Lewis Taylor

dazzledavey36

Just read on Fox Sports website that Taylor is set to leave the Lions at years end and has refused the offer put forward to him. Apparently asking 500k..

Should we make a play for him? We see the lack of speed and outside run that we dont have and thats exactly what Taylor possess. His first 2 years was impressive but due to Brisbanes toxic development culture he hasn't been able to further his development. 

Id love to get him on board but not at the price he's asking. Interestingly he was the player we were going to pick up at pick 9 if Salem got picked earlier. Also trained at the Dees for a week as part of his AIS scholarship.

What i also like about bringing in someone like Taylor in is that he has already played close to 60 games of experience. So he is ready to go unlike in the past where we have brought in Michie Newton and Riley who all played less then 10 games and were very unkown at AFL level.

Edited by dazzledavey36

Provides great link play, run and carry, and can maintain possession with accurate disposal.
Doesn't win much hard ball however, so he's an icing type of player, and you can't carry too many.

Not too dissimilar to Brad Hill though, in my opinion. Acceleration not as good though.

And $500K may be a bit too much.

Wouldn't be surprised if we made a play though, based on past interest.

Edited by Mach5

Not overly interested daz, unless he's acquired cheaply which probably won't happen. He did have a promising start to his caree but has gone in reverse ever since. Literally. Tends to run around in circles and chip kick sideways and backwards. Lowest metres gained out of the top 100 possession getters last season. Plus there are some of the off field issues to consider.

He's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario. Is what we are seeing the player he will become, or has the coaching, instruction and playing culture at Brisbane been that detrimental to his development? We've seen how Collingwood have been burnt by Aish under the belief that he was jweighed down by Brisbane. Turns out he just wasn't that good.

Also, there's the fact he's another midget. We already have Kennedy, Viney et al. I'd prefer we target some slightly bigger bodied mids. I want to intimidate the bejeezus out of the opposition.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

Provides great link play, run and carry, and can maintain possession with accurate disposal.
Doesn't win much hard ball however, so he's an icing type of player, and you can't carry too many.

Not too dissimilar to Brad Hill though, in my opinion. Acceleration not as good though.

And $500K may be a bit too much.

Wouldn't be surprised if we made a play though, based on past interest.

I like him, wouldn't be super high on the priority list but he has what we lack and if they can bring out some competitiveness in him then he could very well be worth a look. You're right you can't carry too many, but you need some, a full team of inside competitors just doesnt work. We have Stretch developing well on one wing Taylor on the other would work pretty well I think. 

Would prefer Hanley .Not sure of his status though.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 3Dee said:

100% agreed, he has had an off year and OP prob explains it. No way is he worth 500k though.

I feel like that is partially right. Depends on the contract details. If you can get him in for 3 or 4yr deal front ended with say 500k the first and drop it down each year. That might be worth a look. You always pay overs to get a player in. Make him prove he is worth another 500k deal over that time, he has the potential. But like I said, other priorities but well worth a peek. 

The 500k is intriguing.  He is kind of saying "I'll only stay if you pay me more than I'm worth".  If I were the Lions I'd let him walk.

Not sure if he is what we need though.  He feels like a very similar player to Ben Kennedy, and do we need another of his type?  We probably have other areas to strengthen first before chasing someone like Taylor.  He certainly has some talent, though.

I'm not sure we'd have anything to trade for him, i doubt they'd accept our second rounder for a guy who's won a rising star in the last couple of years.

4 minutes ago, Abe said:

I'm not sure we'd have anything to trade for him, i doubt they'd accept our second rounder for a guy who's won a rising star in the last couple of years.

A problem we have with just about anyone worth while that we attempt to get in this off season, That said they will be after academy points which always helps with trade. I also expect us to attempt to get a first rounder or 2 through some academy point and/or player swaps 

8 minutes ago, Abe said:

Not that I want him, but I don't see how they could expect anymore for a player that they don't believe is worth 500k (and he clearly isn't).

In theory I wouldn't mind Taylor, but it'd be about satisfying the Lions and as Abe says, I'm not sure we'd be able to. However, I think what we'll see in the next 2-3 seasons are opposition players signing with us for less, because they can the direction we're going in. Obviously, in this instance, it's more about satisfying his original club.

Quietly confident we'll have a cracking trade period though, which will set us up for the 8 next year. By the end of 2017, opposition players will be talking about wanting to come to Melbourne. Our midfield is going to be seriously good. If Maxy can stay fit, our window should open up in 2018-2019.

Edited by AdamPleb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Abe said:

Could we trade Grimes (who we essentially got from the Lions with the TJ draft pick)