Weideman to make AFL debut against Hawks

AzzKikA

Just now, SPC said:

Or this week he may play CHF if Hogans knee is still sore and he is limited.

Maybe, could be easier start to his career up the ground a bit in more space. Hogan has a bigger tank though. I wouldnt want hogan to play if they dont think he can run up the ground, just give him the week off if he needs it.

Just now, Bombay Airconditioning said:

What about the timing of Pertacca's debut?

A hint of marketing in both decisions.

Marketing might run with it, but I honestly don't think that has anything to do with the timing of development and a debut game. Pretty sure it's based on football instead.

Petracca debuted at Etihad too, wouldn't he have debuted ANZAC Eve instead if it was all about marketing?

I think this week might be a bit of you young blokes come in and see what standard you need to be striving to be at. I read Oliver is also coming in, so assuming Petracca, Brayshaw, Stretch, Hunt, Harmes, O McDonald stay in we are really looking at the youngest side fielded for a long time, especially if Hogan stays in and Dawes goes out

1 minute ago, stuie said:

Marketing might run with it, but I honestly don't think that has anything to do with the timing of development and a debut game. Pretty sure it's based on football instead.

Petracca debuted at Etihad too, wouldn't he have debuted ANZAC Eve instead if it was all about marketing?

I think it was more they were debuted in 2 games where we struggle to get the crowd support despite being the home team. Bring them in to drag a few more fans who want to see their first games. The thought had crossed my mind, but I'm electing to ignore it and focus on their football.

Either way both players had played fantastic games for Casey the week before so I doubt they would have played without that. 4 rounds to go, I suspect Weid will get 2 weeks and Hulett another 2. Maybe keep Weid in if his form warrants it. Love to see a Weid Hullet Hogan Watts Kent Garlett forward line for a couple of weeks, Vanders would have to make way though (send him in if he needs some surgery to fix that niggle he has had all year)

1 hour ago, Wrecker45 said:

It's nothing like the Jack Watts debut. I can guarantee you if they rag doll him like that Viney, Jones, Vandenberg, Vince and a host of others will come in and fly the flag. Hawthorn can't afford a line in the sand game leading up to the finals. We can.

I was thinking the same thing.  Additionally, Watts was a highly rated and greatly talked up #1 draft pick, debuting in one of the biggest non finals games of the year. Weideman is coming in pretty much unheralded and so will not have that weight of expectation on his shoulders.

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

How about a rubbish performance from all three?  

You know what I mean :P I hope...

I mean that Dawes hasn't really been giving us anything, so even if Weeds has a bad day out, at least he's got the experience. Having a Dawes in the team that does nothing isn't really help us in the long run.

2 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Not as athletic, or as wayward a kick. 

He moves in a similar way to Pav but without the mobility at this stage (or with the mobility of 35 year old Pav).

He's smart on the lead and can take a good mark. Won't have the defensive game just yet but I think of any of the top forwards right now he probably compares most to Josh Kennedy.

I think he plays a bit like Kennedy too. Hopefully he can be anywhere near as good.

2 hours ago, Bossdog said:

All I ask is that posters don't shlt can him after one game....I don't expect him to have a big influence on the game

This selection is for the future......Up against one of the hardest teams in the comp , to learn what it is all about at the elite level.

I think that he will be given two games and then back to Casey for their finals series.

Good luck to the lad.   

Well I would expect him to have a tad more influence than Chris Dawes ( if he plays) 

Just now, picket fence said:

Well I would expect him to have a tad more influence than Chris Dawes ( if he plays) 

Maybe that's the strategy. Either:

• with the added responsibility of being the number 1 forward for the day, Dawes plays a blinder; or
  • Dawes plays a shocker thereby ensuring Weideman's confidence is boosted because he wasn't the worst forward out there. 

2 hours ago, P-man said:

Hopefully he can snag a couple.

Would be nice to get the fear started over the Hulkweed combination in years to come #hulkweed

I think you'll find that the Hulkweed combination is already found on certain menus in Amsterdam and is very effective.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, McQueen said:

I think you'll find that the Hulkweed combination is already found on certain menus in Amsterdam and is very effective.

I don't recall seeing it on the menus I perused over there. Must have been one of the more dimly lit cafes.

• Like 1

I don't mind them giving the kids a taste at the end of the year. Kind of gets the big debut out of the way so it's not on their mind all pre-season.

20.4 for the season excites me.

I'm not a Dawes hater, but I'd love to see Jesse out there with him. Would be pretty special to see that for the first time.

Might also be good for Jesse to have a little brother to look after. Would help take his mind off his own frustrations.

Edited by Ricky P
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, P-man said:

I don't recall seeing it on the menus I perused over there. Must have been one of the more dimly lit cafes.

Type it in to a Google search.

It's been thought of...

1 hour ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

The timing is right in the sense that it's late in the season with little on the line for us. Finals, while a vague mathematical possibility, are highly unlikely.

The timing is wrong in that we are playing the biggest pack of bullies in the afl who are also aiming for their 4th straight flag.

They will go for him and test him out. Dawes or  Hogan MUST fly the flag if they Jack Watts him.

I vote for the Jacks to fly the flag! Viney will no matter what but wouldn't be great to see Wattsy showing the leadership and standing up for the young one. There would be a certain amount of him coming the full circle with that.

11 minutes ago, McQueen said:

Type it in to a Google search.

It's been thought of...

Haha..revealing.

Samuel L. Jackson is being interviewed to promote “The Avengers” movie back in 2012. The topic turns to the origin of The Hulk and the iridescent green stuff Jackson says he can see in the interviewers bag. “That green marvel weed in that bag right there”, he quips, much to the surprise of the interviewer who replies “pretty sure you’re going to get me fired… But that’s OK, I’ll go down in flames”.

Jackson’s logic to how The Hulk developed his super-powers comes from a little ingestion of the green stuff. “He picked up this hybrid bud that was caught inside the atomic room and ate it like a brownie”.

Edited by P-man

42 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Hmm you have set the bar fairly low there pf!

Don't think it's really a deserved call up and against the Hawks I would not have done it. 

Be interesting to see how he fairs, it will be against a great defence and the ball coming in will probably be terrible due to the Hawks defence.

• Like 1

They arent going to throw him up to debut against the best team of the last decade if they dont think he can handle it physically. Otherwise they would have waited 1 more week to debut him vs Port, or Carlton the week after.

Must admit I havent seen much Casey this season, therefore not much Weed, but from what Ive been told he is aggressive and hits the contest hard despite his age and somewhat slight frame.