Post Match Discussion - Round 23

Nasher

The thing that stands out about Harmes is his Viney like attack on the ball. He is very energetic at the contests. Has some rough edges but is a really exciting prospect. Will be another regular in time and further deepens our list.

May fill the spot left by Howe when he leaves ( which I think is almost certain )

The thing that stands out about Harmes is his Viney like attack on the ball. He is very energetic at the contests. Has some rough edges but is a really exciting prospect. Will be another regular in time and further deepens our list.

May fill the spot left by Howe when he leaves ( which I think is almost certain )

His aerial work was the big surprise for me. Cluncked some huge contested marks.

• Like 1

Stretchy's best game. Made good decisions, tackled ferociously, kicked it well and got involved. His work rate was terrific.

I've said this to others since his debut you notice a lot of good things from him live that you miss on TV. His tackling is great for his size. His skills are good and he makes smart decisions and as he gets used to the pace of the game he'll get better in that regard. Work rate is great.

So much of our Etihad hoodoo has come from not having good outside runners and half backs as you have to move the ball quickly or you'll get trapped in the small ground.

No surprise that Stretch, Salem and White were a big part of the win.

• Like 3

My highlight today was the pre-emptive retaliation by Brayshaw who was targeted by some plonker who thought he would give him a hip and shoulder but failed miserably when Brayshaw turned towards him and got him first. That's the spirit we need from the youngsters.

Brayshaw is from another time....when they just played fsir dinkum no nonsense footy. Love this kid :)
  • Like 9

Thamks for all your hard work Crossy. You are an inspiration to everyone. Really do hope you stick around for us..

401520.jpg

Gussy! What a champ!

Hear hear

Such s fitting end for a great footballer.

The boyz were listening after all ;)

Average age of team today 23y 175d

Missing from a 'best' team are possibly:

Watts

Lumumba

Dawes

Pederson

Tyson

Vandenberg

Frost

Kent

Jetta

Plus

Trengove

Petracca

Interesting there wasn't much tagging today so Jones, Vince and Viney played with a fair amount of freedom. The attack when they moved the ball quickly certainly seemed better.

Umpires are still a disgrace at this level.

Shocking crowd but it was a strong contingency.

If it were at the MCG, 15000-20000 easy. Poor scheduling by the league. Maybe they'll get it through their heads that if they're going to give Melbourne a home game there, do it against another Melbourne team.

Great way to finish off boys,pity $cully wasn't playing,i guess they thought they didn't need a $M1.5 tagger against us.

9,000 at the the game,i know it's Father's Day and we never go to Etihad but it was a great chance to see a win for the last time in 7 months,i would've gone for sure.

It's going to be great next year not hearing "Melbourne haven't won at Etihad since 2007" Blah,Blah f'ing Blah.

Had we not stuffed up the last 20 Toumpas seconds against the Saints,we would've won 8 games,with wins at the Cattery and against the Tigers,Dogs and Pies

That's a big improvement especially without Kent,Salem,Vanders,Tyson,Petracca for most of the year and little support for Jesse.

I thought Crossy might be handy next year but we don't know who they have their eye on yet,maybe James Kelly,Danger???

Edited by Jack7

Today's side had Viney, Gawn, Salem, Michie, Harmes, White, OMac, Newton, Stretch, Hogan, Brayshaw, JKH and ANB.

Most experienced of these players is Viney with 49 games.

Tyson, Kent, Frost, VDB, Toumpas and Petracca also on the list, none with more than 50 games experience.

That could be why Brendan McCartney said to hang tough, we will get there.

• Like 1

Improve his disposal and get more games into him and we have found another one.

• Like 1

Won in

March

April

May

June

July

August and

September

*Negativity Warning*

Would have been nice to do it more than once each.

*/Negativity*

What we need to see next year is our young guys to turn those 10-15 disposal games into 20-25 disposal games. Viney made that step in the first half of the season. If we can get ANB, JKH, Stretch, Harmes, Brayshaw and White to make the jump as well our midfield productivity will shoot through the roof and we'll see the team become really competitive with a spread out workload and real depth.

Edited by RalphiusMaximus

Sorry, I know Harmes did well today however it's now ingrained in me to cringe at bad disposal and Harmes is a big culprit who often turns it over in our forward line. He is young and has time to work on it.

Good win today go dees

One thing you can develope and teach a footballer at this level is disposal... He has all the attributes that gives him potential to be a player for us that's the main thing

Thamks for all your hard work Crossy. You are an inspiration to everyone. Really do hope you stick around for us..

401520.jpg

Gussy! What a champ!

Shame we cant pin that somewhere Crossy = Legend

Geez Ihope he stays on as a development coach

• Like 2