Scott Thompson - Would we welcome him back?

Thommo may have distinct value as a potential coach but a player ? 

He's good but we aren't in a window looking to plug gaps

Let's evolve 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pineapple dee said:

True but it was family issues that caused him to want/need to leave for Adelaide. Little we could do about that.

Was it? I always thought that excuse was a load of bull shyte.

Big no from me, I don't want us to take him back when he's finished and give him a kick along in coaching so he can go back to SA again. 

Anyone would be forgiven to think they're reading a thread from circa 2012-13.

Get a grip you clowns.

• Like 1

YES from me….    Just like Cross.  Best trainer at Crows and will then transition into coaching.

As observation about Goodwin -  he likes to surround himself with friends -  Hibbert, Melksham, Sanderson, Thompson -  needs to make sure he can draw professional line.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Canplay said:

YES from me….    Just like Cross.  Best trainer at Crows and will then transition into coaching.

As observation about Goodwin -  he likes to surround himself with friends -  Hibbert, Melksham, Sanderson, Thompson -  needs to make sure he can draw professional line.

The same could be said for Roos... it's people he trusts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Canplay said:

Sorry

Yeah let's get all Kum by Yah !!

Scotty is NOT a player option if were dead set serious. Again , as a coach , who knows

• Like 1

1 year contract with a transition into coaching, very similar to what we tried with Crossy.

An absolute yes from me, especially knowing the state of our leadership right now, and the fact we have no real currency to improve it this off-season.

In terms of what happened in the past, it wouldn't affect my feeling on him coming to Melbourne. In terms of him playing and moving into a coaching role, it's an interesting thought. Clearly very respected given Goodwin's attempts to bring him across, would he essentially be a playing assistant coach of sorts?

What he can add to the team for 2017 is the question though, we have Chunk, Viney, Oliver, and Brayshaw as "see ball get ball" in and under players with Tyson also another contested ball winner. To steal a line from North, would he be taking the spot of a younger player? Is that the point, that we still have such a young team and Goody's trying to ease their burden so they can continue to develop at Casey?

I would be happy with it, would be strangely sentimental to see him in Red and Blue again even if his best is past him.

Edited by Pates

used to walk to the beach oval with my boys and watch thommo playing for sandy and he was a young bull hard as granite but he couldn't get a game with the dees and me and the boys would shake our heads and realise we knew nothing about footy and then he was gone..

we need experience to help Bernie and Nat and so hibberd will help down back and Melksh across the mid and gotta get a big body up forward with a brain but we don't need pensioners like dal or boomer or thommo 300 games later we are not that desperate to win but our biggest gap is that one bit of class in the guts and if we don't trade hard for it than we have put our eggs in the Oliver bag and he might be our cripps maybe...

thommo as a role model for our young uns aint a bad idea..let me smoke on that as I walk along the beach toward the Byron lighthouse.. 

Strange idea. I would have thought after three years of Roos leadership that the culture at the club would have improved. Surely we are at a stage where we don't need to recruit some has-been player and instead rely on our own to take the initiative.

Crossy was great for us three years ago. We don't need him now? He or Thommo wont win a premiership for us.

If the goal is to recruit him as an assistant coach and the only way to land him here is to offer him a year's playing contract, then by all means.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, McQueen said:

Get a grip you clowns.

Notwithstanding my predilection for overly large shoes I wouldn't be against the idea.

18 games out of Scott Thompson or Tomas Bugg ?  Not a hard decision.

The value that Viney, Tyson and even Nathan Jones could gain from one year with Thompson would be worthwhile.  It will probably come to nothing, but it's not the worst idea I've heard.

My main concern would be who he'd keep out.  I want Salem, Brayshaw, Oliver, Petracca, and Stretch playing every game next year.  With Tyson, Jones, Viney and Vince I'm not sure there'd be room for Thompson in a rotation.

• Like 2

I still remember his first game, he ran through the centre of Etihad Stadium looking completely lost in the game where Malcolm Blight infamously berated St Kilda on the ground after the game.

By 2004 he was a key driver in a midfield that was capable of winning a premiership until he was struck down by an ankle injury and traded. 

It would be a remarkable story if he returned to the club after all these years and to be honest, with the form he is in I don't mind the idea. What the Carlton and Geelong games showed is we still lack big bodies in the middle of the ground who can wrestle back control when Gawn isn't dominating.

Edited by Clint Bizkit

I love the idea of veterans because they cost nothing in terms of draft picks and tend to deliver more than developing players.

Thompson is certainly a player worth considering and he is still playing good footy. In terms of average Supercoach points, Thompson 2016 season (88) ranks behind just six Demons. 

But he would make our midfield slower and I can see problems in playing Tyson, Thompson and Oliver in the same side.

It is a lukewarm yes from me, although I would prefer Harvey despite his age, because he adds pace and skill on the outside, which I feel is our greatest need.

12 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Thommo may have distinct value as a potential coach but a player ? 

He's good but we aren't in a window looking to plug gaps

Let's evolve 

Depends on the gap. We are in no position to be plugging positional gaps but we are certainly in a position where it would be good to plug a leadership gap. That is where he might help. 

I am happy for him to come for his leadership, not for his playing as we would only be getting a year out of him. 

If a year on field is required to get him in an assistant's role, it may be worth it. Another strong professional who can further entrench standards to a young group. He may be better than bernie for this.

However, if he is keepin a Salem or Brayshaw from transitioning into the midfield, it's a no from me

Anyone who thinks we don't need experience and players with exceptional habits have rocks in their heads.

Our "leaders" are mostly average players that go through the motions, rack up some B&F votes and are our "only performers" whenever we get smashed. Few players on our list go above and beyond where we need them to go considering their experience and position at the club.

Thompson would be a valuable addition. 

Would you rather keep M. Jones and Terlich, or sign Thompson on a one year deal for the combined worth of both of those contracts? Ideally, if he comes in as a mentor and coaching assistant, even better.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, praha said:

Anyone who thinks we don't need experience and players with exceptional habits have rocks in their heads.

Our "leaders" are mostly average players that go through the motions, rack up some B&F votes and are our "only performers" whenever we get smashed. Few players on our list go above and beyond where we need them to go considering their experience and position at the club.

Would you rather keep M. Jones and Terlich, or sign Thompson on a one year deal for the combined worth of both of those contracts? Ideally, if he comes in as a mentor and coaching assistant, even better.

I would keep M. Jones as a backup. But other that I agree. Look at the Giants, they are essentially a group of kids with a player/coach in each part of the ground. Stevie, Shaw, Griffen, Mummy for a start. I am happy to debate whether Thompson is the one we should get. Personally I think someone with 2 years of playing service and idk if Scott had that left in him. But at the very least 1 of our pickups this trade period should be a player/coach.

1 hour ago, ProDee said:

Notwithstanding my predilection for overly large shoes I wouldn't be against the idea.

18 games out of Scott Thompson or Tomas Bugg ?  Not a hard decision.

The value that Viney, Tyson and even Nathan Jones could gain from one year with Thompson would be worthwhile.  It will probably come to nothing, but it's not the worst idea I've heard.

My main concern would be who he'd keep out.  I want Salem, Brayshaw, Oliver, Petracca, and Stretch playing every game next year.  With Tyson, Jones, Viney and Vince I'm not sure there'd be room for Thompson in a rotation.

16 minutes ago, praha said:

I understand the point you are both trying to make, but I don't see Thompson as a straight swap for Bugg or M. Jones. The truth is we need to find better skilled outside midfielders to compliment the likes of N.Jones, Viney, Oliver, Tyson, Brayshaw etc. Our midfield lacks line breaking ability and FWIW I would have M. Jones in our best 22 as it stands because he plays a complimentary role to our other mids. (This is a problem I agree, but we don't have an Issac Smith on our list.)