WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - CHRISTIAN SALEM

Freddy Fuschia

When Salems name was read out i was so upset, but i have calmed down now, and after watching his highlight reel i think he will go good for us (alot like Yze) but still would have rathered Freeman any day of the week.

Freeman isn't an great kick. We've picked the more rounded player.

Freeman appeared to be taller in the group photo. The AFL website stats read Salem 183cm 81kg, Freeman182cm 85kg. So were talking 4kg of muscle less on the frame of an 18 year old about to undertake his first AFL pre season. Yet he is the more skilful player.

Interesting Pick. listening to Roos explain the pick 2 trade, he was really onto big bodied midfielders as we took Viney and Toumpas last year.

so its a surprise we didn't go for a bigger bodied player, although he likes the contest.

He looks like a clever link player with very good disposal and a good amount of pace. Sheahan and some phantom drafts just say he is a better footballer than Freeman but I think people are underwhelmed by the lack of X factor in this kid.

it would be good to properly develop a player at Casey for a while and bring him in when he is ready. I don't think Roos will throw him to the wolves straight away.

We have been crying out for our team to 1- get the freaking ball and 2- stop butchering the ball every chance they get.
People need to look a little deeper at the selections/trades.
All are either pure mids or can go into the middle for bursts.
All have a hardness at the ball with most also possessing a like of hunting the man too.
All have good to excellent skills.
All run both ways.
None are slow and most possess good to very good pace.

I couldn't care less what any other player in any other team does from now on. It's about what these blokes can do for us.

I firmly believe believe we have had a very good trade/draft period.
We have strengthened the midfield considerably. We have addressed areas like pace, skill, ball winners and small forwards and we still have a few rookie picks to use on addressing further needs. I wouldn't be surprised to see 1 or 2 bigger mobile talls to develop as backup to current stocks as well as maybe another small forward.

Welcome Salem, JKH and Hunt. Here's to successful times ahead...

Salem looks a bit like Bachar Houli and he might develop into a small defender based on his profile (average speed, 183cm, good ability in the air, good skills and hard edge). I preferred the look of the eight selected before him, so I was hoping one would slide to us. In saying that, Salem’s numbers in the TAC competition indicate he was a pretty safe choice.

Salem looks a bit like Bachar Houli and he might develop into a small defender based on his profile (average speed, 183cm, good ability in the air, good skills and hard edge). I preferred the look of the eight selected before him, so I was hoping one would slide to us. In saying that, Salem’s numbers in the TAC competition indicate he was a pretty safe choice.

Small defender?......midfielder, that is what he is, it was always going to be between him and Freeman

I loved his interview on Fox last night he was "pumped" to be picked by the Dees.

I have no doubt he will give 100% and at last someone who is not going to butcher the ball.

Thankyou Robbie57 for sticking with "give 100%" and not going with the ridiculous and physically impossible "give 110%".

Keep the 110% for the cliche's thread.

Small defender?......midfielder, that is what he is, it was always going to be between him and Freeman

I wouldn't be surprised if Toumpas and Salem both spend their first few years off a HBF before moving into the midfield.

We have thrown the kids in there because we have been negligent with our midfield recruits but having Jones, Jones, McKenzie, Grimes, Vince, Cross, Tyson, Viney, Watts, Trengove, Blease, Evans, and Howe ahead of Salem means that we can bring the kids in when they can cope better.

Edited by rpfc

I picked it as i saw him as the more skillful between he and freeman.

Very clever, and will develop onto a luke Hodge type only quicker.

His dad owns a few restaurants around melbourne, does anyone know where they are?

I think Salem's game will hold up to the speed of Afl better than most.

I wouldn't discount the possibility of him becoming one the top 2 or 3 players from this draft. Has a lot going for him.

I wouldn't be surprised if Toumpas and Salem both spend their first few years off a HBF before moving into the midfield.

We have thrown the kids in there because we have been negligent with our midfield recruits but having Jones, Jones, McKenzie, Grimes, Vince, Cross, Tyson, Viney, Watts, Trengove, Kent, Blease, Evans, and Howe ahead of Salem means that we can bring the kids in when they can cope better.

ykz.gif

In the gist of this think quite a few players will be able to revert to roles more akin to their abilities and stage of development. We've had a few attempting to punch above weight and we've been caught out. The list 9 at least on paper ) now looks far more realistically balanced....in time we'll know :)

We have thrown the kids in there because we have been negligent with our midfield recruits but having Jones, Jones, McKenzie, Grimes, Vince, Cross, Tyson, Viney, Watts, Trengove, Blease, Evans, and Howe ahead of Salem means that we can bring the kids in when they can cope better.

RP, it will most likely happen, but for me, I'd rather see them play on the wing than HBF. In the years I played football, I always found the HBF the hardest position to play, especially if you are playing against a good HFF. Admittingly I didn't have Garland, Frawley and McDonald helping me out down back, but always found it a tough position to win. (Nb I played everything except ruck!).

Really happy with this selection.

I was tossing up between Salem & Freeman all week, and thought I'd be happy with either, but after Aish was taken I imagined Freeman's name being called and felt pain at the loss of Salem.

Was very happy with the Salem result.

Hard tough competitor even though his game is really about top quality disposal.

As explosive as Freeman is, Salem is no slouch, and the ball always covers ground faster in the air than in your hands.

Well, it does when you have a penetrating kick like Salem's.

Always go with solid skills and footy IQ over athleticism.

Found this old article: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-05-03/footy-in-the-blood

Edited by Machsy

I picked it as i saw him as the more skillful between he and freeman.

Very clever, and will develop onto a luke Hodge type only quicker.

His dad owns a few restaurants around melbourne, does anyone know where they are?

Ask Roosy, he has already hinted that he is after a free meal!

RP, it will most likely happen, but for me, I'd rather see them play on the wing than HBF. In the years I played football, I always found the HBF the hardest position to play, especially if you are playing against a good HFF. Admittingly I didn't have Garland, Frawley and McDonald helping me out down back, but always found it a tough position to win. (Nb I played everything except ruck!).

Really? Half back flank is the easiest position on the ground to play. Just follow an opponent and keep behind them if the ball comes in long then you can peel off a bit and then attack. Much easier than back pocket where you can get trapped one on one with a dangerous forward. It does depend on the midfield pressure of course but if there's any kind of pressure up the ground then half back becomes pretty easy. Hence why CHF's are still vital.

Toumpas in 2012 didn't have the body strength or physicality to play half back. He was better running around on a wing but even then he couldn't fully cover the ground. Toumpas this year should be able to do either (or I suggest both) with much more success.

Salem could be worked in to games in the same way but I'd probably start him forward and midfield and as a sub similar to Kent of 2013. Start him wing and half forward at Casey if he impresses get him half forward for the dees if he impresses more get him on a wing. That's how Sydney develop the likes of Parker and Tom Mitchell.

Really? Half back flank is the easiest position on the ground to play. Just follow an opponent and keep behind them if the ball comes in long then you can peel off a bit and then attack. Much easier than back pocket where you can get trapped one on one with a dangerous forward. It does depend on the midfield pressure of course but if there's any kind of pressure up the ground then half back becomes pretty easy. Hence why CHF's are still vital.

Toumpas in 2012 didn't have the body strength or physicality to play half back. He was better running around on a wing but even then he couldn't fully cover the ground. Toumpas this year should be able to do either (or I suggest both) with much more success.

Salem could be worked in to games in the same way but I'd probably start him forward and midfield and as a sub similar to Kent of 2013. Start him wing and half forward at Casey if he impresses get him half forward for the dees if he impresses more get him on a wing. That's how Sydney develop the likes of Parker and Tom Mitchell.

LIKE.

HBF is the easiest position to play in the whole world ever.

Ball in your vicinity gets sucked toward the CHF not the bloke you are on, and when it is in the hands of anyone in your team across half back, you just look for the ball out the back or in space as the HFF is either lazy or zoned off.

It is the perfect spot to gain some confidence at AFL level.