The thread anticipating a thread that Jack Grimes has been named an emergency

chookrat

Grimes still has it in him, just look at his spoil vs. Dangerfield last season, it shows what the man does with full confidence and commitment.

I hope he can improve his skills, body & confidence. H should be a big influence for him.

• Like 4

As much as I love the guy I'm glad that the club has taken a stance against gifting games to people in the old gang. He's had a pretty average pre-season so it's now on him to earn his spot in the side.

• Like 1

This is a poor thread. Grimes had the responsibility of captaining our club during those dark days, anyone who brings him down in a way that is unreasonable way should look at themselves and ask WHY.

He was only a couple of years ago a main part of our back line, midfield and leadership group.

Jack Trengove and Jack Grimes were only a couple of years ago, leaders of our great club and we should show them some respect. Period! Otherwise we will regret it in the future. They deserve our respect as past captains of tho oldest club in the afl ??agreed

Since when do Australians use 'period' in a sentence to describe a full stop? Weird.

Jack was a big possession winner in his early years so hardly a dour defensive only type.

I do worry about his strength in the contest though. I'm not sure when he started the veggie diet (sorry 'Webber', I know you won't agree) but is it a coincidence that Peter Siddle has also struggled since taking on a similar diet?

The legendary quarterback Joe Namath is probably the most famous vegetarian American football player. Inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame in 1985, he was also one of the best players, period. In his words, "I have been a vegetarian for a few years. Fred Dryer of the Rams has been one for 10 years. It shows you don't need meat to play football." Namath serves as a role model for aspiring gridironers everywhere. Greg Chappell, Dave Scott (ironman), Carl Lewis are also vegetarians.

From time immemorial in sport many athletes have had to live with poor form and setbacks. Grimes needs to grin and bear it and turn things around but his predicament proves that there's more depth at the club now than at any time since he broke into the senior team which means that for the club, that's a good thing.

Anyone can see this is a side based on foot skills .

Roos has said before if you can't kick , you would have to be bloody good in all other areas before you get a game in his side.

I think they are Slowly moulding their perfect side based on talent available and as we have increased our depth with the influx of new players it gets harder and harder to get a game for those like M Jones and Grimes if you continuously display too many skill errors.

• Like 2

Anyone can see this is a side based on foot skills .

Roos has said before if you can't kick , you would have to be bloody good in all other areas before you get a game in his side.

I think they are Slowly moulding their perfect side based on talent available and as we have increased our depth with the influx of new players it gets harder and harder to get a game for those like M Jones and Grimes if you continuously display too many skill errors.

Big chance we'll never see Terlich again.

• Like 1

I am a Grimes fan but he lacks confidence so I hope they play him at Casey for a while and not make him the non-playing emergency.

I also think it's a sign of strength from the selectors to leave him out.

It looks like M Jones, Bail and McKenzie now are officially depth players - as it should be.

I like Grimes too and hope he can reinvent himself. Whilst the other guys r definitely depth players along with Terlich and Riley. Not sure about Michie. I'm hoping some of them r gone at season's end and replaced with kids or mature rookies like Vanderberg who I like.

Am I the only one to think it's beyond silly that people are blaming Grimes' fall in form on the fact that he wears jumper #31?

Don't ever walk under ladder outside a building with the street number 31. 31 is 13 back to front. 3+1 equals 4. Very unlucky number in China. It is no co-incidence there is no 31 tram route. Make light of forces of darkness at your own peril.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 1

Don't ever walk under ladder outside a building with the street number 31. 31 is 13 back to front. 3+1 equals 4. Very unlucky number in China. It is no co-incidence there is no 31 tram route. Make light of forces of darkness at your own peril.

Yes there is. City to Hoddle Street along Victoria parade...

Am I the only one to think it's beyond silly that people are blaming Grimes' fall in form on the fact that he wears jumper #31?

I don't think it's the number as such 'Nasher' but I think it's a symbol of what has been placed on Jack. He has had to carry the weight of the club for a long time, even before he was made captain.

I can remember the ABC being almost apologetic when interviewing a young Jack in his first few years after another belting. It seems he was the only one the club kept putting up.

So, no it's not the number but it is what it represents as far as the pressure Jack has been placed under when he should have been allowed to develop his game.

• Like 3

The legendary quarterback Joe Namath is probably the most famous vegetarian American football player. Inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame in 1985, he was also one of the best players, period. In his words, "I have been a vegetarian for a few years. Fred Dryer of the Rams has been one for 10 years. It shows you don't need meat to play football." Namath serves as a role model for aspiring gridironers everywhere. Greg Chappell, Dave Scott (ironman), Carl Lewis are also vegetarians.

Very different game 'Kali'.

I might be clutching at straws with this one but something needs to change for Jack. He is pushed off the contest way too easily and whilst many have shots at his kicking it is this that bothers me more with his game.

Very different game 'Kali'.

I might be clutching at straws with this one but something needs to change for Jack. He is pushed off the contest way too easily and whilst many have shots at his kicking it is this that bothers me more with his game.

At this stage, there is no reliable evidence to support any theory that says vegetarians are at a disadvantage when it comes to strength. As was alluded to above, I think Jack is struggling with the balance between injury-prevention and maintaining body mass. Like others here, I think he has to find a way to reinvent himself. He reads the ball beautifully, is courageous but obviously needs work on his skills under pressure.

I don't think it's the number as such 'Nasher' but I think it's a symbol of what has been placed on Jack. He has had to carry the weight of the club for a long time, even before he was made captain.

I can remember the ABC being almost apologetic when interviewing a young Jack in his first few years after another belting. It seems he was the only one the club kept putting up.

So, no it's not the number but it is what it represents as far as the pressure Jack has been placed under when he should have been allowed to develop his game.

I don't disagree that he was over-burdened - but if that's the case, then people should just say "he shouldn't have been made captain". The number is irrelevant, so why mention it at all?

Not that it in any way justifies it, but I reckon JG and JT being thrown under a bus as 19 and 20 year olds has allowed NJ to blossom as a true leader in his own time, though. I wonder if we would all view him as the same leader that he appears to be had he been thrown under said bus instead?

• Like 1