Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

GOODBYE MITCH CLARK

I feel for the bloke and his family. I always thought Mitch could be the equal of Franklin after watching his first few games, he was a good grab, athletic and handy around his feet. He was a good set shot and capable of anything in the run. He above everyone else on the list had the potential to drag this club kicking and screaming out of its current predicament.

The club is the poorer for his leavng not only for his playing ability but also his obvious leadership.

I hope the club, his family and his doctors ensure he gets all the help he requires and he becomes a successful and happy phographer.

All best to Mitch and his family.

Regarding the comments around the club and the contract. This thread is about Mitch and I am sure Mahoney and PJ have that under control.

• Like 4

If the AFL are really fair-dinkum about this condition, they should orchestrate mechanisms that allow a workcover-type compensation to the "injured"; extended long-term injury list; and allow the club to temporarily boost its rookie list by canvassing lower leagues midseason.

I am cynical, but I can see him playing for Freo in 2015.

An unbelievable talent who could take contested marks with the poorest/slowest delivery in the AFL in the Neeld era. If a fit Clarke rucked for us in 2014, we would be 2 wins: 1 loss.

Unlike Leigh Matthews argument with H over Watts, Leigh Matthews was wrong when he said that Clark was overrated and overpaid when we got him. If Frawley asks for 800k, Clark's worth 1.4m!

If the AFL are really fair-dinkum about this condition, they should orchestrate mechanisms that allow a workcover-type compensation to the "injured"; extended long-term injury list; and allow the club to temporarily boost its rookie list by canvassing lower leagues midseason.

An unbelievable talent who could take contested marks with the poorest/slowest delivery in the AFL in the Neeld era. If a fit Clarke rucked for us in 2014, we would be 2 wins: 1 loss.

Unlike Leigh Matthews argument with H over Watts, Leigh Matthews was wrong when he said that Clark was overrated and overpaid when we got him. If Frawley asks for 800k, Clark's worth 1.4m!

Something is only worth what someone else is prepared to pay TGR

I can say I want $1miilion for my house but if the only bidder is $500 000 then guest what It is worth?

It is said the best defenders in the Competition are getting $500 000

That is the absolute tops for Frawley.

Having said that someone who is desperate might pay more but does he want to go to someone like us?

It certainly was sad to hear the news about clark, although I admire his courage to give up on what has been and would have continued to be a very financially rewarding career to look after this health. Not to mention giving up a game that he no doubt loves.

I also believe the club needs to be applauded for their handling of this situation. Despite the on-field performances, the management of this club, and particularly it's handling of this matter has rekindled a sense of pride in me about being a Melbourne member.

Contrary to the way in which we handled the departure of players like Junior and Brad Green, in this instance the players welfare has been put first when it needed to be. It takes guts for a footy club to put aside the financial issues and just treat it's players as people. I'm very proud of the club for the way it's handled this, and certainly Josh Mahoney who basically put those journo's back in their place when they asked about the financial implications of Clarks retirement.

Spot on.

This made me feel much more comfortable about the off field management of the club and makes me feel like we may be moving back towards being the club that signed a (non legally binding) contract that promised a young Ron Barassi Junior that they would look out for him and his mother as best they could after Ron Sr. was killed in Tobruk (someone could tell me the full details of this story but it does show what the club once was).

would still like to see one last big interview with him. I think the club and Clark owe the supporters the full story for a bit of closure to a long running saga that to be honest we have been kept mostly in the dark on.

No dis-respect to Mitch, he needs to do what is best for him and his family and at the end of the day Football is just a job for the players and a short term one at that. I wish him all the best in his recovery and photography endeavours, but as an investor to this club, both financially and emotionally I think we all deserve the full story.

With respect and while I'm truly curious (and would love to know the full story myself), No, Mitch has no obligation to discuss his medical condition with anyone and certainly not for public consumption. I am quite sure he is feeling dreadful and talking to the media is pretty much never the answer.

• Like 3

"Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened" -- Dr. Seuss. Thanks, Mitch. Your career at MFC was meteoric in all senses of the word. May you soon find peace.

• Like 4

If that happened I would hope (not holding my breath) that the AFL would step in and force Fremantle to trade for him.

• Like 1

Great article, really captures the moment and how I feel.

15 games for the club. He's always been Hercules in my mind, it's hard to reconcile that against so few games. I wonder if a player has ever been so loved by his club with so few games.

• Like 1

If that happened I would hope (not holding my breath) that the AFL would step in and force Fremantle to trade for him.

It might well be one of the reasons we are keeping him as a listed player, he might've indicated to the club that playing in Perth would be the only likely scenario should he wish to continue his career and the club chose to leave him on the list to get a trade.

Still as someone said, this thread is for thanking Mitch for his time at the club and wishing him the the best with his recovery. Whatever happens playing wise happens, ultimately he just needs to get himself better.

"Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened" -- Dr. Seuss. Thanks, Mitch. Your career at MFC was meteoric in all senses of the word. May you soon find peace.

Just read the article...am crying and smiling...

• Like 2

Only a fool would think Freo won't try and convince him to play for them in 2015.

If that is the case, and it came to fruition, Freo should be made to give something of relative equivalent value for him. But i doubt Mitch would contemplate playing for another team in the near future.

• Like 1

One day he is going to look back and realise he threw away a dream and let down 30,000 people and he's going to think 'WTF did I do that for?'. Then he is going to dwell on that for the rest of his life. I would think this move is unlikely to be the best one for his future mental health. What would be better would be to heal his foot, go through rehab, come back and win a Coleman Medal. Wouldn't that be good for someone's emotional health? I know personally what it is like to be struggling emotionally and the last thing you want to do is throw in the towel as he is obviously doing. I know the garbage that mental health professionals speak and I would like to have a stern word with whoever it is that has advised him to go down this path. Horrible advice. Quite frankly he is being a coward, which is bad enough for anyone but when you are a person who is in a position that affects 30,000 others you should be aware of the responsibility that came with a dream being handed to you. Extremely disappointed.

Hmm, that's gonna get some replies...

I've been thinking myself if "Bravery" is the right word for this action. Cowardly definitely is not the right one but is it brave to take the action that is recommended by your doctors and you put your health at the top of the priority list. Sure it's difficult and very public. Unprecedented perhaps, but brave? Just not sure if that's the right word, if there is a right word.

One day he is going to look back and realise he threw away a dream and let down 30,000 people and he's going to think 'WTF did I do that for?'. Then he is going to dwell on that for the rest of his life. I would think this move is unlikely to be the best one for his future mental health. What would be better would be to heal his foot, go through rehab, come back and win a Coleman Medal. Wouldn't that be good for someone's emotional health? I know personally what it is like to be struggling emotionally and the last thing you want to do is throw in the towel as he is obviously doing. I know the garbage that mental health professionals speak and I would like to have a stern word with whoever it is that has advised him to go down this path. Horrible advice. Quite frankly he is being a coward, which is bad enough for anyone but when you are a person who is in a position that affects 30,000 others you should be aware of the responsibility that came with a dream being handed to you. Extremely disappointed.

Only time will tell if you are correct....Personally i think this decision is also to do with a foot injury..frustration.

• Like 1

Great article and summed things up well. Clark was a star and was sooo important for this club and I think he knew it. I think that contributed to his problem. Watching that video gave me a buzz that I dont get at the games anymore, I hope Hogan gets on the paddock soon and tears it up so we ca enjoy going to the footy again, but I would rather endure more misery than have him out there without at least Dawes to support the young fella.

There is so much wrong with this post....That I cannot simply reply to it in detail.....
  • Like 2

You are a fool and should be consigned to the dustbin of life. He has let no one down, in fact you have let every Melbourne support down way more than Mitch Clarke with you illconsidered ad stupid comments.

I am tempted to believe you did this for the effect and I am just rewarding childish behaviour but what the heck you are a fool and deserve to be called one.

• Like 2

if he is fit to play again in a years time or so, i wonder if he would consider a return to melbourne?

• Like 1

Look, from your post there is little to be gained form entering a debate or even going to the effort of pointing out how misguided your position is. You are unlikely to change your view and as in all things people have their right to their opinions.

However one thing i would ask (rhetorically really as as i say there is not much point n a debate - we are not going to come together on this) - if he had been diagnosed with cancer and was retiring because the treatment meant he couldn't commit to football (but he otherwise if successfully treated would come back) - or not retiring would negatively impact on his health - would you still feel he is a coward?

• Like 6