WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB – JAKE MELKSHAM

Theo

The reality is we need to get competitive and competitive fast, which means bringing in established players at the expense of speculative draftees. If he is at least competitive from the get go and give us a little speed and class and holds down a spot for 1-2 years, then its the right move as far as I am concerned. But yeah, I too hated him at Essendon...but I will welcome him now!

Edited by Ascobar

It's been said before, but I'll say it again. These guys are two totally different players.

Suckling looks excellent in a great side. He needs other players to find the footy for him, and while his disposal is elite there is a reason the Hawks shifted him to the forward line and he found it hard to find a settled spot in the side. He is a player who would struggle with us and look like a bust. He needs good players around him.

Melksham has certainly been down on form for the past two years and supporters are right in being a little wary of him. But he can find his own footy, knows how to shut down a man and he can lay plenty of tackles.

So while Melksham isn't an Earth shattering recruitment he fills a need far better than Suckling would.

Melksham fills a half back flank, where he has never played, better than Suckling would?

Suckling is a dual premiership player and the best kick in the AFL. I'd pay him $400k just to take the kickouts.

Melksham and Suckling would both struggle in our ordinary side, but one wouldn't have cost you pick 25.

I am going to kill myself

this is the worse thing ever

Hopefully you are taking the pizz if not Beyond Blue 1300 224 636 or PM me.

I may be mistaken but I believe there has been a history of draft picks given near the end of a trade period to even out earlier deals. Perhaps we may yet see a third or fourth rounder from essendon after they've finalised their other deals? Or not...

Agree please prove me wrong. He is a Melbourne player now so he has my full support. I must admit i actually feel sorry for him. Cops a fair wack from bummers supporters on twitter and instagram then i head to our MFC twitter feed and he is still cops a wack from our own dkhead supporters soon as he gets to a new club.

Seriously what do idiots get out of abusing players on social media these days.

Pull your heads in.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 2

I'm a underwhelmed by Jake's more recent form, and very concerned by the 'sword of WADA' hanging over his head. None-the-less, I have confidence in Roos and the rest of the Football Dept. to make the right call. Where does that leave me on this issue? Buggered if I know what to make of it!

Edited by Deeoldfart

I have come around to the view that Melksham might be a reasonable acquisition. That said, on the available evidence, I still think we have overpaid for an out of form, dime a dozen midfielder with a potential WADA issue who wanted out of a basket case club. Particularly in the context of what other clubs are doing.

Edited by Radar Detector

Melksham isnt a bad player, I doubt anyone would really be bothered if WADA wasnt hanging around

What is the contingency plan if hes rubbed out long term? Would it mean we just threw pick 25 in the bin? Concerning

I for one am happy with this trade. Sure the WADA may come into play but the maximum I could see him being rubbed out for is a year, probably more likely 6 months so it shouldn't be a huge issue.

If we take pick 25 to the draft we have to select a kid who we aren't sure how they will turn out, put them into the gym to build an AFL body and likely wait a year or two before they can consistently compete. With Melksham we get a ready made player who has shown to have ability at AFL level and who will be helped by stability at a new club.

Hopefully the next deal is Bugg for our third round pick and we can somehow improve our draft position with the Howe trade.

• Like 1

Melksham for 25 is a fair deal. He's a relatively young, talented player who has played over 100 games of footy, so Essendon have already done all the donkey work for us.

He is also a much more talented player than your average AFL footballer, and could fill a very good role for us in an area that we have been poor in for a number of years (providing line breaking run from half back).

When I think about his recruitment I keep thinking about Rhyce Shaw. Shaw was an inconsistent wingman who was always in and out of the VFL. He was traded for a 3rd round pick to Sydney, who gave him a specific role in defence to use his run. At the time everyone was laughing at Sydney for trading for Shaw, since he was always derided by Collingwood supporters. Shaw took this simplified role, along with his added experience, and played nearly 150 more games with Sydney, including finishing 2nd in the B&F twice.

Melksham has talent and speed, and has been underperforming for the last two years at a basketcase of a club. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that a move to a better club, along with a simplified role across half back, would see Melksham become an important member of a good team. Certainly there is a better chance of him doing it than pick 25 (or whatever it becomes). You certainly couldn't pick up a player with his talent in this draft with pick 25.

Bumping this post because it wasn't just the usual "I'll back in the FD's decision" type of platitudes. It makes a reasonable case.

• Like 1