Paul Roos on Footy Classified

dees189227

Only for those who've banked on it being a fait accompli.

It's a nice plan to follow.

It may still work. If it doesn't, there are other options.

You beat me to the punch.

I think people are unnecessarily stressing out about something that in all probability will come to fruition but if it doesn't well...then we do what nearly all other clubs do...we go and get another coach.

The one thing I am confident of is that Roos will leave the place in infinitely better shape that it has been since our glory days. I would like to think that coaching us in 2016 would be a very attractive proposition for any coach - be it one chosen as part of a succession plan or one that is chosen at the end of Roos reign.

• Like 3

At the end of the day, the succession plan was really something to entice Roos into taking up the positions of senior coach.

Now it has evolved into something new for the more feeble-minded to stress over in relation to the future direction of our club.

Damien Barrett's job is bloody easy.

Relax guys, Roosy's got this.

• Like 1

The reason the succession is important is:

A. Succession in game plan, no more throwing out the baby with the bathwater

B. Succession of Culture

C. Supporter and player confidence

But the succession plan never relied on Roos being around in a permanent position after the 3 years. There was every chance he either became a hindrance to the new coach or a hindrance to the club by charging his hefty fee for a consulting job.

And the alternative is we find an experienced coach to take over after Roos.

Al Clarkson finishes his contract with Hawthorn after 2016. That's one alternative. Ross Lyon is 2017 but he's known to be more flexible with his contracts.

Jesse Hogan, Jack Viney, Dom Tyson, we can dare to dream. If we can think negative we can think positive.

The most important factor is that the next coach can actually coach! And that over rules some aspects of the above 3 points. Any half decent coach would be mad not to follow on from the template Roos has left.

So I just watch the FC classified interview, as has been said there wasn't anything groundbreaking. Perhaps the fact that he ruled Ling out as the successor was the only real thing of note. It really was funny (and a little irritating) watching Caro trying to bait him for a headline article, the way he responded to every one attempt from her was just perfect because he didn't just swipe her away and try to make her look foolish as a Malthouse would do, he just kept it simple and when it came to the McLaughlin sit down issue he admitted a little bit of fault just to douse the flames.

Busy night for him, he's much better of Fox Footy because he has a good understanding with the people he works with (plus they're better to watch) but he did well on both counts.

Edited by Pates

Personally I don't know why everyone are getting their panties in a knot, this one is PR's call and he will make the right decission when it has to be made that is sill 18 months away so chill out what will be will be.

P.S I bet they already know who will take that position.

Most of you missed that he essentially said he is at the club until we don't want him anymore - he sounded like a Demon lifer from here.

Who cares if he coaches for 3 years or 5 years - he is a Demon and will be around the club and helping make decisions for a generation and a club restored.

Celebrate.

• Like 7

Most of you missed that he essentially said he is at the club until we don't want him anymore - he sounded like a Demon lifer from here.

Who cares if he coaches for 3 years or 5 years - he is a Demon and will be around the club and helping make decisions for a generation and a club restored.

Celebrate.

Roosy seems like a blood loyal guy and I think he's been so embraced by our club he will do what he can in any capacity to lift us out of the basement.

I also gey the feeling that after he was kind of "shafted" by Sydney and their academy program his loyalty to them ended abruptly.

pretty disappointing to hear Roosy will definitely not have a full time position at the club after the 3rd year

i think we should chase Bomber Thompson hard, if we arent already

This succession plan thing is a mess

Why exactly is it a mess ?

I suspect that in h_h's mind, everything to do with our club, every time.

Mods - we desperately need a "dislike" button.

• Like 1

Roosy seems like a blood loyal guy and I think he's been so embraced by our club he will do what he can in any capacity to lift us out of the basement.

I also gey the feeling that after he was kind of "shafted" by Sydney and their academy program his loyalty to them ended abruptly.

yeah I read it the same way. Both his connection to the mfc and the disconnect with the swans (how stupid was that by the swans). 3 years full time senior coach. Establish the roos culture. Get his man in place. Stay on in a part time development role for both coaches and players alike. Do a spot of talent spotting and developing young players. Live part time in Hawaii and part time Melbourne (his home town) and be connected to a 150 year old club. Maintain a culture. Leave a legacy that in decades to come will be compared to norm smith. Edited by binman

Roos sounded as if he was enjoying what he was doing, I thought he sounded open to a 3rd year with the dees and who knows what can happen then, if the club is going well, it takes a lot of guts to walk away from a successful club, though he has done it before he may just want to hang around a little longer to ensure that who ever he entrusts the side to, to coach learns the ropes properly.

FFS possible successors are all currently still contracted at other clubs with at least 5 games left to go before their seasons end.

This is not a vacant coaching position where they have interviews and the new coach is announced forcing his former employers to sever ties.

Pretty sure there will be things happening behind the scenes

Come seasons end I would expect the successor to be announced

FFS possible successors are all currently still contracted at other clubs with at least 5 games left to go before their seasons end.

This is not a vacant coaching position where they have interviews and the new coach is announced forcing his former employers to sever ties.

Pretty sure there will be things happening behind the scenes

Come seasons end I would expect the successor to be announced

I think so too 'Pennant', Roos is a pretty decent media operator. When he said "Good question Gary", he didn't answer it, just deflected. I think they have a pretty good idea of who they want and when they want to announce it and are quite prepared for the media to speculate all they like.

Celebrate.

I just can't see Roos simply stepping back into the shadows, if we can't find a successor. I know he's apparently said that he definitely wouldn't coach past three years (I didn't see FC, so I'm not sure exactly what he said), but I'm still relatively sure he'll stay on as head coach past three years. Particularly, if we are on the fringe of the eight or in it by the end of 2016.

I just can't see Roos simply stepping back into the shadows, if we can't find a successor. I know he's apparently said that he definitely wouldn't coach past three years (I didn't see FC, so I'm not sure exactly what he said), but I'm still relatively sure he'll stay on as head coach past three years. Particularly, if we are on the fringe of the eight or in it by the end of 2016.

He doesn't seem that type of person does he....

However he did say he would like to possibly rotate work with living in Hawaii (not sure how that would work) - for him, that would seem a pretty bloody good working arrangement to me :)

Edited by Wormburner

I don't think he wants the day to day grind of head coach for much longer - I think he will move into a similar role to the one at Sydney with a spot on the board or as a Technical Director.

He said on FC that he will be at the club 'in some capacity' post his head coaching days.

• Like 1

If the umps were allowed to exercise any common sense no way that was a free against Watts - it was the perfect spoil.

IF they pay every free strictly per the rule book there would be over 100 per game.

Roosy feels part guilty and part responsible for the monster competitive beast he created at sydney.

now trying to rebalance the natural world football order and give back to the founding club which has been trodden on for so long