• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

How much football have Demonland members played?

Nasher

Your footballing prowess  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

More inspirational than any of us WYL now that is effort and dedication, just to get out and don't let anything get in your way.

Please don't think I am being patronising in anyway, I really take my hat off to you. Most inspirational thing I ever saw in my life was John Mclean doing an Ironman race, I raced that day and was just blown away by his zest for life and never say die attitude, he was a former top athlete (was playing rugby league in NSW I think) who was hit by a truck whilst out training and left paralysed but never let it get in his way of competing and providing inspiration to others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKh32NIuTJM

Also Team Hoyt a father and son from the United states, they race in marathons, Ironman races and if you are not inspired by their story you have no heart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF7Bv9Rjl0E

Cheers mate.

It's been a wild ride so far....it's probably why i get so Sh!tty on the MFC over the last 7 years.

Just get your act together!!!!

Edited by why you little
  • Like 3

I think you could add Peter Welsh to that list of players as well. Very handy on baller. Played for the Hawks and the Tigers, premiership player? I think he has passed away since.

25s game over 3 seasons and eventual Captain of Box Hill Tech, 150+ games at Pioneers in ESCFA in A & B grade only and was DVC for a couple of seasons.

Vice captained U 17 Interleague side against West Gippsland League, had a few training runs at Hawthorn and a couple of years at the Zebra's in the EFL.

Played a bit of footy with Crozier and Marshall at Pioneers. Marshall was a freak but a touch undersized. I was always a full back, could kick it a bit.

Marshall and Welsh played school footy at Box Hill, I reckon Marshall was the more gifted player and played with him at Pioneers. My old next door neighbour was a recruiter at Hawthorn and tried to lock him in down there, the story was he played one u19's game was BOG and didn't go back.

Trev Hoath was another great player from those days.

Good to have another Pioneer boy on board 'still waiting', if you're down Gippsland way, anywhere near Herbie? maybe you did a little bit of coaching?

Edited by rjay

I only remember was it Max Robertson tearing us apart for Melbourne High? Big forward/ruck unit who went on to play for the Swans. I only played one BHHS game as a reserve, I was an outsider, latecomer to the school. As I remember it the teachers didn't pick the side after any training sessions it was compiled by Dennis Crozier and a few mates instead. I could be wrong on that one. A long Time ago. But I do remember coming from another school and athletics being my strength but there were no school sports at all at BHHS.

And rjay I should add getting to the school and asking a kid if I could join in for a kick to kick at lunch time not long after I arrived. Strewth all I saw were the heels of his boots at my eye height from a standing start next to me! I never got a kick. How Gary Marshall never played VfL I will never know. But as you said it takes drive more than talent, perhaps.

I reckon you were a year ahead of me 'Hood', but yeah Gary was doing the Howey thing every lunchtime on the oval.

Some amazing stories, from blokes like me who gave up before they started, to kids who are dreaming big, to blokes in their early-mid 20s who had big dreams that weren't realised, to old guys who hung up the boots years ago who are able to give some insight in to how it was.

Giving myself a pat on the back for starting this thread :) To be honest, I wasn't really expecting this kind of response, I thought I'd get a few responses and it would die. Give people the chance to talk about themselves, I guess... ;)

Good thread 'Nasher', a few of us are off on a bit of a Box Hill tangent but it brings back a lot of good memories mate.

Went to a private school but was never rated. 5ft 10" & 9 stone. Was captain of one of the open school teams. Would get 40 touches doing a "Bartlett". At 15 played for some amateur team in Elsternwick. Don't remember which one. Was tough. Got knocked out twice.

At about 18 played for Surfers Paradise. 6 great players, 6 average players & the rest made up the numbers. Tough league. Funnily was never scared on the footy field. About 40 yrs ago played for the Melbourne cheer squad mainly against Collingwood.

Grew up in NSW. Thought AFL was a stupid game and, like all of my friends, didn't play the game or even watch it.

Played rugby at school and supported the North Sydney Bears in the NRL.

When the Bears essentially got punted from the competition, I figured I needed a footy team and, as my Dad and his side of the family were all passionate Demons' supporters, I thought I'd give it a go. This was in 1998.

Got totally addicted thereafter.

Played one game of Aussie Rules for my college at university. Spent the entire game running away from some thug/massive unit who was intent on punching me in the head every time I got near the ball. Only a week or so later did I work out that I bagged his ex girlfriend earlier in the year. He was feral about it. I was just confused.

Sporting claim to fame - played State cricket for NSW with Adam Gilchrist. In the under 12s.

Was also offered a couple of scholarships to play tennis at Arizona universities after school. Sensibly, I took a gap year instead and spent the entire year in the UK/Europe drinking booze, and have done nothing spectacular ever since.

that thug was biff Edited by jazza

I remember playing in the Maryborough/Castlemaine league in 1982. I was 16 or 17 in my first year of open age footy and I was on the wing in the 2's. We were playing Primrose on the large open spaces of Maryborough City Oval. Being 6 feet tall and about 70kgs I was running near the boundary, right in front of my dad who was an old fashioned, tough uncompromising policeman. A huge thug ran (waddled?!?!) up behind me and gave me the best whack I ever received - right in front of my dad. I still can't believe he didn't jump the fence. I tried to play on but couldn't balance or run straight for about 10 days.

To be honest, I am glad the stupid thuggery of 70's and 80's football is gone. I was witness to, and participant in, some dangerous ridiculous stuff. Introduction of the second on field central umpire went a long way to fix country footy. Names like Scully who played for Talbot who was terrifying; most of the Chewton team who were psychotic; and a Maldon player called Docker O'Keefe who was suspended for 10 years for donging a goal umpire from Kangaroo Flat who spat on his neck. To be honest, they weren't the good old days - even if they did feel like it when in the midst of it.

I was a 'very average' rover at school and local levels (think a slower version of Simon Godfrey with no stamina). My 'career highlight' was captaining the local team for a year, with Barry Breen as vice captain (true story). Any thoughts about playing at a higher level were curtailed when it dawned on me that you could have more fun with girls than with 17 other blokes on a footy field .......... besides, playing on Saturday arvo meant that I couldn't watch the Dees running around the 'G'.

ps. I'm fumbling around searching for excuses, but bottom line is I was never good enough.

I grew up in the Western District of Victoria and played Junior and Senior footy for the Pirron Yallock Tigers who were part of the Colac and District League. My grandfather played in their one and only premiership in 1924 of which I have an original team photo of. I was never a jet and floated between the ones and magoo's for the majority of my time there but that was really due to application as opposed to skill which in turn was influenced by too many frothies with the boys on Friday night before the game. Played under Rob Pekin who was the older brother of Tim (former Fitzroy and St Kilda player) for a few years and experienced the best win of my career during this time. We were playing Apollo Bay at their ground and we're getting smashed by half time. Bay were the reigning premiers and we were the perennial cellar dwellers. There was a howling easterly and it must have been only 8 degrees this day and we knew the game was lost. Peko however, gave the most stirring address followed by an equally as stirring rendition of 'yellow and black' which connected with the team like something I'd never experienced before and have not since. We came from 9 goals down to win by a goal or two by memory. It was after this that I truly got addicted to the game. Unfortunately, not long afterwards I moved overseas for work and footy ended for me - almost..

I tend to think I was light years ahead of the AFL when I invented my own 9 per side game back in 2000 whilst in Zambia. Myself and another expat used to take the pill down for a kick on one of the soccer pitches over there which was in a fairly remote part of the country. Slowly, a few of the younger village kids came out and joined in and then more, including men before it became too chaotic. This became my first coaching role and we set up a few sides which also involved Angolan refugees from a massive refugee camp 10 Kms away. Talk about hilarious although some of the young kids there picked it up surprisingly fast.

I'm now 41 years old and have been playing Masters footy here in WA for the past 7 years. Play on the ball, floating forward for a rest every now and then. This is easily the most enjoyable time I've had playing football in my life.

If anyone still has a desire to have a kick but is on the wrong side of 35 yrs, do yourself a favour and search for your nearest Masters football association and get back into it. Rules are slightly modified but boys will be boys and the competition is still pretty fierce.

I like to think I've got another 20 years to go yet.

Great thread, read every post in detail. Well done to everyone.

• Like 5

pirron Yallock sheep herders,well buggar me

remember the bay occassionly let you get a win,we were just trying to make you feel better and keep your sheep safe on a Saturday night.

the pub at pirron was a favourite stop on the Warrnambool back to colac drive.

Yeah the Mamre was and still is a great place to rehydrate. The only time the Bay lost was when they run out if weed jazza.

• Like 1

Grew up in NSW. Thought AFL was a stupid game and, like all of my friends, didn't play the game or even watch it.

Played rugby at school and supported the North Sydney Bears in the NRL.

When the Bears essentially got punted from the competition, I figured I needed a footy team and, as my Dad and his side of the family were all passionate Demons' supporters, I thought I'd give it a go. This was in 1998.

Got totally addicted thereafter.

Played one game of Aussie Rules for my college at university. Spent the entire game running away from some thug/massive unit who was intent on punching me in the head every time I got near the ball. Only a week or so later did I work out that I bagged his ex girlfriend earlier in the year. He was feral about it. I was just confused.

Sporting claim to fame - played State cricket for NSW with Adam Gilchrist. In the under 12s.

Was also offered a couple of scholarships to play tennis at Arizona universities after school. Sensibly, I took a gap year instead and spent the entire year in the UK/Europe drinking booze, and have done nothing spectacular ever since.

Substitute ACT for NSW and your story is eerily similar to mine Ron, although my highest cricket claim to fame is playing firsts with David Dawson (now plays for NSW). Gilly is definitely one to chalk up. Played rep soccer up until U17s when music, girls and booze were discovered. Adopted our game in the mid 90s and gave it a bash in my ANU days where I discovered that I was destined for fandom. :)

Just ended my TAC Cup career.

Two years for roughly 12 games - was a little out of favour by the coach.

However, I will hold my league B&Fs over Christian Salem, Nathan Freeman and Josh Kelly as my claims to fame.

MSJFL u 12s, 13s & 14s.

And if my guess is correct, a stellar career in the ammos awaits.

I had a run with U19's VFL.

I didn't impress switched to VFA Mordialloc Div 2.

Conscripted and went to Vietnam.

Came home and played another season with Mordialloc, with a couple of other ex dees.

Then did a knee footy done and dusted.

Interested in the year you played under 19's. I have some of annual reports with team photos.

Exactly 50 years ago, I played under 14s at East Brighton. My parents were against me playing footy so I enrolled in guitar classes but went to a mates place, left the guitar there and changed into the footy gear and we went off to the games. It was the same club Carl Ditterich had played with but he was a good bit bigger than me and a somewhat better footballer although I once kicked a lazy five goals drifting down from the wing (my pace was my forte in those days now sadly long gone). When the season was over, I went back to the guitar lessons because my folks were wondering why I could barely play one tune (Blowin' in the Wind) and even that was a poor effort. Then on a Saturday morning in late November, I woke up to the news of JFK's assassination. I felt so bad I skipped the guitar lesson and never went back.

With that, two potential brilliant careers, one as a footballer and the other as a folk singer came to an end.

I still played school footy (both the school team and yours truly were mediocre), I later tried out for the Law Faculty footy team but it was a tough team to make with several AFL players including Michael Green who became a premiership player with Richmond. Phil Rhoden was the team's best player - he later played a few games with Melbourne and was the best and longest kick of a footy I ever saw (two of my kicks barely made the distance of one of his). Missed out on the faculty squad so I tried out and played a couple of under 19 practice matches but wasn't impressed by the coaching or selfishness of a few of my teammates. Then I discovered I was short sighted so I gave up altogether though I remember doing kick to kick with the great Johnny Townsend on the beach at Cowes one year.

• Like 2

Phil Rhoden was the team's best player - he later played a few games with Melbourne and was the best and longest kick of a footy I ever saw (two of my kicks barely made the distance of one of his)

I can agree with you on Phil Rhoden. Never saw him play a senior game but plenty of reserves games before the main event. His drop kicks from full back had to be seen to be believed. Plenty of oohs and aahs from the crowd. My only remaining memories of these reserves games are of him and his bald head. I tried to copy his kicking style and managed on the rare occasion to put in a real long one.

One more story before you all tell me to Pissoff. Late seventies, I have played 150 odd games mostly on the ball but now doing it pretty easy at half back playing on the sort of average forwards who find themselves at half forward. Back then most of them were decoys for the key centre half forward. Usually no problem shutting my man down to a goal here and there. We line up at Brighton United ESCFC. I am at half back picking up a 15 year old, looking for another win and easy day at the office. Holy [censored] this kids kicked 4 on me and set up another 3 by the 20 minute mark of the first quarter. Con Gorodizdis who went on to play for the St Kilda and the Dogs. Never seen anyone as good at 15! Stand in front he was on your shoulders, stand behind and all you saw we're his stops in your face. I tried some physical stuff and he nearly throttled me and this from a teen! We lost big time that day I think he got 9 or 10. But it was a previledge to witness what real talent looks like. And gee he was a shooting star in the VFL that faded. it never ceases to amaze how some people can be so gifted physically.

I played on a bloke called Knight who played for Old Brighton in the U19s back in about 89/90. Was a freak, I was convinced that he would kick on but never heard of him again.

Anyone know of him?

Edited by jabberwocky

Played local footy for a small town in Northern Vic. Played juniors til the age of 16 then went into the ressies (not due to skill at a young age but lack of a thirds team).

Played fwd pocket or flank in the magoos for 4 or 5 years before moving to Melbourne and didn't know anyone playing down there (at my lower level) so gave it away.

Came out of retirement at the age of 28 last year in the Pub Footy league in Melbourne (ten min quarters, one every 2 or 3 weeks, ripper!) and loved it. Travelled this year but will be back next year. Had forgotten how much I loved it!

Edited by Redbeard
  • Like 1

Captain of the magnificent `Gentlemans 18` in 1981 (the fourths) at the cradle of some great players, Melbourne High. Well, cradle as long as they stayed during the footy season, looking at you Renee. Had the option of on the bench in the 3rds, or Captain 1 grade below. Played under the legendary coach Trevor Reid, games against the top public schools, gave Grammar a big fright, as the Gents 18 was made up of crap lacrosse players and even worse footballers like me!

Hello First post. I have played since I was 8 years old. Now 58 and will still give it a go next year. Over 50s at Darebin. Played with a few VFL players over the journey as well as two of the most successful School teams I know. St Vincents in the Bendigo Golden Sq league. By 1972 they had won 12 of 13 Grand Finals in the Under 18s comp. Then Heidelberg High which won two Vic High Schools Grand finals in a row. Had a couple of coaches from Collingwood (Adamson and Potter) as well as a couple of pies players (Manassa, Stewart, Bond, Wise all of whom had some 1st games at the pies). I am rubbish but love getting out there.

• Like 6

I played on a bloke called Knight who played for Old Brighton in the U19s back in about 89/90. Was a freak, I was convinced that he would kick on but never heard of him again.

Anyone know of him?

kel went on to marry kath day Edited by jazza
  • Like 3

Made my debut in under 13's country team at the age of 7. Got my first kick a couple of years later.

Reached a peak in Western Border U. 18's team (which included Billy Picken) who played Collingwood U. 19's at Victoria Park.

Many years of Ammo's after that and now enjoy watching a son play amateurs and a beer after the game.

I can agree with you on Phil Rhoden. Never saw him play a senior game but plenty of reserves games before the main event. His drop kicks from full back had to be seen to be believed. Plenty of oohs and aahs from the crowd. My only remaining memories of these reserves games are of him and his bald head. I tried to copy his kicking style and managed on the rare occasion to put in a real long one.

I always thought they gave him one game a year so he could go on World of Sport kicking competition.

I still miss the reserves