Post Match Discussion - Round 19

Nasher

Questions Surely have to be asked of Dawes at the moment. He's had a truly terrible month. His hands are horrific, he tries far too often to milk free kicks that aren't there and far far too often do midfielders look up and there's no target there. That's his job to be the next kick.

Very disappointing.

The other is Kent. By God he's selfish. Could've given off two certainties today and went for it himself. It's a really bad look. Thought Bail ran hard today and Jetta has been close to our best over the last 6 weeks.

Have to disagree with Dawes. He chased,tackled and ran after a man all day. He was making up for a lack of defensive discipline from the rest of our forwards. Once we got the ball in he was stuffed and had 2 on 1's in most contests. He is our only forward who consistently puts on some forward pressure.

• Like 3

Great defender.....but, not as a ball carrier. Get rid of it asap.

Having said that, we're ranked number 2 or 3 in the league for bringing the ball out of defence, but ranked 18th for delivery into the F50......(no surprises there!). So, the breakdown occurs around 60 - 70 metres out of goal.

Yep and that's where all our turnovers happened today we'd get up to high half back/wing and then turn it over with poor decision making Nd deplorable skill. Doesn't help when we're playing stagnant footy either.

Have to disagree with Dawes. He chased,tackled and ran after a man all day. He was making up for a lack of defensive discipline from the rest of our forwards. Once we got the ball in he was stuffed and had 2 on 1's in most contests. He is our only forward who consistently puts on some forward pressure.

And his hands weren't too bad today (or last week either)

• Like 1

That was painful.

Wholesale change is the only answer. Can't carry players with no skills, no heart, and both.

Several players stamped their tickets today.

We have so many problems, and too many pea heart, clueless and under skilled players.

Not a football team, a basket case.

So very painful to watch, worst effort since Rd 2. Skills were appalling, shocking, laughable at times. very few positives in this one - thank goodness Casey had a good win and showed some form. the number of players who can't hit a target more than 25m is aweful - it means they also don't do the risky 45m pass that opens the game up cause they are scared of stuffing up - Watts is the only guy, maybe with Howe who can have one kick and open the game up - for all his failings this skill is desperately needed.

McKenzie was embarrassing.

Dreadful - and to think we have the Hawks next week!

100+ loss coming up.

We really r a hard team to support.

The pathetic effort to stand up when Pederson was cleaned up by that dog of a human Merrett, was typical of everything that is wrong with this team.

Selfish, play for yourself and your position footballers.

Yes our effort at the contest is good, but the lack of running and the lack of support for one another is a disgrace.

• Like 6

Roos' comments:

"There's clearly some who might not be able to get over what's happened here in the past," Roos said.
"You've got to go back to the mindset and we're waiting to get beaten. Of course if you're waiting to get beaten, generally what happens is that you get beaten."
"Today was as frustrating a game of footy as I've ever seen," Roos said.
"I haven't seen anything like that before in my time.
"The mistakes were extraordinary. Extraordinary."
"The winning component, definitely. There's a willingness to improve and there's a willingness to comply," Roos said.
"But I think that lack of belief that we can win, or we're capable of winning, is far, far greater than what I'd imagined it could possibly be."
"For us today, how many times would we have gone forward and the next thing you know, you go, 'blimey Charlie, how'd they (the Lions) get hold of that'," he said.

I can usually see the humour in it. Not today unfortunately.

Humour is all I could see in the game today P-man. The game from both clubs was laughable, I was looking for the line to pick up my cash for being an extra in a comedy at Docklands today.

They finally started hitting up some targets in the last Q and it was game over, maybe they were playing "rope a dope" with us.

• Like 1

That was absolutely deplorable. A worst display of skill at an elite level of sport I have not seen. I am seething.

If you said to me the team in red and blue were a bunch of blokes who had never played footy before and were having a first crack at it, I'd say 'yeah, that's about right, lots of skill errors and poor decisions, missing goals from 5 metres out, kicking over players' heads 15 metres away, they are the things they will get better at as they learn the game.'

But this was a bunch of supposed professionals playing at the elite level. Some of the mistakes were absolutely baffling. I cannot comprehend how full time footballers who train three times a week all year can make such fundamental errors. You could go to a suburban footy game and pluck a bloke out of the crowd who's just had 10 beers and he still wouldn't have made some of the errors we saw today.

I know we are a poorly skilled side and a battling side, but even with this in mind our performance today plummeted to levels you would hardly ever see in the AFL. It wasn't a lack of effort, just an inability to perform the most basic fundamentals with ball in hand.

Jordie McKenzie how can you miss a set shot from 12 metres straight in front? Disgraceful.

Aidan Riley how can you miss from the edge of the goal square? Why did you lie on the ground for 20 seconds after taking a mark instead of getting up and kicking to a teammate streaming into goal, only to then do a rubbish chip kick and turn it over? Pathetic.

Chris Dawes how can you not execute a 2 metres handball to a teammate (Blease) running past? After doing bugger all all day how can you make a mistake an 8 year old kid wouldn't make? It's all very well and good to collect your $500k per season, but your performances of late are barely worth $80k.

I'm just sick of it - sick of watching this bunch of second rate footballers masquerading as an AFL team, making mistake after mistake, failing to capitalise on dominant periods of play and then crumbling late when the heat is applied. They don't know how to win - as Roos said they are just waiting to lose, you can sense it sitting in the crowd.

And let's not forget we were playing the Brisbane Lions - a young, bog ordinary side - away from home. Even the Lions turned it over numerous times and made poor decisions going forward. They failed to capitalise on our mistakes. Imagine what Hawthorn would have done to our turnovers today. The score would have been 30 goals to 3.

Too many out there are not up to it, we are slow and lack skill, and I would be expecting big changes at year end to clear out the many sub-standard players that we are so damn good at accumulating.

Hawthorn next week should be loads of fun. Can't wait.

• Like 7

I watched the first two quarters on tv then i had to go out so listened to the 3rd in the car, i heard the first 5 mins of the 4th when we were about 13 points up then missed the rest while i was busy. Checked my phone about an hour later after the suspense got too much only to see Brisbane won by 23!?!?!

really? really MFC? is that your best?

Last year i decided not to renew my 2014 membership until i saw some progress somewhere in the middle of this season. During the membership drive while i was out fishing one night Rohan Bail called me up and convinced me otherwise, i can see now i should have stuck to my guns. Next year I will stick to my guns. Sorry MFC but im over it, good luck for the rest of the year.

• Like 1

Roos' comments:

"There's clearly some who might not be able to get over what's happened here in the past," Roos said.
"You've got to go back to the mindset and we're waiting to get beaten. Of course if you're waiting to get beaten, generally what happens is that you get beaten."
"Today was as frustrating a game of footy as I've ever seen," Roos said.
"I haven't seen anything like that before in my time.

Says it all

Tommy Mac, Neville Jetta & lyndon Dunn & Jermey Howe are our success stories of the year. Tommy held Merrett all day until he had to go off .

Never ever doubt Jordies efforts, its just the skills. He tries too hard.

Blease vs Bail : No brainer Bail

The ball should be in Jettas, Howes or Watts hands coming out of the backline . Give them room , but they must work hard to ensure they are at the contest, not jogging along 2 yards behind it . And I do not mean Howe or Jetta . Gut running required for Watts

Disappointed by this loss because we handed it to them

• Like 1

I watched the first two quarters on tv then i had to go out so listened to the 3rd in the car, i heard the first 5 mins of the 4th when we were about 13 points up then missed the rest while i was busy. Checked my phone about an hour later after the suspense got too much only to see Brisbane won by 23!?!?!

really? really MFC? is that your best?

Last year i decided not to renew my 2014 membership until i saw some progress somewhere in the middle of this season. During the membership drive while i was out fishing one night Rohan Bail called me up and convinced me otherwise, i can see now i should have stuck to my guns. Next year I will stick to my guns. Sorry MFC but im over it, good luck for the rest of the year.

Last year I also decided not to renew my membership as I wasn't enjoying going to games anymore, I wasn't enjoying getting smashed every week and watching our 'players' put in little to no effort. Today was the first and only game I've been to all year (due to free tickets from a mate) and I can safely say I don't regret that decision at all. If anybody finds a 2013 membership scarf at etihad it's all yours I won't be needing it. This team has lost me.

• Like 1