Jump to content

  • Podcast: Grand Final Preview      

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview & Grand Final Preview      

2017 Post Mortem


dieter
 Share


Recommended Posts

I am devastated. After living through the Neeld era and daring to think we were out the other end and making our first finals in 10 years, to only have it ripped away by a) an insipid performance against Collingwood and then b) waiting until the last 3 minutes of the H&A season to know that the last 23 rounds were pointless really hurts. 

Here's the thing - can someone explain leaving out Frost, playing TMac back (when he had been really solid forward) and going with OMac over Frost yesterday? I understand that Pedo was in, I understand Watts was in, so the forward line would have been too top heavy, but I don't get the love for OMac over Frost. Am I missing something - (besides the Frost wants to leave rumours?). 

I am devastated about what could have been. About the fact that the team coped so well with all the bloody injuries - for nothing. I mean for FFS - Gawn, Hogan, Jones, Viney, Watts all out for extended periods of time throughout the year. 

Yes, there was improvement. But I am tired of waiting and people taking the [censored] out the team who still can't beat North. Who are mentally fragile and lose the games the outside football world expect us to win, but all us supporters expect to lose - you know the ones? Like Hawthorn, Freo, North etc etc. 

I am tired of it. And I await the abuse from those of you who think we should support through thick and thin. Of course, I will be back next year like the sucker I am. This team is like a hardcore drug addiction that you know is killing you but you can't quit it. Bloody hurts.

And on another level - we are kidding ourselves if we think this club and this team is an attractive option for out of contract, high profile players from other teams. I will be staggered if Lever or any of the other players we are apparently "into" come to us in the trade period. We are a joke. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Already talked about the disappointment yesterday but did actually watch the replay so now have a perspective both live and from Foxtel and have to say it looked almost identical.

Leadership has been an issue and there was a point in the match where Maynard and a group of magpies went after Oliver over the boundary line, our leadership group all stood around all within 20 metres of it and hardly any of them moved except for Gawn. Yes to Viney as sole captain and surround him with a couple of vice captains who believe in the club, I would go with Gawn and Petracca.

In terms of bad disposal yes we have a lot of ball butchers running around the paddock, the biggest of all on the weekend though hasn't even been mentioned. At one stage he took a free kick and managed to miss Lewis by a good 10 metres and other times he bombed in straight to the opposition, he couldn't hit the side of a barn and that was Gus. 

Others are playing in patches which is impossible to understand but needs closer inspection, take Hannon, clutch goals V St Kilda that turned the game and unbelievable at times in the last quarter yesterday but this is a four quarter game, it is inexcusable that a guy of his talent is going missing for so long in matches, he is a keeper but needs a kick up the arse.

Tmac had a shocker but let's not disregard all of his good matches this year, he has been generally good.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 minutes ago, Is Dom Is Good said:

I really wish the club didn't send out that email mid week.

So embarrassing!

September is just around the corner. After 11 years, we’re knocking on the door of finals with the chance to be a part of something special. For everyone in the Melbourne family – from the players, the coaches and the officials – we are excited to share this journey with you, our loyal fans and club members. This is as much your moment as it is ours. Months of hard work have brought us to this point and we now need your support more than ever.

- Co-captains, Nathan Jones & Jack Viney
bab2bfb4-44e1-44f3-9364-e2f1d54c8c80.png
7ea1385c-6433-4afe-b941-faa5c5bd6dac.png
eac8f1bb-17a5-48b2-984f-41288c0b344d.png
8fbb8eab-adfc-4009-8264-b8d17517c764.png
f027bfc6-11d3-4454-b647-ada1d5007192.png
As a Melbourne member, you have exclusive access to buy tickets before the general public. This priority period for week 1 matches will be from 9am-1pm Tuesday August 29 (venue local time). For weeks 2 & 3, the priority period will be from 9am-1pm the Monday before each Melbourne match.
 
Match details for each week will be announced at the completion of the previous week's games. All up-to-date finals ticketing information and links to buy tickets for all matches will be available at afl.com.au/finals.
 
Tickets from $35*
*Subject to availability. Tickets from $35 at the gate. Online ticket purchases will attract additional ticket agent transaction fees. For weeks 1 and 2 of Toyota AFL Finals Series only. Conditions apply, see afl.com.au for details.
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Earl Hood said:

Can we at least keep Watts who is about the only bloke I trust with ball in hand. I know he has other issues but yesterday he showed up in the first quarter, while  a dozen others didn't. O Mac is getting better, TMac needs to play forward from now on so we need a key back replacement. Yes we need to trade and draft players who can kick and make decisions, our skill errors yesterday just killed us and me for that matter. 

Is Omac really getting better? Well 'better' at a rate that is acceptable. That dinky kick from him in the 3rd directly to the opposition was the exact moment my wife and I left yesterday. It was inexcusable. I dont want to single out individual players, but he exemplifies the standard we set. Its not good enough.

Hibbo had a shocker yesterday, but he should be the bech mark for our defense. Him and Jetta are really the only ones that can say they had a consistent year.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, lucifer said:

I am devastated. After living through the Neeld era and daring to think we were out the other end and making our first finals in 10 years, to only have it ripped away by a) an insipid performance against Collingwood and then b) waiting until the last 3 minutes of the H&A season to know that the last 23 rounds were pointless really hurts. 

Here's the thing - can someone explain leaving out Frost, playing TMac back (when he had been really solid forward) and going with OMac over Frost yesterday? I understand that Pedo was in, I understand Watts was in, so the forward line would have been too top heavy, but I don't get the love for OMac over Frost. Am I missing something - (besides the Frost wants to leave rumours?). 

I am devastated about what could have been. About the fact that the team coped so well with all the bloody injuries - for nothing. I mean for FFS - Gawn, Hogan, Jones, Viney, Watts all out for extended periods of time throughout the year. 

Yes, there was improvement. But I am tired of waiting and people taking the [censored] out the team who still can't beat North. Who are mentally fragile and lose the games the outside football world expect us to win, but all us supporters expect to lose - you know the ones? Like Hawthorn, Freo, North etc etc. 

I am tired of it. And I await the abuse from those of you who think we should support through thick and thin. Of course, I will be back next year like the sucker I am. This team is like a hardcore drug addiction that you know is killing you but you can't quit it. Bloody hurts.

And on another level - we are kidding ourselves if we think this club and this team is an attractive option for out of contract, high profile players from other teams. I will be staggered if Lever or any of the other players we are apparently "into" come to us in the trade period. We are a joke. 

I can't understand the toying with selection.  If Watts isn't a good fit, keep him out. It made as much sense to drop him as to bring him back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

the issue isnt the list. Its the mental application that is hot some weeks and cold the next. Spend the off season understanding why and then fix it.

All clubs have a list issue. The mental side is part of it.

We have a list issue and the mental side to go with it...more on this if/when I can be bothered.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, america de cali said:
September is just around the corner. After 11 years, we’re knocking on the door of finals with the chance to be a part of something special. For everyone in the Melbourne family – from the players, the coaches and the officials – we are excited to share this journey with you, our loyal fans and club members. This is as much your moment as it is ours. Months of hard work have brought us to this point and we now need your support more than ever.

- Co-captains, Nathan Jones & Jack Viney
bab2bfb4-44e1-44f3-9364-e2f1d54c8c80.png
7ea1385c-6433-4afe-b941-faa5c5bd6dac.png
eac8f1bb-17a5-48b2-984f-41288c0b344d.png
8fbb8eab-adfc-4009-8264-b8d17517c764.png
f027bfc6-11d3-4454-b647-ada1d5007192.png
As a Melbourne member, you have exclusive access to buy tickets before the general public. This priority period for week 1 matches will be from 9am-1pm Tuesday August 29 (venue local time). For weeks 2 & 3, the priority period will be from 9am-1pm the Monday before each Melbourne match.
 
Match details for each week will be announced at the completion of the previous week's games. All up-to-date finals ticketing information and links to buy tickets for all matches will be available at afl.com.au/finals.
 
Tickets from $35*
*Subject to availability. Tickets from $35 at the gate. Online ticket purchases will attract additional ticket agent transaction fees. For weeks 1 and 2 of Toyota AFL Finals Series only. Conditions apply, see afl.com.au for details.

Yep, no Melbourne logo when you click the play button.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I left this bit out. Absolutely sick.

THE FINALS
September is just around the corner. After 11 years, we’re knocking on the door of finals with the chance to be a part of something special. For everyone in the Melbourne family – from the players, the coaches and the officials – we are excited to share this journey with you, our loyal fans and club members. This is as much your moment as it is ours. Months of hard work have brought us to this point and we now need your support more than ever.
Edited by america de cali
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Positives to be taken out of this.

  1. I'll be removing the sports package on Foxtel tomorrow so that'll save me some money.
  2. We just moved two places up the draft order
  3. I truely believe that the faster a team moves up the ladder (Port 2013/14, Bulldogs last year) the quicker they drop back down. Am happy to steadily improve as we seem to be. 

Sorry, that's all I got.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Earl Hood said:

Can we at least keep Watts who is about the only bloke I trust with ball in hand. I know he has other issues but yesterday he showed up in the first quarter, while  a dozen others didn't. O Mac is getting better, TMac needs to play forward from now on so we need a key back replacement. Yes we need to trade and draft players who can kick and make decisions, our skill errors yesterday just killed us and me for that matter. 

I see where you're coming from Earl, but Watts has been a three or four million dollar investment with a 300K return. I'd cut our losses now while he has some currency. He stood up in the first quarter but in the next two did nothing. A well skilled but not an instinctive footballer.

OMac has definitely improved but is far too laconic/slow for my liking. Would like him to have a nasty streak too. Has currency.

TMac I would use as part of Lever trade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

The completion will only be even more even next year, we cannot simply assume we will improve.

It's really important to remember this. We are not on an Island as an improving football team. I saw a lot of sides look better this year, to assume the clubs under us on the ladder will be down there again is just foolish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mrtwister said:

Positives to be taken out of this.

  1. I'll be removing the sports package on Foxtel tomorrow so that'll save me some money.
  2. We just moved two places up the draft order
  3. I truely believe that the faster a team moves up the ladder (Port 2013/14, Bulldogs last year) the quicker they drop back down. Am happy to steadily improve as we seem to be. 

Sorry, that's all I got.

For what it's worth, no.3 is a pretty good point.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

Can we at least keep Watts who is about the only bloke I trust with ball in hand. I know he has other issues but yesterday he showed up in the first quarter, while  a dozen others didn't. O Mac is getting better, TMac needs to play forward from now on so we need a key back replacement. Yes we need to trade and draft players who can kick and make decisions, our skill errors yesterday just killed us and me for that matter. 

Why is Watts crucified for poor games when Vince sits back in defence each week doing [censored] all and doesn't have to be rejuvenated at Casey

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Post Mortem:

How about we do a bit a 'compliment sandwich'...

Amazing wins against Crows, Bombers, WBs, and WCE all away from home.

Unforgivable losses against Freo, Haw, and NM (x2)

Goodwins exciting gameplan

Goodwins baffling blunders in windy conditions (NM and GWS)

Aggression all year at the ball and man

Suspensions to key players that cost us wins (and percentage? Ooooh, too soon?)

 

The greatness of Oliver, Jetta, and Hibberd

The development of ANB and Oscar McD 

The patchiness of Tyson, Harmes, Pedersen, Hannan, Petracca, Melksham, Lewis, Bugg, Garlett, Tom McD, and Hunt

The stalling of Salem, Watts, Gawn, Brayshaw, Stretch, Kent, Frost, Weideman and JKH

The decline of Vince

The injuries to Garland, VDB, Jones, Hogan, Viney

The existence on the list of Wagner, White, Kennedy, Spencer, King, Hulett

 

These are the things that come to mind to explain why we have failed once again; failed when we shouldn't have.

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, america de cali said:

I left this bit out. Absolutely sick.

THE FINALS
September is just around the corner. After 11 years, we’re knocking on the door of finals with the chance to be a part of something special. For everyone in the Melbourne family – from the players, the coaches and the officials – we are excited to share this journey with you, our loyal fans and club members. This is as much your moment as it is ours. Months of hard work have brought us to this point and we now need your support more than ever.

Insane.

The club is still run by morons.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, rpfc said:

Post Mortem:

How about we do a bit a 'compliment sandwich'...

Amazing wins against Crows, Bombers, WBs, and WCE all away from home.

Unforgivable losses against Freo, Haw, and NM (x2)

Goodwins exciting gameplan

Goodwins baffling blunders in windy conditions (NM and GWS)

Aggression all year at the ball and man

Suspensions to key players that cost us wins (and percentage? Ooooh, too soon?)

 

The greatness of Oliver, Jetta, and Hibberd

The development of ANB and Oscar McD 

The patchiness of Tyson, Harmes, Pedersen, Hannan, Petracca, Melksham, Lewis, Bugg, Garlett, Tom McD, and Hunt

The stalling of Salem, Watts, Gawn, Brayshaw, Stretch, Kent, Frost, Weideman and JKH

The decline of Vince

The injuries to Garland, VDB, Jones, Hogan, Viney

The existence on the list of Wagner, White, Kennedy, Spencer, King, Hulett

 

These are the things that come to mind to explain why we have failed once again; failed when we shouldn't have.

 

Fair summary.

I would just add the overall complacency of our players.

  • Like 2
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, lucifer said:

 

Here's the thing - can someone explain leaving out Frost, playing TMac back (when he had been really solid forward) and going with OMac over Frost yesterday? I understand that Pedo was in, I understand Watts was in, so the forward line would have been too top heavy, but I don't get the love for OMac over Frost. Am I missing something - (besides the Frost wants to leave rumours?). 

 

I am with you on OMac, there is no way anyone can convince me he is any good.  If we do get Lever next year, he should be at Casey for the majority of the season and only come in as depth player.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    THE ICING ON THE QUAKE by Whispering Jack

    It’s not Christmas yet but if the Melbourne wins its last game of the 2021 season, then many of its fans will be celebrating early. There already are some parts of our town where the pending festivity is preordained. Houses are decked out with red and blue banners and streamers, some of which appeared as early as last Saturday week, on the morning after the Demons’ magnificent 83-point crushing of Geelong in their preliminary final at Optus Stadium. While it’s great to see the numbers of lo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...