How much football have Demonland members played?

Nasher

Your footballing prowess  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

School and a couple of seasons of juinors at u15 and u16 level. Played the age group above in a team that only fielded a full team twice in two years, won two games in two years and usually got smashed. 44 goals 22 to 1 point is the most memorable. Played all positions except forward pocket and ruck, kicked 20 odd goals as a full foward generally playing on 3 backs (as we didnt have a full team) and the team probably only got 50 for the year. If I played in my right age group i would have been with Luke Power and winning consecutive premierships!

Sailing was more my focus going through the junior, youth and development state teams. Never quite made the VIS/AIS due to lacking the last few percent of talent. Could never quite make that last step and the kids I was up against have picked up numerous world titles, gold medals, and an Americas cup or two.

With the greatest respect for Picket and those who have posted. What is the point? i respect the intelligent and knowledgeable posts. Whether the poster played footy is of no relevance or importance. You judge the person on the quality of their comments. I like Picketts posts, but I don't care if he played marbles or football. 

• Like 3

I was a good enough junior footballer to be invited to do a pre season with StKilda under 19's, as a 16 year old ,however I lasted only 15 minutes into the first training session and requested a taxi back home.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, hemingway said:

With the greatest respect for Picket and those who have posted. What is the point? i respect the intelligent and knowledgeable posts. Whether the poster played footy is of no relevance or importance. You judge the person on the quality of their comments. I like Picketts posts, but I don't care if he played marbles or football. 

I don't tie it back to a posters ability to comment on football, but it is interesting to know nonetheless.

• Like 3

I remember Wayne Schwass in our North Melbourne under 19 squad. He was a tough rough kid. Denis Pagan saw him as a diamond in the rough.

I lasted 3 training sessions and was cut.  Suburban footy for me. 

Schwass was a dirty chain smoking 16 year old with an awesome left foot and muscles. The rest is history

• Like 1

Steven Hawkings is curious....

Swans under 19's when the ressies and U19's were still at Lakeside but seniors in Sydney. Got cut, not enough mongrel. 

VAFA under 20's rep side.

B-grade Amo seniors. 

Got distracted by girls and study. Ho hum. 

I don't think you need to have played the game to be a good analyst. In fact I think it's irrelevant. 

• Like 3

I played 3 games for Salesian College, Rupertswood, as a 6 foot ruckman in 1966 and played 2 seasons for Sunshine VFA under 16's as a Ruck/Wingman,. We played in a very rough and tumble lumpen prol western suburbs comp, more biff than class, as was the wont in the 60's, and one of my last games was against West Footscray opposed to Laurie Sandilands in a final. I kicked 2 goals, we lost,but I was nominated as one of the best players in the Sunshine Advocate.

Edited by dieter
  • Like 2

Started playing the age of 6 for Sunshine heights then went to Albanvale football club at the age of 9 We won the Under 12's Grand Final (was the only girl so was rapt!)  then played for Altona womens football club then Deer park womens team then started working with Werribee's vfl then moved over to Coburgs vfl team. Miss playing though :(

• Like 8

Here is my tale of woe...

In the mid 1980's I played for a Footscray sponsored rep team against a western Sydney team in Sydney. I sat on the bench most of the game cos the club I played for was despised haha and I was only selected cos they had to due to results.

I was a full forward at the time and held the league record then for the most goals kicked in an u17s game which was 18. I also gave away 12 goals that game too. I'd regularly handball from a mark in the goal square to the kid off the bench, who would be playing forward pocket, in the goal square to bring him into the game and cos I was a late bloomer and had spent a few years as a bench warmer myself and knew the feeling of not being up to it yet. I reckon I gave away 50 goals that year minimum. My boots also fell apart after 6 games that year and they got replaced with moulded soles and I couldn't run in the mud haha. That was costly, I ended the season on 92 goals. Could have kicked near 200 if I'd been greedy and had proper boots. I also had to run 6ks to get to the ground to play or catch the bus from the ground to games which took it's toll. On days I got a lift to the ground I'd play a much better game.

In my seniors year I never went to training cos I had to leave home so I'd only play reserves when I could get there so from playing 8 games of the 17 or so in the season I lost the B&F by 3 votes. Shame was my GF was asked to do the voting one week and wouldn't vote for me cos it would seem biased lol.

The worst part was the coach in u17s was a lousy human being. His younger brother who had no talent was made captain wtf!! and when I was on fire he would take me off and put his brother on at FF. He'd kick no score and I'd be back on.

One game I was told to not leave the goal square or I'd be benched and I knew he'd do it. This was a top of the table match and there was a huge crowd and I wasn't allowed to lead or I'd be off the ground.

I found out after the match that there were recruiters at the game from the Dees and the [censored] coach wanted his brother to stand out. Of course the idiot FF who didn't know how to lead wasn't spotted!!

My dad was an excellent athletics coach (I had siblings as state and national junior champs) and trained me a few years later for a comeback and I was going to go down to the Dees for a run. My younger bro was training at the saints, never got a game though, and in a local comeback game I landed on my tailbone and dislocated it, that was pretty much the end of it sadly.

Loved the game, lots here would know the feeling of seeing the ball and wanting it so much that nothing could stop you, you just had to get it, to touch it and smell it, watching it bounce around while you zoom in and placing yourself in a better spot than your opponent so they come off worst, all while you sum up your options and...... anyway. Long time ago :-)

It's time to pick up the kids lol!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

So who are the 3 people that have been on an AFL list?

I was on an AFL list - barred from entry to any of their games....

Amateurs U 19s.

Retired at 20.

Ted Carroll was coach.

I was Ok but not terribly dedicated.

I had a run in a practice match for the Demons  under 17 's at VFL park (  3 bounces up the middle and not a team mate to be seen).

Was invited to a training camp at Lorne .

I could have been a contender.

• Like 5

Did some VicKick in the late 80s (as it was then known.) Then was steered into sports with more opportunity for girls. Glad those days for young girls are over for good and those that want to and have the ability are able to continue. Who knows what kind of superstar I could have been ;)

• Like 3

Interested to know who is still playing?

Apart from bbo

judging by the dland vs bummers fan zone game many of us are still playing including this 57 year old freak

Not me but I have a friend who went to Melbourne High and he played a preseason intra school practice match and his opponent was a newly arrived and very young Robbie Flower.

He said that Robbie got about 40 plus possessions and my friend got two kicks for the day and one of those was in the ankle. Needless to say, one of the two went on to have a stellar career - the other ? not so much.... 

• Like 1

during highschool I played junior football and still hold two records; most red cards recieved and I was the only guy ever to take off my boot and try to stab someone.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Mad_Melbourne said:

during highschool I played junior football and still hold two records; most red cards recieved and I was the only guy ever to take off my boot and try to stab someone.

You're that kid! 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 3

Still have the letter inviting me to MFC under 19's signed by Jim Caldwell     Only lasted the pre season

Played one season in the VFA

Played in the Federal league for over 200 games still have the scars to prove it

Captained coached a team in the southern league for 3 grand finals but no premierships

"              "         a team in the SWGFL for one year for a prelim.

Edited by Bossdog
  • Like 1