• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

How much football have Demonland members played?

Nasher

Your footballing prowess  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Love the thread, a bit more detail for myself.

Played uniors in Vic and S.A before moving to Qld where I started playing senior football for the old West Brisbane. Hightlight was no doubt playing in the 1996 QAFL premiership before the club folded in 98.

Also did preseason with the Bears in 1990. Great memories of Norm Dare giving me a serve for not going to training when I hadn't even been told to come down. Probably should have known they were not that keen when finally turning up for training they told the property steward not to get any gear for me.

Move down to Vic and played at Springvale. Missed out in the 98 flag being named an emergency. Great club with some amazing players.

Played some more QAFL on returning to Qld before a couple of years back in Melbourne where I had a kick with Murrumbeena. Managed to win 3 games in 2 years which was a bit of a struggle after coming from some pretty strong clubs.

For the last 6 years or so I have been coaching at Queensland University and the state 18's while also sitting on the UQ committee. Been great seeing the club grow to the point where we have gone up to the QAFL in 2014. Was midfield coach in 2011 for Qld 18's after never playing midfield in my life. Gave it a crack but wasn't invited back in 2012.....Been running the IT and rotations for the past two national championships which has been very interesting.

Its been quite a ride :)

Edited by FC Melbourne
  • Like 1

Played with the Young Christians, a prayer before the game was our pre game routine, one of my fondest memories as was getting my regular massage from Father Peter, god bless him

He was well named wasn't he.

What I heard about the Young Christian league was a prayer before the game then clock the first opposition player who looked sideways at you and the odd brawl with the crowd at half time.

I think it was St Ignatius Richmond that joined the the ESCFA after being booted out of the YCA league. they came into E Grade. They kept winning but every week you would notice one of their players getting six weeks for eye gouging or kicking. Scary stuff. A few years later a mate of mine playing for St Leo's Wattlepark took them on in a Grand Final D grade I think and the cops had to called in. The supporters assaulted a boundary umpire, king hits behind play you name the game had everything.

Ahh those were the days! I am talking the late 70's of course.

Is this the mob that became Richmond Amateurs? nice bunch of gentlemen.

Is this the mob that became Richmond Amateurs? nice bunch of gentlemen.

Yes I think you are right. Thankfully we were in C grade and B grade while they were climbing from E then D but I think they were chucked out of the league at that stage. It was Jack Dyers old club.

That said I played in a Grade C reserves game against Wattlepark I think when the brawls got out of control and the umpire was decked, got in his car and drove off! What do you do then? It was close to finals time and the league docked both teams points, that cost them a finals place. It ended up in court. They lost the case.

Another time we played a spitefull match in Chadstone, can't remember the side's name, we won, many on field fights but the crowd turned nasty and we had to leave the change rooms as a phalanx to stave off the mob. Even so a couple of our guys were king hit. That was really scary stuff. But hey those were the days! Thank God we have moved on.

Edited by The Hood

Yes I think you are right. Thankfully we were in C grade and B grade while they were climbing from E then D but I think they were chucked out of the league at that stage. It was Jack Dyers old club.

That said I played in a Grade C reserves game against Wattlepark I think when the brawls got out of control and the umpire was decked, got in his car and drove off! What do you do then? It was close to finals time and the league docked both teams points, that cost them a finals place. It ended up in court. They lost the case.

Another time we played a spitefull match in Chadstone, can't remember the side's name, we won, many on field fights but the crowd turned nasty and we had to leave the change rooms as a phalanx to stave off the mob. Even so a couple of our guys were king hit. That was really scary stuff. But hey those were the days! Thank God we have moved on.

Without naming clubs, I have played or coached in games that have been called off, the last game of a club that got kicked out of the comp (should have been called off before half time, they should have been out a few games earlier especially after the baseball bat incident), umpires being hit or threatened, a coach sending a player off the bench to king hit one of my players then straight back off the ground, received threatening phone calls the night before a game, numerous all in's on and off the field, players hitting their own teammates, a coach dragging one of his own players from the showers and belting him.

...the good old days.

I hope we have moved on.

Edited by rjay

Some amazing stories, from blokes like me who gave up before they started, to kids who are dreaming big, to blokes in their early-mid 20s who had big dreams that weren't realised, to old guys who hung up the boots years ago who are able to give some insight in to how it was.

Giving myself a pat on the back for starting this thread :) To be honest, I wasn't really expecting this kind of response, I thought I'd get a few responses and it would die. Give people the chance to talk about themselves, I guess... ;)

• Like 9

Did you play when Kink was playing for Melbourne High?

I only remember was it Max Robertson tearing us apart for Melbourne High? Big forward/ruck unit who went on to play for the Swans. I only played one BHHS game as a reserve, I was an outsider, latecomer to the school. As I remember it the teachers didn't pick the side after any training sessions it was compiled by Dennis Crozier and a few mates instead. I could be wrong on that one. A long Time ago. But I do remember coming from another school and athletics being my strength but there were no school sports at all at BHHS.

And rjay I should add getting to the school and asking a kid if I could join in for a kick to kick at lunch time not long after I arrived. Strewth all I saw were the heels of his boots at my eye height from a standing start next to me! I never got a kick. How Gary Marshall never played VfL I will never know. But as you said it takes drive more than talent, perhaps.

Edited by The Hood

I only remember was it Max Robertson tearing us apart for Melbourne High? Big forward/ruck unit who went on to play for the Swans. I only played one BHHS game as a reserve, I was an outsider, latecomer to the school. As I remember it the teachers didn't pick the side after any training sessions it was compiled by Dennis Crozier and a few mates instead. I could be wrong on that one. A long Time ago. But I do remember coming from another school and athletics being my strength but there were no school sports at all at BHHS.

Still see Dennis around from time to time. Rene was the skipper at Melbourne High at the time or so he tells me (ran into him a few years back, not literally), it was in the days where VFL kids could play mid week with the school and on the weekend with their club. We had Alan Goad at Box Hill so he had a few games with us. Melbourne had a lot of VFL level players so they crunched us at city oval, all I remember is the poor kid we had at full back giving it everything he had to punch the ball from Kink in a marking contest and the ball didn't move from his grip.

Unfortunately sport started running down in the high school system, we might have been at the tail end of it. I remember it being strong in my first few years and then just evaporating.

Some amazing stories, from blokes like me who gave up before they started, to kids who are dreaming big, to blokes in their early-mid 20s who had big dreams that weren't realised, to old guys who hung up the boots years ago who are able to give some insight in to how it was.

Giving myself a pat on the back for starting this thread :) To be honest, I wasn't really expecting this kind of response, I thought I'd get a few responses and it would die. Give people the chance to talk about themselves, I guess... ;)

Nasher well done, this thread has been amazing. We should restart it every off season in the dead zone after the draft and before the first preseason games. After all we spend 9 months of the year going on about the Dees in every detail. Why should not we spend a few weeks reminiscing about our own careers in sport however mediocre they may have been. But what is fascinating is discovering that you actually played against people 40 years ago! And reading about kids who have just won their first flag off thir own boot!

25s game over 3 seasons and eventual Captain of Box Hill Tech, 150+ games at Pioneers in ESCFA in A & B grade only and was DVC for a couple of seasons.

Vice captained U 17 Interleague side against West Gippsland League, had a few training runs at Hawthorn and a couple of years at the Zebra's in the EFL.

Played a bit of footy with Crozier and Marshall at Pioneers. Marshall was a freak but a touch undersized. I was always a full back, could kick it a bit.

Still see Dennis around from time to time. Rene was the skipper at Melbourne High at the time or so he tells me (ran into him a few years back, not literally), it was in the days where VFL kids could play mid week with the school and on the weekend with their club. We had Alan Goad at Box Hill so he had a few games with us. Melbourne had a lot of VFL level players so they crunched us at city oval, all I remember is the poor kid we had at full back giving it everything he had to punch the ball from Kink in a marking contest and the ball didn't move from his grip.

Unfortunately sport started running down in the high school system, we might have been at the tail end of it. I remember it being strong in my first few years and then just evaporating.

I think you could add Peter Welsh to that list of players as well. Very handy on baller. Played for the Hawks and the Tigers, premiership player? I think he has passed away since.

25s game over 3 seasons and eventual Captain of Box Hill Tech, 150+ games at Pioneers in ESCFA in A & B grade only and was DVC for a couple of seasons.

Vice captained U 17 Interleague side against West Gippsland League, had a few training runs at Hawthorn and a couple of years at the Zebra's in the EFL.

Played a bit of footy with Crozier and Marshall at Pioneers. Marshall was a freak but a touch undersized. I was always a full back, could kick it a bit.

Ross Tucker? I am guessing 200 meter runner as well. Played one game in under 17's agianst you at full forward. Kicked 1.2 if I remember. Edited by The Hood

Played for the bloods, captained the u14's, then for the sharks, did my knee, game over, played full forward, ruck then half back flank as the other caught up to me, sound familiar?

• Lots of junior footy.
  • 2 premiership years in Canberra footy (Manuka)
  • Year in SANFL - 2s only (Sturt: Oatey, Bagshaw, Whelan, Murphy, Davies et al)
  • Bit of Adelaide amateurs after

Bagshaw! Dead set champion. Went to uni with his son who sadly shied away from football due to the huge, dark shadow of expectation that preceded him. Great bloke.

Yep, remember that game and winning the flag the week after. Alle was a good example of someone who gave everything to make it in the VFL and is a Hawthorn premiership player. We had a couple of great players at the Pioneers who had more class but not the drive to make it, that story gets told time and again at many clubs I guess. The only other kid that went on from there was Kevin Dyson and I knew Kev when he was a little bloke walking around home with a footy under his arm.

Yes remember that game as well. Played as a ruck rover and was instructed before the game to take out Alle, at all cost, failed miserably. At half time we were instructed to go wide to get around Alle. What do I do? Take a mark early on and ignore a wide lead and kick it straight to Alle. I was then banished to the back pocket for the final quarter. Not my best game. But managed to play in three flags in the seniors after that over 10 years. Good memories and a lot of cans consumed over the journey.

Born with a disability mate.

Played Wheelchair Basketball at school back in the 70's though. No Rules!

Now THAT is a tough game!!!

:)

More inspirational than any of us WYL now that is effort and dedication, just to get out and don't let anything get in your way.

Please don't think I am being patronising in anyway, I really take my hat off to you. Most inspirational thing I ever saw in my life was John Mclean doing an Ironman race, I raced that day and was just blown away by his zest for life and never say die attitude, he was a former top athlete (was playing rugby league in NSW I think) who was hit by a truck whilst out training and left paralysed but never let it get in his way of competing and providing inspiration to others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKh32NIuTJM

Also Team Hoyt a father and son from the United states, they race in marathons, Ironman races and if you are not inspired by their story you have no heart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF7Bv9Rjl0E