GOODBYE MITCH CLARK

Depression does not necessarily have anything to do with money or social status... it is a mental illness and as such can affect the wealthiest, most comfortably off as much as it can the poor and homeless... in fact, when I was in India, the kids I saw in the slums and the lepers were generally happier than many people I have seen here.

Don't feed the trolls.

Kali666.... You really have no idea about mental illness!!! Yes he was earning a lot of money but that actually caused some of the issues as he thought he had to deliver!

Having seen 3rd world countries first hand they appreciate what they have and yes depression isn't overly present but unless you have tried dealing with a mental illness you fail to understand what it can do to a person and think a harden up attitude would solve it... It really isn't that simple but unless you experience it you will never believe its real

It's been around in past generations but we accepted drinking angry domestic violence which hid there real issues

One day he is going to look back and realise he threw away a dream and let down 30,000 people and he's going to think 'WTF did I do that for?'. Then he is going to dwell on that for the rest of his life. I would think this move is unlikely to be the best one for his future mental health. What would be better would be to heal his foot, go through rehab, come back and win a Coleman Medal. Wouldn't that be good for someone's emotional health? I know personally what it is like to be struggling emotionally and the last thing you want to do is throw in the towel as he is obviously doing. I know the garbage that mental health professionals speak and I would like to have a stern word with whoever it is that has advised him to go down this path. Horrible advice. Quite frankly he is being a coward, which is bad enough for anyone but when you are a person who is in a position that affects 30,000 others you should be aware of the responsibility that came with a dream being handed to you. Extremely disappointed.

I agree partly with what you say C&B and I have seen people with depression 'throw in the towel' which in the end gets them no where and the medication they are given for some from a very young age leads them to being outcasts and committing suicide. I think what you are saying about him making a come back and winning a Coleman medal would be the best outcome from where he is at. He is not being a coward by quitting football, because it is just a game or a job for him and he definitely hasn't let us down!

What I think you are saying what others missed, is that they only way to get better from depression is positivity and quitting is not it, but we must be considerate of the environment he is in being a professional footballer always in the media etc ,quitting football for him might be the way he gets better. That doesn't mean he is giving up everything else.

I have never said this before, but mods can we please close this thread?

I think those who have said their piece and wish Mitch all the best have said it. All that's left is pathetic arguing and thread hijacking.

• Like 3

I have never said this before, but mods can we please close this thread?

I think those who have said their piece and wish Mitch all the best have said it. All that's left is pathetic arguing and thread hijacking.

Could not agree more Pates there is some pathetic self indulgence going on here.

Time to close

Posters, I have just spent an inordinate amount of time sifting through the trash posted by a minute population of Demonland.

I don't believe this thread should be closed. Mitch's retirement is a big issue at the Melbourne Football Club and people should be allowed to express their opinions/feelings about it.

That said, some posters should tread far more carefully than they do or they'll get the boot - just as a poster has already from their antics on this thread.

• Like 3

Jurrah, Schwarz, Jackovich, Clarke, Wonna, Lyon....

Haven't we been teased by some serious talent in the last decade or so only to see their careers cut short or seriously effected by injury or other circumstances. Arrrghhh!!!!!!!

The first dozen or so games from Mitch were awesome for us. A real ray of sunshine in a pretty dark place. A wonderful mark and such a reliable set shot for goal. On top of that he was very dangerous with the ball on the ground. We all knew he was going to be wonderful for us as the midfield developed and he got some mates up forward to occupy the other defenders. And then... a rare foot injury, complications and a long term, frustrating stretch out of the game that combined with who knows what else away from the game and he is gone at 26.

Arrrghhh!!!!!!!!

When will it end?

Been mulling over the same thoughts since the Clark announcement.

Seems we are cursed.

You should be suspended for name calling. I knew I would cop it, but you don't have the right to abuse somebody for not sharing the same opinion as you do.

I would wager everything I own that in terms of intelligence, education and achievement, I would destroy you.

I also have vast experience in the subject that is being discussed.

You have no right.

I'll take up your bet for intelligence, education and achievement with it rated to mental illness.

Everything you own is fine with me!! Let's hope you have amassed a little bit so I don't leave you broke.

As a lawyer whispering jack can wrote the contract deed and demonland come up with the rules of the bet but please because you had it hard once don't pretend you understand mental illness... As someone who has suffered from it I understand that Mitch's problem is his and each person can be completely stopped by the smallest thing obviously you don't

Just wanted to say one thing about depression. We obviously don't know all it's secrets but there is definitely some biochemical effect involved in some cases. 10, 20, 50 years from now we might know all about it and point straight to a simple chemical imbalance, I hope so. But until then the lack of knowledge fuels the 'mentally weak' and 'soft' brigade.

But I just wanted to say is we know Mitch had at least 2 operations on his foot right - the initial one and the removal of the screw. If you google you can find plenty of evidence showing that general anaesthetics can lead to depression. Not saying that's the case here but it's food for thought for anyone stupid enough to consider the nature of depression.

To the dude that mentioned the slums in india, and slamming a depressed guy because he is financially well off, you clearly have no idea… about anything.

haven't heard the saying 'you can't buy happiness'?

Be grateful that your happy!

To mitch, life is too short to feel like this mate, get yourself right and do what ever makes you happy.

This is not a shot at Mitch or MFC

But:

I'd like someone to say that Clark is retiring as it's what he wants or has been advised to do to overcome his depression

Andrew Robb the federal trade minister had depression, stayed in politics and now just inked a trade deal with Japan

It's wrong to assume depression itself is a career ending injury however it has been viewed that way in this case.

The other thing is often the best way to overcome depression is to continue in work even in reduced capacity to create routine etc.

Players retiring through depression boosts the profile of the illness, but players stepping away or modified duties before returning to full AFL is what would really help.

Like each and every illness it affects everyone in different ways. Magic Johnson and his illness as one long bow example. Some people do not survive mental illness some do, some deal with it by doing something different in there lives that makes them feel more at ease. Christ one can only hope he has a long life and enjoys whatever it he chooses to do with it not beholden to a footy clubs supporters.

One reason I think Mitch may have retired rather than taking an indifinite leave of a abscence is because he is earning so much money. I wonder if he feels so guilty, not being able to play and that is compounding his mental health issues. I wish he had gone home even for a year, because come that time he could be completely well, I just don't think he was able to carry on earning such big bucks whilst doing so and so pulled the pin thinking it was best for everyone including the MFC.

Remember Schwartz went through three knee re constructions.......showed amazing resiliance.

What I think you are saying what others missed, is that they only way to get better from depression is positivity and quitting is not it, ..................

oh please dr jvf :wacko: sometimes it's best to keep your mouth..........(you know the rest)

• Like 3

John Lee Hooker had the blues real bad you know.

Never stopped him from singing the same song with slightly different lyrics for 70 years.

FFS...

Why is it so hard for some people to get their head around?!

You could get your head around a black dog I reckon Machsy.