of that we had about 8 players who had average (or worse) season's.  Tyson,  Gawn,  Viney,  Watts,  Garlett,  Hogan,  Vince & Salem. In terms of consistent good performances,  not one of those 8 players did enough (in terms of expectations)  Injuries played a part of course but I'm more talking about actual outcomes.

The club needs to get to work on the list.  I'd be astonished if Goodwin & co didn't see things the same way. 

Improve the list, but far from an overhaul please. The players need to know each other and care, we can't just keep replacing them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, steve_f said:

About a third in, we were looking pretty irresistible with clearances and handballing forward.  Then we choked as expected.

The first part is the easy part.

Trade Watts - he consumes too much of the club's attention and is difficult to keep out as a number 1 pick.  Kennedy, old man Trengrove, KH all perform better at VFL.  If contractually (or otherwise) entitled to be picked, he should tried at CHB where we could drool at kicks I50.

Trade Bugg.  Troublesome and still has currency.

Offer and then delist if required Vince, King, Spencer, Lewis, Kent, Hulett, Garland, Trengrove

Rookie a ruckman from Box Hill.  That is where we got our good ones from.

Only recruit KPP's over 195 cm.  Hullett, Smith, Smith, Kielty are unlikely.

The second part is harder being an apology from the Board that we did not reach our full potential.  An acknowledgement from the football department that they were gooses in picking players which they could not trust.  The players don't gate-crash. They are picked without immaculate disposal in the VFL and reasonable in the AFL.  They are picked while not running to contests in either.

Revelations --

Hannan - looked good when filling in in the midfield

TMac up forward

Hunt

Rubbed our noses in it - 

Kent

Don't give up yet - OMac, Frost, Wagner

Nar package Both Mc Donalds they are no good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...