COLLINGWOOD VFL v CASEY SCORPIONS

KC from Casey

2 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

When Petracca is match fit. One of Bugg, Harmes, Matt Jones, Frost/Pederson quickly off the top of my head.

Im not sure Hunt has fully cemented his spot with one game. He was good but not fantastic and bugg was awesome today. The others I think are reasonable possibilities even if they werent bad against the pies.

Stats (disposals/marks/goals). Some interesting numbers:

Garland 25d 6m
Hulett 9d 2g
Grimes 34d 8m 2g
J.Smith 15d 3m 1G
Max.King 12d 4m 
McDonald 0 - got knocked out
Michie 38d 5m
NB 23d 4m 3g
Newton 11d 4m
Pattison 25d 6m
Petracca 34d 11m 2g
Terlich 41d 12m 2
Trengove 25d 4m 2g
Weideman 12d 9m 3g
White 21d 6m 2g

• Like 5

41 for Terlich and 38 for Michie, if you don't mind.  9 marks, 3 goals for Weideman is also very exciting.

Sounds like there was some very impressive performances - I count 6 players who could be in AFL grade form - and not one of them will get a promotion in all likelihood.  Pressure and competition for spots - what a novel concept.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, bing181 said:

Garland 25d 6m
Hulett 9d 2g
Grimes 34d 8m 2g
J.Smith 15d 3m 1G
Max.King 12d 4m 
Michie 38d 5m
NB 23d 4m 3g
Newton 11d 4m
Pattison 25d 6m
Petracca 34d 11m 2g
Terlich 41d 12m 2
Trengove 25d 4m 2g
Weideman 12d 9m 3g
White 21d 6m 2g

Finally developing decent depth.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, old dee said:

Correct with an ounce of luck the senior team would have been the Ladder leaders last week and this week they beat the Pies well. As long as there are no injuries there should be no change to the senior team for next Sunday.

1 hour ago, old dee said:

We will beat the Tiges with today's team.

no need for change.

Regardless of the mantra of not changing a winning team, Vince can only make the team stronger (and I suspect he will be both embarrassed and chastened) : the big question is which very unlucky player will miss out?

sounds as if Trengove is banging at the door, if "match fit".

51 minutes ago, bing181 said:

Garland 25d 6m
Hulett 9d 2g
Grimes 34d 8m 2g
J.Smith 15d 3m 1G
Max.King 12d 4m 
Michie 38d 5m
NB 23d 4m 3g
Newton 11d 4m
Pattison 25d 6m
Petracca 34d 11m 2g
Terlich 41d 12m 2
Trengove 25d 4m 2g
Weideman 12d 9m 3g
White 21d 6m 2g

What do you find interesting? 

The main bit that interested me from that was the 9 marks for Weed! I think he'll need some training in to find more loose ball in general play but that's easy compared to finding marks as a key forward. 

And good on Terls for racking them up, as he should at the level but 41 is great.

I presume Newton's on limited game plan/forward. Otherwise it's all about standard for a good win the in VFL. Michie got more of it this week, ANB less. Young talls didn't get a heap. Mids and flankers racked them up.

9 hours ago, deeko said:

You might expect him to play twos OD due to his brainfart last game and I agree it's challenging to change a winning squad but there is no doubt he will be back in the ones.

Imagine the uproar if he picks up 40 touches for Casey and the ones get done by a couple points.

Is our raining b&f also.

Don't care who's out and they will be unlucky but Vince and Jeffy will be two of the first picked

Obviously we now need a meteorologist in our Football Department.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nasher said:

41 for Terlich and 38 for Michie, if you don't mind.  9 marks, 3 goals for Weideman is also very exciting.

Sounds like there was some very impressive performances - I count 6 players who could be in AFL grade form - and not one of them will get a promotion in all likelihood.  Pressure and competition for spots - what a novel concept.

Isn't it great to have these players playing well enough that a coupe of years ago they would be rushed back into the ones,

now struggling perhaps even in some cases no chance,  depth is great

Go Dees !!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

Did Garland play and if so how did he go?

I only watched the second half of the second quarter and the third quarter and he stuffed about 5 times. I don't reckon he's in very good form. Then again, he might've been awesome for the bits I wasn't there for. 

26 minutes ago, Ricky P said:

I only watched the second half of the second quarter and the third quarter and he stuffed about 5 times. I don't reckon he's in very good form. Then again, he might've been awesome for the bits I wasn't there for. 

Garland has been very good at times i the past but also very poor. He has quite a bit of talent but in some ways he reminds me of J howe. They both don't seem to have the necessary ammount of intent and hunger to win. I hope I'm wrong and he bounces back and becomes a great defender.

14 hours ago, deeko said:

You might expect him to play twos OD due to his brainfart last game and I agree it's challenging to change a winning squad but there is no doubt he will be back in the ones.

Imagine the uproar if he picks up 40 touches for Casey and the ones get done by a couple points.

Is our raining b&f also.

Don't care who's out and they will be unlucky but Vince and Jeffy will be two of the first picked

Hail Bernie!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Sorry if it's been covered, but how did Trenners go given his concussion last week?

For those who were there that is.

I sat on the wing which is where Jack played both quarters(did not change over). I was very concerned at half time as he hardly got a kick. In second half went on ball and racked up all his possessions.

• Like 2

Garland was Garland in first half. Kicking sideways etc. BUT

In second half he played like I have never seen before. He ran directly from backline, went past for handballs and was a very creative player. Yes believe it he was a creative player. He obviously finally got the message that he has to be an attacking defender to get a game. If he keeps playing in that attacking mode then he stands a chance.

Edited by Miracle
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Miracle said:

Garland was Garland in first half. Kicking sideways etc. BUT

In second half he played like I have never seen before. He ran directly from backline, went past for handballs and was a very creative player. Yes believe it he was a creative player. He obviously finally got the message that he has to be an attacking defender to get a game. If he keeps playing in that attacking mode then he stands a chance.

Maybe it will take a few games for him to change his mindset. If he can't attack he has no place IMO.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Disposals - Terlich 41, Michie 40, Grimes 34, Petracca 34, Wilson 29.

Goals - Weideman 3, Hulett, Grimes, Neal-Bullen 2, Ambler, Rutherford, Wilson, Scott, Trengove, White, Newton, Petracca, J.Smith 1.

Sorry but when Terlich torches you for 41 and Grimes kicks 2 on you, you're in a world of pain.

23 hours ago, bing181 said:

Garland 25d 6m
Hulett 9d 2g
Grimes 34d 8m 2g
J.Smith 15d 3m 1G
Max.King 12d 4m 
Michie 38d 5m
NB 23d 4m 3g
Newton 11d 4m
Pattison 25d 6m
Petracca 34d 11m 2g
Terlich 41d 12m 2
Trengove 25d 4m 2g
Weideman 12d 9m 3g
White 21d 6m 2g

Newton scored a goal that I saw, so not sure if these stats have been lifted from official stats. And yes, he was on limited game time as was Max King, who was also playing his first competitive match for the season. Thus Kielty took most of the ruckwork when he wasnt
in the rooms getting patched up from 2 separate knocks in first and second quarters. So to lose Oscar Mac very early, and have two
players playing their first hitout at any level for the year means our last quarter demolition is all the more credible.

That's 21 goals in our two 4th quarters this year, fitness levels are evidently good.

Garland after a slowish start was fantastic, he was running out of defence with confidence we havent seen from him for a while, and he
also took several telling marks from long bombs in.

After a slow first quarter and a bit, Trengove really got into the thick of the action, he's still a tremendous tackler, and very good in
close. 

Speaking of in-close, Neal-Bullen is too good for this level. His awareness by hand in the packs is first class, as is his ability if the 
situation arises to quickly get boot to ball to clear it. If only Tyson had his smarts Dom would be a Brownlow contender.

Terlich was easily BOG. I know it's not the thing people want to hear, but he was seriously in everything all day. Made 1 maybe 2 errors all
day, so his ball use and awareness of teammates positioning has definitely picked up. White is a more skilled version of him, but finds it
harder to find the pill with the regularity that Terlich does.

Michie was our best midfielder for the whole 4 quarters, continually racked up stats, but needs to kick the ball longer, some of his short kicks were found wanting.

Grimes was outstanding on the opposite wing to Trengove. he found plenty of the ball, and used his smarts to get forward and create and score goals.

Petracca was very good, first time I've seen him in the flesh. His workrate is first class, he dropped back across half back a couple of times when we were kicking against the breeze to intercept and create scoring chains. His sheer size is frightening, he monstered a couple of Collingwood players with
tackles, and his sheer presence coming at them forced turnovers also. As mentioned in another thread, his field kicking is still a work in progress, he tried to be too precise with flat,fast passes that missed targets on at least 4 or 5 occasions but he's clearly still a class above this level.

Weeds was decent, a few of good leads were ignored or the ball kicked too high for him, workrate and fierceness at the contest well founded. Got most of his goals later in the contest, you can see there's a really good key position forward in him, just needs some more time in the gym. A couple of late season
games a la Oscar Mac would be a good appetiser I think.

Hulett only flashed in and out of the game, he's still a long way off but is a good size and led to the pockets well for his two goals. Not sure what role they have him pencilled in for long term but clearly he'll have this whole year to find his niche at Casey.

First time I've also seen Joel Smith in the flesh, he seems to have pretty good footy smarts and doesnt mind a dash out of defence also. Went for a couple of leaps that had me having flashbacks to #29 in his prime, alas he got nowhere near the footy. Look forward to seeing his gradual improvement this year.

Of the Casey players was very impressed with Pattison as a small backman, Rutherford continues to improve and impress, and you can see why Kielty is on the radar of
recruiters, he's undersize for the role he's playing but really attacks the contest well. Munro is also a very good VFL onballer/half forward.

• Like 12

DEMOLITION DERBY by KC from Casey

The Casey Scorpions were always destined to come back down to earth at some stage after last week's smashing of Frankston but it appeared that he enjoyment of the victory was going to be very much short-lived in the first half of their game against Collingwood at the Holden Centre.

The VFL Magpies opened at a frenetic pace with the aid of the breeze and held a 15 point lead in the first 10 minutes of the game before the Scorps steadied to peg them back to within a few points before a late goal gave the home side a 9 point lead at the first break. It was a scrambly game at this stage, full of mistakes and turnovers but that had worked in Casey's favour. They had done well to stem the tide.

However, if they expected the wind advantage to do the work for them, the Scorpions were mistaken. Collingwood came out full of intent and attacked for two valuable goals and at one stage had opened up a 22 point lead. Casey fought back but while it had most of the play in the latter part of the second term, poor kicking for goal allowed the Magpies to hold a comfortable lead at half time.

Justin Plapp's address must have been the tonic needed by the visitors because they turned the tables completely on their unwitting opponents and completely dominated play for the remainder of the game. The dominance began in the middle of the ground with Viv Michie, Jack Trengove, Christian Petracca and Jack Grimes dominating. They were getting plenty of support from emerging Casey youngsters Declan Keilty and Kody Wilson. By three quarter time, the Scorpions were in front. The floodgates were about to open for the fast-finishing visitors.

The Scorpions reenacted last week's final term demolition derby as they booted nine goals on end sending the large contingent of Magpie fans scurrying out of the venue in the direction of the MCG where they were about to receive some further disappointment. Many were therefore deprived of the opportunity to witness a sparkling display of forward work by the grandson of their champion skipper, Murray Weideman. Young Sam impressed with his leading and marking to kick three second half goals and was well backed up by fellow recruit Liam Hulett who booted two majors. Alex Neal-Bullen also scored two goals.

The unlikely star of the game however, was unfashionable defender Dean Terlich who has been fighting for his football future. He was steady early, sparked the comeback and was in everything as the team streaked ahead in the second half in a performance that will have him pressing for AFL selection.

The Scorpions are back at home next week for their evening clash with reigning premier Williamstown which will be smarting after their loss to Box Hill. This game will be a further test of just how far the team has advanced this year.

Casey Scorpions 3.0.18 4.6.30 9.8.62 18.13.121

Collingwood VFL 4.3.27 7.3.45 9.5.59 10.5.65

Goals

Casey Scorpions Weideman 3 Grimes Hulett Neal-Bullen 2 Ambler Newton Petracca Rutherford Scott J Smith  Trengove White Wilson

Collingwood Crocker 3 Broomhead Cox Collopy Golds Kelly Moloney Wills

Best

Casey Scorpions Terlich Keilty Grimes Michie Trengove Pattison

Collingwood Wills Hellier Broomhead Crocker Kelly Viola

The Development League team kicked itself out of their game against the Northern Blues with some shocking kicking for goal when they had the wind in the first quarter. The Blues quickly overtook them and ran away with the game in the end.

Casey Scorpions 3.11.29 4.13.37 10.14.74 11.17.83

Northern Blues 1.1.7 7.7.49 11.7.73 18.10.118

Goals

Casey Scorpions Baker Vander Haar 3 Anderson Batten Di Pasquale Mason Wyatt

Northern Blues O'Leary Totevski 3 Roos Russell 2 Bolger Brown Casley Cripps Hickey Jones Le Favi Malual

Best

Casey Scorpions Vander Haar McInerney Hannon Briggs Machaya Gains

Northern Blues Totevski Declase Jordan Brown O'Leary Casley

Statistics

Colin Garland 24 disposals 13 kicks 11 handballs 6 marks 81 dream team points

Jack Grimes 2 goals 1 behind 27 disposals 14 kicks 13 handballs 7 marks 2 tackles 108 dream team points

Liam Hulett 2 goals 8 disposals 8 kicks 3 marks 1 hit out 46 dream team points

Max King 1 behind 9 disposals 5 kicks 4 handballs 3 marks 1 tackles 10 hit outs 47 dream team points

Oscar McDonald [injured]

Viv Michie 32 disposals 20 kicks 12 handballs 7 marks 3 tackles 118 dream team points

Alex Neale-Bullen 2 goals 21 disposals 15 kicks 6 handballs 4 marks 11 tackles 124 dream team points

Ben Newton 1 goal 0 15 disposals 6 kicks 9 handballs 3 marks 8 tackles 50 dream team points

Christian Petracca 1 goal 1 behind 29 disposals 17 kicks 12 handballs 10 marks 3 tackles 2 hit outs 124 dream team points

Joel Smith 1 goal 12 disposals 7 kicks 5 handballs 3 marks 1 tackles 48 dream team points

Dean Terlich 1 behind 36 disposals 23 kicks 13 handballs 12 marks 2 tackles 139 dream team points

Jack Trengove 1 goal 1 behind 20 disposals 7 kicks 13 handballs 3 marks 8 tackles 93 dream team points

Sam Weideman 3 goals 9 disposals 8 kicks 1 handball 7 marks 1 tackle 69 dream team points

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, old dee said:

Casey need Spencer back they have very little in the Ruck department.

They are going to find it tough against Willy next weekend.

It wouldn't surprise me if McInerney plays his first game for Casey against Willy next week OD, he was good in the dev league

4 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Great work by Melbourne to put up a video of all the Casey goals on the club website and to include the name and number of the player who kicks each goal.

They need to work on their identification of the Casey players though! The last goal was kicked by Rutherford, they had Munros name up there. 
Same with Wilson kicking a goal earlier they labelled him Hutchins, who's about a foot taller