Garry Lyon

picket fence

We do this over and over again.

Keep eating our own.

He effed up. He was reluctant and he never should have agreed to do it, but sh!t happens at footy clubs and he was a great servant and is a great fan now.

And I can confirm he watches games and I can confirm he trudges out of the G with the same look of frustration and anger that us 'real' fans do.

But keep sticking the knife in - self defeating BS.

• Like 12

The only thing I hold against Lyon is his role in the selection of coaches.

Otherwise, a great servant of the club.

He didn't pick the coaches alone but at least he has never shied away from the mistakes made in making those appointments.

He is passionate about our club but as a football commentator must try to be impartial.

This is one great of the club who I don't think should be kicked.

I saw neita at the game last night. Most under-rated previous player for mine.

If you go to any MFC function he will be there, he's a great guy and would do anything for the club. We had him on our table at one event and my wife had him in stitches when she told him we named our dog after Schwarta, he particularly liked the fact it was a little Shitzsu.

• 4 weeks later...

Garry Lyon said Sunday's clash between the Demons and Gold Coast Suns had been "horrendous"

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/kevin-sheedy-and-garry-lyon-concerned-about-standard-of-play-20140421-zqx92.html#ixzz2zajGTV9B

Love the no 3 but STFU when we are still trying to learn the basics, we need not remind that there was a 2 year delay in that due to Neeld.

Lets win ugly before taking these comments seriously any day of the week

obviously i and very few of you would have any idea of his current situation with club, but putting that aside - he frustrates the s**t out of me.

He is a melbourne great with what I'm betting would be enough money to live several life times by now, why doesn't he give something back to the club?

Why did he barley involve himself when this club experienced the darkest period of its existence?

his lack of commitment is very ordinary.

obviously i and very few of you would have any idea of his current situation with club, but putting that aside - he frustrates the s**t out of me.

He is a melbourne great with what I'm betting would be enough money to live several life times by now, why doesn't he give something back to the club?

Why did he barley involve himself when this club experienced the darkest period of its existence?

his lack of commitment is very ordinary.

Barely involve himself? He's one of the main culprits of why we find ourselves where we are. He was very much one of the boys club who along with Schwab and Connolly, took advantage of the absence of a very ill Jim Stynes. Not only did he tell Jim not to sack Schwab along with Bailey, but he was on the selection board that appointed Neeld as our coach.

He's been greatly involved, too bad everything he was involved in turned to sh!t.

Wouldn't let him anywhere near the workings of our club for a very long time.

• Like 2

he was actually at the game on sunday with one of his sons and his wife.

Where were you sitting.

I was directly behind him in the backrow?

I'd still like to see him back at the club.

He can take a leaf out of Billy Brownless' book. Billy loves his Cats.

Gary, wife and son were at the game on the weekend. Son got his membership scarf, they went to Tridents or Legends. He saw the same Sh/t that the rest of us who went saw. Don't know what his involvement with the club is, but he turned up, which is more than I suspect a lot of others did.

• Like 4

Why attack him, he is right. The game not just ours is ugly and has many supporters not turning up and switching it off. Yesterday's crowd of 80,000 was the highest for the year, I think the next closest was about 63K, considering the big membership numbers of the clubs this shows that members are happy to buy memberships but aren't turning up.

Why? the game is garbage, watching live is worse than watching on TV it is under 9 footy where 36 players chase the footy around. Teams don't try to win they try not to lose.

Garry is a passionate Melbourne person and a great Ex player of this club, one who has suffered and bled and fought for it. He was an outstanding captain, was All Australian CHB and ALl Australian Fwd, one of his best games was in the centre against Essendon at Windy Hill. I think some people forget what a great player he was.

Yes, he made some bad appointments, along with others, and as someone mentioned on here, he has admitted to them and takes responsiblity for them. He along with a great deal of others thought Neeld was great choice, it was widely applauded as a top choice for this club. it didnt work out and it has cost us no doubt.

I know him personally, very well, so its no surprise that i will stick up for him, but he gives alot of his time to the club, loves the club.

His job now is in the media, and its to be honest, which he is, his comments about the game against the SUns are echoed around the state, it was awful, not just Melbourne, but the suns to. It was awful footy, and there is alot of it going on.

I think its time to stop the bagging of our ex players, criticise and objectively put forward opinions, but the out and out slagging is not what i associate Demons supporters with. We are better than that.

• Like 2

Let bygones be bygones. Good to see him back as a supporter. Being a media entity he is always going to have something to say about us by default of his job.

Edited by america de cali

I was in the members on the 2nd level and when I looked across in the next section I spotted him. He did leave 5 minutes before the final siren. Dont blame him.

Can't help you.

The last 5 min. was the most exciting of the whole game.

Abletts BS free kick.

Evans Goal

And the coast to coast with 10 sec on the clock

• Like 1

I don't quite understand why this discussion even exists. Let the game evolve and teams adjust. If we keep changing the rules and how the game is played, it's going to evolve beyond that anyway. It happens. There are too many variables and we keep adding to that number with a "rules committee" that is really nothing more than an act of self-mockery on the league's behalf. It's like it admits that many of the game's rules are open to interpretation, and a call (or non-call) are dependant on the situation and time of the event, so it tries to draw a straight line through things that for 150 years have come and gone without so much as a rule change. It is not like soccer where there is a very technical application of the rules: it either happened or it didn't. Aussie rules has always been open to self-interpretation of the rules and how games are played it. It's part of what defines it.

I'd have thought guys like Leigh Matthews would be in favour of allowing players and coaches to get out of a rut on their own accord, but instead he seems inspired by his own faux sense of power.

The defensive mindset hasn't changed the game. It's the mindset that we need to keep changing the laws to make it "better". Footy is footy. It doesn't matter how it's played. If Melbourne had gotten up on Sunday, we'd all be singing the praises of Roos. It didn't go our way, so we lament the "defensive style" of the game. Give me a break!

Edited by Cudi_420
  • Like 1

I have only just read the article.

I don't find anything offensive at all.

he wasn't aiming broadsides at Melbourne.

He was at that game and saw what everyone else saw.

There is so many assistant coaches being employed to do things to give the team an edge.

What is happening is they are changing the game to suit their playing group.

The clubs that have the most stable list and better assistant coaches win the most games.

So where does that put us. List very unstable.

Assistant coaches that maybe good but have been with the club 6 months.

Hence Roos comments the gap between the top clubs and the bottom clubs has widened.

We first need stability. Off Field, On Field. You don't get that overnight.

If you go to any MFC function he will be there, he's a great guy and would do anything for the club. We had him on our table at one event and my wife had him in stitches when she told him we named our dog after Schwarta, he particularly liked the fact it was a little Shitzsu.

I wonder how many games we would have won this year with a fit Ox and Neita in the key forward roles. I reckon we would be 4-1.

the AFL started killing the game with all the ridiculous rules they bought in

]the sub rule is absolutely mind numbing and not needed in the slightest

had this out on the weekend.asked people what they wanted to see.

everybody replied similar,

high marking.one on ones, the best players not being tagged,no rugby scrums.

simple solution to all of that,i agree with KB,no interchange,4 on bench with "once off not back on"

interchange came to this game because players who were taken from the ground uninjured and then a 3rd injury made for complaining coaches and press.

the interchange bench was extended for the same reason.

thats the reason we dont see the great players,marks 1 on ones,

• Like 3