Jesse Hogan ~ new 2 year deal

Lucifers Hero

I am so glad they are not rushing him back to play this piddly little game against GWS.

WCE in Perth will be a big event for one of the boys and that sometimes can be enough to get the rest of the boys up and about.

And performing over in Perth will be a big step for this group.

Yeah, I think that it was partly Jesse's idea to do things this way, he is giving himself every chance to come in on top of his game and show everyone why there is so much Hype

I was told Jesse has some fairly old family members who wouldn't have been able to make the trip so debuting in Perth means they can make it along which I think is pretty special, great of the club to facilitate things this way for Jesse

I think the potential for having him debut far away from hype would be a great idea, even so there will probably be a bit of hype around him returning this week in the VFL.

Did anyone else watch Misso injury report yesterday?

The part we he spoke about Hoges really sparked my interest.

He was really quick to answer and deflect and almost seemed agitated at the time the Matt Burgan had asked about Jesse.

I watched it a couple times over last night trying to read Dave Misson's body language and came up with the theory that maybe Jesse was going to play for the Dees this week.

Article on Melbourne website says Hogan to play this week - mentions VFL in the title but not specifically in the article. Perhaps still an outside chance to come straight into the AFL side? He has been training fully for a while now and is already a class above VFL, similar to what Gold Coast did with Jack Martin after a long time out perhaps?

• Like 3

I'm stunned they're only giving him 1 vfl game?

Certainly not set in stone, he hasn't played competitive footy since in the NAB and I'd expect him to just play a half and if he doesn't do much I'd imagine they'll give him another week.

The Perth debut makes a lot of sense for Jesse. All I wish was WCE hadn't found such good form at the end of season. They were thoroughly average after the first 3 rounds for the most of the year and could've been beatable. Now, all that stands between them and finals could be us.

Fook em rather beat them at full strength, I live and work around those Meth Coast front running supporters and my hatred for them has no end. Take it up to them and make them accountable and they are not that good, their forward line is a nightmare to match up on if you allow them clean use of the ball from midfield but win the midfield battle and clamp down on them, Priddis is going to get his hands on the ball you can't prevent that but he is not their main weapon through the middle. We must prevent Gaff, Shuey and Hurn having time and space, while Jamar and Gawn/Pedersen need to just break even at centre bounces. Do those things and we are halfway there.

Easier said than done but it is no secret in how to beat them, they love getting involved in shoot outs but sides who take it up to them with uncompromised footy is not their forte. The game has been sold out for weeks and even if the Bombers beat them this week they will be up for next week treating it like a farewell party for Cox, but there were similar factors facing us with the Hafey and Cassisi games earlier in the season.

Edited by Pennant St Dee
  • Like 3

Hate to be a spoiler but I cannot seriously see how Hogan will play one VFL game then straight into the team just to play in from of home crowd?? Since when has Paul Roos done that all year?

Have people all of a sudden people just forgotten that Hogan hasn't played since March this year? He is coming a looong way back from a serious injury.

What happens if he plays 60% game time and has 4 disposals and kicks 1 goal? Is that enough to come into the AFL side? Absolutely not! People need to stop with the romantic fact of playing in front of a home crowd. Its about managing his body and match conditioning not try and cause more injury to his developing body.

Paul Roos and PJ has said over the years we have relied too much on these young kids to come in and star for us straight away. Jesse Hogan will need to earn his spot not just gifted to him because it will be his home crowd. Plenty more years to come for that im sure his family will understand for goodness sake.

My opinion is he wil play about 60% game time this weekend then ramp it up to about 80 to 90% the week after in the VFL. if he plays really well and the club believes he has earnt a game then he will get one. If he doesn't then not the end of the world. He goes into Pre Season fit and firing.

Common sense peoples!

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 5

Hate to be a spoiler but I cannot seriously see how Hogan will play one VFL game then straight into the team just to play in from of home crowd?? Since when has Paul Roos done that all year?

Have people all of a sudden people just forgotten that Hogan hasn't played since March this year? He is coming a looong way back from a serious injury.

What happens if he plays 60% game time and has 4 disposals and kicks 1 goal? Is that enough to come into the AFL side? Absolutely not! People need to stop with the romantic fact of playing in front of a home crowd. Its about managing his body and match conditioning not try and cause more injury to his developing body.

Paul Roos and PJ has said over the years we have relied too much on these young kids to come in and star for us straight away. Jesse Hogan will need to earn his spot not just gifted to him because it will be his home crowd. Plenty more years to come for that im sure his family will understand for goodness sake.

My opinion is he wil play about 60% game time this weekend then ramp it up to about 80 to 90% the week after in the VFL. if he plays really well and the club believes he has earnt a game then he will get one. If he doesn't then not the end of the world. He goes into Pre Season fit and firing.

Common sense peoples!

This is the part I disagree with. For us, it's a wait but for the players the pre-season is 6 months of vigorous training. For Hogan to be in the system for two years and not debut, it's tough on him. It's as if it's all going against him. I'd like to see him get a game to get the monkey off his back, so that he can come into the PS with some understanding of how good it is to play AFL.

Lets give the guy a reason to smile. If he's fit, he's fit.

Edited by Pirlo
  • Like 1

Common sense peoples!

Agree with you somewhat Dazzle because I have no doubt Roos and the FD are looking to the future, but the if I have is should Hogan be fit and ready to go and add something to our forward structure they may well play him.

The Kid has one a B&F in 2's has been training the house down for a month and people want him to go to Casey and suffer 3 weeks of rubbish delivery , scoreboard beltings , very little excitement and sarounded by 6 or 7 blokes who know that there careers are finished and don't want to be there.

Straight into the team next week for me thanks.

• Like 7

The Kid has one a B&F in 2's has been training the house down for a month and people want him to go to Casey and suffer 3 weeks of rubbish delivery , scoreboard beltings , very little excitement and sarounded by 6 or 7 blokes who know that there careers are finished and don't want to be there.

Straight into the team next week for me thanks.

This ^^

The Kid has one a B&F in 2's has been training the house down for a month and people want him to go to Casey and suffer 3 weeks of rubbish delivery , scoreboard beltings , very little excitement and sarounded by 6 or 7 blokes who know that there careers are finished and don't want to be there.Straight into the team next week for me thanks.

If you replaced 'Casey' with 'Melbourne' that post would still make sense.

Has to play VFL though. Form should decide whether he debuts in round 22 or 23.

• Like 1

we are playing GWS they are not going to be anywhere near as brutal as westcoast, and as some other posters have rightly commented, Casey is a bit of a basket case that is likely to provide limited and most likely poor delivery, so the benefit if running around for casey is greatly diminished. So if they are going to debut him in the next two weeks then I would put him in this week as I believe the MFC would provide him with slightly better delivery and support. It is not as if he will be pushing out someone with extreme talent. Given we only kick 6-8 goals a game he would not necessarily have to set the world on fire to keep up with the existing team average.

we are playing GWS they are not going to be anywhere near as brutal as westcoast, and as some other posters have rightly commented, Casey is a bit of a basket case that is likely to provide limited and most likely poor delivery, so the benefit if running around for casey is greatly diminished. So if they are going to debut him in the next two weeks then I would put him in this week as I believe the MFC would provide him with slightly better delivery and support. It is not as if he will be pushing out someone with extreme talent. Given we only kick 6-8 goals a game he would not necessarily have to set the world on fire to keep up with the existing team average.

If we can't bring injured players back through the 2's in the normal way a club would operate because of that, we need to do something about Casey.

• Like 1

Did anyone else watch Misso injury report yesterday?

The part we he spoke about Hoges really sparked my interest.

He was really quick to answer and deflect and almost seemed agitated at the time the Matt Burgan had asked about Jesse.

I watched it a couple times over last night trying to read Dave Misson's body language and came up with the theory that maybe Jesse was going to play for the Dees this week.

Yes I thought exactly the same thing after watching it but I thought it might have been preplanned between them with both knowing he was coming back but couldn't say anything about it.

I'm more interested in seeing how the structure of our team and their forward delivery changes with Hogan in, than I am seeing Hogan debut.

If it's as backwards, static and hopeless as current, we know there's greater problems with this team than lacking key forwards.

The Perth debut makes a lot of sense for Jesse. All I wish was WCE hadn't found such good form at the end of season. They were thoroughly average after the first 3 rounds for the most of the year and could've been beatable. Now, all that stands between them and finals could be us.

They won't make the finals if they lose to Essendon away and that is quite a possibility. If they do lose maybe their heart won't be there for our clash. Here's hoping.